Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BlackWidow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When will Peak Pinball be reached?”

• By 2015 45 votes
      51%
    • By 2020 10 votes
      11%
    • By 2030 6 votes
      7%
    • By 2040 1 vote
      1%
    • Sometime between 2050-2099 5 votes
      6%
    • Not for at least another century 1 vote
      1%
    • Never. The world will completely run out of oil before pinball dies! 21 votes
      24%

(89 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-2-953.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-1-219.jpeg
    images-11-766.jpeg
    images-8-805.jpeg
    image.jpg
    will-peak-oil-save-planet_44.jpg
    srg2.jpg
    images-7-891.jpeg
    images-7-698.jpeg
    Unknown-6-182.jpeg
    Unknown-6-391.jpeg
    images-3-394.jpeg
    images-8-543.jpeg
    images-10-856.jpeg
    images-12-950.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jags.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Adults in 30 years will collect antiquated iPads and not pinball machines.

I do not believe this would be the case. We don't see people collecting 30 year old Commodore computers. Anything that uses any sort of video screen can easily be emulated on any new piece of equipment. That's why we see all the old original 8 bit video games still out there. But not on the original machines but instead newly emulated on the new gadget of the day.

Things like pool tables, dart boards, and pinball are all entertainment devices that require a real physical object to play on. You need balls, table, and cue sticks for billiards, darts and a board for darts, and a pinball machine with flippers, ball, bumpers, ramps, etc. for pinball. Yes these have also been emulated on video screens but it will never be the same as the actual physical object.

If anything we may be in for a resurgence of such things. Video versions are a great "gateway" to the real thing. We see video versions of almost any sort of activity and from that many folks will go out and try the real thing. What will dictate if things like pinball machines will continue to exist is more related to the economic condition of the planet. If things are good in the economy people will have more disposable income and they will continue to buy pool tables, snowmobiles, tennis rackets, skateboards, and yes pinball machines. If the economy crashes these things are out the door as we will be struggling just to eat.

Now you may be thinking "we just went through a slow economic period the last couple of years so why did we have a resurgence in something like pinball?" The answer is simple. Pinball is still cheaper than a new boat or sports car. From reading the many different threads here on Pinside it does seem that most in this hobby are definitely in the upper middle class and do still have disposable income at hand. But maybe just not as much as before. So instead of the new Porsche they are now instead getting a new MMR or STLE.

So if the world economy does start really rolling again I do see a shift in pinball ownership from the upper middleclass back to the middle middleclass much as it used to be. The wealthier will start buying more cars again and the middle class may be able to afford a pinball machine again.

If the world economy tanks we may eventually see the demise of all things real as the only thing anyone may be still able to afford is some sort of computer video device that will emulate everything that is real in this world. Sadly I do see the world heading in this direction. Everything is done on the computer. There is little or no social or physical interaction with anything real anymore. You don't even need a real person next to you to even have sex!!

So lets all make sure we keep a real pinball machine in our game room and a real woman in our beds!!

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

Don't collect Commodore computers??? What are you talking about? They are stupid collectible,

The post stated: "Adults in 30 years will collect antiquated iPads and not pinball machines". This I believe is incorrect as they WILL still collect pinball machines 30 years from now. And there will be more pinball collectors than iPad collectors.

Yes a 30 year old Commodore computer may be "collectible" to a very few, but it is not like a 30 year old pinball machine that is more usable to a far greater portion of the population. I'm sure if you asked the common man on the street what would you rather have this 30 year old pinball machine or this 30 year old Commodore computer he will choose the pinball machine. Same would be true 30 years from now if I asked someone what would you rather have this 30 year old STLE pinball or this 30 year old iPad.

My point is that pinball machines have a far greater amount of collectors than do old outdated computer systems, and 30 years from now pinball machines WILL still be a highly collectable item. More so than an antiquated iPad.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That theory only works if the middle class is in at 5-10k a machine

If the economy gets real good yes I do believe the middle class would be in on a 5-10K pin. However I don't think the prices would stay that high. When the upper middle class decides they can afford the boats and cars again their pins will end up back on the market creating an increase in supply. Increase in supply will mean a decrease in price.

What we are seeing now in pinball prices is truly a bubble created by the upper middle class buying pins rather than cars and boats. There will be an adjustment one way or another in the future depending on how the economy goes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jags.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/peak-oil-peak-pinball?tu=Jags and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.