Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 2 years ago

I'm curious, why would Bitcoin mining need high end graphics cards? Don't you just need regular old fast processors? Is there much graphics involved?

Edit: Also in the news today our local Electricity supplier Ameren has been running a Bitcoing mining operation. They have gotten $40K so far on a $1 Million investment.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I have the same conversation with my family. I find it very strange to buy gifts for adults. I don’t expect gifts, I can buy what I want, most gifts go to charity. Also the adults in my family can afford what they want. This why I enjoy thanksgiving more…food and football!!

We only do gifts for our parents and our siblings kids. We figure once you have kids the gifts go to them. Our parents still get us stuff plus the kids. I imagine once I have grandkids I'll still be spreading it all around.

For my parents we long ago switched to consumables. My loves it when I bring in a huge load from Trader Joe's becuase they don't have one.

For our adult friends, we do a white elephant/steal your neighbor every year. I mostly regift crap my mom and aunt give me the year before.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the sooner people realize that this isn't some sort of cookie-cutter problem caused by {insert name of either current or former US President} their misery index will go down. The pandemic + Suez canal blockage + rise of cryptomining has absolutely blown up the global supply chains. People need to chill and realize this stuff will take time to unwind.

I just want my damn, new sectional couch. Yeah, it sucks it takes 6 months now, but we still have a couch to sit on in the mean time.

I can't deny though since mid 2019 we have been on a buying spree. I bought my a pin with having none in several years, we went on vacation for the first time in a very long time, bought a new house, and have paid contractors to do a lot of unecessary upgrades to the new house. The problem is everyone else seems to be doing the same. My patio that I commissioned in April is just now getting done. Labor is really bad. My new post man probably really hates us because we get 1 to 3 Amazon packages a day. Just normal stuff, but with free returns we'll ship in 5 pairs of shoes and pick one. You get the idea.

The government supplied a lot of the money for this and we were never out of work. Plus, not paying summer vacation for four kids in 2020 opened up a lot of spending. I swear, I'm getting $1K check ever month for my kids from the IRS. I know I need to save about half of that though because of my tax liablilites. How many people don't think ahead like that and will be cought with their pants down on April 15, 2022?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the sooner people realize that this isn't some sort of cookie-cutter problem caused by {insert name of either current or former US President} their misery index will go down. The pandemic + Suez canal blockage + rise of cryptomining has absolutely blown up the global supply chains. People need to chill and realize this stuff will take time to unwind.

Now it appears to be a shipping and labor problem. Why aren't people working? The jobs are fucking there for the taking.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

Before divorces and deaths, I convinced the adults to do a white elephant gift exchange. The rules were to buy a gift you want and the minimum was $50. I would always buy $100 in scratchers…that would always create a frenzy.

Yeah, scratchers, gas gift cards, and boozes, you can't go wrong.

Edit: Sorry for the serial posting above.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

The labor shortage is a farce ...the major shortages were reported in states with the highest transmission of covid. I can not blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives for a crappy low wage job

Well, we can't hire much of anything for maintenance workers at my place right now. We used to have 30 applicants for an entry position, now maybe 5, but only 2 show up. Then they have to pass the drug test. This is with a salary increase, plus extra for snow plowing.

Edit: We could hire 50 people right now.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Secondly, especially in retail/hospitality, people are very much over the rude people. And yes, people have become complete and utter assholes thinking that rules do not apply to them regardless of where they are or who's property they are on.

Sounds like my kids. Where did I go wrong?

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Wait until news of this reaches the Filet-O-Fish thread.
    People will be flipping sandwiches for at least $15 depending on what state they are in as prices vary from state to state.

Don't say it is true!

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

$15.00 minimum wage makes total sense if you want to pay $16.95 for a whopper.

That does makes sense. Maybe min. wage should be tied to a Big Mac value meal. My first job I had to work one hour to pay for my lunch. That's why I didn't eat out.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Fucking dude with 20 pinball machines complaining about people making $15/hr -- life must be tough.

What does that have to do with anything? Maybe he employees people and $15/hr will cause the need to fire someone to bring everyone else up.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It has everything to do with peoples mentality. Anyone who thinks wages should be what they were in the 80's should just give up all their cash and go flip burgers and deal with shitty customers for 3.50/hr. I'm sure they'd love to pay you that. They may even pay you 3.55 so you can afford dinner.
    It amazes me how when people get some money they completely forget reality. Then you have those that always had money, and those are the people running the country. No f'ng idea what it is like to actually be broke, and work an actual job.
    So many people here bitch about people on welfare, people wanting handouts, etc....but also want to bitch because people want more money to wait on your selfish arrogant asses. Humanity really is disgusting. Who is anyone here to say $15/hr is too much? How about we judge what you do and what you make? I guarantee there's probably a lot of people around here who get paid more than they should for what they do. (generic, not pointed at anyone specific). I get it, that the majority of people on this forum are older, but your way is NOT the right way. Your way is why we are where we are now, whether you want to accept it or not.

Nobody said 3.50/hr should be the norm.

#142 2 years ago

Well you wrote it.

#153 2 years ago

At least he didn't say dick pics.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from Slacker_Quacker:

Few, if any of "the trades" are taught in public schools anymore. When I went through high school, woodshop was where the stoners went for an easy A. And that was only about ten years ago.
    The saddest part about that is most of the trades are easy to learn if you have the time to get experience with them, hence why you used to be able to use your school as proof of apprenticeship. The education system could used some flipping.

Sorry to hear about your bad schools. I graduated in the late 90's and they had classes like network administration and lasers. The laser one was a joke, but hte network admin class lead to certification and possible real jobs.

Edit: this was public school in Missouri

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I already started that thread…seriously

I would have figured it was Odin. Rest in Piece his Pinside soul.

#268 2 years ago

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but to actually answer the question the thread title poses is, I believe one reason is right now it is easier than ever to be a flipper. There are so many more outlets for a private individual to resell their stuff than 10 years ago or more. About anything I post on FB Marketplace, if priced right, sells almost instantly. I've even sold collectibles on FB MP and was willing to sit on the price until I found the right buyer. I have purchased items from Mercari and browsed other selling aps when searching for an item that I want.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanstl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-are-flipping-everything-?tu=ryanstl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.