(Topic ID: 144612)

Peeps who have played The Hobbit (good or bad?)

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DadofTwins
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2016-05-09-21-54-05~01_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMHO TH was a knee jerk reaction from Jack figuring that the theme would be great following in the footsteps of LOTR. But two things first TH is a weak franchise it's one of the few movies that I can recall the 1-2-3 movie gross went down with the subsequent releases. Also the layout IMHO especially the lack of shots or interesting ramps for such a wide pin is a letdown In my eyes..

I agree with a lot of this, but I don't think getting Th was a"knee jerk" reaction.

Let's be fair:
After the phenomenal job PJ did with LOTR, expectations were sky-high for TH trilogy.
And, factor in that LOTR pinball was one of Sterns VERY best....

So, when JJP made this decision, its hard to think it wasn't pure genius.

I think few expected TH to suck as much as they did and for PJ to turn sell-out with this beloved content.
Add JJPs inability to release the game anywhere NEAR the theatrical release and you add more problems... what little hype there was for their franchise is certainly one gone by now.

And,
Beautiful artwork (video and sound) still doesnt outweigh the VERY mediocre gameplay...not in a pinball machine.

Lastly,
Stern finally wakes up and OVERDELIVERS on the GB machine.

So, it really was a perfect storm against JJP:
1. TH Movies sucked
2. JJP failed to deliver onetime (again).
3. TH game seems rushed (?!!??) incomplete code and dull gameplay
4. Stern releases a winner, not just visually but also in gameplay.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I played it at Allentown and was disappointed. I'm hoping it was not set up properly as I found it extremely boring.

Stay tuned for someone to jump in and say "its not the game" and that ALL FOUR machines (at this VERY high profile pin event) were setup incorrectly... *facepalm*

#80 7 years ago

It certainly seems like the VAST majority of people bullish on this game are the ones that paid for it 3 years ago (and have been defending that position for some time)....

Even the positive reviews point to what they "hope the game will become with software"

The number of people WITHOUT a pre-order (and with no emotion baggage ether way) excited about this game seems VERY slim. Now I think more will warn to it as they tweak the software and fix some of the early issues...

Some of it might be TH-overexposure since nearly every minute artwork change has been dissected for YEARS in the forum, but still... not great news for JJP trying to sell a LOT more of this title (like they did with WoZ).

If Stern build on the success of GB with another strong title this year, JJP is going to be hurting to sell significantly more than those pre-ordered...

And god help JJP if they are still screwing around with incomplete code and Stern finally announces a SW pin with LCD.... and gets it right.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

SW pin with LCD, the only way JJP could counter that would be Harry Potter (IMO).

Ok, I agree with that... but if HP is JJP #4.... when would that put production? 2017 earliest, right? Maybe later.... much later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/peeps-who-have-played-the-hobbit-good-or-bad?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.