(Topic ID: 11974)

PDI vs. Bob's Ultimate (AKA Phoog's) pinball glass face-off!

By pzy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by copperpot
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11.jpeg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I wanted to tackle this glass project from more of a scientific than a showy way, and to include as much comparison footage as I could so everyone can judge the glass for themselves.

THE CONTENDERS

Name: PDI Optical Non Glare Glass (Known on Pinside as PDI Glass)

Site: http://www.pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Info: Sourced from a mysterious German manufacturer by Pinball Decals, Inc, this state-of-the-art glass gets universally positive reviews from anyone who sees it on a pin. Some deep-pocketed collectors have outfitted their entire gamerooms with this glass! While praised, it is scarce and expensive. Even forgetting 6 months of wait times, sheets cost $360 each shipped to the US if buying less than 5, which is huge sticker shock when a standard sheet of pinball glass can be found for around $50 locally. Is it worth it? I hope my post and videos help you to decide.

Name: Bob's Ultimate Pinball Glass (Known on Pinside as Ultimate Glass or Phoog glass)

Site: http://pinballglass.com/

Info: Phoog came on the scene a few weeks ago, touting years of experience with glass in the US (specifically Arizona). His product advertises similar anti-glare and anti-reflective properties but at close to half the cost (around $200 shipped). The other noticeable difference with the Ultimate glass is it is much thicker than standard glass, and has a 1" bevel along the sides so it can still fit in the glass channel. Phoog says the thickness of the glass helps in sound dampening from the playfield, and also contributes to the lower cost - apparently it is easier to find high quality anti-reflective and anti-glare glass in bigger thicknesses.

THE DETAILS:

I enlisted the help of new Pinsider MutterFudder and his sweet little gameroom - ToM, CV, and AFM were all tested with the different types of glass. Everyone be sure to thank MutterFudder for volunteering 3/4 of his pins, and direct all high-dollar offers for his gorgeous collection to him specifically

MutterFudder purchased a sheet of PDI glass last year and installed it on his AFM. I brought the Ultimate glass and video equipment with me, and we swapped between the two types along with a nice sheet of standard glass. I wanted to capture similar shots from all the machines, so I could put them side-by-side in this post and let people decide for themselves (in glorious 1080p HD) which glass was right for them, and for their wallets. I left the Ultimate glass with MutterFudder, and I'm hoping since he has that glass on one pin, PDI on another, and standard glass on a third, that he can chime in with some subjective conclusions after having the different kinds of glass for a while. I will also have some subjective opinions, but I only have one machine (Twilight Zone that I actually bought from MutterFudder last year), as well as PDI glass for it (which I also bought from MutterFudder... he's like my Pinball Pimp).

THE TESTS:

All videos are embedded at the end of the post.

Attack from Mars:
    With "Standard" pinball glass
    "Bob's Ultimate" being installed on AFM, close-up on bevel
    With "Bob's Ultimate" pinball glass
    With "PDI" pinball glass

Wrong Crowd Productions was nice enough to donate a couple of PinZero DMD Glare Guards to include in testing, so I made a video to illustrate just how nicely it goes with anti-glare glass:

Theatre of Magic:
    With "PDI" pinball glass

Cirqus Voltaire:
    With "PDI" pinball glass

A few thoughts:
    Both PDI and Phoog's glass are quite good. PDI has some qualities not present in the other types of glass, the videos make it clear the PDI glass has the least amount of glare and the least visible reflections of any type of glass tested, but Phoog's glass has less reflections and glare than standard glass. The bevel is really not noticeable during gameplay, but the mirroring/doubling of some toys/ramps along the edges of the playfield are visible. After playing pinball all day with the different types of glass, I can see the value in a "budget" PDI brand like Bob's Ultimate, but the PDI glass really has no equal so far. Hopefully that changes in the near future!

Hopefully these videos have been helpful, and I tried to write up enough to be informative without being TOO wordy. I might have failed in that regard!

Thanks very much to Phoog and Bob's Ultimate Pinball glass for sending a sample to be tested, as well as to MutterFudder for the use of his pins. And thanks to Pinside for being a friendly, informative, and knowledgable forum for us crazy Pinheads to hang out at! Stay classy, Pinside.

-Pzy/Luke

#2 12 years ago

Link formatting got kind of screwed up, not sure how to embed YouTube videos without them ending up at the end of the post. Luckily the graphics on the video show clearly what each one is, and I'll try cleaning up the post a bit

Here's a link to a YouTube playlist with all the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF34CFBDDDFA8E040

#3 12 years ago

Nice report. Very interesting and definitely worth looking into. I think I'd still have to give it the "eyeball" test in person to be sure.

#4 12 years ago

Thank you all for this hard work. Truly a quality end product that shows the time put into the effort.

#5 12 years ago

I think i'd just stick with regular glass, nothing in the AFM videos would make me want to shed out more cash, when a regular sheet is $40. Thanks for your hard work in doing the comparisons, it was really appreciated!

#6 12 years ago

Most excellent! I look forward to watching these!

#7 12 years ago

I appreciate the time and effort that went into this report and video's. I'm sure the amount of editing and installing/removing glasses took your entire week/weekend. However, I'm going to be the first to complain (SORRY!!). Couldn't you use a stationary tripod that kept the viewing angle the same between glasses? Both the AFM and CV shots between PDI and Bob's glass are at different angles or at least different zooms. As you know, with light, any variance in angle and distance is going to bias the results one way or the other. Or was the camera the same and the variance is in editing?

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I think i'd just stick with regular glass, nothing in the AFM videos would make me want to shed out more cash, when a regular sheet is $40. Thanks for your hard work in doing the comparisons, it was really appreciated!

I agree. There definitely seems to be an advantage to using the PDI glass but you could still see some glare from the backglass even with PDI (although it was slight). I'm sure it's breath taking in person but unless the cost was about half I wouldn't want the investment (and that's not going to happen). I couldn't tell a difference between standard and Bob's Ultimate visually. IMHO the PDI is superior but for the cost I would just stick with my standard glass.
    Plus if I accidentally scratched the PDI glass I would be really pissed.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I couldn't tell a difference between standard and Bob's Ultimate visually.

That's what I was thinking.

I think if you're someone that REALLY doesn't like glare PDI is still the way to go. So expensive though.

Anxious to see what JJ gives us for new glass alternatives.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Anxious to see what JJ gives us for new glass alternatives

+1. Would be great to add Invisiglass to comparison once available. Yay! more work for our volunteers.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I appreciate the time and effort that went into this report and video's. I'm sure the amount of editing and installing/removing glasses took your entire week/weekend. However, I'm going to be the first to complain (SORRY!!). Couldn't you use a stationary tripod that kept the viewing angle the same between glasses? Both the AFM and CV shots between PDI and Bob's glass are at different angles or at least different zooms. As you know, with light, any variance in angle and distance is going to bias the results one way or the other. Or was the camera the same and the variance is in editing?

I agree with this. But it still seems pretty evident to me that the PDI glass is clearly the winner. The Bobs Ultimate glass merely seems to make the glare/reflections a bit less severe that regular glass. Frankly, if I'm going to spend what the Bob's Ultimate costs, I'd bite the bullet and go all out for the PDI glass. I love my PDI glass and can't wait for my next couple of sheets to arrive in a couple of weeks.

#12 12 years ago

I can't wait for the JJP glass either, especially since I am in need of some widebody glass.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

However, I'm going to be the first to complain (SORRY!!). Couldn't you use a stationary tripod that kept the viewing angle the same between glasses? Both the AFM and CV shots between PDI and Bob's glass are at different angles or at least different zooms. As you know, with light, any variance in angle and distance is going to bias the results one way or the other. Or was the camera the same and the variance is in editing?

+1 I noticed this also. Hard to make a equal comparison, when the angles are different.

#14 12 years ago

thank for all the efforts like others said but i don't see much difference with standard and yours and the fact that it's not the same angle doesn't help to prove anything.

i guess for a final result we need to see it in person.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

Phoog's glass has less reflections and glare than standard glass.

Thanks for the great work pzy and mutterfudder. These things are never truely appreciated unless they are seen in person. I'm willing to lower the price if I get enough interest. As I have stated, if I can buy full sheets and cut the individual pieces myself then there will be a savings passed on to my fellow pinheads. This glass is not PDI glass but it is better than standard glass as stated by someone who has seen it first hand.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

The bevel is really not noticeable during gameplay, but the mirroring/doubling of some toys/ramps along the edges of the playfield are visible

The size of the bevel is adjustable. I can make the bevel smaller if that is the preferance. I can make it where the bevel is mostly tucked in the side rail and you can still get thicker glass. I am also offering 3/16 glass that does not have a bevel but does have the same improved clarity and glare reduction. I will have that information on pinballglass.com in the next day or so.

#17 12 years ago

I wanted to include some info about JJP's upcoming Invisiglass, and I e-mailed Jack, but he didn't get back to me with any technical info about the glass. He did say he was hoping to show it off soon, so hopefully we get to see what it's all about!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

He did say he was hoping to show it off soon, so hopefully we get to see what it's all about!

Perhaps he will have a sample of it at MGC.

Thanks again for taking all the time and energy to do this, pzy!

#19 12 years ago

Makes me want PDI even more.

#20 12 years ago

meh, honestly i'm more interested in 'sound dampening' than glare reduction. i'd love to hear nothing but the audio from the backbox and cabinet speaker. probably the reason why i sometimes/used to listen to ipods and headphones when i'd play. no way i'm paying 200+ for 1 piece of glass i can get for 25$.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

the fact that it's not the same angle doesn't help to prove anything.

I was also saddened by this fact; it really doesn't help us at all if the camera is in a different spot/angle. BOS pretty much summed up my feelings on wanting sound dampening over everything else.
    Oh well...
    Since my machines all have a shaker and a FF kit installed, I have resorted to using (bicycle) DSP 1.8 handlebar tape along the back channel and on some tiny portions of the side channels, to keep the glass from rattling during the more dramatic sequences. It works like a charm and can be removed at any time. The sound clarity is greatly improved (without the added rattle) and the bass just feels more solid. Thus, making my pinball time more enjoyable/immersive.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

The sound clarity is greatly improved (without the added rattle) and the bass just feels more solid. Thus, making my pinball time more enjoyable/immersive.

At the end of the "Bob's Ultimate Installation Video" if you turn your volume up you can hear the comment about a snug fit. No rattling.

#23 12 years ago

No rattling.

That would be nice! I tend to have the volume cranked to 11.

11.jpeg11.jpeg

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

meh, honestly i'm more interested in 'sound dampening' than glare reduction. i'd love to hear nothing but the audio from the backbox and cabinet speaker. probably the reason why i sometimes/used to listen to ipods and headphones when i'd play. no way i'm paying 200+ for 1 piece of glass i can get for 25$.

Agree. I was hoping this new glass would reduce the mechanical sound of the machine more than removing glares, especially since I like to play primarily in a dim to dark room anyways. The PDI glass looks the best but it is pricey. If you're gonna mod your machine I suppose its the mod to do alongside upgrading the sound to Flipper Fidelity speakers.

#25 12 years ago

Thanks to all for the extensive work to put these together.

Based on those videos my opinion is that I will need to see a side by side for myself. Currently I am of the opinion that few pins warrant the cost of anything more than standard, but if you are going to go with a high dollar glass, then PDI has my vote.

It all really comes down to price point. If I am going to spend more than $40 then for the money I am going to buy the PDI because it is far superior than the phooglass in properties and is not really substantially more than the phooglass.

That said, if Phooglass only cost $100 then I would likely fit all my pins with it as the minor decrease in reflectance and sound dampening would be worth the extra $60 over standard.

JMHO.

#26 12 years ago

Hey good job guys. I wish the videos were shot from the same reference point as others have mentioned but if you concentrate on the AFM reflected from the back glass and the light on the ceiling I think you can get a good idea of what each glass is doing. I might be interested in some standard thickness phoog glass if the price was right.

#27 12 years ago

Thanks PZY, nice work man. I'll say to those who said we should have shot them all from the same spot that yes, we tried to get everything back to the same spots on all the machines, but we had to move the tripod out of the way to get glass on and off, and this was shot in all kinds of different sequence. So, we did the best we could. I think it came out pretty damn well.

As promised, my other thoughts on the glass are below. For the TL;DR crowd: BevelGlass is an improvement over the standard sheet on your pin right now. The game below seems to pop and is clearer than even a new sheet of the tempered stuff. There may be a slight glare reduction if you play in an environment with a lot of overhead light. Sound dampening? If it's there it's hardly noticeable. Comparable to PDI? No. But a bit better than standard.

After a few nights of playing with "Bob's Ultimate Pinball Glass" on my Theatre of Magic, my immediate thought is "anyone who's comparing this to PDI glass is going to be disappointed". Which is accurate to begin with, since the glass was here since my friend "PZY" had taken up the task of comparing this thick, heavy, beveled glass (herefore known as Bevelglass™) to the PDI glass sitting on the AFM next to me. But it's an unfair comparison, no different than comparing a Prius to a Corvette. Sure, they're both cars, but that's about it.

Let's talk specifically about Bevelglass in comparison to standard glass:

Visual: There is a clarity and level of detail to the game below that is better than the standard sheets I've had around the house. The insert colors seem to have a bit more contrast and clarity with Bezel glass on. When it comes to glare, the glass performs about as well as a standard sheet. Spots of light from backglass or DMD don't seem to have a much of a difference between the two. If like me, your machines are in an environment that has a lot of natural light, you may not notice much of a difference between the two. Once the light levels go down, there is a marked difference between them. Bevelglass does seem to perform better with background soft light in a darker room. In that darkened room, the glass produces a clearly better result than standard glass, and comes close to the PDI "The glass is not there" effect.

Sound dampening: I touched on this earlier in the thread, but there doesn't appear to be much difference between the two glasses. I've posted some audio with the two glasses installed and posted them here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-amazing-pinball-glass/page/6#post-172136

The Bevel: I'll call this out as I assume it will be a sticking point for some people. The glass has about a half-inch bevel on the left and right sides of the playfield. It's important to note that sides at the top and bottom of the playfield do not have the bevel. This is good because, as a player standing at the game, the bevels aren't really noticeable. People surfing over your shoulder will notice a prism effect of double vision when looking through the bevels, but it shouldn't have any effect on your gameplay. Some people will probably dislike the bevel (I know I was on the fence) but after seeing it on the machine it doesn't bother me and it looks nice (in my opinion).

Comparing BevelGlass with PDI Glass: This is a tough comparison for the Bevelglass. If you haven't seen PDI glass installed, it is almost completely imperceptible from the bottom of the playfield to about 2/3 of the way to the top of the playfield while playing the game. The effect is nothing short of amazing, and it makes you almost forget the glass is there. BevelGlass doesn't have that same effect, and seeing that it doesn't go through the same process it seems almost unfair to compare the two. BevelGlass does seem clearer than standard glass and almost invisible in optimal lighting conditions (no hard overhead lighting, no hard reflections from the DMD or backglass, etc). PDI glass shows some glare with hard overhead lighting, but it's much less noticeable than BevelGlass.

DMD Glare Guard: I had a chance to test the BevelGlass with a DMD glare guard from Wrong Crowd. As expected, this provided a dramatic difference in the upper half of the playfield by blocking DMD glare without obscuring anything on the game itself. With this on the BevelGlass had a much clearer top half (again, lighting condition specific!) and was notably better looking than standard sheet glass. When testing the glass on Cirqus Voltaire (DMD below the glass), the effect was similar to using the Glare Guard on LOTR and ToM. The glare guard also made a difference on PDI glass on my AFM. If anything, this has sold me on buying glare guards for my other pins, and I can't recommend them enough.

Misc. Thoughts: The glass is HEAVY, or at least feels heavier than a standard sheet of WPC glass. The images depicting the glass as not having a green edge tint are accurate. The bevels actually made it a tad easier to slide in to the rails, and it doesn't feel like it's loose in any way. In fact it's quite snug in there. Finally, when cleaning this weekend, I flat out dropped the Bevelglass to the floor (idiot, I know!). No scratches or dings, and the thing is in one piece. Clearly it takes a lickin!

#28 12 years ago

Very interesting.
    I have PDI in my TZ and I don't think it's worth it.
    So I don't think this other glass would be worth it either.

It's like trying to reinvent the wheel...regular glass works just fine and is good enough for me.

#29 12 years ago

My local glass shop can make something called "Starfire" glass. It is ultra clear glass and the thinnest is 1/4" thick, and it runs $90 a sheet (sound familar?). Anyways, the PDI glass is noticeably better than the starfire glass. Therefore, I have ordered 20 sheets of PDI glass and outfitted my whole gameroom.

Note, the glass isnt to remove glare. Glare from say the DMD still shows up about the same. Instead, it provides a level of clarity you cannot get otherwise. The colors pop. It's really amazing. For anyone that buys mods for his machine, you must get the PDI glass. If you want to know how it will look, remove the glass from your machine and compare.

#30 12 years ago

My apologies if this was covered but how is it beveled? I assume a single bevel and if so how did you have it in the machine? Bevel up,down?

#31 12 years ago

A detailed pic of the bevel was shown here: http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=155716&bbat=17722&inline

Looks like single bevel, top side slopes down to fit into channel, bottom side is flat all the away across the glass.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

A detailed pic of the bevel was shown here: http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=155716&bbat=17722&inline
    Looks like single bevel, top side slopes down to fit into channel, bottom side is flat all the away across the glass.

To answer your question Taylor, that is exactly how it's beveled. I installed it as Robertmee posted; flat side down to the playfield.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

+1

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Very interesting.
    I have PDI in my TZ and I don't think it's worth it.
    So I don't think this other glass would be worth it either.
    It's like trying to reinvent the wheel...regular glass works just fine and is good enough for me.

What is your definition of "works just fine"?

My pins that don't have PDI glass look dull and lifeless in comparison to the pin I have it on

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Since my machines all have a shaker and a FF kit installed, I have resorted to using (bicycle) DSP 1.8 handlebar tape along the back channel and on some tiny portions of the side channels, to keep the glass from rattling during the more dramatic sequences. It works like a charm and can be removed at any time. The sound clarity is greatly improved (without the added rattle) and the bass just feels more solid. Thus, making my pinball time more enjoyable/immersive.

Good to know thanks for the tip NP I will have to give that a try.

Thanks for the work on this you put in pzy and to Phoog for submitting a sample for testing it is appreciated. I do wish the camera was set up in the same spot as others have mentioned.

#36 12 years ago

does PDI scratch easier than standard glass?

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from MutterFudder:

Thanks PZY, nice work man. I'll say to those who said we should have shot them all from the same spot that yes, we tried to get everything back to the same spots on all the machines, but we had to move the tripod out of the way to get glass on and off, and this was shot in all kinds of different sequence. So, we did the best we could. I think it came out pretty damn well.

Thanks for the comments and efforts. Like most people, I'd have to see the glass in person to evaluate. The videos make the Phoog and standard glass appear pretty similar. Part of this is indeed the noticeably different angles and fields of view in the videos.

Getting a consistent framing is not rocket science. Just mount the camcorder to a tripod. Place the tripod in front of the pin. Mark the tripod feet locations with tape or pennies or something. Move and replace the tripod in the exact same position after changing glass sheets. Don't change any of the ambient lighting or camcorder settings. That's all it takes. Trying to do it "by eye" is not scientific nor accurate. And for catching differences in glare/reflections, variable camera placement makes all the fancy video editing somewhat of a waste of time, as the critical info is lacking.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes I am pretty sure it does.

#39 12 years ago

1) I'd like to see the test redone with a stationary camera.
    2) I'd like to see the videos edited, so a proper comparison can be made.

There should only be one video per game. Edit the transistions so you see all 3 different glasses in each video.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No. You just care if it's scratched more.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

MutterFudder said:Thanks PZY, nice work man. I'll say to those who said we should have shot them all from the same spot that yes, we tried to get everything back to the same spots on all the machines, but we had to move the tripod out of the way to get glass on and off, and this was shot in all kinds of different sequence. So, we did the best we could. I think it came out pretty damn well.

Thanks for the comments and efforts. Like most people, I'd have to see the glass in person to evaluate. The videos make the Phoog and standard glass appear pretty similar. Part of this is indeed the noticeably different angles and fields of view in the videos.
    Getting a consistent framing is not rocket science. Just mount the camcorder to a tripod. Place the tripod in front of the pin. Mark the tripod feet locations with tape or pennies or something. Move and replace the tripod in the exact same position after changing glass sheets. Don't change any of the ambient lighting or camcorder settings. That's all it takes. Trying to do it "by eye" is not scientific nor accurate. And for catching differences in glare/reflections, variable camera placement makes all the fancy video editing somewhat of a waste of time, as the critical info is lacking.

You could also place the tripod further back and use zoom, so the tripod wouldn't have to be moved.

#42 12 years ago

Thanks PZY and MutterFudder, for going to all of the effort and getting this done in such a timely manner.

#43 12 years ago

Here's how good PDI glass is. Everyone that plays pinball with the glass off will reach down to stop the ball from going in the trough. When I installed PDI glass on MB and played the first ball i hit my hand on the glass reaching for the ball because I couldn't even tell it was there. 'Nuff said.

However, I'm not really sure how well it works with the light shining off of shiny bald heads onto the glass ;->

#44 12 years ago

Sooo, the overall is that if the price is REALLY right, Phooglass is the way to go over standard ?

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sooo, the overall is that if the price is REALLY right, Phooglass is the way to go over standard ?

If the 'Bob's Ultimate" glass doesn't offer any difference in reflection or any difference in sound-dampening over standard glass, what's the point of shelling out the extra cash?

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

If the 'Bob's Ultimate" glass doesn't offer any difference in reflection or any difference in sound-dampening over standard glass, what's the point of shelling out the extra cash?

I do believe that both pzy and mutterfudder said that it was a lot better than standard glass.

#47 12 years ago
    Quoted from postermen:

StevenP said:MutterFudder said:Thanks PZY, nice work man. I'll say to those who said we should have shot them all from the same spot that yes, we tried to get everything back to the same spots on all the machines, but we had to move the tripod out of the way to get glass on and off, and this was shot in all kinds of different sequence. So, we did the best we could. I think it came out pretty damn well.
    You could also place the tripod further back and use zoom, so the tripod wouldn't have to be moved.

Yeah, that would be even easier/better! doh! [slaps own forehead]

#48 12 years ago

Send me a sheet of the stuff and I'll do it justice. I have experience doing this sort of thing, and can use a camera quite well.

http://www.thekorn.net/glare_guards/
    http://www.thekorn.net/gold/index.php

Oh, and lest Kim get upset, I did test his glare guards as well... http://www.thekorn.net/glare_guards/pinzero.jpg .

I also own audio level measuring equipment. See http://tinyurl.com/7lyoccl ( http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/b5df800129b9a9b0/ad753c1114a130d3?q=thekorn+expo+db+group:rec.games.pinball )

Quoted from StevenP:

Part of this is indeed the noticeably different angles and fields of view in the videos.
    Getting a consistent framing is not rocket science. Just mount the camcorder to a tripod. Place the tripod in front of the pin. Mark the tripod feet locations with tape or pennies or something. Move and replace the tripod in the exact same position after changing glass sheets. Don't change any of the ambient lighting or camcorder settings.

To be honest it's going to take quite a bit more than that. You need to lock down EVERYTHING on the camera -- aperture, shutter speed, iso AND the white balance, along with locking focus and planting that tripod. You have to control the room lighting 100%. (i.e. no daytime shots!) Moving and replacing will simply not work. Miss *any* of those and you just don't have a comparison.

#49 12 years ago

So the concensus is that the tests were not controlled enough to satisfy everyone. The verbal opinions of pzy and mutterfudder are consistent with anyone who has seen this glass on a pinball machine. That being that it is far better than standard glass is a lot of ways. I have gotten my cost down and I have also produced a 3/16 version of Bob's Ultimate that does not have bevels and is less expensive. So here it is: Bob's Ultimate Pinball Glass is now $110 plus shipping and handling. The 3/16 version of Bob's Ultimate is called Super-clear Standard Glass and is $85 plus shipping and handling. I also have standard glass listed at very low prices. More to come. Please let me know what you think. Please visit pinballglass.com for more details!

#50 12 years ago

You should take Korn up on his offer....If he blesses it, the masses will follow as he's very well respected on RGP.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-vs-bobs-ultimate-aka-phoogs-pinball-glass-face-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.