(Topic ID: 144612)

Peeps who have played The Hobbit (good or bad?)

By rai

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DadofTwins
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2016-05-09-21-54-05~01_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

I played the Hobbit yesterday.

Here's the short end:

1)Absolutely gorgeous game

2)Ball times are ridiculously long...so long that I was actually disappointed when I achieved an extra ball.

3) I was able to figure out how to start multiball relatively easily and had a good idea of how to get Jackpot...but aside from that, the current code does a terrible job of telling you what to do. In fact some of the screen animations (one in particular is like a honeycomb of photos) and the constant drop target movement are flat out confusing. It's either barebones code or the game is too complex for its own good.

4)Popbumer action was very uninspiring.

5)I'd rather play WOZ 10 out of 10 times.

6)If I were a buyer with a deposit or thinking about buying, I'd keep my money and wait at least a year to see if they can code life into the game. They certainly did it with WOZ (although, I think the bones of WOZ are leaps and bounds better)...but I think having TH in the home would end up feeling very laborious.

7) Final score as it stands: 5/10

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I have played it several times. Clearly is faster than WoZ. That to me is the big difference. The open play field and longer ramp shots allow the ball to flow so much more than WoZ.
To me if you like games like CV and TZ, WoZ is likely our JJP game. If you like Attack from Mars or some of the longer shot legacy games, you will like TH.
I agree with the comments on the code. It is a work in progress. I am confident that they will make the code much better over time. JJP seems committed to that. They have gone up and above with WoZ.
Quality of the overall machine (TH or WoZ) is unprecedented. TH could arguably be one of the best looking machines ever made. Probably because it is so open it allows the artwork to pop so much. I also think they did a much better job integrating the LCD aesthetically.
9K is a lot though. I am hoping their 3rd machine is more of a balance between the two styles of games.

Your comments really hammer home how much set-up plays into impressions. My WOZ is wicked fast, especially in the middle and left sides of the playfield. Sure, it has stop and go built into the game, but you can get the ball back on the flippers in a flash. TH I played yesterday (and one from last year) had a decent PF angle (certainly wasn't overly flat) but the ball was mind-numbingly floaty across that wide open space and the habitrails were painfully slow.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I liked WoZ much more than I though I would.

Get that game in your home, dial it in, turn up the sound...it will blow you away.

Perhaps TH will eventually get there too.

As for GB...very nice game. Feels plastic-y as compared to the JJP games. Liked the Pro, but didn't love it. I actually thought the new Spiderman was the coolest and best looking game of all the new Sterns at Allentown (game play was the most fun too).

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I got to play it yesterday, I thought WOZ was a deep, well designed and well built game, and very interesting to play.
I am NOT trying to start a war, I have no agenda against JJ and you can check my post history if you do not believe me, but I am just going to say I did not care for the game even a little bit, and neither did my buddy who came with me, It just seems like a LOT of wide open space, with the shots being too far way, a few things that pop out of the playfield, now I fully admit, I do not know the rules, or what your trying to do on it yet, but I just did not like it at all, If I was looking to spend 8-9K on a game, no way would it be Hobbit. I would do WOZ, even though I do not like the theme, I felt there was so much more to do on that game, and a lot more innovation..
Again, I have no agenda here, just offering my opinions on what I thought of it.

Same boat

#45 7 years ago

The jackpot shot is right below the upper left drop target bank. Maybe that upper right flipper is meant to hit cross playfield into it?

Doesn't make much sense... But I really didn't see any other possible use

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Weak layout, bad design. Balls get stuck, fly off wore forms, weak flippers, worthless third flipper, shooter rod not strong enough. The hobbit is a turd sandwich.

But...how do you **really** feel??

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

The Hobbit has 4 programers working on it now, not two like in Woz. I watched Woz turn from a game that not many people liked, to something pretty special. I believe the code updates will be a lot faster with 4 people working on the game. I also remember a lot of people bitching about how Woz was set up, just like people saying that code won't fix the Hobbit. Pffft...
I just like the "feel" of Hobbit. I can still bail on it, as I only have a deposit on it, but I'm going through with it. I already like it, and I think when it is all said and done, it will have a real polished feel to it, Just like Woz is today. Heck, they have Keith Johnson and Ted Estes on it. Two of the greats. Pumped.

I hope you're right... I'd love to see the game become something special. I do wonder, tho... 3 years into development, you'd think the code would be basically done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/peeps-who-have-played-the-hobbit-good-or-bad?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.