Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zermeno68
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I do not believe I see a thread that specifically talked about type of airbrushes people use restoring playfields.

I have Bronco I want to eventually restore the playfield to "like-new" condition.

NOTE: I've never used an airbrush in my life (software engineer here), but I am willing to practice a lot on "projects" before I attempt to restore the target playfield.

What airbrushes do you use to restore your games? Which pencil airbrush should I buy?

#2 3 years ago

Most of the airbrush work in pinball restoration is dumping paint uniformly (and lightly!) onto a masked area. So I am not sure the quality of the airbrush is that important. I have been using a 0.5mm needle size since I am primarily trying to get even light coverage over a masked area.

I use an Iwata that I bought in a kit: https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/airbrush-sets-kits.html

As for paint, many people swear by Createx paint. I am using Golden High Flow due to the variety of colours and their online Golden Color Mixer.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Most of the airbrush work in pinball restoration is dumping paint uniformly (and lightly!) onto a masked area. So I am not sure the quality of the airbrush is that important. I have been using a 0.5mm needle size since I am primarily trying to get even light coverage over a masked area.
I use an Iwata that I bought in a kit: https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/airbrush-sets-kits.html
As for paint, many people swear by Createx paint. I am using Golden High Flow due to the variety of colours and their online Golden Color Mixer.

You could get a cheap compressor for like $100 and a Neo for $60. Much cheaper this way and still gets the job done excellently. Just FYI for saving some dough

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for your inputs especially the kits. Gives me an idea what is available in the market.

So, regarding compressors. I have an old standing Craftsman 20 Gallon unit that can go to 175+ PSI which I imagine is overkill for a pencil airbrush, but it has a regulator knob I can dial in.

I can use my compressor in conjunction with an pencil airbrush? That would save me some $$$ that I can apply to the airbrush.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Thanks for your inputs especially the kits. Gives me an idea what is available in the market.
So, regarding compressors. I have an old standing Craftsman 20 Gallon unit that can go to 175+ PSI which I imagine is overkill for a pencil airbrush. The compressor does have a regulator I can turn to control how much pressure is in the compressor.

I can use my compressor in conjunction with an pencil airbrush? That would save me some $$$ that I can apply to the airbrush.

#6 3 years ago

Also, is there a Pro/Con to a gravity fed pencil airbrush vs the airbrush that has the container below the pencil (sorry, cannot figure out the term they use for these types of airbrushes).

Still learning.

#7 3 years ago

Be sure to get a moisture trap for your compressor line. I've had a Paasche double action since the 80s. It's a workhorse. I'm not sure how the current models compare, though.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Be sure to get a moisture trap for your compressor line. I've had a Paasche double action since the 80s. It's a workhorse. I'm not sure how the current models compare, though.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

#9 3 years ago

If you are masking off and looking for an even coat, the cheapy HF kit is priced right:
https://www.harborfreight.com/quick-change-airbrush-kit-93506.html

If you're being more "artistic", it won't work, because it just blasts.

#10 3 years ago

I recommend getting a gravity fed airbrush. They're around $20 on amazon. The syphon feed airbrush is going to give you more problems (viscosity of paint, air pressure settings, pick-up tube, etc). I'm sure others will have varying opinions, but I've used 3 different brand syphon style, and then switched to gravity, and won't be going back.

Your large air compressor will be just fine (although way overkill). You usually only need 20-40 psi for airbrush, and very little volume. As mentioned, get the moisture filter.

#11 3 years ago

Gravity fed all the way

#12 3 years ago

I use a harbor freight air brush compressor because its small, quite and has the water seperator that comes with it. https://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html
and a badger 150 air brush syphon type and never had a problem plus its easy to clean and change colors

#13 3 years ago

On a slightly related note, has anyone figured out a way to reproduce the "zip tone" paint style where shading is achieved by using many small dots in varying densities to go darker or lighter?

#14 3 years ago

I am afraid that you will have to resort to screen printing to have any hope of reproducing a decent halftone. Art supply stores used to sell dry transfer halftone sheets in various shades and gradients, but it only came in black (camera ready), and was very fragile.

#15 3 years ago

Look at a Badger Sotar 2020. I use in my modeling and love it... nice adjustment on line width etc

#16 3 years ago

Thanks guys for all the comments and airbrush suggestions. I prefer to start my airbrush research from those in the hobby I am trying to target my usage. I'll take this information and run with it to see where it goes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pencil-airbrush-recommendation-for-playfield-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.