(Topic ID: 144979)

People talk crap about my RCT - I just played The Rolling Stones...!?!

By adam12hicks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BOBCADE
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rolling-stonesVE.jpeg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Wow. I'm relatively new to this sport, having fully restored and repaired my family's RollerCoaster Tycoon machine thanks to many of this board's members' assistance. We really love the game although I'll admit the gameplay is relatively shallow. The ramps, colors and features are definitely cram packed though.

Our local Dave and Busters amusement center just brought in a Tron and a Rolling Stones pin, so I was excited to have a chance to play another pinball machine near my home. I couldn't believe how incredibly cheap they felt compared to my machine, and how little there was going on. It literally seemed like they had half the lights and features, and the Rolling Stones game was just one big hot mess. The flow was bad, the theme was bad, the music clips were bad. It's as if they had a quota to make and just threw something out there because they had to. Amazing to see the ebbs and flows in Stern's quality and gameplay.

Sorry - no point for this post other than the fact that I was blown away at how bad that machine was - and how much it actually made me appreciate my lowly RCT. Troll doll and all.

Adam

#2 8 years ago

Find a Bally El Toro. I played it because someone suggested it was the worst game ever made. It will make you appreciate TRS.

#3 8 years ago

I like RCT. Do yourself a favor and reset the game to Extra Hard, no modes, and only start with 1 ride lit. It makes you work for it then. It brings out what Pat was really building in my opinion. You want another ride? Hit them drops. You want Sody Pop? EAT targets. When you earn Multiball it is more fun.

BUT... Don't go bad mouthing Tron. It is an amazing game. And I wouldn't even put down TRS. It is a fine little game for a few plays on location.

#4 8 years ago

You are new to the sport but an old pro at crapping on some other game to make yourself feel better about yours.

Some like rct. Some think it blows. Just like every other game on earth.

Not sure what Rolling Stones and Tron have to do with it. Not that it matters but Tron absolutely destroys rct in every way. I prefer stones as well but most people dislike that one so...yay rct I guess?

#5 8 years ago

What a stupid thread, just lock n close it please

Also, I can see how much you appreciated Pinside's help with your restoration due to you site donation (sarcasm obviously)

#6 8 years ago

op has a point, I mean, how many RCT vault speculating threads pop up every day.

#7 8 years ago

TRS has some great flow. You need to learn how to play the game.. something most people don't bother to do on that machine. Tron is an excellent game as well--one of Stern's best.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Also, I can see how much you appreciated Pinside's help with your restoration due to you site donation (sarcasm obviously)

Your account should be locked for such an a-hole post. If you don't like it, move on.
If you have something to say pertaining to the OP, address it like an adult.

#9 8 years ago

This is interesting, I've never played TRS so I can't defend that or say anything good about that not played RCT for years so can't say a lot about that other than I didn't like it too much.

However if you think that just because a machine is cram packed with toys and ramps etc that makes it a better game than a simple game like Tron or if you are even trying to bring Tron down to the level of RCT or have guilt by association with Tron and TRS both being from a certain time period. I have to defend Tron.

I believe Tron is the top3 Stern games of all time (just on my humble opinion) and I've sold several top10 games like TZ and TOTAN but think Tron is as good even though it's not cram packed with toys.

We've had countless car and steak analogies that I can give but I'd rather give a music analogy.

Beethoven's song 'Für Elise' is simple and basic and not cram packed with anything, mostly I've heard it on a piano. Not high tech or anything special about the song but overall it's one of the better songs in the history of music (IMO).

Then take any song by Limp Bizkit you can have all kinds of guitars and synthesizers and drums (whatever the hell they use) you'd say packed with stuff. But I guarantee you none of their songs are as good as 'Für Elise'.

#10 8 years ago

Isn't the really interesting point is that there are pinball machines in a Dave and Busters? Is pinball coming back to D&B?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Isn't the really interesting point is that there are pinball machines in a Dave and Busters? Is pinball coming back to D&B?

Caught my eye as well.

#12 8 years ago

I did notice my PotC is as packed as AcDc premium and much more packed than Tron.

#13 8 years ago

I hate when people talk crap about my game, so let me talk crap about some other games....

#15 8 years ago

How dare you have your own opinion!
Burn him he's a witch.oh and rct is fun as hell btw.....

#16 8 years ago

We just got a new D&B's here....calling them now to see...........Joey

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

We just got a new D&B's here....calling them now to see...........Joey

Fingers crossed

#18 8 years ago

Open at 11... ..........Joey

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

your heart is dark...doesn't that mean your donation has expired???

#20 8 years ago

So, some guy has an RCT for sale. He overpaid for it. To get back what he paid he has created this fake account and attempted to pump the RCT in value by comparing it one of the better games of all time. At least you tried....terribly at that.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from angus:

There was a pic in the D&B pinball thread a while back of this TRS and Tron. A little less than $2 per credit.

#22 8 years ago

It is hard sometimes especially when people pump up certain pins, hate on your pins and talk like their opinions are facts, but I would not go on Pinside hating on games others own and enjoy. If you saw someone in person would you go off on how bad their games that they own are? Things change also. You may like Tron or TRS in the future if you put 20 games on it in a home environment. Nothing is set in stone on your pin favorites. This is a good thing.

Interesting that your D & B got no longer in production Sterns over new ones that they make currently?

#23 8 years ago

I like TRS far more than I like RCT, but in the way of themes it should be opposite.

Ah well.

#24 8 years ago

One positive thing to come from this thread is now I need to visit my local DnB to see if they've brought any pins back in

#25 8 years ago

I guess with the thumbs down it's my bad and RCT really is a way better game than Tron. Silly me!

#26 8 years ago

This also shows the enjoyability of a game in your home (clean, dialed in, appreciate what it has to offer) vs many routed, location games (not 100%, poorly lit or dirty, low sound, not enough games to appreciate all it offers)

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I guess with the thumbs down it's my bad and RCT really is a way better game than Tron. Silly me!

#28 8 years ago

I bought a RCT a long time ago because it was a Lawlor pin & I had a Monopoly that I loved. It's cool looking with the multicolored metal ramps plus it's fun to watch the ball loop around the playfield. The troll though. Ugh. That game didn't last long. But that's the beauty of pinball. Can't please everybody but with so many machines to choose from manufacturers don't have to! Seems like most people hate Monopoly but I loved mine and kept it for 13 years.

Tron kicks major ass though and it's never leaving my house!

We had a RS in league for a long while and I hated it until I started to figure out the rules. Then I hated it less. Mick on a stick? There is a nice Dracula parallel there but it's a cheesy toy. It's effective at blocking whatever shot you need though. Great tilt warning though "This is a Stern warning!"

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

No you got thumbs down for being a tool and trashing a guy for getting excited over his first game

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

No you got thumbs down for being a tool and trashing a guy for getting excited over his first game

Sounds more like he just went out of his way to tell us all how cheap tron and TRS are, but his RCT is just the most well built pin of all time. So, I "bashed" him for that.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Sounds more like he just went out of his way to tell us all how cheap tron and TRS are, but his RCT is just the most well built pin of all time. So, I "bashed" him for that.

I love my cheap TRON, one of the best games ever made.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I love my cheap TRON, one of the best games ever made.

I'm with ya. Just shopped one for a buddy with 12,000 plays on it. Was decently maintained on route, but nothing special. No wear or issues other than a small amount on the scoop. Cleaned up looking pretty damn nice. Damn those cheap trons....lol

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

op has a point, I mean, how many RCT vault speculating threads pop up every day.

Not many, but it's only a matter of time before The Stones are on everybody's vault wish list.

rolling-stonesVE.jpegrolling-stonesVE.jpeg

#34 8 years ago

I think it's just a holdover from a bygone era that many of us have. Back in the day things of quality were generally more weighty than cheap stuff. Because the newer Sterns feel lighter than the older ones and the B/W games, many people equate this to being cheap. Our brains will eventually overcome the association.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I think it's just a holdover from a bygone era that many of us have. Back in the day things of quality were generally more weighty than cheap stuff. Because the newer Sterns feel lighter than the older ones and the B/W games, many people equate this to being cheap. Our brains will eventually overcome the association.

You have a good point. By replacing quality from a bygone era with themes from a bygone era many brains have already adapted to the change.

#36 8 years ago

I want to know where this D&B is that has pinballs... I'll drive over there and run a Portal on their Tron. So far I've made Portal on two location Trons and three home owned Trons...I'd like to expand the collection.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Hmmm. I say its not just a feeling... They're lighter because they are more cheaply built. Pop the playfield of a new machine and look at the Chinese Christmas light gauge wiring and the plastic holders that carry them. I started on System 11 tanks, and had to overcome the dislike of the Stern feeling because the games are so fast and fun. I will give the OP points for being creative enough to be a Stern Guy ripping on other Sterns. I don't think I've read that before!

I played TRS at a show, not enough time to really get a feel for it and I couldn't hear it at all, but still had fun. The Mick On A Stick or whatever the hell its nicknamed did look pretty damn sketchy.

Never played Roller Coaster Tycoon, so I watched gameplay videos. Not really a substitute, but it does look cool. The crappy video game license actually hurts it. Too bad they didn't just do it as a rollercoaster themed game in the style of Cyclone.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I want to know where this D&B is that has pinballs... I'll drive over there and run a Portal on their Tron. So far I've made Portal on two location Trons and three home owned Trons...I'd like to expand the collection.

That Dave & Busters is in Euless. I added it to the pin map a couple of months ago.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

That Dave & Busters is in Euless. I added it to the pin map a couple of months ago.

Sweet. I don't pay attention to the pin maps and programs too much, simply because I don't really go out of my way to play location pinball. I'll drive 30 miles to go jack up a Tron high score though. LOL

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Wow. I'm relatively new to this sport, having fully restored and repaired my family's Rollercoaster Tycoon machine thanks to many of this board's members' assistance. We really love the game although I'll admit the gameplay is relatively shallow. The ramps, colors and features are definitely cram packed though.
Our local Dave and Busters amusement center just brought in a Tron and a Rolling Stones pin, so I was excited to have a chance to play another pinball machine near my home. I couldn't believe how incredibly cheap they felt compared to my machine, and how little there was going on. It literally seemed like they had half the lights and features, and the Rolling Stones game was just one big hot mess. The flow was bad, the theme was bad, the music clips were bad. It's as if they had a quota to make and just threw something out there because they had to. Amazing to see the ebbs and flows in Stern's quality and gameplay.
Sorry - no point for this post other than the fact that I was blown away at how bad that machine was - and how much it actually made me appreciate my lowly RCT. Troll doll and all.
Adam

I agree with you. Each their own, though. The biggest letdown music pin has to gnr, though. The new kiss is pretty good even though I think the theme is stupid. Metallica is very good in my opinion.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I like RCT. Do yourself a favor and reset the game to Extra Hard, no modes, and only start with 1 ride lit. It makes you work for it then. It brings out what Pat was really building in my opinion. You want another ride? Hit them drops. You want Sody Pop? EAT targets. When you earn Multiball it is more fun.
BUT... Don't go bad mouthing Tron. It is an amazing game. And I wouldn't even put down TRS. It is a fine little game for a few plays on location.

I am going to put my RCT on "hard" and see how it goes. A lot of people played RCT on route and it was messed up so they totally did not like it, so I will set up my nice condition RCT to challenge them, so they they will think it is OK!

#42 8 years ago

lol you guys overreact much? And I enjoyed Tron and could appreciate the flow and speed. I thought TRS was terrible. Just my opinion - which is what the Internet is best for.

I never said RCT was the best game out there, not by any stretch of the imagination. And for the genius who said I overpaid for my game and am trying to pump it up - check my threads. I bought it in absolutely wonderful condition for $400. Needed a few things and it's now in very very nice shape. It's also not for sale as my 5 kids love it.

So if I overpaid at $400, so be it.

But I do think a large amount of you guys could use a glass of whiskey. I recommend Blanton's or Four Roses single barrel.

To those who were more rational, thank you

#43 8 years ago

Also I'll take one of whatever jrivelli is smoking.

#44 8 years ago

I have to agree on the Rolling Stones but disagree on the Tron.

#45 8 years ago

TRON is one of the best Stern games of all time.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I am an admitted RCT owner and have enjoyed the game thus far. It doesn't blow me away but the value I put on "fun" with it keeps me entertained. While I don't agree with the OP on his opinion of TRS gameplay (I enjoy the "mick on a stick", ramp shots, and ball save popper between the flippers") I can see where it feels a bit cheap in comparison. That doesn't sway me from its fun tho....it just feels different and I like different. TRON should be in everyone's collection but he did say he had fun with it....just one mans opinion on here

I'm going to go with what DaveH suggested and make the game features harder to own during ball play.....good idea man!!!

#47 8 years ago

stopped reading at "our local Dave & Buster's..."

#48 8 years ago

TRS is fugly but it's not the worst shooter. TRON is fantastic. RCT is the one Lawlor game I can't even. Occasionally I'm forced to play it in a tournament and I just want to drain on purpose.

#49 8 years ago

I helped take a TRS out of the box. I was psyched. I was disappointed. Mick on a stick is lame, cheap, stupid. Having the play chop the songs up bouncing between them is annoying. Not at all integrated like AC/DC or Met.

Owned a RCT. Had it in my living room. I liked it and did not mind the troll. Getting MB if fun. But within a few weeks I leaned how to play it to quickly get to Open The Park. When I got to Open The Park twice on ball one it was time to go.

Too many games better than either of these to bother owning.

#50 8 years ago

Taxman, fair analysis. For $400 my RCT has been worth every penny. I'll probably look for a Tron. I'm looking for a Simpsons PP, LoTR or Spider-Man for our next HUO game. Wife wants WOZ but I'm not sure about a $10k game just yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 18.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-talk-crap-about-my-rct-i-just-played-the-rolling-stones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.