5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCF4DFEE-2369-436A-BEAB-C85BE6CC4EC0 (resized).jpeg
    E41AEF57-45ED-4C7F-AA07-49F2E6A3FCE4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Looking for some help on how to remove a circuit board from the standoffs, or the standoffs from the screws. I’ve pried as hard as I’m comfortable. The best I could do is having one standoff slide off a couple of threads. The standoff in the middle isn’t attached to anything, and I already removed the nuts on the corners.

Thanks,

Steve

E41AEF57-45ED-4C7F-AA07-49F2E6A3FCE4 (resized).jpegE41AEF57-45ED-4C7F-AA07-49F2E6A3FCE4 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Can you get at the back of what that board mounts to to turn the screws?

#3 5 years ago

I looked and don’t see how I can get behind it. This is on a Walking Dead machine. I read where some people snip off the top of the standoff.

#4 5 years ago

pinch the white circular parts together with needle nose pliers.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Astill:

pinch the white circular parts together with needle nose pliers.

Ya I was gonna say, if the threaded part isn’t in the hole you should be able to pinch, otherwise you’d have to spin the white part off the thread if it is that tight. Or does the white mount move freely but tight on the thread?

#6 5 years ago

Were there nuts on the tops of the posts? Or is it a push-on type? Like this for instance...

https://secure.microplastics.com/images/newsposts/111107021158.jpg

If so, those look "one-way." Great for fast assembly, not so good for removal. You could try freeze spray on the bolt? Any chance the bolt is only hand tight

#7 5 years ago

The standoff pops into the board hole and then they slide it over the screws. I tried turning them with no luck, so I went at the end with a set of small offset pliers. I beat the plastic up enough that it eventually gave up.

Next time I think I’ll sacrifice a hollow nut driver and machine the end off with two blades sticking out on opposite sides that will fit in the standoff’s slots. Maybe it will have enough bite to screw them off. There’s got to be a tool that will do this, because everyone has to have this problem.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

CCF4DFEE-2369-436A-BEAB-C85BE6CC4EC0 (resized).jpegCCF4DFEE-2369-436A-BEAB-C85BE6CC4EC0 (resized).jpeg
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerBall:

The standoff pops into the board hole and then they slide it over the screws. I tried turning them with no luck, so I went at the end with a set of small offset pliers. I beat the plastic up enough that it eventually gave up.
    Next time I think I’ll sacrifice a hollow nut driver and machine the end off with two blades sticking out on opposite sides that will fit in the standoff’s slots. Maybe it will have enough bite to screw them off. There’s got to be a tool that will do this, because everyone has to have this problem.
    Thanks for the ideas guys.
    [quoted image]

Some aftermarket boards I have installed came with that type of standoff. I think it is a fairly common standoff today. It sounds like the inside diameter of the hole in the standoff is too small. Any chance it could be reamed out with a drill bit next size up?

#9 5 years ago

Yep - I think Stern either used too big of a screw or too small of a standoff. The standoff should easily slide over the screw.

A bigger possibility (as cottonm4 mentions) is the mounting hole for the standoff is slightly too small and is compressing the standoff's locks. This seems to be the case in photo in post #7. The gap in the notch should be consistent from top to bottom yet you can see it getting narrower at the bottom where it goes through the PC board.

This style of standoff should be free-floating, you should be able to twist them without a lot of effort.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pcb-removal- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.