5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BlackWidow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When will Peak Pinball be reached?”

• By 2015 45 votes
      51%
    • By 2020 10 votes
      11%
    • By 2030 6 votes
      7%
    • By 2040 1 vote
      1%
    • Sometime between 2050-2099 5 votes
      6%
    • Not for at least another century 1 vote
      1%
    • Never. The world will completely run out of oil before pinball dies! 21 votes
      24%

(89 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Unknown-2-953.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-1-219.jpeg
    images-11-766.jpeg
    images-8-805.jpeg
    image.jpg
    will-peak-oil-save-planet_44.jpg
    srg2.jpg
    images-7-891.jpeg
    images-7-698.jpeg
    Unknown-6-182.jpeg
    Unknown-6-391.jpeg
    images-3-394.jpeg
    images-8-543.jpeg
    images-10-856.jpeg
    images-12-950.jpeg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I think it all depends on if the younger generations are exposed to and what they think of pinball...something along these lines:

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Adults in 30 years will collect antiquated iPads and not pinball machines.

I do not believe this would be the case. We don't see people collecting 30 year old Commodore computers. Anything that uses any sort of video screen can easily be emulated on any new piece of equipment. That's why we see all the old original 8 bit video games still out there. But not on the original machines but instead newly emulated on the new gadget of the day.

Things like pool tables, dart boards, and pinball are all entertainment devices that require a real physical object to play on. You need balls, table, and cue sticks for billiards, darts and a board for darts, and a pinball machine with flippers, ball, bumpers, ramps, etc. for pinball. Yes these have also been emulated on video screens but it will never be the same as the actual physical object.

If anything we may be in for a resurgence of such things. Video versions are a great "gateway" to the real thing. We see video versions of almost any sort of activity and from that many folks will go out and try the real thing. What will dictate if things like pinball machines will continue to exist is more related to the economic condition of the planet. If things are good in the economy people will have more disposable income and they will continue to buy pool tables, snowmobiles, tennis rackets, skateboards, and yes pinball machines. If the economy crashes these things are out the door as we will be struggling just to eat.

Now you may be thinking "we just went through a slow economic period the last couple of years so why did we have a resurgence in something like pinball?" The answer is simple. Pinball is still cheaper than a new boat or sports car. From reading the many different threads here on Pinside it does seem that most in this hobby are definitely in the upper middle class and do still have disposable income at hand. But maybe just not as much as before. So instead of the new Porsche they are now instead getting a new MMR or STLE.

So if the world economy does start really rolling again I do see a shift in pinball ownership from the upper middleclass back to the middle middleclass much as it used to be. The wealthier will start buying more cars again and the middle class may be able to afford a pinball machine again.

If the world economy tanks we may eventually see the demise of all things real as the only thing anyone may be still able to afford is some sort of computer video device that will emulate everything that is real in this world. Sadly I do see the world heading in this direction. Everything is done on the computer. There is little or no social or physical interaction with anything real anymore. You don't even need a real person next to you to even have sex!!

So lets all make sure we keep a real pinball machine in our game room and a real woman in our beds!!

#53 5 years ago

Don't collect Commodore computers??? What are you talking about? They are stupid collectible, I've been looking for an amiga for awhile now...

ebay.com link » Commodore Amiga 3000t W Keyboard Mouse Service Manual In Very Good Condition

#54 5 years ago

So if the world economy does start really rolling again I do see a shift in pinball ownership from the upper middleclass back to the middle middleclass much as it used to be. The wealthier will start buying more cars again and the middle class may be able to afford a pinball machine again.

That theory only works if the middle class is in at 5-10k a machine

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

Don't collect Commodore computers??? What are you talking about? They are stupid collectible,

The post stated: "Adults in 30 years will collect antiquated iPads and not pinball machines". This I believe is incorrect as they WILL still collect pinball machines 30 years from now. And there will be more pinball collectors than iPad collectors.

Yes a 30 year old Commodore computer may be "collectible" to a very few, but it is not like a 30 year old pinball machine that is more usable to a far greater portion of the population. I'm sure if you asked the common man on the street what would you rather have this 30 year old pinball machine or this 30 year old Commodore computer he will choose the pinball machine. Same would be true 30 years from now if I asked someone what would you rather have this 30 year old STLE pinball or this 30 year old iPad.

My point is that pinball machines have a far greater amount of collectors than do old outdated computer systems, and 30 years from now pinball machines WILL still be a highly collectable item. More so than an antiquated iPad.

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

That theory only works if the middle class is in at 5-10k a machine

If the economy gets real good yes I do believe the middle class would be in on a 5-10K pin. However I don't think the prices would stay that high. When the upper middle class decides they can afford the boats and cars again their pins will end up back on the market creating an increase in supply. Increase in supply will mean a decrease in price.

What we are seeing now in pinball prices is truly a bubble created by the upper middle class buying pins rather than cars and boats. There will be an adjustment one way or another in the future depending on how the economy goes.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Adults in 30 years will collect antiquated iPads and not pinball machines.

A very, very select few will (like those that collect newtons or old brick phones), but in 30 years, digital tech will scarcely resemble what we have now. Pinball has been extremely similar in concept since the advent of flippers. My children will be nostalgic for the pinball machines dad had or still has. They might want one. I know my son will for sure. Will the community get huge? No, but these are very expensive toys.

#57 5 years ago

Right now there is a growth in all sectors of pinball.
    New companies, amount of new games out & production number of games.
    More games are going on route, more people are coming to the hobby of pinball and awareness is growning.

I'm bullish on pinball on all fronts at this moment.

I have 7 pinball machines on route in Jacksonville FL and will have at least 2 more on route by year end.
    There is demand and or acceptance for pinball on route and it's growning.

New games are decent overall and are selling ok (Stern) well (JJP).
    Used games are getting overhauls and resold in decent shape more than ever.

As a collector operator, I deal with almost all sectors of this hobby and I'm happy with what I see.

Yeah, will those that buy a game brand new be happy as hogs about code? hell no
    Yeah, will those that bought games for close to MSRP be happy with resale in short periods of time? nahhh.
    It's the buyer's duty to try before they buy, hell, who buys a new car without test driving it? No you?
    But you then buy a new pinball machine without trying it and then aren't happy? Ding Dong!

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Arcades there are high tech. No place for pinball...

srg2.jpg 179 KB

That's what the 50 percent of the population is doing. I'm talking about a much smaller niche. And how's to say they won't come up with a high tech version of pinball that better aligns the flexibility of digital with the randomness of analog. Sure jjp has done some innovation. But innovation still based off what was mainstream 20 years ago. I think there is a better midway point between virtual pin tables and what jjp is building.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I have 7 pinball machines on route in Jacksonville FL and will have at least 2 more on route by year end.

Nice!
    The more games on location, the better.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Right now there is a growth in all sectors of pinball.
    I'm bullish on pinball on all fronts at this moment.

My experience in Illinois mirrors yours.

I have gone from zero to seven pins on location since February, and six of the seven have been added in the past few months. (I also operate an X-Men vid to complement the pins at a comic book shop.)

In addition, I am planning a massive expansion by the spring.

It's the non-pinball enthusiasts/random people that are playing the machines, and thank goodness for them. This hobby is far too small to support location play, and we need more people playing in public places, not private collections, for pinball to exist in the future.

Play location pinball!!!

-Mark

#61 5 years ago

I found the cat

image.jpg
    #62 5 years ago

As more Pinsiders vote in the poll fewer Pinsiders consider that Peak Pinball will be reached by 2015.
    But … they are still in the majority!

Keep the debate going!

images-8-805.jpeg
    #63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Pinball is being fed mostly by nostalgia.

Maybe for some. But frankly there are quite a lot of collectors that didn't play pinball until the 2000's.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Maybe for some. But frankly there are quite a lot of collectors that didn't play pinball until the 2000's.

Yup...Summer 2003, for me, every day at lunch.

There were more pins on location around here back then...and thank goodness for that...I would have never run into a private collection around here.

-Mark

#65 5 years ago

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

So lets all make sure we keep a real pinball machine in our game room and a real woman in our beds!!

Many of us will make sure we do so!

However, while I am very happy with my one real woman, one pinball machine is not enough, but how many more pinnies can I squeeze into my home? What happens to pinball manufacturing if enthusiasts world-wide simply run out of space (or their one woman's permission) to fit any more machines in their garages?

images-11-766.jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #67 5 years ago

In the last week we have seen

1. Lots of good reviews and excitement on Pinside for ST LE.

2. Breathtaking near-silence from Stern critics

3. Excitement (understandably from USA Pinsiders in particular) about Mustang.

Will it make any difference in delaying Peak Pinball?

Unknown-1-219.jpeg
    #68 5 years ago

I'm not excited about the Mustang pin. I'm not a car guy.

#69 5 years ago

I like cars and new pins but out of room and down to the pins I don't want to sell.

2 weeks later
    #70 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I like cars and new pins but out of room and down to the pins I don't want to sell.

I know a lot of people are in your situation!

What happens to pinball manufacturing when 1,000 other enthusiasts also run out of room in the coming years?
    Will there be enough new enthusiasts joining their ranks to buy the new pins?

Unknown-2.jpeg
    #71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jags:

Double, F#!k yeah!!

Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Will it make any difference in delaying Peak Pinball?

Who cares???? It's not like oil, where after you use it, it's gone. Pins will always be around, in our lifetime, anyway.

How do you get out of bed every morning with such a dystopian outlook of the future?

#72 5 years ago

No one gives a shit about peak pinball. And if anyone did, they had two weeks to comment before you dredged this thing back up. Let it die.

#73 5 years ago

I thought we weren't supposed to oil our coils?

#74 5 years ago

I think we should vote someone off pinside each month.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

I know a lot of people are in your situation!
    What happens to pinball manufacturing when 1,000 other enthusiasts also run out of room in the coming years?
    Will there be enough new enthusiasts joining their ranks to buy the new pins?

Unknown-2.jpeg 10 KB

I'm in the same situation. I can squeeze one more pin in, but then that's it! I only buy new machines. I'm not interested in the old ones. And I want to keep the ones I have!

Maybe my husband will build me an extension to the house?

My friends love my machines, but none of them look like buying one. I'm not sure if more enthusiasts will replace the ones who are also starting to run out of room.

Unknown-2-953.jpeg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 289.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 199.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside