Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mr68
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
20150827_205412.jpg
image.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Here's a before PDI Glass (on the left) and after picture of my Stargate machine. The differences are very noticeable, even more so in person - guests could always pick out the machines without PDI glass in my game room. Not anymore since now they all have it!

image.jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from fujur:

Here's a before PDI Glass (on the left) and after picture of my Stargate machine. The differences are very noticeable, even more so in person - guests could always pick out the machines without PDI glass in my game room. Not anymore since now they all have it!

Just got PDI on my Twilight zone and it's even more awesome in person!

image.jpg

#4 3 years ago

The best upgrade you can do is add optical glass to your machine. I just picked up some at JJP's open house to swap out my remaining glass. Hated to spend the extra money but once you add it to one of your games you eventually will want to add it all. It really does make that much of a difference.

#5 3 years ago

I think the best confirmation of how much better it is, is when casual visitors notice - and they do.

#6 3 years ago

I wish I had some of that neat guy pdi glass.
When I buy it I'm going to do all 4 games at once to save on cost.

#7 3 years ago

The PDI glass from Pinball Decals is the absolute very best.

I presently own and have tested all of the optical glass out there along with invited guests to my home. Starfire, museum glass, Invisaglass, PDI glass.... Its a run away winner with the PDI glass and I've been testing for years now.

Skeptical? - Open invitation to anyone to come see and play my collection and decide for themselves. Boulder, Colorado, locals and travelers always welcome. I have done this demonstration of the different glasses many times.

It baffles me when people pay $150 or $200 for a unique mod to a specific game but not a little more for the best pinball upgrade of them all. And its transferable to other machines so go ahead keep it if you sell a game.

Put some people together for a moderate or large order. Then ask Pinball Decals for a discount and split the shipping. This is what I've done and I still have a few sheets to sell if you're local.

Note: I am not affiliated with PDI or Pinball Decals and am only an enthusiastic customer. Besides, I love talking everything pinball and showing off my collection. Stop by and see for yourself the difference.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Shoot me private message if in Colorado or traveling here.

#8 3 years ago

Question: I'm playing in a dim room, no overhead lights, ambient light or lights from back box of the game. Is PDI still a big deal?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Question: I'm playing in a dim room, no overhead lights, ambient light or lights from back box of the game. Is PDI still a big deal?

For me it's a big deal. But I'm told I'm anal about my games. Its true but LOL.

I have some old school friends that have been playing for years and see no glare at all. Old scratched glass or new and they're happy as can be. And I have other friends that complain to me how they never noticed the glare before until I pointed it out to them. Now they see it everywhere. But even the old school guys will stare at my games, away from their own, not knowing why they look different but commenting how pristine they look.

Other people especially newbies with fresh eyes will ask, Why isnt there any glass in your games?

To each their own and we all have to justify the price but for me its worth the money. If the glare is acceptable to live with I'm happy for those that don't need it.

#10 3 years ago

Im pretty tall at 6'6", so the I dont usually see any glare from the dmd or backglasses. My wife on the other hand does, but she doesnt play enough to warrant paying 3-4 bucks for a piece of glass i dont think. Any other tall people use these and notice the difference?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes, it is. My game room is dark too. The area where PDI glass is most mind-blowing is the area closest to you, the lower half of the playfield. You can see no glass whatsoever there. Many folks focus their attention on DMD and backglass reflection, and that's what you can clearly see in pictures. What you CAN'T see is the subtle haze that normal glass does to light coming off the pinball, and how that is completely dissipated with PDI glass. The difference is mind-blowing.

Like other posters I've gotten asked why I didn't have the glass on more than once.

Here's a simple test... If you take off the glass on your pinball, and you can tell you took off the glass, then you will see a difference using PDI glass. If you can't see a difference, then carry on my friend and make an appointment at the optometrist ASAP.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

No reflection from the backbox or the DMD? Maybe it won't seem like a big deal, but it's a very noticeable difference. I have it on my TWD and not on my Met or BSD and every time I play either of those I keep telling myself to buy 2 more sheets. I haven't been playing much lately or I'd have sprung for them. I'm still impressed every time I do play. The pics above are a good example, but definitely don't do it justice compared to in person.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

No reflection from the backbox or the DMD? Maybe it won't seem like a big deal, but it's a very noticeable difference. I have it on my TWD and not on my Met or BSD and every time I play either of those I keep telling myself to buy 2 more sheets. I haven't been playing much lately or I'd have sprung for them. I'm still impressed every time I do play. The pics above are a good example, but definitely don't do it justice compared to in person.

I didn't explain that correctly.

Should have said I have no overhead lights on while I play so all my light source is from ambient (such as indirect light from far off windows) or DMD or mostly back box light.

One thing for me, I'm super anal about every little detail on my pins. I went to Allentown they had MMr directly under a fluorescent light and I could hardly see the ball for the glare. My playing environment is much better than a pinball show.

I use bent plastic glare guards on all my games save Acdc since I have a color DMD and the direct glare is not obvious but it does throw off ambient light.

I'm going to try the trick of looking with and without glass to see how much glare is obvious.

#14 3 years ago

I have either pdi or invisiglass on all my games. Pdi is better but the deals Jen has offered in the past (not the current one) on invisiglass were too sweet to pass up. Plus I pick up with cash in NJ. So some additional discounts were offered to me by Jen.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

I have either pdi or invisiglass on all my games. Pdi is better but the deals Jen has offered in the past (not the current one) on invisiglass were too sweet to pass up. Plus I pick up with cash in NJ. So some additional discounts were offered to me by Jen.

I've heard PDI was more durable (maybe) as invisiglass is more of a coating and PDI is more of the a whole glass treatment (not sure if that's true). Do you think one is better than the other as far as scratches or one is easier to take care of?

#16 3 years ago

Just got my first sheet of PDI. They pretty clearly advise against Windex which leads me to believe it's also coated.

Edit: first line says optically coated, so this.

20150827_205412.jpg

#17 3 years ago

The stuff is fantastic I have pdi on one game and jjp on another. Both are great pdi better. Both came with the machines when I bought them. That being said no matter how good they are there is no way I'd pay 300 too but a sheet of glass, it looks good but it's not 300 dollar good. That 600 games on location, or an em, those worth more to me than the glass.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've heard PDI was more durable (maybe) as invisiglass is more of a coating and PDI is more of the a whole glass treatment (not sure if that's true). Do you think one is better than the other as far as scratches or one is easier to take care of?

I'm real anal so I tend not to do anything to risk damage. So because I baby the stuff I really can't say. Sorry.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I play in the same situation, and I have to say an emphatic yes. It's a noticeable difference, and photos don't do it justice, unfortunately.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from hawksfan:

That being said no matter how good they are there is no way I'd pay 300 too but a sheet of glass, it looks good but it's not 300 dollar good.

Many other people share your opinion and I understand and respect that. Just like I can't justify paying $100 - $200 for a game specific mod that stays with the game when its sold.

For me, the PDI glass is such a significant upgrade that I can and do justify the price. My friends appreciate me spending the money also. lol

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

they are both coatings.

#23 3 years ago

[dangit hit quote instead of edit]

#24 3 years ago

+1 on both PDI and Invisiglass - major difference all around. Like others have said, once I put one in for the first time, I had to get it for all the games.

#25 3 years ago

I have PDI and Invisiglass in games side by side in my game room and there is no distingishable difference. Your experiance may differ with different room lighting. I have led high hats installed over my games and the reflections were very apparent with standard glass. The optical glass really does make it seem like the glass isn't there.

#26 3 years ago

What was some of their past deals? The current one (buy one and the 2nd is half off) seems pretty good.

#27 3 years ago

I think a past deal was buy 1 get one (bogo). Not positive though. I biught my 2 invisiglass used off a pinsider. Not a great discount but a lil for me.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

I wish I had some of that neat guy pdi glass.
When I buy it I'm going to do all 4 games at once to save on cost.

I've been thinking about it too so I wonder what kind of group buy price we could get....like a pallet load.

#29 3 years ago

I have (and love) PDI glass as well!

The only issue is that my wife has some strange OCD thing where she'll poke a finger down on it to see if there is any glass there at all! I'd say that's the only drawback to owning it... one fingerprint that always needs to be wiped off.

#30 3 years ago

The only light in my room when I play is from my machines, but reading above, it sounds like I would still benefit from optical glass at some point. When I clean my glass now, I use Liquid Glass. Is that acceptable on PDI glass? I have to clean a lot because there's a lot of dust.

Does PDI scratch the same as regular glass, not as easy, or more easy? Not sure how much of an issue this would be for me, but my Firepower's glass has a lot of scratches in it. It's the way I bought it so I don't know if it's from jump balls or something else though.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

The only light in my room when I play is from my machines, but reading above, it sounds like I would still benefit from optical glass at some point. When I clean my glass now, I use Liquid Glass. Is that acceptable on PDI glass? I have to clean a lot because there's a lot of dust.
Does PDI scratch the same as regular glass, not as easy, or more easy? Not sure how much of an issue this would be for me, but my Firepower's glass has a lot of scratches in it. It's the way I bought it so I don't know if it's from jump balls or something else though.

i would think PDI/Invisiglass it would probably scratch more easily, since the coating is an additional potential point of damage.

having said that, my pin room is pretty dark and i think my Invisiglass makes a big (positive) difference.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I've been thinking about it too so I wonder what kind of group buy price we could get....like a pallet load.

I bought 40 sheets from Pinball Decals and they were very fair with me. Each one of you will have to negotiate your own deal but Joey is great to deal with and a man of his word. There was a time delay in receiving it but that didn't bother me.

I mentioned before that I have some extra PDI Glass to sell and I can save you the shipping cost. I'm also selling some of my used PDI Glass in excellent condition for really a great savings. Single owner private collection. Stop by, look at it in my machines and slide out the pieces you want.

My two sheets of Invisaglass I will sell for $50 each.

CASH AND CARRY ONLY. - I'm in Colorado. Send me a private message for details. - No shipping

#34 3 years ago

My collection fluctuates around 30 machines, plus or minus. By selling the extra and some of my used PDI glass, I intend to make a small profit. Enough to pay for my shipping costs and maybe a little extra.

This way my friends and local pinheads will get free shipping and instant delivery as I pass the savings along.

That's a win for me and win for them, yes?

#35 3 years ago

***CASH AND CARRY ONLY. - I'm in Colorado. Send me a private message for details. - No shipping***

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

My collection fluctuates around 30 machines, plus or minus. By selling the extra and some of my used PDI glass, I intend to make a small profit. Enough to pay for my shipping costs and maybe a little extra.
This way my friends and local pinheads will get free shipping and instant delivery as I pass the savings along.
That's a win for me and win for them, yes?

You should try to squeak out a profit for your trouble, no? Help others but not for break even or a loss right?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

What was some of their past deals? The current one (buy one and the 2nd is half off) seems pretty good.

Ill see if i can find invoices.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I mentioned before that I have some extra PDI Glass to sell and I can save you the shipping cost. I'm also selling some of my used PDI Glass in excellent condition for really a great savings. Single owner private collection. Stop by, look at it in my machines and slide out the pieces you want.

CASH AND CARRY ONLY. - I'm in Colorado. Send me a private message for details. - No shipping

I just now sold 3 sheets of my used PDI glass to a Pinsider today. Right now this is a Pinside deal but I will soon be placing a Craigslist ad.

thanks

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes, it is.

But...I have also been in a room staring at a pin with PDI glass and one with regular glass and had people say that they didn't really see a difference. I actually thought that they were joking at first, and I started laughing, only to learn that they were serious.

I think the improvement is nothing less than remarkable myself.

I agree with Mr68 all the way on this one.

I'm one of those people who would upgrade to PDI glass over a color DMD!

#40 3 years ago

$2360 for 12 sheets. Less than 200 per sheet. Good deal?

#41 3 years ago

For PDI glass? Yes.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

Their old deal was buy 2 get 1 free, now it's buy 3 get 1 free. I'd be tempted at the old sale price to try 3 sheets, but since PDI is obviously better without a substantial discount over it I don't see the point.

I'm sure that price on 12 sheets is from the old Invisiglass deal, not PDI. 8 * $295 = $2360 + 4 sheets free. That would be an insane price on PDI. Does PDI ever go on sale? I vaguely remember one sale ever, and it was like widebody only or something.

#43 3 years ago

$2360 for 12 sheets. Less than 200 per sheet. Good deal?

Seems like a good price. If anyone in st louis wants to go in together maybe we could do a group buy. Id be in for 3 sheets.

#44 3 years ago

anyone interested in doing a bulk buy and having it shipped to expo for pick up there?

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

For PDI glass? Yes.

No. It was for invisiglass.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Does PDI ever go on sale?

Not that I've ever seen. But if you buy in quantity, Joey will make you a better deal.

No. It was for invisiglass.

Figures.

#47 3 years ago

I also bought a few sheets at JJP open house the other day to fill up my collection. I love Invisiglass so much but BE CAREFUL as it scratches much easier than regular glass. I have already scratches 2 sheets when removing them to work on the machine.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Except it doesn't eliminate backbox or DMD glare 100%. reduces it slightly and the taller you are, the better it works because of the angle you are at, but does not eliminate it.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

***CASH AND CARRY ONLY. - I'm in Colorado. Send me a private message for details. - No shipping***

Wish I was in practical driving distance to Kim! He's one of the "good guys" in pinball and consequently, someone I wouldn't hesitate to deal with again.

#50 3 years ago

TZ with PDI, expensive but wow is it worth it! Lol I had friend walk up to it and asked if I play it that way? What way I said, he said without glass haha! It's freaky cool!!

image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Macomb, MI
$ 6.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside