(Topic ID: 229079)

HELP! ... Peculiar shop adding pinballs to the menu: What 5 games?

By crazypinballguy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hello, fellow Pinsiders ... I'm looking for some opinions (I know I will find some here ... ... on what 5 pins you think would offer a nice mix of fun, challenge and nostalgia for a unique shop I'm opening in Cortland, NY.

Quick background... I've owned a metaphysical (New Age) business for 30 years. I've loved pinball even longer, but only as an occasional player. I brought my Mousin' Around, which I've owned for 18 years out of storage this past February. My wife and I both caught the fever. Since then, I've purchased 5 more pins, (then sold 2.)

Now, while preparing to open yet another meditation center which will offer private and group classes, I thought to myself, "Hey, when am I most focused?"

When I am playing WOZ, of course!

So, I decided to create something of a Frankenstein, mixing elements of what appears to be two opposites; meditation and pinball. I won't go into much further detail, because you're probably already getting bored... but if you held on this long, here are the 5 games I currently have:

1. Mousin Around
    2. Austin Powers
    3. Team One (EM)
    4. Woz
    5. Lethal Weapon 3 (picking it up tomorrow)

What 5 games should I add to round out my quirky shop? .... Here's the catch, they need to be a mix of new and used ... because my pin budget is only 15-18k.

So, thanks for your patience, and let's have at it!
    (Obviously, there's no right and wrong opinions ... well, maybe some wrong ones ...

#2 5 years ago

You might need to invest in some sound proof walls. . . not every meditator may appreciate the sounds of pinball.

#3 5 years ago

For sure! I will be offering more traditional classes when pins are off, but I'm super psyched to use pins as a meditation tool. ... The key to inner peace is to maintain calm, not only in peaceful situations, but when there is chaos (like in multiball, when you're trying not to drain every ball in less than 60 seconds!)

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from crazypinballguy: The key to inner peace is to maintain calm, not only in peaceful situations, but when there is chaos (like in multiball, when you're trying not to drain every ball in less than 60 seconds!)

Iron Man, BSD, and Fish Tales should do.
    I drop the most f-bombs playing BSD

#5 5 years ago

Boy you open a can of worms when you start talking the Zen of Pinball... many older pins can give a real deep meditation, but but only because there is a distinct but acheivable goal besides extra balls, or free games.
    I’ll give you two examples, one more modern, the other more traditional.

Twilight zone, Lost in the zone. Getting to this wizard mode and finishing it.

Centaur- achieve 5 ball orbian attack and maintain it as long as possible.

Both of these require deep concentration and great patience. But they differ completely in all other aspects except it being frenetic multiball play. Neither machine is cheap, though, Centaur might fit your list.

#6 5 years ago

You need a Pinball Magic... "Focus your thoughts!", "Concentrate!", ha...

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

Iron Man, BSD, and Fish Tales should do.
    I drop the most f-bombs playing BSD

Man, I almost picked up a BSD just 2 weeks ago. I made a deal over the phone and was picking it up the next day, but instead he sold it to someone who offered $100 more. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

#8 5 years ago

Fish Tales boils my blood. Super f bomby playing that. BSD is a nice flowing machine, once you get all your shots down. Other head down deep thinkers... but inexpensive... High Speed has great flow and not too expensive plus you have to evade the police and get away, Pinbot is always a strong title, but cheaper, multiple goals, reach the sun, solar value, Energy Value, fill the chest to open the visor, lock 2 balls for multiball. great music and light show when all the flashers are working.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Fish Tales boils my blood. Super f bomby playing that. BSD is a nice flowing machine, once you get all your shots down. Other head down deep thinkers... but inexpensive... High Speed has great flow and not too expensive plus you have to evade the police and get away, Pinbot is always a strong title, but cheaper, multiple goals, reach the sun, solar value, Energy Value, fill the chest to open the visor, lock 2 balls for multiball. great music and light show when all the flashers are working.

What's your thoughts on High Speed vs. Getaway: High Speed 2?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

You need a Pinball Magic... "Focus your thoughts!", "Concentrate!", ha...

Looks cool, but after reading some ratings, my thoughts are, I may have a problem finding spare parts for this machine.

#11 5 years ago

On HS and HSII-TGA, Same game updated to DMD and more advanced rules. More to do, but costs more to buy. You need multiple depth machines so you can guide them through their journey deeper with each machine they approach. People starting out can start on simpler machines and graduate to more complex ones, or start with a complex one and slowly try and master it, both paths have appeal, but success will take them a shorter time on HS than on HSII.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

On HS and HSII-TGA, Same game updated to DMD and more advanced rules. More to do, but costs more to buy. You need multiple depth machines so you can guide them through their journey deeper with each machine they approach. People starting out can start on simpler machines and graduate to more complex ones, or start with a complex one and slowly try and master it, both paths have appeal, but success will take them a shorter time on HS than on HSII.

Makes sense. Thanks for your insight.

#13 5 years ago

But right now I might be tempted to buy a MMr, AFMr, and MBrCE and call it quits. Casual players would find them all three challenging and fun. They are new, and have three very different themes, yet their rules are very similar and deep for casual players. Throw in a Twilight Zone and/or Dialed In and your done. Don’t Judge, but Dredd is not too exspensive and challenging. It has interesting music, but you might not like the Stalone-a-thon call outs.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

But right now I might be tempted to buy a MMr, AFMr, and MBrCE and call it quits. Casual players would find them all three challenging and fun. They are new, and have three very different themes, yet their rules are very similar and deep for casual players. Throw in a Twilight Zone and/or Dialed In and your done. Don’t Judge, but Dredd is not too exspensive and challenging. It has interesting music, but you might not like the Stalone-a-thon call outs.

Nice selection but over my budget right now. I do have AFMr Special on my short list. It feels so good trying to save our world.

#15 5 years ago

Depends on what type of sandwiches (deli meats? cheese? Shasta?) you're serving.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Depends on what type of sandwiches (deli meats? cheese? Shasta?) you're serving.

You lost me there.

#17 5 years ago

Pick up an early solid-state or two so you have something from each period. If you're feeling daring, buy something cheap and worn, and then Hardtop it.

#18 5 years ago

Future Spa

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/peculiar-shop-adding-pinballs-to-the-menu-what-5-games?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.