New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 108505)

PDI glass doesn't fit in WOZLE?

By pinball_customs

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Razorbak86
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jedi-mind-trick.jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I must be missing something. Last I checked prices were basically the same?

There are frequently sales of but one get one or buy one get one half off. I've never seen PDI glass on sale.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

You are. Invisiglass is buy 1 get 1 half off at pinballsales.com.

Is that a permanent deal or temporary sale?

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is that a permanent deal or temporary sale?

Good question. They've had that deal for several weeks, but not sure exactly how long. The latest batch has a logo in the corner and the glass now has rounded edges.

#54 5 years ago

If PDI is made in Germany its 5mm metric

too tight in data east games too

#55 5 years ago

I've bought 1/4 inch glass on purpose for a couple of games that had subs and/or shakers. It was the only thing that stopped the glass from rattling on my AFM. It is tight at first but loosens up. It does not fit in all games. Some games 3/16 glass with anti rattle tape is all that is needed.

So to me, the glass being tight enough to have to be forced in and out is a good thing. WOZ has a decent woofer and a shaker, so I would go with the PDI.

#56 5 years ago

So, no concerns overtime with forcing a piece of glass in there, other than being a PITA when trying to remove??

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

So, no concerns overtime with forcing a piece of glass in there, other than being a PITA when trying to remove??

Personally I would be concerned that you will scratch the coating. Once that happens I'm not sure if it peels off like clearcoat or not.

#58 5 years ago

Didn't see Invisiglass on sale. Maybe for Black Friday

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

Didn't see Invisiglass on sale. Maybe for Black Friday

It is. Put 2 sheets in you cart and check the total.

#60 5 years ago

Was thinking of ordering some PDI glass. Does it have a coating? Or is invisiglass the only glass with a coating?

#61 5 years ago

Wait a sec, check the video again. While Invisiglass has a blue/green tint, does it also not do the better job of reducing glare? Look again, ignore the color and tell me what you think.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

Was thinking of ordering some PDI glass. Does it have a coating? Or is invisiglass the only glass with a coating?

All low-reflectance glasses are coated. Your eyeglasses, your camera, and your pin.

It's deposited right on the glass, so it shouldn't be a (larger) problem if you scratch it.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

PDI glass is 3/16" thick just like all other glass. I had my wiz glass way too tight to remove also. I filed out the inside of the plastic channels until it was manageable.

If the glass is coming from Europe, it's generally either 4mm (.15748 inch) or 5mm (.19685) whereas 3/16 = .1875 ... anyone can take some calipers as I don't have either here, but my guess is the 5mm if it's a tight fit.

#64 5 years ago

Joey Lipovsky, owner of Pinball Decals, Inc. ("PDI"), the exclusive North American Distributor of Roman Kunovic's non-glare glass from Germany (aka "Roman glass" in Europe, "PDI glass" in the US), states the thickness of the glass on his website...

"All PDI - Optical NG Glass is 5mm Thick"

http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

All low-reflectance glasses are coated. Your eyeglasses, your camera, and your pin.
It's deposited right on the glass, so it shouldn't be a (larger) problem if you scratch it.

Thanks for clairfiying.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

PDI glass has no coating, the antiglare properties are built directly into the glass (hence the cost). This info comes directly from Roman himself. JJP glass is essentially a $40 sheet of glass with a coating on it, so they can afford to offer discounts.

I've spoken to Roman directly, the process of making his glass is very expensive so there's very little wiggle room for price adjustments. Pinball is a very tiny part of his market, displays and museums are his primary market

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

PDI glass has no coating, the antiglare properties are built directly into the glass (hence the cost).

That surprises me....and per PDI isn't true. From http://www.pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html, the PDI homepage:

This is an optically coated....

Which is what I expected. There's only so much you can do to glass to change its reflective properties in the bulk, so some kind of optical coating is the typical solution.

#68 5 years ago

To avoid any misunderstanding...
PDI is coated 3 times (diving process), then burnt into the glass (merging process).
As far as I'm informed Invisiglass is coated using a sputtering process.
This might be the main reason why the surface properties from both (PDI and Invisiglass)
are different.
Maybe Jack can chime in and clarify.

Quoted from pinball_customs:

I've spoken to Roman directly, the process of making his glass is very expensive so there's very little wiggle room for price adjustments. Pinball is a very tiny part of his market, displays and museums are his primary market

True x3, btw. my primary market is the IT industry, Telecomms and Consulting.

#69 5 years ago

thanks for clarifying, Roman!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from MagicJumpi:

PDI is coated 3 times (diving process), then burnt into the glass (merging process).
This might be the main reason why the surface properties from both (PDI and Invisiglass)
are different.

True x3, btw. my primary market is the IT industry, Telecomms and Consulting.

Thank you for clarifying. If the coating is burnt into the glass, what does that mean if the glass is scratched? Does that make PDI glass more robust than a glass that has the coating sputtered on?

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from MagicJumpi:

are different.

Thanks for clarifying, Roman. I really appreciate you making that video comparing PDI glass to Invisiglass side-by-side. It would be good to see Jack chime in and clarify about his coating process, because the product details and low-resolution comparison photos on his website aren't very informative, IMHO. I strongly believe that transparency in product comparisons is always good for potential buyers.

#72 5 years ago

Thank you for clarifying. If the coating is burnt into the glass, what does that mean if the glass is scratched?

Due to the fact that antireflective glass is/looks clearer than regular glass, there is a higher contrast ratio between the scratch and the antireflective glass. The coating won't peel off, no worries.

Does that make PDI glass more robust than a glass that has the coating sputtered on?

Perhaps...I haven't tested it yet.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

I strongly believe that transparency in product comparisons is always good for potential buyers.

Pinball News made some comparisons too
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html
and I've written many, many times here (use search function) to explain glass, its properties and differences.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from MagicJumpi:

Pinball News made some comparisons too
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html
and I've written many, many times here (use search function) to explain glass, its properties and differences.

Thanks, Roman. I've seen the Pinballnews comparisons, and I've read your detailed posts here on Pinside. Haven't seen much detailed comparison info from Jack, however, other than some cute low-rez photos on his website. My comment was more of a hint for Jack than for you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside