Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why on earth would anyone want a Pokémon card?

Assuming you are trolling, but if not, they are for the collectible card game, not like baseball cards with pokemon on them. Probably the most popular CCG in the world behind Magic.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

There is a huge shortage of skilled professionals. Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, etc. For some reason the younger generation was told this is not a good career. I know a bunch of people who started in these professions and eventually went into business for themselves. They are very well off.

Because the "younger generation" was told this by the "older generation". You have to go to college, you have to get a degree, etc etc etc. You know who was requiring degrees (and basically ANY degree as long as you went to college) for the most basic entry level jobs? It sure wasn't the "young generation".

My favorite part of the people who get off on the idea of keeping people poor is when you ask them what it would take for them to work those jobs. You willing to go work a fast food job for $8 bucks an hour and shitty (if any benefits)? What about $15? I know I'm not...so why are you shocked when no one else wants to either?

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I get that we are at a point where people realize they don't want to work shitty jobs where they are unappreciated. With that said not every job is intended to support a family. I would bet very few if any Pinsiders are currently working fast food. But I bet a lot have. Many jobs are starter jobs. It's for kids who want gas and spending money, not pay a mortgage. If you're 40 working at McDonalds, complaining you can't send your kids to college then you may be the problem.

So in your world, are you assuming people working at McDonalds at 40 that have a family of college age kids are doing so by choice and not out of necessity?

You don't see the fact there are people in these situations working these jobs and people saying "you don't deserve $15 dollars an hour" (for work you aren't willing to do yourself...which is about $30K a year BEFORE taxes) as the problem? I know it's equalivent to profanity these days, but when people talk about privilege, this is what they're talking about...

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Can't buy a new Nintendo switch, Xbox X or a PS5 in any retail store or online. But the nice people on Ebay, Craig's List and Offer Up seem to have plenty of them in stock. That must be why they are charging hundreds of dollars over MSRP. It's a convenience fee.

Different from the convenience fee you charged on your toppers, playfields, WoZ mod, and Halloween spot though.

#196 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Woz mod I sold for a loss
    Walking Dead Topper I sold for a loss
    Playfield selling the Shrek for a loss that still did not sell
    South Park Playfield I bought for 1200 and the box got water damaged so I will not sell to another person. Another loss
    Halloween sold but then donated twice. Still upset my wife does not want the game in our Family gameroom. Never bought to flip.
    Not sure where you are going with this.

The same place you are. You're charging more than MSRP for something and then criticizing people for it in the same post. You're "taking a loss" but still selling (and clearly buying) things for more than retail.

#205 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

So if I'm buying for more then retail and I do not like the product or I need to sell it I should sell it for even a bigger loss? There is a huge difference if the persons sole intention is to buy up all of the inventory and gouge the resale market. That is what we are talking about here. Someone told me about the term "Bots" These are computer programs that buy up all of the pre orders for a person or a group of people with the sole intention of controlling the resale market for that product.
    If you bought a pin and did not like it God forbid we broke even or turned a small profit on a game. I have been loosing money on my pinball habit for years.

So if someone buys a new Xbox or PS5 should they have to sell it at exactly what they paid? Who dictates how much profit they "should" make or how much of a loss they should have to take? You?

Are the people running the bots that buy stuff and resell it for more than MSRP bad, but you reselling a Halloween spot for more than MSRP because " your wife doesn't want it" good?

Now you're telling me your motivation for a profit dictates if you're good or bad?

For someone who is "a huge fan of capitalism" I'm not sure you totally understand it.

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Pretty sure we found out who bought all of the Playstation 5's for resale.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"37543317ce5ea25a0a408f8eade57def9cc8254f-1635352124-1800"};
    //]]>

Let's just say we disagree on this. I will go now and retire off my Halloween profits.

Sure, we can say what ever you want. Keep buying high, selling at a loss, and complaining about it here until you get called out for doing everything you're complaining about. You've certainly given me a lot to reflect on here.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I just passed on a ps5 buy deal. It was direct from Sony, with a 48 hour window. I passed because of multiple reasons.
    Number one. Cash. I don’t need to spend the money.
    Number two. Not too many games I even care about yet.
    Number three.
    They seem to have completely excluded the local gaming stores from any profit or access on system sales. This includes big box stores. No target or Walmart availability since launch.
    I kind of miss when they were available at the stores.
    I’ll get one maybe. Someday. I believe ps5 is losing a lot of revenue, including my own.

I'm in the same drawing and I'd like to grab one if my name comes up.

#259 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Others have already explained this better than I can. The $8/hr burger flipping jobs were never meant to be $15/hr "living wages" to support families and pay mortgages. They are ENTRY level jobs to the working world, not to Microsoft. McDonald's ain't asking u for a degree to drop some fries.
    Buy some gas, a movie, some cds, that kinda shit. Not feed 3 kids and pay rent.

No, you've explained half the story. Unfortunately that's not the world we live in. Walk into your local McDonalds and let me know how many "entry level" workers you find vs. people there over 30, 40, etc. You think all these people want to be there because the job is so glamorous and fulfilling? Thats the second half you're leaving out - the system is designed to keep people poor and the cycle going. You know who benefits from keeping wages low? Wealthy people.

Pinball machines were never designed to be owned by people in their homes either...it hasn't seemed to stop us though.

#263 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

There are so many resources out there for someone that wants to learn a new skill. Free online training, scholarships, school loans for low income individuals, companies offering to pay for classes, etc.
    If someone wants to learn something they can. The problem is most people would rather bitch that they can't get a higher paying job than busting their ass learning a new skill.

You're assuming people have these resources and time available to them. While I'm sure there are some people who just want to coast through life doing nothing, you honestly believe everyone in poverty has made a a conscious choice to ignore all of this and prefers to stay poor? I know "privilege" is a bad word on here but this is a textbook definition. Are you that opposed to paying someone 30K a year BEFORE taxes, benefits, etc that you dont see low wages as a problem? The answer is just as simple as "be less poor"?

I'm sure all the business owners on here are jumping at the chance to hire someone who's resume includes "free online training". Then they get a living wage?

#269 2 years ago

I have no idea what their choices are, nor do you. If you want something bad enough you make time. The resources are all over the Internet.

Yeah, you can stick your privilege right back where you found it. I got where I'm at today by busting my ass and burning the candle at both ends. I still put in 10-12 hour days every day and 6 - 8 hour days on the Saturday and Sunday.

The simple answer is work harder. If you don't like your current situation you change it. Most of my business owner fiends would be MORE than happy to have someone that showed up for work wanting to work let alone someone that took some initiative trying to learn a skill themselves. Hell, most of them can't even get someone to show up for an interview.

Hard to believe people don't want to show up at an interview to be paid peanuts for jobs most of us would refuse to do.

Your friends are actually hiring these people then I assume?

Sorry about your work schedule, have you tried taking some free online classes or going back to school to get a job that pays more so you don't have to work as much?

Again, not eveyone is as fortunate as us. You could use the internet resources you keep harping on to take 10 seconds and actually see that for yourself:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/22/digital-divide-persists-even-as-americans-with-lower-incomes-make-gains-in-tech-adoption/

#283 2 years ago

At no point in time did I say anything about people being lazy. I said that IF you want it, you go get it. Not everyone has the same drive and desire, so if someone is fine with working at McDonalds for minimum wage then so be it. Sitting around bitching for a higher wage is a lot easier than going back to school and busting your ass to go get that higher wage.

Did I at any point mention what positions were being hired for and what the pay was for those positions? I'm sick of people taking a comment, twisting it into a knot to fit their argument and then spitting out a pile of crap.
    How do you know the job pays peanuts and isn't something "most of us" wouldn't want? You don't and are just pulling that out of your ass to fit your argument.

I appreciate the sarcastic comment. I have plenty of degrees already and am content right where I'm at. If I cared so much about working those hours then I'd do something about it. Which is my entire damn point. If you don't like your situation, you change it.
    When did personal responsibility go out the window? Ugh.

I mean I can't go 15 rounds with someone that isn't able to see the world past their own situation. For how fired up you are about me "making assumptions" your whole argument is based on your assumption that poor people are simply lazy and have all the same time and tools and opportunities that you do. That couldn't be further from the truth and there's clearly nothing I can say to convince you to look past yourself.

When did empathy and understanding for others go out the window?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantopia.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-are-flipping-everything-?tu=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.