Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

The labor shortage is a farce ...the major shortages were reported in states with the highest transmission of covid. I can not blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives for a crappy low wage job

As a hiring manager I can tell you people are not looking for work. I am part of a huge corporation and every worksite is having this same issue. Many long time recruiters have never seen it this bad in their entire careers including some who are 30+ years in.

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It has everything to do with peoples mentality. Anyone who thinks wages should be what they were in the 80's should just give up all their cash and go flip burgers and deal with shitty customers for 3.50/hr. I can't even imagine working in retail/hospitality these days.I'm sure they'd love to pay you that. They may even pay you 3.55 so you can afford dinner. It amazes me how when people get some money they completely forget reality. Then you have those that always had money, and those are the people running the country. No f'ng idea what it is like to actually be broke, and work an actual job.
    So many people here bitch about people on welfare, people wanting handouts, etc....but also want to bitch because people want more money to wait on your selfish asses. Who is anyone here to say $15/hr is too much? How about we judge what you do and what you make? I guarantee there's probably a lot of people around here who get paid more than they should for what they do(including me). (generic, not pointed at anyone specific). I get it, that the majority of people on this forum are older, but our way is not necessarily the right way. Our way is why we are where we are now, whether you want to accept it or not.
    EDIT: change 'your' to 'our'...I'm not exactly young

This isn't reality. In most of these places the margins are very thin. The managers are accountable for payroll and have very little room to work with. Raising wages would in fact mean raising prices and then you would be complaining about the rich guys raising prices so you can't afford your burger. The ones at the top likely have an entire lifes savings at risk and if they raise prices competition will put them out of business. And the workers will just go down the street and find a new job while the guys you are complaining about are left with debt that will never be paid and a lifetime if work down the drain. In life it is good to work your way through the difficult times and over many years you get to a point where you can slow down as you get to point where you make comfortable living. I wouldn't change all the years of struggle my wife and I went through as it made us who we are today. Everyone wants to start at the top without working up the ladder but thats not how it works with 90% of the people.
    Good luck though.

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:I hate to break it to all you business owners, but capitalism isn't perfect, nor fair.

So what system would you like to try that is both perfect and fair? Although it is neither all the alternatives are much worse and have been proven to be throughout history.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

So part of the problem is a lot of boomers including myself have decided to hang it up. That caused a great drain on qualified people in the work force and left a lot of positions to fill. When my generation was growing up it was still acceptable to have a good paying blue collar job. The next generation was influenced to the point that is was no longer cool to be a blue collar worker and that the only way to go was a college degree. So now you have a generation that has not been trained to do the jobs that are in need. Hiring practices will have to be changed to include training and then the pay and benefits will have to be good enough to keep those people that you have just trained. double edged sword with some rough times ahead of us.....I went back to work part time as a contractor because I was bored and to try and get some of these younger adults more training......When it comes to aircraft landing safely when in the NY, NJ and PA area you are counting on some of the knowledge I can pass on to help the guys coming up.

Well I am talking entry level positions. People who are still in school or looking for a foot in the door to a large corporation. No one wants to work through the ranks. Everyone thinks they need to start at the top. When I started working I thought I could do my boss's job just as good as they could. 20 years later I realized why they were in that spot and that it is not as easy as it looks from the bottom.

#280 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It's not all one sided though. While I can certainly concur that what you state is an issue, everyone is complaining, but not asking why it is like that. You call them lazy, but the business owners who have worked their asses off are also the ones who raised them. I know few parents are going to come out and say "I raised a spoiled child", but I can guarantee most of them worked their asses off and provided for them, and called them special, and wanted them to not have a hard life and have to work as hard as they did, and wanted them to be their friends. That was OUR generation. We hated watching what our parents went through. We wanted better for our kids....and many gave a better life to them. And...well..here we are. It was our generation who's kids just never moved out. I find that insane. I couldn't wait to get out left the day after I graduated. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Maybe not being your kids friend, and making them WANT to leave and prove to be better than you is more motivating than handing them everything. (not saying this is the case, just making a point).
    Who's to say they aren't right though and screw normal BS rat race jobs? It isn't them suffering, it's clearly 'us' who don't have our slaves building all our toys for us, etc. Remember when our parents said our generation was lazy and wasting all our time on computers and games? Things change. Whether you want them to or not.
    Another, huge part of this equation that I don't think anyone has brought up is that with the rise of social media, it seems that instant gratification has risen to extremes and that many are so addicted and wanting that 'fame' they think comes with 'friends' that they'd rather do that than work. I'm not saying money from this sort of thing isn't good, but I think many forgo other things simply for the thrill of being noticed (even if they aren't making money). Have you seen how many people exclaim how many followers they have constantly? That seems to be more important to them, or they mistakingly believe that will lead them to riches.

You are way too invested in this thread.

#285 2 years ago

Everyone is up in arms about wage and it is more than that. When you have a steady stream of applicants for decades and then it instantly stops and then jobs sit for 9+ months with 0 applications I can promise you there is something more going on.

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

You say I'm invested, and try to shame me

I do apologize. I had no idea you were so sensitive to take it that way. Ill kerswoosh and move along. Have fun debating the world.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomass.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-are-flipping-everything-?tu=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.