Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif
    There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why on earth would anyone want a Pokémon card?

Assuming you are trolling, but if not, they are for the collectible card game, not like baseball cards with pokemon on them. Probably the most popular CCG in the world behind Magic.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We raised starting wages for my employees this year from $16/hr to $21/hr. Yup, it took a 31% increase to get decent candidates, but it worked. And we charge 30% more for our products and services because of demand. Inflation is a brutal cycle.

$21 is the new $16. How long before the employees complain that they only make $16?

One thing I've noticed at the company I work at is that management has arranged some interesting revenue timing. After taking PPP a second time, there was a requirement to show reduced revenue for the quarter compared to the previous year. During that quarter we basically had no new contracts. The first day of the next quarter we suddenly had a bunch of contracts. Management spent the quarter teeing up new contracts but only executing them after the quarter ended so they could keep the PPP money and have all the business of new contracts...

Meanwhile our pay was frozen due to "the pandemic."

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We raised starting wages for my employees this year from $16/hr to $21/hr. Yup, it took a 31% increase to get decent candidates, but it worked. And we charge 30% more for our products and services because of demand. Inflation is a brutal cycle.

What kind of products and services? Are you getting price pressure in other areas, like materials and rent?

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from seenev:

. Management spent the quarter teeing up new contracts but only executing them after the quarter ended so they could keep the PPP money and have all the business of new contracts...
    Meanwhile our pay was frozen due to "the pandemic."

That sucks.

You should do what so many others are doing, and explore other options than staying with your current employer.

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The jobs suck ass and people are tired of getting screwed for decades. Surely this isn't news to you?

The jobs have always sucked ass, but now you can get paid $15.00 an hour to suck ass.

That was my starting wage as a toolmaker apprentice at Chrysler in 1986.

In 1982, I made $3.35 at my first job, Burger King, where you can now get that same $15.00.

#106 2 years ago

Thing is tho people saying that this is all a hype and that prices will go down...

It will NOT go down , why would I sell a pinball that I just bought for let’s say 10k for 8k , same with my house or whatever . Prices will be prices and as long as people are paying those prices we will always have this massive inflation

#107 2 years ago

n/m too off topic

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

Thing is tho people saying that this is all a hype and that prices will go down...
    It will NOT go down , why would I sell a pinball that I just bought for let’s say 10k for 8k , same with my house or whatever . Prices will be prices and as long as people are paying those prices we will always have this massive inflation

That's been my issue the last year while doing a remodel. I have things that need done, but usually when prices go up, they stay up and go up further....so do you wait and hope prices come down? Or just bite the bullet now, assuming it's only going to get worse. We did actually see wood come back down some so that was a surprise.

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I went to my local Target Friday morning with my wife right when they opened and there was a line of about four or five people they look like basic Bros from the nearby University turns out they were waiting in line for Pokemon cards along with one older dude and the guy came out from Target and said they changed their policy and Pokemon cards are randomly refilled throughout the week they were pretty pissed off that they couldnt flip.

I live near Target and go there a lot. I had noticed many times I went there would be all these people lined up outside the door, and I wondered that the heck they were doing there. Then, I found out it was for Pokemon cards. Then, there were fights in the store over the Pokemon cards. Then, Target stopped selling Pokemon cards in the stores. No more lines, no more fights.

My son was a huge Pokemon fan when he was a little squirt in the 1990s. Probably somewhere in the attic is a stash of those old original Pokemon cards, not sure if those relate to what they are trading these days or if they are worth anything. Also up there are tons of Power Rangers toys, Bionicles, and I don't even want to think about how much Lego.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

My son was a huge Pokemon fan when he was a little squirt in the 1990s. Probably somewhere in the attic is a stash of those old original Pokemon cards, not sure if those relate to what they are trading these days or if they are worth anything. Also up there are tons of Power Rangers toys, Bionicles, and I don't even want to think about how much Lego.

Depending on the condition of those old cards, you could be sitting on a good chunk of cash. There are some old Pokemon cards selling for a lot these days.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Just wait until everyone spends their government/covid money and realized they spent it all on crap they didnt need. It all come crashing eventually.. including housing market.

I spent my stimmy on my second machine, a ToM. Worth every penny. Did I need it? Hell no. But that's what the checks were intended for. To stimulate the economy.

#112 2 years ago

Working is for suckers now days!I make more money trading crypto’s and in the stock market then I did working a 9-5.Basically just buy some Tesla and Bitcoin on the dips,you can’t lose!

#113 2 years ago

You've owned an item for 20 years or 2 hours, whats the difference?

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

Depending on the condition of those old cards, you could be sitting on a good chunk of cash. There are some old Pokemon cards selling for a lot these days.

Yep. I sold my daughter's 1990 cards to a private collector last Friday for 5K. She laughed in the car all the way home.

#115 2 years ago

I'm sitting on a pile of minty cards and uncut press sheets from the early nineties. Much of it is numbered, embossed and limited edition stuff......I should know since I work for the company that printed and packaged it. It's part of my 401K.

John

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You've owned an item for 20 years or 2 hours, whats the difference?

About 175314 hours.

LTG : )

#117 2 years ago

Happened again tonight. I was at the grocery store buying dinner. I had grabbed the last pack of chicken. This lady was like oh hey I need chicken for dinner I’ll give ya 20 bucks for that pack. I was like ok. Then I got pork chops.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

A new video card (3080Ti or 3090) is what is annoying me. Been tracking them for months, no chance of getting one at a reasonable price. While flippers are involved, there are multiple factors, including the supply chain but the main one being cryptomining.

Try New Egg Shuffle. Daily fair random drawing for new video cards at close to retail prices.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHy not just take a break from it this year? Who gives a shit?
    The greatest gift of all is getting together with loved ones, especially after the last couple of years. As much as we all are "big fans of capitalism" it'll be pretty fascinating to see if we can just do without it this holiday season.
    Why stress over a stainless steel toaster?

Or a 20k MB.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I've heard a few different things. A few people ran an experiment and went out and purposely applied at jobs that were known to be complaining about not being able to get workers, and basically never got any calls for interviews. What wasn't stated is what these peoples work/personal record were

I had a guy come in for a position and said he needed nights and weekends off because he was a gamer, and was trying to make it big as a twitch streaming.

#121 2 years ago

Hey just for the record I sold that game last week.

The family that bought it didn’t need it to be happy. But who was I to stop them?

I don’t do the hard sell. I just bring people joy!

#122 2 years ago

I just had 2 birds flipped at me on my way home

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

In 1982, I made $3.35 at my first job, Burger King, where you can now get that same $15.00.

Same here! Inflation calculator says that’s like earning $9.52/hr now. I got a dime raise to $3.45 for becoming Production Leader. Great life lesson, but I still have occasional nightmares that I’m back on the line slinging burgers and fries.

#124 2 years ago

$15.00 minimum wage makes total sense if you want to pay $16.95 for a whopper.

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

The labor market has spoken, pay them $15 or make your own cheeseburger.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

That does makes sense. Maybe min. wage should be tied to a Big Mac value meal. My first job I had to work one hour to pay for my lunch. That's why I didn't eat out.

#127 2 years ago

Making my own cheeseburger then sir. I'm all for fair wages. The key word is fair

#128 2 years ago

Whoppers are nasty anyway. I’ve never been able to eat at Burger King since working there.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Nonsense.

Minimum wage in nyc is $15 and whoppers cost $4.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nonsense.
    Minimum wage in nyc is $15 and whoppers cost $3.

Ewe. Gross.

#131 2 years ago

They are pretty gross, but I don’t think they are made out of ewe.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are pretty gross, but I don’t think they are made out of ewe.

Ewe

#133 2 years ago

New York City is doing great!

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

The labor shortage is a farce ...the major shortages were reported in states with the highest transmission of covid. I can not blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives for a crappy low wage job

As a hiring manager I can tell you people are not looking for work. I am part of a huge corporation and every worksite is having this same issue. Many long time recruiters have never seen it this bad in their entire careers including some who are 30+ years in.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Making my own cheeseburger then sir. I'm all for fair wages. The key word is fair

Fucking dude with 20 pinball machines complaining about people making $15/hr -- life must be tough.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

Fucking dude with 20 pinball machines complaining about people making $15/hr -- life must be tough.

What does that have to do with anything? Maybe he employees people and $15/hr will cause the need to fire someone to bring everyone else up.

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What does that have to do with anything? Maybe he employees people and $15/hr will cause the need to fire someone to bring everyone else up.

It has everything to do with peoples mentality. Anyone who thinks wages should be what they were in the 80's should just give up all their cash and go flip burgers and deal with shitty customers for 3.50/hr. I can't even imagine working in retail/hospitality these days.I'm sure they'd love to pay you that. They may even pay you 3.55 so you can afford dinner. It amazes me how when people get some money they completely forget reality. Then you have those that always had money, and those are the people running the country. No f'ng idea what it is like to actually be broke, and work an actual job.

So many people here bitch about people on welfare, people wanting handouts, etc....but also want to bitch because people want more money to wait on your selfish asses. Who is anyone here to say $15/hr is too much? How about we judge what you do and what you make? I guarantee there's probably a lot of people around here who get paid more than they should for what they do(including me). (generic, not pointed at anyone specific). I get it, that the majority of people on this forum are older, but our way is not necessarily the right way. Our way is why we are where we are now, whether you want to accept it or not.

EDIT: change 'your' to 'our'...I'm not exactly young

#139 2 years ago

I have a ton of people who are employed by my company and we treat them amazing. Perks, bonuses, employee days, paid time off, free raffles, vacations, the list goes on and on. I hate calling them employees as well. Team member is more appropriate. However not every business can afford paying all off there employees $15.00 per hour. Some business require alot of staff. Some business can't just raise there prices to justify the expense. Don't get me flipping started.

And that is Mr. Fucking Dude to you Sir.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It has everything to do with peoples mentality. Anyone who thinks wages should be what they were in the 80's should just give up all their cash and go flip burgers and deal with shitty customers for 3.50/hr. I'm sure they'd love to pay you that. They may even pay you 3.55 so you can afford dinner.
    It amazes me how when people get some money they completely forget reality. Then you have those that always had money, and those are the people running the country. No f'ng idea what it is like to actually be broke, and work an actual job.
    So many people here bitch about people on welfare, people wanting handouts, etc....but also want to bitch because people want more money to wait on your selfish arrogant asses. Humanity really is disgusting. Who is anyone here to say $15/hr is too much? How about we judge what you do and what you make? I guarantee there's probably a lot of people around here who get paid more than they should for what they do. (generic, not pointed at anyone specific). I get it, that the majority of people on this forum are older, but your way is NOT the right way. Your way is why we are where we are now, whether you want to accept it or not.

Nobody said 3.50/hr should be the norm.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Nobody said 3.50/hr should be the norm.

And if that's how you took the point.....

#142 2 years ago

Well you wrote it.

#143 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are blaming "flippers" for unprecedented worldwide trends that are causing unprecedented disruptions in the supply chain.
    "Flippers" are a symptom not a cause. They aren't the reason you can't buy a Cabbage Patch doll.
    I find the whole thing pretty fascinating. Can we all live without the things we don't really need?

Ok I get what your saying but I haven't made my favorite chicken wings for a year now.Gordons Food Service
    4# bag was $13.45 is now $27.85 and I refuse to pay.Seriously I try to put things in perspective like comparing these sacrifices to the folks during WW2.

IMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPG

#144 2 years ago

My son's friend works at Olive Garden as a server and averages $40.00 per hour. He is 18 years old. He works his ass off and gets rewarded for it. I applaud people that work hard as I do. 65+ hours a week for longer then I can remember. Not every first job is worth $15.00per hour starting pay.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

I have a ton of people who are employed by my company and we treat them amazing. Perks, bonuses, employee days, paid time off, free raffles, vacations, the list goes on and on. I hate calling them employees as well. Team member is more appropriate. However not every business can afford paying all off there employees $15.00 per hour. Some business require alot of staff. Some business can't just raise there prices to justify the expense. Don't get me flipping started.
    And that is Mr. Fucking Dude to you Sir.

I hate to break it to all you business owners, but capitalism isn't perfect, nor fair. It's severely skewed to the rich and always has been. While I'm not talking about small businesses (or whatever size you may be), I'm assuming you aren't massive corporation taking 300X your employees salary and catering to shareholders. History shows that given no regulation, and no laws, companies will do whatever they want employees be damned. I know everyone around here likes to take statements about employees and owners personally, but there is no perfect solution and there's generally a big difference between the mentality of a small/medium company and the people who are money over everything massive corporations who are wrecking this country.

People sit here on their podiums talking about all these 'lazy' people and stimulus packages, but guess where all of that money will eventually end up? In some uber rich guys investment account. In general, employees in this country at least have been abused for way too long. Adapt, or go under. That's the capitalism everyone loves right? I can't believe everyone wants things to stay just like they are where everyone has to work to the bone to make a living. Or is it really that people like that feeling of superiority to feel like 'they made it'? I for one am curious where all of this is heading. New blood, new ideas, and hopefully, people are are more concerned about the country, than their own wealth and power.

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Well you wrote it.

Sure, put any number in there you want. It doesn't change the point.

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

I have a ton of people who are employed by my company and we treat them amazing.

Me-money-bin profile pic…how hard are you ballin?

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

Making my own cheeseburger then sir.

In this thread there is no "making cheeseburger", only "flipping burgers" as this is the flipping thread.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Me-money-bin profile pic…how hard are you ballin?

Work Hard Play Hard!

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Many long time recruiters have never seen it this bad

So part of the problem is a lot of boomers including myself have decided to hang it up. That caused a great drain on qualified people in the work force and left a lot of positions to fill. When my generation was growing up it was still acceptable to have a good paying blue collar job. The next generation was influenced to the point that is was no longer cool to be a blue collar worker and that the only way to go was a college degree. So now you have a generation that has not been trained to do the jobs that are in need. Hiring practices will have to be changed to include training and then the pay and benefits will have to be good enough to keep those people that you have just trained. double edged sword with some rough times ahead of us.....I went back to work part time as a contractor because I was bored and to try and get some of these younger adults more training......When it comes to aircraft landing safely when in the NY, NJ and PA area you are counting on some of the knowledge I can pass on to help the guys coming up.

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-are-flipping-everything-/page/3?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.