Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 86 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Work Hard Play Hard!

Oh stop with the modesty…bust out the Ferrari pics…we all love that shit

#152 86 days ago

There's other threads for that.

#153 86 days ago

At least he didn't say dick pics.

#154 86 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Work Hard Play Hard!

Yeah, Mr. Fucking Dude Don't take what I'm saying personally. As callous as I'm sounding nothing but the utmost respect for ppl bringing up their own company. Sadly, it's a touchy subject that not everyone is going to agree what the path forward is. Most of my angst is to those who treat their employees and consumers like cattle and would kill your first born if it would bring the market share up.

#155 86 days ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Try New Egg Shuffle. Daily fair random drawing for new video cards at close to retail prices.

I’m on it, but prices are too high. I haven’t seen anything close to retail. More like double retail.

#156 86 days ago

There is a huge shortage of skilled professionals. Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, etc. For some reason the younger generation was told this is not a good career. I know a bunch of people who started in these professions and eventually went into business for themselves. They are very well off.

#157 86 days ago

#158 86 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

There is a huge shortage of skilled professionals. Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, etc. For some reason the younger generation was told this is not a good career. I know a bunch of people who started in these professions and eventually went into business for themselves. They are very well off.

Few, if any of "the trades" are taught in public schools anymore. When I went through high school, woodshop was where the stoners went for an easy A. And that was only about ten years ago.

The saddest part about that is most of the trades are easy to learn if you have the time to get experience with them, hence why you used to be able to use your school as proof of apprenticeship. The education system could used some flipping.

#159 86 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That's the capitalism everyone loves right?

Capitalism is great .....Unchecked Capitalism creates wage slaves, most of the regulations and rules that were repealed have brought us to this reality

#160 86 days ago
    Quoted from Slacker_Quacker:

Few, if any of "the trades" are taught in public schools anymore. When I went through high school, woodshop was where the stoners went for an easy A. And that was only about ten years ago.
    The saddest part about that is most of the trades are easy to learn if you have the time to get experience with them, hence why you used to be able to use your school as proof of apprenticeship. The education system could used some flipping.

Sorry to hear about your bad schools. I graduated in the late 90's and they had classes like network administration and lasers. The laser one was a joke, but hte network admin class lead to certification and possible real jobs.

Edit: this was public school in Missouri

#161 86 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

At least he didn't say dick pics.

I already started that thread…seriously

#162 86 days ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I already started that thread…seriously

I would have figured it was Odin. Rest in Piece his Pinside soul.

#163 86 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I would have figured it was Odin. Rest in Piece his Pinside soul.

He posted in it of course. It’s in the basement somewhere

#164 85 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Because the "younger generation" was told this by the "older generation". You have to go to college, you have to get a degree, etc etc etc. You know who was requiring degrees (and basically ANY degree as long as you went to college) for the most basic entry level jobs? It sure wasn't the "young generation".

My favorite part of the people who get off on the idea of keeping people poor is when you ask them what it would take for them to work those jobs. You willing to go work a fast food job for $8 bucks an hour and shitty (if any benefits)? What about $15? I know I'm not...so why are you shocked when no one else wants to either?

#165 85 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It has everything to do with peoples mentality. Anyone who thinks wages should be what they were in the 80's should just give up all their cash and go flip burgers and deal with shitty customers for 3.50/hr. I can't even imagine working in retail/hospitality these days.I'm sure they'd love to pay you that. They may even pay you 3.55 so you can afford dinner. It amazes me how when people get some money they completely forget reality. Then you have those that always had money, and those are the people running the country. No f'ng idea what it is like to actually be broke, and work an actual job.
    So many people here bitch about people on welfare, people wanting handouts, etc....but also want to bitch because people want more money to wait on your selfish asses. Who is anyone here to say $15/hr is too much? How about we judge what you do and what you make? I guarantee there's probably a lot of people around here who get paid more than they should for what they do(including me). (generic, not pointed at anyone specific). I get it, that the majority of people on this forum are older, but our way is not necessarily the right way. Our way is why we are where we are now, whether you want to accept it or not.
    EDIT: change 'your' to 'our'...I'm not exactly young

This isn't reality. In most of these places the margins are very thin. The managers are accountable for payroll and have very little room to work with. Raising wages would in fact mean raising prices and then you would be complaining about the rich guys raising prices so you can't afford your burger. The ones at the top likely have an entire lifes savings at risk and if they raise prices competition will put them out of business. And the workers will just go down the street and find a new job while the guys you are complaining about are left with debt that will never be paid and a lifetime if work down the drain. In life it is good to work your way through the difficult times and over many years you get to a point where you can slow down as you get to point where you make comfortable living. I wouldn't change all the years of struggle my wife and I went through as it made us who we are today. Everyone wants to start at the top without working up the ladder but thats not how it works with 90% of the people.
    Good luck though.

#166 85 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:I hate to break it to all you business owners, but capitalism isn't perfect, nor fair.

So what system would you like to try that is both perfect and fair? Although it is neither all the alternatives are much worse and have been proven to be throughout history.

#167 85 days ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

So part of the problem is a lot of boomers including myself have decided to hang it up. That caused a great drain on qualified people in the work force and left a lot of positions to fill. When my generation was growing up it was still acceptable to have a good paying blue collar job. The next generation was influenced to the point that is was no longer cool to be a blue collar worker and that the only way to go was a college degree. So now you have a generation that has not been trained to do the jobs that are in need. Hiring practices will have to be changed to include training and then the pay and benefits will have to be good enough to keep those people that you have just trained. double edged sword with some rough times ahead of us.....I went back to work part time as a contractor because I was bored and to try and get some of these younger adults more training......When it comes to aircraft landing safely when in the NY, NJ and PA area you are counting on some of the knowledge I can pass on to help the guys coming up.

Well I am talking entry level positions. People who are still in school or looking for a foot in the door to a large corporation. No one wants to work through the ranks. Everyone thinks they need to start at the top. When I started working I thought I could do my boss's job just as good as they could. 20 years later I realized why they were in that spot and that it is not as easy as it looks from the bottom.

#168 85 days ago

So back to flipping pinball machines…

If Stern wanted to end this cycle of a scalpers market for their LEs they could look at the sales model of Ferrari. For anyone who doesn’t know, Ferrari has a sales contract that sets certain ownership rules. Some of this pertains to maintaining the look such as bodywork, color, and badges and some has to do with functionality such as not modifying the engine or lifting the car, god knows why anyone would want to do that. The idea is to maintain the integrity of the brand, that there shouldn’t be any Ferrari that doesn’t look and perform as intended. That’s not really important here.

The important thing that Ferrari does do is set limits on how you can sell your Ferrari. The sales contract basically makes Ferrari a co-owner so they can keep some control over their product in the market. The first part is accomplished because Ferrari doesn’t allow you to sell with in a year. This is purely to prevent flippers reselling limited editions taking advantage of limited supply.

Secondly, you have to notify Ferrari when you intend to sell, because they have the option of buying the vehicle back. Finally with certain very special editions, your sales contract stipulates that’s you can only sell back to Ferrari. There are no private party sales. They do all this to keep control over the market of their product. Some of these might be too extreme, but Stern could do more to limit this secondary market that now controls their product pricing ultimately drives customers away from their product from sticker shock.

#169 85 days ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

So back to flipping pinball machines…
    If Stern wanted to end this cycle of a scalpers market for their LEs they could look at the sales model of Ferrari. For anyone who doesn’t know, Ferrari has a sales contract that sets certain ownership rules. Some of this pertains to maintaining the look such as bodywork, color, and badges and some has to do with functionality such as not modifying the engine or lifting the car, god knows why anyone would want to do that. The idea is to maintain the integrity of the brand, that there shouldn’t be any Ferrari that doesn’t look and perform as intended. That’s not really important here.
    The important thing that Ferrari does do is set limits on how you can sell your Ferrari. The sales contract basically makes Ferrari a co-owner so they can keep some control over their product in the market. The first part is accomplished because Ferrari doesn’t allow you to sell with in a year. This is purely to prevent flippers reselling limited editions taking advantage of limited supply.
    Secondly, you have to notify Ferrari when you intend to sell, because they have the option of buying the vehicle back. Finally with certain very special editions, your sales contract stipulates that’s you can only sell back to Ferrari. There are no private party sales. They do all this to keep control over the market of their product. Some of these might be too extreme, but Stern could do more to limit this secondary market that now controls their product pricing ultimately drives customers away from their product from sticker shock.

Guess I won’t be buying a Ferrari.

#170 85 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I hate to break it to all you business owners, but capitalism isn't perfect, nor fair.

Capitalism is as perfect and fair as an economics system can be.

Unfortunately the pols and their cronies have bastardized it beyond recognition in the US just like any system in any other country.

#171 85 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Unfortunately the pols and their cronies have bastardized it beyond recognition in the US just like any system in any other country.

That's a fair point.

#172 85 days ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

So what system would you like to try that is both perfect and fair? Although it is neither all the alternatives are much worse and have been proven to be throughout history.

I'm not sure there is one, because the biggest flaw is human nature. One single change would improve it. Humanity not being selfish. That is simply all it would take to improve it drastically. Of course, people often like to rhetoricize that as communism.

Quoted from the9gman:

Capitalism is great .....Unchecked Capitalism creates wage slaves, most of the regulations and rules that were repealed have brought us to this reality

Yeah, exactly, and it's all been politicized to the point that people would rather see others suffer to be right, than to accept that maybe things need to be looked at.

#173 85 days ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

My favorite part of the people who get off on the idea of keeping people poor is when you ask them what it would take for them to work those jobs. You willing to go work a fast food job for $8 bucks an hour and shitty (if any benefits)? What about $15? I know I'm not...so why are you shocked when no one else wants to either?

I get that we are at a point where people realize they don't want to work shitty jobs where they are unappreciated. With that said not every job is intended to support a family. I would bet very few if any Pinsiders are currently working fast food. But I bet a lot have. Many jobs are starter jobs. It's for kids who want gas and spending money, not pay a mortgage. If you're 40 working at McDonalds, complaining you can't send your kids to college then you may be the problem.

#174 85 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

…that involves people.

#175 85 days ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I get that we are at a point where people realize they don't want to work shitty jobs where they are unappreciated. With that said not every job is intended to support a family. I would bet very few if any Pinsiders are currently working fast food. But I bet a lot have. Many jobs are starter jobs. It's for kids who want gas and spending money, not pay a mortgage. If you're 40 working at McDonalds complaining you can't send your kids to college then you may be the problem.

It's such a complex issue. While in the past, it is basically true, we must ask, why aren't they going to better jobs then as they get older? For awhile now they've been blaming the boomers for not retiring and opening up positions, automation, student debt, etc, but now we're in a position where supposedly employees are needed, wages are going up, and there's no one taking jobs? Is it simply because of things I stated earlier? There's different unconventional jobs they can do? Things they are good at that we didn't have access to at that young age?

I live in the same town I grew up in. I know people who are working at the same jobs we all were when we were in school 30 years ago. They never changed, and I know the wages aren't great. There could be a number of reasons for this that I'm not privy to, but on the surface it does make you scratch your head.

And to keep it on topic, flipping really does fall into all this, because...capitalism. Supply and demand. All flipping is is another form of revenue that someone figured out. There' s a certain morality tied to the subject though that divides people. On one hand, I think it's fair game for everyone, except when the sales are only opened up for a select *cough* special few - who are usually the haves, not the have nots. So I'm mixed on my thoughts about the subject. Yes, it annoys me I can't get a graphics card for a reasonable price, but I can live without it.

#176 85 days ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I get that we are at a point where people realize they don't want to work shitty jobs where they are unappreciated. With that said not every job is intended to support a family. I would bet very few if any Pinsiders are currently working fast food. But I bet a lot have. Many jobs are starter jobs. It's for kids who want gas and spending money, not pay a mortgage. If you're 40 working at McDonalds complaining you can't send your kids to college then you may be the problem.

The larger part of the problem is that while we remember that our grandparents could support a family working a job at the gas station, increases in healthcare and housing costs have far outstripped wage increases, making that impossible in this day and age. There shouldn’t be a job out there that someone working full time doesn’t earn enough to survive on, but that is the case with some service jobs. McDonalds is notorious for making people “Managers” so they can be forced to work beyond 40 hours without compensation, lowering their hourly wage to below minimum wage.

Additionally executive pay has far exceeded the growth of the pay of other workers, meaning there is a growing inequity that will only keep growing.

The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) estimates that CEO compensation has grown 1,322% since 1978, while typical worker compensation has risen just 18%.

#177 85 days ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I get that we are at a point where people realize they don't want to work shitty jobs where they are unappreciated. With that said not every job is intended to support a family. I would bet very few if any Pinsiders are currently working fast food. But I bet a lot have. Many jobs are starter jobs. It's for kids who want gas and spending money, not pay a mortgage. If you're 40 working at McDonalds, complaining you can't send your kids to college then you may be the problem.

So in your world, are you assuming people working at McDonalds at 40 that have a family of college age kids are doing so by choice and not out of necessity?

You don't see the fact there are people in these situations working these jobs and people saying "you don't deserve $15 dollars an hour" (for work you aren't willing to do yourself...which is about $30K a year BEFORE taxes) as the problem? I know it's equalivent to profanity these days, but when people talk about privilege, this is what they're talking about...

#178 85 days ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Guess I won’t be buying a Ferrari.

For one of the limited production models, you would already need to own multiple others, then put your name on a list and get selected. They really protect the exclusivity of them.

#179 85 days ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Well said and may I add there seems to be a lot of lazy fuckers in the United States at this point in time!Started at Biff Burger at $2.75 per hour thirty years later I’ve graduated my three sons from Indiana University and I have a 36’x20’ inground pool in my backyard.Oh did I mention I was in an orphanage as a kid.American Dream baby

#180 85 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Well said and may I add there seems to be a lot of lazy fuckers in the United States at this point in time!Started at Biff Burger at $2.75 per hour thirty years later I’ve graduated my three sons from Indiana University and I have a 36’x20’ inground pool in my backyard.Oh did I mention I was in an orphanage as a kid.American Dream baby

All it would have taken is one errant thing to derail your whole life. Think about that for a moment. While I certainly agree there are a lot of lazy fuckers, constantly saying "I worked for pennies" doesn't help anyone. I would hold the judgement and see how your 3 sons turn out in 20 years. It is our generation that raised a bunch of lazy, entitled people because of our past work histories and not wanting to see our kids worked to death like our parents or us.

I worked hard and got where I am because I learned early on no one was going to help me or do anything for me, that included my family.

#181 85 days ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

This isn't reality. In most of these places the margins are very thin. The managers are accountable for payroll and have very little room to work with. Raising wages would in fact mean raising prices and then you would be complaining about the rich guys raising prices so you can't afford your burger. The ones at the top likely have an entire lifes savings at risk and if they raise prices competition will put them out of business. And the workers will just go down the street and find a new job while the guys you are complaining about are left with debt that will never be paid and a lifetime if work down the drain. In life it is good to work your way through the difficult times and over many years you get to a point where you can slow down as you get to point where you make comfortable living. I wouldn't change all the years of struggle my wife and I went through as it made us who we are today. Everyone wants to start at the top without working up the ladder but thats not how it works with 90% of the people.
    Good luck though.

It is reality. We are HERE. As I stated, the issue isn't the small companies. They are impacted by everything as well. But, as everyone loves to state, capitalism is great and apparently fair. No one said it would be easy. If the billionaire mega corps put you out of business, that's capitalism. If people cancel you and you go out of business, that's capitalism. If you can't get workers because you can't pay them enough to pay their rent AND eat, so they go somewhere else, that's capitalism. Everyone loves capitalism until it works against them. Then suddenly it's everyone elses fault. It's like people want it both ways...The issue is at the top, not the bottom...people need to start looking at the top, not the people at the bottom asking for more money. Quit blaming the poor, and start blaming the rich. If you are concerned about margins, you aren't the rich we're talking about

This is getting long winded because it isn't a cut and dry thing. TLDR version. If everyone thinks capitalism is the best thing, and nothing needs to change, then the best you can do is be a good person and not screw people over for a $. If you are doing that, then good on you. Is $15/hr the 'answer'. Most likely not. It's an arbitrary number that someone pulled out of a hat specific to a particular location. It's the idea behind it that is important. Ask yourself if your job is worth the 6+ figures you get paid. You are part of the problem too. You are also the reason prices go up.

If you really want change, start looking at your politicians that want to erode worker rights, consumer rights, cut taxes on people who are banking billions more than their employees while allowing them loopholes that cut those margins even more and quit worrying about the little guys who might get a nibble here and there. Are there people who take advantage of the system? Sure, but they aren't making bank like the big corrupt people at the top. Those are who are and have always been screwing this country over, while hiding behind the 'capitalism' front. They need to start doing real hard time.

#182 85 days ago

Ok let’s talk about derailments
    1.Went to detox for three weeks to shake a cocaine and Jack addiction.
    2.Home was destroyed in a tornado
    3. Youngest son had two major brain surgeries
    Kept working and moving forward.
    Life is a result of decisions we make stacked on top of each other

#183 85 days ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Quoted from romulusx:

There are thousands of people in the 30 - 60 year age range working in the fast food industry out of necessity. How many people in that age range were laid off from what was once considered a good paying job? I bet a good portion. A family member of mine had to do something similar at 60 after being laid off from the auto's, he took a job at Walmart for a few years before retirement. Workers like that should be commended. My grandmother grew up in an orphanage and raised 4 kids, one severely handicap, in a 900 square foot house on a relatively modest salary with my grandfather. They never had a big house, fancy cars, etc but they lived a great life and tried to give their handicap daughter the best life they could.

Personally I say don't ever brag about how many pins you have, the size of your pool, how nice your house is, etc. Be grateful and thankful for what you have. Realize for a moment how many people out there are struggling despite working their tails off.

#184 85 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Seems like this entire thread got derailed. Weren’t we talking about “the price of pins is too damned high”?

#185 85 days ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Seems like this entire thread got derailed. Weren’t we talking about “the price of pins is too damned high”?

That's not what this thread was specifically about but it all ties in believe it or not.

#186 85 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

1.Went to detox for three weeks to shake a cocaine and Jack addiction.
    2.Home was destroyed in a tornado
    3. Youngest son had two major brain surgeries
    Kept working and moving forward.
    Life is a result of decisions we make stacked on top of each other

Accountability is the word you are looking for. And I agree. One thing is certain, people are not held to the same standards of accountability in this country.

People are calling for the heads of people making a few grand off flipping pinballs, all because they can't get their hands on one, or too pricey, while at the same time defending low wages. Figure that one out.

#187 85 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There are thousands of people in the 30 - 60 year age range working in the fast food industry out of necessity. How many people in that age range were laid off from what was once considered a good paying job? I bet a good portion. A family member of mine had to do something similar at 60 after being laid off from the auto's, he took a job at Walmart for a few years before retirement. Workers like that should be commended. My grandmother grew up in an orphanage and raised 4 kids, one severely handicap, in a 900 square foot house on a relatively modest salary with my grandfather. They never had a big house, fancy cars, etc but they lived a great life and tried to give their handicap daughter the best life they could.
    Personally I say don't ever brag about how many pins you have, the size of your pool, how nice your house is, etc. Be grateful and thankful for what you have. Realize for a moment how many people out there are struggling despite working their tails off.

I commend anyone who is doing the best they can. And it's true you don't need it all to have a fulfilling life. We are responsible for our own happiness.

#188 85 days ago

Ya...flipping out

#189 85 days ago

Can't buy a new Nintendo switch, Xbox X or a PS5 in any retail store or online. But the nice people on Ebay, Craig's List and Offer Up seem to have plenty of them in stock. That must be why they are charging hundreds of dollars over MSRP. It's a convenience fee.

#190 85 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Can't buy a new Nintendo switch, Xbox X or a PS5 in any retail store or online. But the nice people on Ebay, Craig's List and Offer Up seem to have plenty of them in stock. That must be why they are charging hundreds of dollars over MSRP. It's a convenience fee.

Different from the convenience fee you charged on your toppers, playfields, WoZ mod, and Halloween spot though.

#191 85 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Everyday I come home from work tired and sweaty I take a second and look at my house and I'm grateful.
    I like to think of Talking Heads once in a lifetime.Is this my beautiful home?Is this my beautiful wife?Oh I'm grateful I was just making the point that if your work hard and don't give up.

#192 85 days ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Different from the convenience fee you charged on your toppers, playfields, WoZ mod, and Halloween spot though.

Woz mod I sold for a loss
    Walking Dead Topper I sold for a loss
    Playfield selling the Shrek for a loss that still did not sell
    South Park Playfield I bought for 1200 and the box got water damaged so I will not sell to another person. Another loss

Halloween sold but then donated twice. Still upset my wife does not want the game in our Family gameroom. Never bought to flip.

Not sure where you are going with this.

#193 85 days ago

It's the fast food industries fault folks want to be paid more. They keep calling it a "career" in employment adverts, those jobs were always ment for younger people and old people after retirement to fight bordem. They were never ment Tobe family supporters. The 15 dollar an hour law being forced down throats is going to backfire bad. It was implemented to fast. The last few brand new publix's we put elevators in were mostly self checkout, last Walmart I was in was ALL self checkout.

#194 85 days ago

As long as consumers pay the scalpers, it will continue being this way. But that means you are really asking everyone to resist forces like FOMO, marketing, and straight up desire. Good luck.

#195 85 days ago

When I was in tech school back in the early 90s, one of my teachers ranted one entire class session about how we'd be switching to a service economy as most of the decent manufacturing jobs disappeared and how terrible that would be because service jobs don't pay enough.

And here we are.

#196 85 days ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Woz mod I sold for a loss
    Walking Dead Topper I sold for a loss
    Playfield selling the Shrek for a loss that still did not sell
    South Park Playfield I bought for 1200 and the box got water damaged so I will not sell to another person. Another loss
    Halloween sold but then donated twice. Still upset my wife does not want the game in our Family gameroom. Never bought to flip.
    Not sure where you are going with this.

The same place you are. You're charging more than MSRP for something and then criticizing people for it in the same post. You're "taking a loss" but still selling (and clearly buying) things for more than retail.

#197 85 days ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

As long as consumers pay the scalpers, it will continue being this way. But that means you are really asking everyone to resist forces like FOMO, marketing, and straight up desire. Good luck.

But that holds true for the entire economy. We don't need pinball machines. Many people don't need 1 car, let alone multiple. Apparently people NEED toilet paper.

Where would the world be if everyone only bought essentials? I think it would be a boring life, but would we be at each others throats over things like this and concerned about what the other guy has?

#198 85 days ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

It's the fast food industries fault folks want to be paid more. They keep calling it a "career" in employment adverts, those jobs were always ment for younger people and old people after retirement to fight bordem. They were never ment Tobe family supporters. The 15 dollar an hour law being forced down throats is going to backfire bad. It was implemented to fast. The last few brand new publix's we put elevators in were mostly self checkout, last Walmart I was in was ALL self checkout.

But that started years before the $15/hr talk. It was coming regardless. This just pushed it along.

Quoted from epthegeek:

When I was in tech school back in the early 90s, one of my teachers ranted one entire class session about how we'd be switching to a service economy as most of the decent manufacturing jobs disappeared and how terrible that would be because service jobs don't pay enough.
    And here we are.

Those manufacturing jobs would still be here if the damn line workers didn't want more than .50cents/hr like back in the 30's. I feel this one personally as I watched it happen in real time. Companies sold off because the original owners died/moved on. New management comes in with the explicit job to say 'who'll give me the most money for this company so I can get my golden parachute. Sell it, then the new company promptly moves it to Mexico to maximize profits for their shareholders and executives. But...as some seem to be saying, it's the workers fault for wanting more money.

#199 85 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

But that started years before the $15/hr talk. It was coming regardless. This just pushed it along.

In regards to the self checkouts, absolutely. around here where a 15 dollar an hour bill was passed recently. These things sprang up overnight in all the new construction. So I beleive this law directly killed those entry jobs.

#200 85 days ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

In regards to the self checkouts, absolutely. around here where a 15 dollar an hour bill was passed recently. These things sprang up overnight in all the new construction. So I beleive this law directly killed those entry jobs.

And this is where the division of who we are talking about comes into play. For example, this has been Walmarts plan for a decade. They make billions a year, their executives make hundreds of millions a year. Do they really NEED to do away with checkers? They aren't sitting on razor thin margins, even a decade ago. No, they are doing it to increase their coffers that much more.

As people have pointed out, across the board, this does impact smaller companies differently, and most likely negatively.

The question we need to ask ourselves is, why are we here? What could be done differently that works for everyone? Who has the most leeway that these changes won't impact them. No matter what the answer, not everyone is going to be happy, because human nature generally is look out for yourself above others.

and...that process leads to flipping!

Here's a slightly related story, but slightly different perspective.

Near us there used to be this popular drive in with a HUGE screen. Easily 2x bigger than any others I've seen. It was planted right in the middle of a part of town that had mostly updated to the modern metropolis, except for this property. I believe it was Menard's who came in, offered them as they put it 'more money than I could make in 10 years' and they sold, it was torn down and a mega store put in. For the employees, and for people who loved to go there, it was bittersweet.

Clearly this guy won right? Capitalism at its finest, something most people dream about, but even at its finest, there's a downside to others.

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside