(Topic ID: 250514)

PC Repair Recommendation? Any Geek Squad IT Pro's on Pinside?

By Wickerman2

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B71B83D8-F4BF-4769-BA74-B13791B9DF90 (resized).jpeg
    F9BC3EE7-5F2A-4D1D-972F-CDB7452585CB (resized).jpeg
    25E83FBA-CFDD-45CD-B9B6-0551D605A666 (resized).jpeg
    0B32D6B3-1BC2-48D3-ACF5-625FD7760E25 (resized).jpeg
    3975436F-179A-4690-A206-0D0BCCDA87AA (resized).jpeg
    622A936B-700B-4803-8080-F1F68BEE81AA (resized).jpeg
    16A02AF8-74CF-4F4E-96EC-F856669BCB18 (resized).jpeg
    7C3D39B6-0005-47B2-A2A0-16DA90953277 (resized).jpeg
    AC8D30D2-0AA7-468D-B8D2-1BDDB126FA88 (resized).jpeg
    C7AE72AD-1164-41BE-99A6-5A7A8F6AA196 (resized).jpeg
    AB71429A-B813-4FF3-9D87-C0983BA98555 (resized).jpeg
    E6DD0AB8-B2C0-438D-913A-077A8E80C6F6 (resized).jpeg
    CBA9856F-1748-47C5-9E03-1B3FAD34ED42 (resized).jpeg
    96C53D2E-DCE0-48B4-AC87-9C3E81C61568 (resized).jpeg
    8BAAE5D2-573C-483A-AF6A-CD2E693CD100 (resized).jpeg
    A398D63B-B527-470D-9485-52796DE2C350 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Newer PC as well, had it just a few months

What brand PC?
    Do you have an antivirus/firewall?
    Load Control Panel (you can use windows search to find it on your machine) and go to uninstall program, then click at the top of the date column to sort by the install date of the programs on the list. Were any programs listed as installed around when you started having this problem? If so what is it?

If your file system's screwed up, it can cause these issues if it's NOT an infection. You need to run the system file checker. There's a post on how to do it here:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-scan-windows-10-files-with-sfc-scannow.2498567/

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

It's a custom build ibuypower: System: Intel Core i7-8700K Six-Core Processor 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Max Turbo) | 16GB DDR4-2666MHz RAM | 1TB Solid state Drive | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Trend Micro Maximum Security plus standard Windows Security
    Latest program installs were Nvidia display drivers/updates, Firefox update, everything else was over a week before I saw any issues--those were the last Windows updates to visual C ++

Yeah, then I'd do the SFC next using the instructions at that link to see if your file system has been corrupted. If it has, that will fix it in most cases.

Also, what brand is the SSD? Some of the crap brands do not have a great record with length of uncorrupted service.

Try installing the free version of malwarebytes (downloaded direct from their site ONLY) and see if it finds anything. It often takes care of things antivirus misses.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

ADATA SU800 SSD

Ugh. ADATA has a really bad failure record. They are a bottom-tier producer scraping nand seconds from manufacturers to make their drives.

You have a recent backup, right? If not, make one.

I'm not sure if crystal disk info works with SSDs, but you basically need to check out that drive's SMART data ASAP.

If that comes up clear, then I'd try the malwarebytes, but I wouldn't stress that drive any more than you have to until you know it's not failing.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

got 1 "potentially unwanted" and I think that's a false positive:
    PUP.Optional.InstallCore, C:\USERS\JFK18\DOWNLOADS\PDFTOJPG_SETUP.MSI, No Action By User, [447], [528787],1.0.12269

That's a PDF to JPG converter that can serve adware or spy on you, making your system potentially unstable. "PUP" in malware-speak stands for "potentially unwanted program" which can be an actual program installed, or, in this case some plug-in or attachment to your browser, more likely.

I'd let it remove that, then reboot and see what you get.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Not sure how crystal operates will try and post pic[quoted image]

You don't want the performance, you want the health. The main screen of CrystalDiskInfo tells you all the hard drive health stats.

(you can get a clean screen grab by clicking on the window you want to capture, then hitting ALT-PrtSc then opening MSPaint (if you don't have something better like photoshop) and hitting CTRL-V to paste it in, then save it as a jpg)

The CrystalDiskInfo page you're looking for is this - you see it when it boots up:
    crystal-disk-info (resized).jpgcrystal-disk-info (resized).jpg

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

It tests automatically? Just by opening correct? Or do I need to select stuff and run it?

It's reading the drive's diagnostic block(s) when it opens. The drive keeps those stats all the time.

I don't see anything on that, but still suspicious of ADATA drives. Make SURE you keep a backup, because it could suddenly just stop completely.

Did you have MWB remove the PUP and reboot?

#25 4 years ago

When was the last antivirus definition installed? Was it around the time the issue started?

Also, when this happens, try ALT-Tab to window switch through the open windows instead and see if the "freeze" is actually a message/alert window that's active off-screen. That would LOOK like a freeze, but not actually be one.

Also, you might want to try making an additional user login for your machine then logging off your existing one completely and logging into the new one you created and seeing if the problem persists.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I'll have to figure out where I find that in the Trend Micro console

Also, I forgot about Event Viewer. You can check out the internal events Windows logs to see if it give you a clue about what's happening internally. Use windows search to find the event viewer on your machine then check the logs around the times you had freezes.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I can tell it's up to date, I don't know how to tell when they checked in the past. I think they check every few hours for updates. Not sure if there's a log of any sort.

Don't use Trend Micro, so I can't help there. Just trying to see if a definition or program update was installed around the time you noticed issues. Most decent AV have a log, but I don't know where that would be with TM.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

just tried--just shows Chrome, no other windows

What are the plug-ins installed on Chrome, and when were they installed?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Lots of info there...no idea what any of it means![quoted image][quoted image]

Forget the warnings, what are the ones flagged as "Error"?

#35 4 years ago

Is Chrome always open when this happens? (BTW, side point - Chrome and google products in general are bad. Google has gone full on evil with the spying in search of even more profits. Googleupdate and other modules behave like a virus now)

You're better off with Firefox and all Chrome, google earth, etc local to your machine uninstalled.

But that's a future concern.

#36 4 years ago

Those ESENT errors in the log may be problem. Here's a microsoft site discussion about how to get rid of the errors:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/event-viewer-erro-esent-455-since-update-1903/624a2548-06e5-47f4-bb99-76d6412895a0

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

No, I checked that yesterday with Firefox only still happens

The two largest number of actual errors are ESENT and App. The Esent link fix is above. For the app one, try the Win10 App troubleshooter:

Run the troubleshooter hit the Start button -> select Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then from the list select Windows Store apps > Run the troubleshooter

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Says "issue not present" in troubleshooter details

Then try the ESENT Error fix.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Did that, stuff is appearing in the folder they recommended creating so I think that worked.
    Taskbar still freezing unfortunately.

Did you make a completely new user account for that machine (option is on the control panel under "users"), reboot and then log into the new user instead and see if the issue remains?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yeah, tried that earlier, got it all setup and still did it on that account

What processes are listed in your task manager process listing?

#47 4 years ago

Also, does the problem happen if you boot into Win 10 Safe Mode (where it loads the bare minimum of drivers to function)?

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Tried this a few times. It does happen right at startup in safe mode, then it seems to be good for a while, then--this is slightly different than regular mode--taskbar freezes but I also can't get the mouse to click on anything in browser or file windows for 15-20 seconds, then that frees up and it's just the taskbar that stays frozen. It doesn't do that in normal boot.

Try turning off windows scratch disk telling it you have 0 disk available for memory cache. That way it will only use what's in RAM and eliminate the crappy ADATA if that's the core issue. You have to reboot after making the change, then go straight back into safe mode.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That was installed on 8/15 and I didn't notice these issues until this past week--not to say it couldn't still be the source. I would uninstall but you can only do that within 10 days of install so I think I'm stuck on that option.

Not sure where it is on Windows 10 (I hate Win 10, so we're all using Win 7 still), but basically you want to get to advanced system settings->performance->advanced->virtual memory and set the paging file to off/0 then reboot. This isn't a permanent situation, but it will remove most of the disk activity from the equation so after testing, you need to put it back.

Also after you did the ESENT fix, did new errors stop happening in the log? If you did the fix right there should be no more errors.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from midniight:

Control- alt- delete

CTRL-SHIFT-ESC is the fastest way to get to task manager.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Is there a way to confirm this? The status was good for the ssd on the diagnostic tool. I'm fine replacing it if I know it'll solve it but don't want to drop $100+ if I don't have to.

I think there's enough uncertainty with that last Win10 update causing similar issues for other users too not to call it the SSD just yet (although ADATA is notoriously crappy), but turning off the cache will go a long way toward diagnosing it.

Does your event log still show you're getting ESENT errors after you did the fix?

#64 4 years ago

I'd disable the virtual memory cache (set it to 0 and reboot) to eliminate drive caching from the equation and see if that eliminates it.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I think I found how to do it. Web makes it sound risky:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No that's not it. DO NOT DO THAT. That is specific to the DRIVE, not Windows10.

#69 4 years ago

Here's how to get to the screen in Win10:

https://www.trishtech.com/2014/11/disable-virtual-memory-in-windows-10/

Alternate way:
    Control Panel ->System and Security ->System ->Advanced system settings ->Performance ->Advanced ->Change
    (Set to "No Paging File" then SET button, then close and reboot)

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

This it?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes. Hit the "Change" button, then set to no paging file, then click "SET" then close the windows and reboot. Double check it's off when you complete the reboot.

Also have you deleted all the files in your Windows->Temp directory?

#74 4 years ago

I'd leave it for a bit and see if it happens again. Freeze at startup could just be a service not starting right.

Also, when were those NVidia drivers updated?

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just froze taskbar again

I'm out of obvious ideas. I doubt Geek Squad will do much better.

I'd delete your windows temp directory files
    Check the Nvidia drivers for an update (if nothing newer, delete and roll back to the version before)
    See if there's more info on the Win10 update that just happened causing the same issue with other users
    Replace the ADATA with something much better like a Samsung Pro.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Do I need to reinstall anything if I swap SSD? Never done that. Is that a major deal?
    Thanks for all the help.

You just need to use something like clonezilla to clone the existing SSD to a new one. Easy.

But I'd investigate the NVidia drivers first since that update was around when you noticed this.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I’m not positive when it started, I am guessing a week

Do you HAVE system restore points still on your machine? If you have them, you can go back to one before this started...

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Any downside to restoring to some random date a couple weeks ago (assuming that’s possible)?

Not really. I'd do that.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

so now I also need a time machine to go back and create a restore point

This is what I usually run into on other people's machines, you're not alone.

Did you try uninstalling and reverting the NVidia driver that was updated around the time your problems started?

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Its unusual for there to be no restore points. Is System Restore turned off?

It's really more common that you'd think. I've helped a LOT of people with PC issues here and more often than not there are zero restore points available.

However, he has a Carbonite backup service running according to the process list. I use Macrium locally, so I have no idea what features carbonite offers. Does that have incremental restores?

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

There was 1 from yesterday. I checked settings and it’s on automatic. I assumed that would do it more

Is your carbonite backup incremental for the whole disc image, or just important files? If you have an image in the cloud, you could restore back to that if it's before the point with issues.

Did you roll back the NVIDIA driver yet?

#96 4 years ago

But the driver that was re-installed was the version BEFORE you had problems, right, not the current version again?

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

The GeForce was one of the only things installed/updated around when issues started so I uninstalled it all together and rebooted

But when Win10 rebooted, it didn't install the NVidia drivers again automatically?

#101 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I know this is like a Stern guy preaching to a Jersey Jack, but buy a Mac and never look back.

As soon as Win7 support is sunsetted, our transition to Mac begins. Win10 isn't happening in my house. I have one laptop I use in the field with it, and I HATE it (plus all the spying telemetry all over the place you can't get rid of). The transition will suck, but long term is the only answer.

Also all decent PC antivirus is transitioning to the cloud, meaning your files will be sent to the cloud and many have rootkit VPN now or will have them soon, which is another do-not-want. So even if Windows was great, that antivirus change would push us to Macs sooner rather than later.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

So do that as last resort after I install new SSD and clone drive to it to see if it fixes issue?

Did you try uninstalling trend micro and rebooting mentioned a while back? AV definition chances can do weird things, too. You can re-install if it didn't fix it.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hoping the new SSD does it. Will install, clone drive to that, remove old drive, reboot, if I still have issue I guess I'll bust out the windows install disc!

I hope that takes care of it.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Have you looked at the manufacturers website to see if there's a new firmware available?
    As far as cloning goes, if you have a regular hard drive laying around that is equal size or larger then clone it to that and see if it still happens.
    No real point of blowing money on another SSD to find out it was always software related.

He has the current drive firmware.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Windows is old, hobbled and bloated.
    I'm telling people to get chromebooks and chromeboxes now.
    Way fewer problems.
    Way faster.
    Way more reliable.
    Way cheaper than apple.
    Same idea behind it.

No, no, no. Chrome is Google. Chromebook is Chrome. Google is bad. They've gone full-on evil in the last couple years in the search for ever more profits. Less Google in your life is better, not more. Google's drive for money has accelerated its job of knowing everything about you. Tracking everything you do (even when of questionable methods) online, reading all your gmail, listening to everything you say (if you have nest hub or newer nest thermostats, or god forbid google home), and if you have android, tracking who you call and where you go. And this despite what you may have told it not to do. There are loopholes on everything they do, privacy-wise.

If you're not into Win 10, your options are Mac first, then Linux distant second. Mac will be the most compatible and have the least amount of weird issues.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes to all of that but:
    Privacy is non existant today for most people, but I have nothing to hide.
    Each time I boot up my windows laptop I have to wait 20 mins for it to update before I can use it.
    Forced updates take my wifi printer offline and my other wireless devices periodically.
    My chromebook is always ready and is ready to use in 10 seconds or less.
    I find it more reliable in spite of the evil engine that runs it.
    When pressed for time I never boot up my windows laptop. It can take 40 mins just to get online if it has set for a couple weeks.
    I have at least 40 windows computers. I use them a lot, but at home I'm using my chromebook more and more.
    It's just less work.

It's not an issue of what you have to hide, it's an issue of do you want to be manipulated in ways you can't even understand. They don't hire scores of psychologists at Google to make your mental health better, they hire them to learn how to exploit people more effectively in their everyday lives.

Open a Macbook from hibernate and it's ready to go in seconds and you don't have a fraction of the privacy problems you do with a Chromebook. I understand the choice you made, but I would never, EVER recommend Chrome anything now that Google has taken a hard turn into evil territory.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Apple is almost as bad as Google. I bought a factory refurbished Dell Latitude laptop and run Linux Mint on it. If you're concerned about privacy... only use free and open source software, use a privacy centric browser like Brave, don't visit Google hosted sites, use OpenVPN, and blacklist the camera/microphone kernel modules.

Apple isn't even in the same UNIVERSE as Google for privacy abuses because their sole business is not marketing you as a product to advertisers. It's the reason Google and Facebook are taking such a hard turn into full-on evil. Money. The fines are tiny compared to the money they make, so they break the rules and pay the fines and their stock goes up anyway.

Brave is Chromium. Chrome is bad, as are all offshoots. Open source or not. Google is trying to do bad things with the Internet and privacy and Chrome/Chromium are part of the plan.

1 week later
    #144 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Hoping the new SSD does it. Will install, clone drive to that, remove old drive, reboot, if I still have issue I guess I'll bust out the windows install disc!

Did you resolve this problem?

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Well, during the troubleshooting I restarted it at various stages. After nothing seemed to work, I turned it off for a couple days. When I turned it back on the taskbar issue was gone. It hasn’t happened since. The event log shows some other errors now. The main odd behavior now is that it will never sleep no matter what I do to power save settings. Fan occasionally makes a weird noise as well.
    I got a new samsung ssd and plan on swapping them out, just waiting on a usb sata cable so I can clone drive then swap in same slot.

Did windows update download an update during that time? Given the problems other users were reporting similar to yours, they might have just pushed out a fix. You can look at the windows update history to see...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-repair-recommendation-any-geek-squad-it-pro-s-on-pinside?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.