Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 340 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3984700A-FABD-42E3-8531-56F6712D2F6C (resized).jpeg
    giphy-3.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F623ECD9-AD9D-4B12-B291-9D733A56B611.gif
    flip_3__ev_2.gif
    44254F08-3A36-483B-BAE5-4E01F38910EE.gif
    paulie (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-18 1.41.06 PM (resized).png
    ea38030861f6fb65bec0c6007a762126.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    E704D355-240E-49A0-9BD3-4EA851548981 (resized).jpeg
    D1D4A664-FAAE-4F59-AA8D-4B7DE18DDFF9 (resized).jpeg
    D6CC8B14-FEB3-4F9D-8575-0BE125EC2DFA (resized).jpeg
    Cat VS Cucumber.gif
    il_794xN.2686177670_anrc (resized).jpg
    independence-day-4th-of-july.gif

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 2 years ago

You guys think pinball is bad? You should look in to sports or Pokemon cards. Some of these sports card boxes flip for 2-3 times what you paid

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

You guys think pinball is bad? You should look in to sports or Pokemon cards. Some of these sports card boxes flip for 2-3 times what you paid

This is the biggest surprise for me, just since I never paid much attention to baseball cards but was under the impression the industry died 25 years ago.

Has this been a gradual comeback or a pandemic thing?

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is the biggest surprise for me, just since I never paid much attention to baseball cards but was under the impression the industry died 25 years ago.

Gradual comeback. The game store next to my arcade has paid close attention to the market.
    TCG’s and the collector card markets learned their lesson from the 90s against saturating it to all hell. They are very careful with printing quantities, and their most successful racket has been allocation. They make it extremely hard for anyone even the huge chains to get more than a box or two of cards. Ever been to a target on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s when the Pokémon cards restock? Bedlam!

A few months ago when I was chatting with my buddy at his store, a woman came rushing in yelling, “DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY MORE Pokémon CARDS?”
    My buddy answered no, and suggested Target.
    The woman burst into tears, “I already TRIED and they sold out when I got there at 8am this morning! When will you get your order??”

#54 2 years ago

Why on earth would anyone want a Pokémon card?

#55 2 years ago

I bought the below Sentinel action figure for $350, sold it the day after it arrived for $800 cash. Crazy world!

D579D624-9B63-40B1-9180-B3F4E8D17F53 (resized).jpegD579D624-9B63-40B1-9180-B3F4E8D17F53 (resized).jpeg
    #56 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why would anyone want a pinball machine ?

It's what they are into.

LTG : )

#57 2 years ago

So how are old baseball cards doing? Have a lot from when I was a kid.

#58 2 years ago

What’s Magnesium worth these days?

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

They weigh about 300lbs less than a pinball machine.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Well.......
    Not to be a downer but this country has always had a huge surplus of prescription drugs since most everyone is on something and its a cash cow.
    Since the components for most of these drugs are made overseas there has not been much new stock coming in to make more....
    the surplus is going down and or expiring over time.
    You think people went nuts over toilet paper? wait until they cant get their Oxyconton or whatever in the next year or so.
    Going to look like World War Z

Dear sweet jesus...

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHy not just take a break from it this year? Who gives a shit?
    The greatest gift of all is getting together with loved ones, especially after the last couple of years. As much as we all are "big fans of capitalism" it'll be pretty fascinating to see if we can just do without it this holiday season.
    Why stress over a stainless steel toaster?

Agreed, My family stopped doing gifts years ago. We just get together and have fun and eat well. Gifts are dumb

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I was at the meat market the other day and this huge Russian dude in front of me with a fat gold Rolex bought up like $500 worth of meat….I kept looking at his meat, then his watch…meat-watch-meat-watch, and decided I want a gold Rolex too…

I think I found the right watch for you.

C4FB732E-1B93-47DC-AC3B-A2BBC72A0E4F (resized).jpegC4FB732E-1B93-47DC-AC3B-A2BBC72A0E4F (resized).jpeg
    #63 2 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I bought the below Sentinel action figure for $350, sold it the day after it arrived for $800 cash. Crazy world! [quoted image]

The world is dumb

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

So how are old baseball cards doing? Have a lot from when I was a kid.

My kids cashed in big on some Pokemon cards so I figured I'd check my baseball stash. I had some cards that were super valuable in the 80's and crashed to almost nothing. They are slightly more than nothing now. Hopefully you have some more desirable stuff than I do.

#65 2 years ago

My boys buy pokemon cards, have them graded and sell them on ebay etc. They've tripled their money. It's the new stock market!

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

[quoted image]

Oh, bro', you made me laugh!

#67 2 years ago

I flipped some ground beef today. Last package. Someone said Ill give ya 20 bucks for that beef. I said ok. Had a chicken dinner instead.

#68 2 years ago

My neighbor told me that used bikes are selling for mad money. He tried to order a new Trek road bike, and the dealer said that orders are backed up over a year. Same with cars. I was looking at Porsche Caymans, and there were 4 available in the entire US.

I disagree with drawing a straight line from COVID support checks to supply line problems. I think the pandemic is still playing a big part in this. Everyone is working from home, they look around and decide they need new shit or more shit. Heck, I bought 3 new pins this year, and I usually only buy 1.

#69 2 years ago

One thing people seem to miss is that this isn't just an America thing... the shortages are global. This wasn't caused by people getting tax credits and extra cash in the USA. We are seeing the effect of a world wide supply chain interruption coupled with a huge amount of pent-up demand.

I remember having the conversation with my dad last Spring (a few months before he passed away) about how things were going to go nuts as we start to move out of the pandemic. The supply shock happened over 6-12 months (supply chain interruptions usually have a lagging effect), but then it was coupled with a demand shock from pent up demand and changing consumer spending (less on travel and more on home improvement and hobbies). Some of it was predictable (cars), but no one could have predicted that the collectibles market would sky rocket.

This stuff will be studied for the next 100 years.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I was looking at Porsche Caymans, and there were 4 available in the entire US.

Well that is just ridiculous. Cayman my ass!

#71 2 years ago

I wonder about fishing boats. I've had people ask to buy mine in the last couple years. Seems like they are in demand as well.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Just wait until everyone spends their government/covid money and realized they spent it all on crap they didnt need. It all come crashing eventually.. including housing market.

Right, like a $3000 GOTG topper you are trying to sell? Some of this stuff you can’t make up. Is that a flip or a royal *******?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

One thing people seem to miss is that this isn't just an America thing... the shortages are global. This wasn't caused by people getting tax credits and extra cash in the USA. We are seeing the effect of a world wide supply chain interruption coupled with a huge amount of pent-up demand.
    I remember having the conversation with my dad last Spring (a few months before he passed away) about how things were going to go nuts as we start to move out of the pandemic. The supply shock happened over 6-12 months (supply chain interruptions usually have a lagging effect), but then it was coupled with a demand shock from pent up demand and changing consumer spending (less on travel and more on home improvement and hobbies). Some of it was predictable (cars), but no one could have predicted that the collectibles market would sky rocket.
    This stuff will be studied for the next 100 years.

Shh, the gullible love to blame those dastardly evil master planning poor for their unhappiness.

#74 2 years ago

I'm curious, why would Bitcoin mining need high end graphics cards? Don't you just need regular old fast processors? Is there much graphics involved?

Edit: Also in the news today our local Electricity supplier Ameren has been running a Bitcoing mining operation. They have gotten $40K so far on a $1 Million investment.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I'm curious, why would Bitcoin mining need high end graphics cards? Don't you just need regular old fast processors? Is there much graphics involved?

GPUs are faster then CPUs for the repetitive math calculations used in Bitcoin mining.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

They can offload some of the processing to the video card. Cryptomining is one of biggest causes, and under-reported, causes of this entire mess. It is also why it will take quite a bit of time for things to get back on track. There is a huge demand for high-end chip sets.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Seriously, I tried three years ago to get agreement to just buy for the kids and not the adults, and I got a "meh" response. I then suggested drawing names, and got "I can't do that. I love all of you equally." It's so entrenched that I just gave up. I don't need them buying me anything to feel appreciated, but what can you do when they insist?
    If you have a family where you could get by with "Thanks for the gift. I didn't get you anything, but IOU one. Look for an email with a gift card." and no one has any hard feelings, I can pretty much guarantee you're the exception to the rule.

I have the same conversation with my family. I find it very strange to buy gifts for adults. I don’t expect gifts, I can buy what I want, most gifts go to charity. Also the adults in my family can afford what they want. This why I enjoy thanksgiving more…food and football!!

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Shh, the gullible love to blame those dastardly evil master planning poor for their unhappiness.

I think the sooner people realize that this isn't some sort of cookie-cutter problem caused by {insert name of either current or former US President} their misery index will go down. The pandemic + Suez canal blockage + rise of cryptomining has absolutely blown up the global supply chains. People need to chill and realize this stuff will take time to unwind.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

I have the same conversation with my family. I find it very strange to buy gifts for adults. I don’t expect gifts, I can buy what I want, most gifts go to charity. Also the adults in my family can afford what they want. This why I enjoy thanksgiving more…food and football!!

We only do gifts for our parents and our siblings kids. We figure once you have kids the gifts go to them. Our parents still get us stuff plus the kids. I imagine once I have grandkids I'll still be spreading it all around.

For my parents we long ago switched to consumables. My loves it when I bring in a huge load from Trader Joe's becuase they don't have one.

For our adult friends, we do a white elephant/steal your neighbor every year. I mostly regift crap my mom and aunt give me the year before.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the sooner people realize that this isn't some sort of cookie-cutter problem caused by {insert name of either current or former US President} their misery index will go down. The pandemic + Suez canal blockage + rise of cryptomining has absolutely blown up the global supply chains. People need to chill and realize this stuff will take time to unwind.

I just want my damn, new sectional couch. Yeah, it sucks it takes 6 months now, but we still have a couch to sit on in the mean time.

I can't deny though since mid 2019 we have been on a buying spree. I bought my a pin with having none in several years, we went on vacation for the first time in a very long time, bought a new house, and have paid contractors to do a lot of unecessary upgrades to the new house. The problem is everyone else seems to be doing the same. My patio that I commissioned in April is just now getting done. Labor is really bad. My new post man probably really hates us because we get 1 to 3 Amazon packages a day. Just normal stuff, but with free returns we'll ship in 5 pairs of shoes and pick one. You get the idea.

The government supplied a lot of the money for this and we were never out of work. Plus, not paying summer vacation for four kids in 2020 opened up a lot of spending. I swear, I'm getting $1K check ever month for my kids from the IRS. I know I need to save about half of that though because of my tax liablilites. How many people don't think ahead like that and will be cought with their pants down on April 15, 2022?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Now it appears to be a shipping and labor problem. Why aren't people working? The jobs are fucking there for the taking.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

We only do gifts for our parents and our siblings kids. We figure once you have kids the gifts go to them. Our parents still get us stuff plus the kids. I imagine once I have grandkids I'll still be spreading it all around.
    For my parents we long ago switched to consumables. My loves it when I bring in a huge load from Trader Joe's becuase they don't have one.
    For our adult friends, we do a white elephant/steal your neighbor every year. I mostly regift crap my mom and aunt give me the year before.

Before divorces and deaths, I convinced the adults to do a white elephant gift exchange. The rules were to buy a gift you want and the minimum was $50. I would always buy $100 in scratchers…that would always create a frenzy.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

Before divorces and deaths, I convinced the adults to do a white elephant gift exchange. The rules were to buy a gift you want and the minimum was $50. I would always buy $100 in scratchers…that would always create a frenzy.

Yeah, scratchers, gas gift cards, and boozes, you can't go wrong.

Edit: Sorry for the serial posting above.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

labor problem.

The labor shortage is a farce ...the major shortages were reported in states with the highest transmission of covid. I can not blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives for a crappy low wage job

#85 2 years ago

Some random dude flipped my ex wife onto all fours, so you are correct.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

The labor shortage is a farce ...the major shortages were reported in states with the highest transmission of covid. I can not blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives for a crappy low wage job

Well, we can't hire much of anything for maintenance workers at my place right now. We used to have 30 applicants for an entry position, now maybe 5, but only 2 show up. Then they have to pass the drug test. This is with a salary increase, plus extra for snow plowing.

Edit: We could hire 50 people right now.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Now it appears to be a shipping and labor problem. Why aren't people working? The jobs are fucking there for the taking.

I've heard a few different things. A few people ran an experiment and went out and purposely applied at jobs that were known to be complaining about not being able to get workers, and basically never got any calls for interviews. What wasn't stated is what these peoples work/personal record were, whether it was a felon, bad work history, etc. My wife currently cannot get decent workers that a) want to actually show up b) do anything when they are there other than try to sit on their phones all day. That is if they even show up for interviews. So I guess it is probably a little of both.

Secondly, especially in retail/hospitality, people are very much over the rude people. And yes, people have become complete and utter assholes thinking that rules do not apply to them regardless of where they are or who's property they are on.

Thirdly, many have basically walked away from traditional jobs. They are instead turning to things like crypto, streaming, flipping, onlyfans(as an example). Keep in mind these are younger people who aren't buying cars, aren't having kids in general, aren't buying houses, etc. (this is all very generalized, but adds up to the whole).

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Secondly, especially in retail/hospitality, people are very much over the rude people. And yes, people have become complete and utter assholes thinking that rules do not apply to them regardless of where they are or who's property they are on.

Sounds like my kids. Where did I go wrong?

#89 2 years ago

Wait until news of this reaches the Filet-O-Fish thread.
    People will be flipping sandwiches for at least $15 depending on what state they are in as prices vary from state to state.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

People will be flipping sandwiches for at least $15 depending on what state they are in as prices vary from state to state.

Don't say it is true!

#91 2 years ago

The scalpers have just moved on from concert tickets, but the same logic applies. If there’s a possibility that the supply will be limited, then someone will buy as much as they can, just to resell them to those people that missed out. It can and will happen with any product that’s limited.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Seriously, I tried three years ago to get agreement to just buy for the kids and not the adults, and I got a "meh" response. I then suggested drawing names, and got "I can't do that. I love all of you equally." It's so entrenched that I just gave up. I don't need them buying me anything to feel appreciated, but what can you do when they insist?
    If you have a family where you could get by with "Thanks for the gift. I didn't get you anything, but IOU one. Look for an email with a gift card." and no one has any hard feelings, I can pretty much guarantee you're the exception to the rule.

We just stopped, period, a few years ago. My family is pretty big and it was out of control with the number of cousins and now they are having kids… so we just said “we’re out” one year and haven’t looked back. Now I no longer get a pair of weird socks or a magazine subscription I never read, and everyone is better off.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sports cards died off in the 90's due to over-producing everything. The companies now have reigned in production and leverage new rookie cards into super rare fancy sub sets that a collector just has to have. I saw some random hockey player's super rare rookie card sold for $250k at auction recently. So if you have generic early 90's stuff, give that to some kid since most of it isn't worth much. Michael Jordan's rookie card? That's still worth something.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Sounds like they might have to start a fast food smuggling ring like in New Zealand.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

In my other hobby, I collect film props & costumes.
    These items are not mass-produced, so there's not really a manufacturing supply chain like with store goods. A lot of these items are custom made in very small numbers by effects/props/costumer shops/staff/artists.
    Just like in pinball, the number of people buying, selling, and flipping has grown. However, the supply is finite, so the price keeps getting driven up.
    Maybe it started as pandemic boredom and started shifting into something else? Who knows.

i know where you can get a prop gun, only fired once.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

The problem is that everyone has to decide this at the same time. If your loved ones are still buying stuff and you don't, you're going to end up being one of the Kranks.

We've tried this.

We put a $20 limit on gifts, and someone hands you a $60 PS5 game and $50 gift certificate for Red Robin while opening the sweatshirt you got them for $19.99.

#97 2 years ago

The adults in our family sort of resolved this by a gift exchange. Random number draw, secret santa type deal with a limit of $20. They even thru in a gag gift that gets regifted each year and no one knows who's going to get it. Everyone seems to have fun with it.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Well, we can't hire much of anything for maintenance workers at my place right now. We used to have 30 applicants for an entry position, now maybe 5, but only 2 show up. Then they have to pass the drug test. This is with a salary increase, plus extra for snow plowing.
    Edit: We could hire 50 people right now.

We raised starting wages for my employees this year from $16/hr to $21/hr. Yup, it took a 31% increase to get decent candidates, but it worked. And we charge 30% more for our products and services because of demand. Inflation is a brutal cycle.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Gradual comeback. The game store next to my arcade has paid close attention to the market.
    TCG’s and the collector card markets learned their lesson from the 90s against saturating it to all hell. They are very careful with printing quantities, and their most successful racket has been allocation. They make it extremely hard for anyone even the huge chains to get more than a box or two of cards. Ever been to a target on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s when the Pokémon cards restock? Bedlam!
    A few months ago when I was chatting with my buddy at his store, a woman came rushing in yelling, “DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY MORE Pokémon CARDS?”
    My buddy answered no, and suggested Target.
    The woman burst into tears, “I already TRIED and they sold out when I got there at 8am this morning! When will you get your order??”

I went to my local Target Friday morning with my wife right when they opened and there was a line of about four or five people they look like basic Bros from the nearby University turns out they were waiting in line for Pokemon cards along with one older dude and the guy came out from Target and said they changed their policy and Pokemon cards are randomly refilled throughout the week they were pretty pissed off that they couldnt flip.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The jobs suck ass and people are tired of getting screwed for decades. Surely this isn't news to you?

There are 340 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/people-are-flipping-everything-/page/2?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.