• Latest reply 8 years ago by Eskaybee
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rob-lowe-directv-hed-2014.jpg
1411657163601_wps_5_23_September_2014_Los_Ang.jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Shipping across the ocean adds a lot.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Shipping across the ocean adds a lot.

No doubt shipping's a factor, and I'm sure there are import hassles. If you're bringing in hundreds of sheets at a time though, I wouldn't expect either of those factors to double the cost. But PDI is priced at the same level as Invisigalss (which is evidently not quite as good) so I doubt there's much urgency for discounting.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

It actually has an optical coating, which can't be cheap to do.....but if it's not worth it to you, that just saves you $$$.
I'm not thrilled about the price either ( or the price of alot of stuff, actually ), but for me, a must have..

I'm sure it's not a cheap process. that's besides the point. It's the fact on how well it actually does what it was initially designed to do. Which it was initially designed to block DMD and backglass glare. Which it only does about 50%. If it worked 100% like it should of, it would have been well worth it. But it does not. Eliminating room lighting really isn't that critical for those of us that don't have lights directly above our machines, or play in the dark.

#54 8 years ago

Lets take out the glare argument for just a minute and what do you have:

Standard Glass: Portraits a foggy view of the entire playfield, lighting, and experience

PDI/Invisiglass: Pops all colors out with a vibrant high definition feel and experience.

To put it more bluntly, this is rob lowe with PDI/Invisiglass
1411657163601_wps_5_23_September_2014_Los_Ang.jpg1411657163601_wps_5_23_September_2014_Los_Ang.jpg

This is Rob Lowe with Standard glass
rob-lowe-directv-hed-2014.jpgrob-lowe-directv-hed-2014.jpg

Any further questions?

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Standard Glass: Portraits a foggy view of the entire playfield, lighting, and experience
PDI/Invisiglass: Pops all colors out with a vibrant high definition feel and experience.
1411657163601_wps_5_23_September_2014_Los_Ang.jpg
rob-lowe-directv-hed-2014.jpg
Any further questions?

Too funny!!!....excellent analogy...

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm sure it's not a cheap process. that's besides the point. It's the fact on how well it actually does what it was initially designed to do. Which it was initially designed to block DMD and backglass glare. Which it only does about 50%. If it worked 100% like it should of, it would have been well worth it. But it does not. Eliminating room lighting really isn't that critical for those of us that don't have lights directly above our machines, or play in the dark.

Weird thing for me (might just be my eyes)...... it cuts a big chunk of the glare out, which used to bug me....but also seems to enhance the colors on the playfield......my best example (just from my games and my eyes):

I've got dimmable lighting (about 20%/ 20w halogen spot each) over one row of my machines except TRONLE...it's totally in the dark (best for that machine, IMO)

When I bought that machine (non PDI) and put it with the others, I figured I wouldn't notice it having plain glass (being in the dark, and pretty much badass on it's own, playfield light wise). But the playfield actually looked "dull" compared to the others around it (hard to describe, and maybe just my eyes).

Swapped PDI in, and playfield "came to life" color-wise........so it's more than just glare for me. Once I got used to how the PDI looks, there was no going back.......is what it is......

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Whatever gets you through the night, man.
Just don't think about the Russian-made cargo ship, the Chinese crew, and the Et Ceteran dock workers.

I know you. Your the one who confuses Russia with Russians and China with Chinese. No worries, ignorance is bliss. Cognitive dissonance for some is a way of living the life they think they should be living. Unfortunately for some, reality doesn't always agree, even when history is re-written. No worries. You and yours can keep up the mis-directed hate. Some folks thrive on it.....not me.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Any further questions?

Now that I've seen the pics, I think I look more like standard glass Rob Lowe.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm lucky to live just an hour away from PDI, so I was able to pick mine up. I splurged and got 8 sheets (at a slight discount, nothing huge). It's definitely a personal preference thing. But my experience was that once I had 1 sheet, all my games "wanted" PDI glass.

I agree, living this close to them makes it very tempting to buy it for every machine. I have several sheets and definitely want to get more. You're definitely my role model Swampfire (not sure if that's a good thing...)

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Now that I've seen the pics, I think I look more like standard glass Rob Lowe.

So that's how one too many, time-trippin Swampburner looks...
We could be brothers.

#61 8 years ago

Thread title should read :
PDI-Holy Motherfucking Shit !!!
It is that good.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

My pinball back boxes have bright LED's in them and that really glares off the TOP part of the pinball glass area and it is hard to see the upper playfield area because of that (I lost vision in 1 eye) ... would the PDI glass solve that problem or take most of that glare away?

I was going to order PDI for my TWDLE because glare was so bad. It has PDI backbox kit that is awesome.

Brandon at Arcade Upkeep sent me his dimmer modified to work with PDI backbox light kit with auto dimming when game starts.

For $28 pretty hard to beat! I love the product and the fact my Backbox is bright in attract mode! And no more glare during gameplay!!!

#63 8 years ago

sepins ...

THANKS for the information!

#64 8 years ago

PDI glass is no more translucent than standard glass. Someone posted a video with a side by side comparison looking at stuff through the glass, and visually there was absolutely no difference. If you have no light in back of you when looking through it, it's exactly the same. The reason you "think" it's clearer, is because it's good at reducing ambient room lighting glare. But physically it's not any clearer or making the colors any different than a standard piece of glass.

#65 8 years ago

I'll definitely agree that if you play in the dark and your game is lit from inside like a Christmas tree, there's not a lot of benefit to PDI. I like PDI as an alternative to LED-ing my games, because I can use as much room lighting as I want. I've got a dimmer to make the lighting "just right".

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

PDI glass is no more translucent than standard glass. Someone posted a video with a side by side comparison looking at stuff through the glass, and visually there was absolutely no difference. If you have no light in back of you when looking through it, it's exactly the same. The reason you "think" it's clearer, is because it's good at reducing ambient room lighting glare. But physically it's not any clearer or making the colors any different than a standard piece of glass.

I play in a dark room and I can tell you, there's a difference! I couldn't live without it, seriously.

#67 8 years ago

So much of a difference, in fact, that I put PDI on all of my machines. I hated playing without it.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So much of a difference, in fact, that I put PDI on all of my machines. I hated playing without it.

I'm sure it's great, but I'm going color DMD for all my pins.

I know it's not as if you can't do both, but with a limited amount of money, and with (my concern) that I'd get a scratch in the PDI glass coating. I clean my glass so it's very clear almost invisible in my dark room. I do believe PDI would take it up a notch but to me comparing orange/red DMD to Color DMD is a much bigger difference than having an extra percentage of clearer glass.

Next on my list is color side armor/legs for my pro machines and then PDI.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know it's not as if you can't do both, but with a limited amount of money, and with (my concern) that I'd get a scratch in the PDI glass coating. I clean my glass so it's very clear almost invisible in my dark room. I do believe PDI would take it up a notch but to me comparing orange/red DMD to Color DMD is a much bigger difference than having an extra percentage of clearer glass.

I would go pdi/invisiglass before armor. For what it's worth.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

You're not gonna hear me argue...they're both great mods, and either one is worth the money.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I would go pdi/invisiglass before armor. For what it's worth.

I hear that.

I'm going to wait recover my wallet after ordering $1200 worth of Color DMD.

But maybe next Xmas will get 7-8 PDI, I don't like to go half measure.

#72 8 years ago

Still my main concern is a scratch, I've had kids play my machines. Don't want to sound like I'm anal about my machines but I don't want to be like watching like a hawk to make sure they don't touch the glass.

I hope it's not super easy to scratch? Anyone have any comment on that?

#73 8 years ago

Never had a scratch. But I'm anal like you are. Still, I don't watch my machines all the time (who can?), and they take a good beating sometimes as all pins do. Not a single scratch.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've had 9 sheets for at least a year, with several parties, 2 league nights and 1 tournament. No scratches. The only thing I ask is that people don't write their scores using the PDI glass for support. That's probably an unnecessary precaution.

Our new kitten has jumped all over the machines this past month. When I cleaned the glass for my son's party, the little paw prints came right up, and there wasn't a single scratch.

#75 8 years ago

ColorDMD is great, and I hope to get a few more for Chrstmas. But I would still go with PDI glass first. Just a personal preference. Note that I was a PDI skeptic *and* a ColorDMD skeptic. That saved me money for a while, but I eventually caved in on both, and I'm glad I did.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

ColorDMD is great, and I hope to get a few more for Chrstmas. But I would still go with PDI glass first. Just a personal preference. Note that I was a PDI skeptic *and* a ColorDMD skeptic. That saved me money for a while, but I eventually caved in on both, and I'm glad I did.

There once was a guy named Swampfire
Who bought both mods in a...

Oh wait...wrong thread.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Still my main concern is a scratch, I've had kids play my machines. Don't want to sound like I'm anal about my machines but I don't want to be like watching like a hawk to make sure they don't touch the glass.

I've had my invisiglass for about 4 years. Thought I had a scratch once but turned out to be a smudge. Anyway; kids, guests, glass out, cats chasing Pinballs during gameplay....no scratches

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-glass-holy-crap/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.