(Topic ID: 231046)

PCB - Repair - Burn through hole Tip122 - Any pics?

By Barakawins1

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Billc479
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2015-12-09 18.35.42 (resized).jpg
    2015-12-09 18.34.00 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

I have a system 11 Tip 122 that went up in flames. It created a dime size hole. I can get the game to work no problem. But what do you guys do to fill in the hole
    to make the board sturdy in the area? Anyone have some pics? I was thinking about putting tape on the solder side of the board, lay the board flat and flow some
    two part clear epoxy there and wait till it hardens. Any other ideas?

#2 4 months ago

I've never had an issue like that on any game I have or have worked on. I suppose that would be a great solution and you could then paint it green as well.

Just for giggles, here's some pictures of a TFTC I worked on. I did not do this repair I just happened to see it when I was working on other issues the game had. I think the hole was deliberately made to run the wiring through, but holy smokes did that entire transistor/resistor areas burn up! Interestingly, that part of the game worked fine.

I just love the bridge that was made to hold the new devices. People can be creative.

2015-12-09 18.34.00 (resized).jpg2015-12-09 18.35.42 (resized).jpg

#3 4 months ago

Dang!

#4 4 months ago

O.K., this may be a dumb question. Can someone explain to me what causes this in the first place?

#5 4 months ago

Going back to the "old Navy days", if we had a board we needed to repair, it went like this:
    Map where the runs are
    Excavate (remove) all burned portions of the board - don't want any carbon that can unexpectedly conduct
    Bevel the edges on both sides to allow the epoxy to have a better bite on the original circuit board
    Put a small piece of glass or something flat on board to make a stop - You could probably use a stiff tape
    Mix two part epoxy, grind up a same color matching trash circuit board and add to epoxy to get a matching color with original circuit board
    Fill in hole - make sure there are no air bubbles in the epoxy (Likely not needed in this case) Make sure board is completely level
    Grind up a same color matching trash circuit board and add to epoxy to get consistent color
    Allow epoxy to set (Bake if needed for extra hardness)
    Remove flat pieces
    Grind (sand) and polish area, making sure its flat
    Install eyelets and runs
    Install components, test circuit board

In this case, you will likely end up filling in the hole with epoxy and run wires to where you can meet back up with the runs on the circuit board.

Just worthless info - we used to have to do this on multilayered circuit boards - nothing like finding out you forgot to install a run two levels down after you're done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 27.99
    $ 29.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 16.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 21.00
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside