Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Razorbak86
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jedi-mind-trick.jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

A customer contacted me and let me know PDI glass is too thick and doesn't fit in the channels. I don't doubt him but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

That's just JJP trying to corner the market by making their competitor's anti-glare glass not fit.

#3 5 years ago

I would shave the top layer of the glass off so it fits

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I would shave the top layer of the glass off so it fits

For the scratch pdi glass goes for, you are more brave than I am.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

For the scratch pdi glass goes for, you are more brave than I am.

Wait , you thought I was serious? lol dude...scrape the top layer of glass off? lol?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Wait , you thought I was serious? lol dude...scrape the top layer of glass off? lol?

Well, you have a dry sense of humor. you need to give me an emoticon dang it. My bad.

#7 5 years ago

This sounds a little strange, but only a little. Anyone willing to repeat this and provide the results?

#8 5 years ago

It just doesn't make any sense, aren't they both the same standard thickness? Unless the cabs themselves are a hair narrower than a WMS widebody cab..

#9 5 years ago

Not sure on PDI but Invisiglass is thicker than standard. What was loose fitting glass is now snug.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

It just doesn't make any sense, aren't they both the same standard thickness? Unless the cabs themselves are a hair narrower than a WMS widebody cab..

Wait. Cabinet width? Aren't we talking about the thickness of the glass and not the width?

#11 5 years ago

Its probably the surface sticking to the plastic channel more. I know for a fact that the JJP glass sticks to the channels more than standard glass.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Wait. Cabinet width? Aren't we talking about the thickness of the glass and not the width?

I'm just trying to figure out what may be causing the friction.. I could see if it were the other way around, Invisiglass has a coating on it

#13 5 years ago

PDI glass is slightly thicker then regular glass. No sure how it compares in thickness to Invisiglass though.

#14 5 years ago

Invisiglass is a very snug fit in WOZ. If you try to slide it in at a slight angle, it can dig into the plastic channel and stop. It's been known to take plastic shavings out of the channels.

I don't know how PDI glass compares though.

#15 5 years ago

My invisiglass is pretty snug in the woz playfield glass channel.

#16 5 years ago

I switched over to PDI. Snug, but definitely fits without any issues.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I switched over to PDI. Snug, but definitely fits without any issues.

Just wondering why you would switch? I thought they were very similar.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Simple. I looked at the reflection of my face in the Invisiglass, regular glass, and PDI glass while the overhead lights were on. I could see my face in all but the PDI, and since it's painful to see my face, I switched over. Additionally, the reflection of the lights was drastically reduced in the PDI glass. If you ever get to A/B them side by side, you'll see that it's no contest.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Similar yes.. Both quite nice, but PDI takes the cake. Though I do import PDI into Canada, I do it more as a favour than for profit (my margins are so slim I can probably afford a coffee... Maybe a muffin). So that said, I remain unbiased and own both. Both work as advertised for the player, but the differences are more noticeable for the onlooker as PDI has a wider angle of effect. Also invisibles capture fingerprints WAY easier thanks to the coating process vs. being built right into the glass.

Aaanyway, this particular buyer has PDI in all his other games and wanted them all to match.

Thanks for the help gang, I figured it may be a tight fit to begin with.. To fight glass rattle I'm assuming.

#20 5 years ago

PDI glass is 3/16" thick just like all other glass. I had my wiz glass way too tight to remove also. I filed out the inside of the plastic channels until it was manageable.

#21 5 years ago

I'm the customer Brock is talking about. The problem is not the width of the glass, its the thickness. Once the PDI gets about halfway into the machine, I literally have to exert enough pressure to push it in the rest of the way. In order to get it out, have to palm plant both hands on the glass by the head and really push hard to get it to move enough so that I can grab it at the bottom.

So, it's apparent to me the glass is too thick for the channels in the side rails. I'll have to stick with the invisiglass.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I'm the customer Brock is talking about. The problem is not the width of the glass, its the thickness. Once the PDI gets about halfway into the machine, I literally have to exert enough pressure to push it in the rest of the way. In order to get it out, have to palm plant both hands on the glass by the head and really push hard to get it to move enough so that I can grab it at the bottom.
So, it's apparent to me the glass is too thick for the channels in the side rails. I'll have to stick with the invisiglass.

so with regular glass you only figuratively have to push it it once its half way? It goes the rest of the way on its own?

#23 5 years ago

Thanks for chiming in Reg! I just don't want to sell someone something they can't use, so I'm checking to see if yours was a unique experience.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

so with regular glass you only figuratively have to push it it once its half way? It goes the rest of the way on its own?

Yes, it moves on it's own as I was trained by Yoda to use the power of my thoughts.

#25 5 years ago

All joking aside, perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. I have to FORCE the glass into the machine.

#26 5 years ago

Though I do import PDI into Canada

Not to derail your thread butt I have to ask ... what do you charge per sheet of PDI glass?

Also, I am coming up to Toronto next week ... any places to play pin? I am staying at The Fairmont Royal York

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Yes, it moves on it's own as I was trained by Yoda to use the power of my thoughts.

Quoted from Bigbossfan:

All joking aside, perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. I have to FORCE the glass into the machine.

I see what you did there...

jedi-mind-trick.jpg
#28 5 years ago

If Mike Wong invites you to his house to play some pinball.....RUN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!

Just kidding. He often invites out of towners over for some pinball. I'll let him know about the thread. Great guy.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Not to derail your thread butt I have to ask ... what do you charge per sheet of PDI glass?
Also, I am coming up to Toronto next week ... any places to play pin? I am staying at The Fairmont Royal York

Royal York! Very nice... There used to be a nice arcade across the road with many pins at Union Station.. sadly it's closed.

Price is currently $340 CAD per sheet (blame our dollar), $45 flat shipping for any number of quantity. This is significant savings up here as it costs around $180 to import a single sheet.

#30 5 years ago

Price is currently $340 CAD per sheet (blame our dollar)

Okay so you're right there on pricing with Joey at Pinball Decals! Was just wondering if you would be cheaper or not!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I have the metal glare guards that bend around the end of the glass and they work perfectly as handles to help pull the glass out. Not sure if anyone still makes these.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Simple. I looked at the reflection of my face in the Invisiglass, regular glass, and PDI glass while the overhead lights were on. I could see my face in all but the PDI, and since it's painful to see my face, I switched over. Additionally, the reflection of the lights was drastically reduced in the PDI glass. If you ever get to A/B them side by side, you'll see that it's no contest.

I have both PDI and Invisiglass; I don't see a difference whatsover. Both are great.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have both PDI and Invisiglass; I don't see a difference whatsover. Both are great.

Easiest ways to tell the difference between the two is to stand back and look at them from the side of the game. Also running your finger on the Invisiglass is a dead giveaway. You can tell there's a tint on there just by touching it. Again though, from a player perspective they both do their job fine. Invisiglass has the edge on price, so it comes down to personal preference.

#34 5 years ago

The glass in my LE fit VERY tight from the factory and I assumed this to be normal.

Actually wish all glass fit this tight especially when running aftermarket speakers / woofs - sure beats the heck out of having to use anti-rattle tape....

-Rod

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Well, you have a dry sense of humor. you need to give me an emoticon dang it. My bad.

There is a coating on the surface on both sides of the glass which provides the anti-reflection properties. Any type of damage to the surface would ruin the whole point.

#36 5 years ago

PDI vs. Invisiglass comparison.

#37 5 years ago

Hardware, which is which? There's very clearly a difference.
Best place to order?

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Best place to order?

PDI glass on the right. As per the notes on YouTube -

JJP's Invisiglass with 2,13% reflection (left)
Roman/PDI glass with 0,474% reflection (right)

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Best place to order?

In the US, PDI is only from pinballdecals.com. Invisiglass from pinballsales.com when it's on sale like now, otherwise can be bought regular price from a JJP distributor.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Quoted from hardware:

PDI vs. Invisiglass comparison.
ยป YouTube video

Thanks much for that video. That's exactly what I was talking about in my explanation. No contest.

#41 5 years ago

I stand corrected. I'll have to take a closer look.

#43 5 years ago

Hmm, invisiglass is the better value when on sale, but that PDI looks amazing. Hmm, a sheet for Met and one for TWD and it's like getting the shipping free.

#44 5 years ago

When I first heard of invisiglass and its price I was pissed that I paid $360 shipped for PDI glass.

Then I seen that video and felt a lot better.

If I could get Invisiglass for $150 a sheet I would buy it over PDI glass. My thought is I can always move the PDI sheet to the machine I'm playing the most. It's impressive for sure, but $360 is steep. I can't honestly say it was worth it but I won't sell it at a loss either.

#45 5 years ago

Been saying PDI this whole time : )

#46 5 years ago

PDI is better, but invisiglass is the MUCH better value. PDI isn't THAT much better.

#47 5 years ago

The Glass on my WOZLE is so tight from the factory that it shaves off pieces of the run channel everytime I re-install it.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

PDI is better, but invisiglass is the MUCH better value. PDI isn't THAT much better.

I must be missing something. Last I checked prices were basically the same?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I must be missing something. Last I checked prices were basically the same?

You are. Invisiglass is buy 1 get 1 half off at pinballsales.com.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

There is a coating on the surface on both sides of the glass which provides the anti-reflection properties. Any type of damage to the surface would ruin the whole point.

Yes I'm aware of the coating. That's why you aren't supposed to use ammonia based glass cleaners. I have purchased 5 sheets of PDI and one of invisiglass so I'm familiar with the product. I commented on another posters "joke" that went over my head.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside