(Topic ID: 24899)

PC version of Pinball Arcade now on Steam Greenlight!

By jrolson

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by radix
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

It's on Steam Greenlight... You have to vote to get it put on Steam... so go vote!

"Many of you have been patiently (OK, not so patiently) awaiting the release of the PC version of the Pinball Arcade. We are excited to announce that it is finally ready! We would like to partner with the Steam online gaming platform to distribute the PC version, but we need your help. Steam uses a greenlight process to decide which games they distribute based on the number of votes a game receives. Please take a minute to cast a vote for the Pinball Arcade. As a small thank-you we've put together a new video that includes a glimpse of the upcoming Elvira and the Party Monsters table- check it out and cast a vote by following the link below!"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95907686

#2 11 years ago

The best sentence in that post is: "We are excited to announce that it is finally ready!"

#3 11 years ago

Does this support a rotated overhead view that could be used in a hyperpin cabinet?

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Does this support a rotated overhead view that could be used in a hyperpin cabinet?

Well they said a long time ago that it wouldn't be supported right away.

But that was many months ago and I don't know if they added support since then...

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrolson:

Well they said a long time ago that it wouldn't be supported right away.
    But that was many months ago and I don't know if they added support since then...

Oh well. Worthless without.

#6 11 years ago

Voted. Hey its a step closer to having it in a virtual pin. Hope that support comes

#7 11 years ago

If this gets made, are they going to start going after Visual Pinball?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from GListOverflow:

If this gets made, are they going to start going after Visual Pinball?

"going after"? Visual pinball isn't illegal.

#9 11 years ago

You try and help out and click yes, no go ... you need to set up a new account,
    I do that and get this:

Your account does not have sufficient privileges to perform this action. To access all features of Steam, simply purchase a game from the Steam store, redeem a Gift on Steam, complete a microtransaction, or activate a retail game on Steam.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

"going after"? Visual pinball isn't illegal.

Seems like with recreated tables using pinmame roms it is at least as copyright infringey as console game emulators, if not more so because of using actual table art etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for VP, just thinking that if someone comes out with an actual licensed PC product with the same tables, they might start looking funny at VP.

#11 11 years ago

From a Farsight Dev,

"I don't think we'll have full cabinet support (multiple displays, etc) done by the time it launches. As for simple portrait view, it may be in by the time we release. Not sure how long it'll take for Steam to greenlight it."

#12 11 years ago

I love the pinball arcade, but I do have one issue with it.. I have to re-buy if I want it on another system. I suppose this is no different from any other video game, but it would be nice if perhaps they cut you a break when you login (Oh, I see you purchased black knight for iphone. Well then, it will only cost you a dollar instead of $2 when you also purchase it for ps3).

I mean like I want to have it on my iphone, but sometimes it's nice to play it on my wife's ipad, so re-buy. Then it's on ps3, so I think "well, that's got even MORE resolution, and it's a big screen". Unless your a person who just doesn't have a console to play on, I can't imagine there being a big market for a PC version. Also I imagine once it's on the PC, it's probably going to get pirated (something you can't do on a console).

#13 11 years ago

Seems like with recreated tables using pinmame roms it is at least as copyright infringey as console game emulators, if not more so because of using actual table art etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for VP, just thinking that if someone comes out with an actual licensed PC product with the same tables, they might start looking funny at VP.

Visual pinball is a framework. It doesn't use mame or copyrighted artwork. Mame is an emulator it doesn't do anything on its own. Neither of these things are illegal. The roms you download angers into pinmame are freely available unlike most cartridge roms. So there's no issue there. The I ly issue is with the tables that some users make that do use scans of copyrighted art. But those are not issues with visual pinball. They are separate tables distributed by separate parties than the vp software authors.

Quoted from jrolson:

From a Farsight Dev,
    "I don't think we'll have full cabinet support (multiple displays, etc) done by the time it launches. As for simple portrait view, it may be in by the time we release. Not sure how long it'll take for Steam to greenlight it."

Ability to rotate 270 degrees and fill the screen with overhead table only view on one monitor is all that's really needed. I guess also cmd line to direct launch a table but that can possibly be worked around.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Visual pinball is a framework. It doesn't use mame or copyrighted artwork. Mame is an emulator it doesn't do anything on its own. Neither of these things are illegal. The roms you download angers into pinmame are freely available unlike most cartridge roms. So there's no issue there. The I ly issue is with the tables that some users make that do use scans of copyrighted art. But those are not issues with visual pinball. They are separate tables distributed by separate parties than the vp software authors.

Okay, so when I say VP, take that as shorthand for "the reproduction tables and roms that everyone uses VP for". Obviously the framework itself is not a problem, but I think we would be lying to ourselves to suggest that the main point of the framework is something other than playing real pinball tables on our computers. That's how the lawyers will see it, anyway.

1 week later
    #15 11 years ago

Really hope this makes it on Steam.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffy777:

Really hope this makes it on Steam.

I voted yes yesterday.

#17 11 years ago

Please vote peoples.

#18 11 years ago

Okay, so when I say VP, take that as shorthand for "the reproduction tables and roms that everyone uses VP for". Obviously the framework itself is not a problem, but I think we would be lying to ourselves to suggest that the main point of the framework is something other than playing real pinball tables on our computers. That's how the lawyers will see it, anyway.

Actually it's an open source project with a ton of non copyrighted tables. The lawyers aren't technical. When educated then they're done. If they want to go after individual table makers they could. But that's it. Going after vp itself saying it enables the making of infringing tables is like going after Microsoft for making an os that enables infringing material. And who has deeper pockets? Microsoft or a group of open source devs working in their spare time?

#19 11 years ago

I can't see this getting past 5%. The ratio of voters to wanna-be voters is crazy small. People don't like the fact that you have to sign up AND buy a game just to vote, and neither do I. Now I see why everybody is complaining about Steam.

#20 11 years ago

Thanks. Voted

3 weeks later
    #21 11 years ago

The game has still not passed greenlight so please vote if you have not yet. Also tight now The Pinball Arcade is sold for OSX via the Mac App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinball-arcade/id509675654?mt=12) for $9.99. I wounder if the Steam release will provide SteamPlay cross platform support for free? I would love that feature because I would find it kinda annoying to buy Mac, Windows and Android (already own) licenses for the same game through 3 different stores.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-version-of-pinball-arcade-now-on-steam-greenlight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.