(Topic ID: 250514)

PC Repair Recommendation? Any Geek Squad IT Pro's on Pinside?

By Wickerman2

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B71B83D8-F4BF-4769-BA74-B13791B9DF90 (resized).jpeg
    F9BC3EE7-5F2A-4D1D-972F-CDB7452585CB (resized).jpeg
    25E83FBA-CFDD-45CD-B9B6-0551D605A666 (resized).jpeg
    0B32D6B3-1BC2-48D3-ACF5-625FD7760E25 (resized).jpeg
    3975436F-179A-4690-A206-0D0BCCDA87AA (resized).jpeg
    622A936B-700B-4803-8080-F1F68BEE81AA (resized).jpeg
    16A02AF8-74CF-4F4E-96EC-F856669BCB18 (resized).jpeg
    7C3D39B6-0005-47B2-A2A0-16DA90953277 (resized).jpeg
    AC8D30D2-0AA7-468D-B8D2-1BDDB126FA88 (resized).jpeg
    C7AE72AD-1164-41BE-99A6-5A7A8F6AA196 (resized).jpeg
    AB71429A-B813-4FF3-9D87-C0983BA98555 (resized).jpeg
    E6DD0AB8-B2C0-438D-913A-077A8E80C6F6 (resized).jpeg
    CBA9856F-1748-47C5-9E03-1B3FAD34ED42 (resized).jpeg
    96C53D2E-DCE0-48B4-AC87-9C3E81C61568 (resized).jpeg
    8BAAE5D2-573C-483A-AF6A-CD2E693CD100 (resized).jpeg
    A398D63B-B527-470D-9485-52796DE2C350 (resized).jpeg
    There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, does the problem happen if you boot into Win 10 Safe Mode (where it loads the bare minimum of drivers to function)?

Tried this a few times. It does happen right at startup in safe mode, then it seems to be good for a while, then--this is slightly different than regular mode--taskbar freezes but I also can't get the mouse to click on anything in browser or file windows for 15-20 seconds, then that frees up and it's just the taskbar that stays frozen. It doesn't do that in normal boot.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Tried this a few times. It does happen right at startup in safe mode, then it seems to be good for a while, then--this is slightly different than regular mode--taskbar freezes but I also can't get the mouse to click on anything in browser or file windows for 15-20 seconds, then that frees up and it's just the taskbar that stays frozen. It doesn't do that in normal boot.

Try turning off windows scratch disk telling it you have 0 disk available for memory cache. That way it will only use what's in RAM and eliminate the crappy ADATA if that's the core issue. You have to reboot after making the change, then go straight back into safe mode.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Try turning off windows scratch disk telling it you have 0 disk available for memory cache

How is this done?

#54 4 years ago

Was there a recent Windows Update that was installed?

Here's an example of a recent update (KB4512941) that is causing some users to have unresponsive systems.

https://www.neowin.net/amp/some-windows-10-users-on-1903-are-facing-high-cpu-usage-after-latest-cumulative-updates/

That particular update sounds like it's supposed to be optional and some users (self-reporting via Reddit) claim that uninstalling the update solved the problem.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-uninstall-windows-10-updates-3682074/

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Was there a recent Windows Update that was installed?

Here's an example of a recent update (KB4512941) that is causing some users to have unresponsive systems.

https://www.neowin.net/amp/some-windows-10-users-on-1903-are-facing-high-cpu-usage-after-latest-cumulative-updates/

That particular update sounds like it's supposed to be optional and some users (self-reporting via Reddit) claim that uninstalling the update solved the problem.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-uninstall-windows-10-updates-3682074/

That was installed on 8/15 and I didn't notice these issues until this past week--not to say it couldn't still be the source. I would uninstall but you can only do that within 10 days of install so I think I'm stuck on that option.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That was installed on 8/15 and I didn't notice these issues until this past week--not to say it couldn't still be the source. I would uninstall but you can only do that within 10 days of install so I think I'm stuck on that option.

Not sure where it is on Windows 10 (I hate Win 10, so we're all using Win 7 still), but basically you want to get to advanced system settings->performance->advanced->virtual memory and set the paging file to off/0 then reboot. This isn't a permanent situation, but it will remove most of the disk activity from the equation so after testing, you need to put it back.

Also after you did the ESENT fix, did new errors stop happening in the log? If you did the fix right there should be no more errors.

#57 4 years ago

Control- alt- delete

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from midniight:

Control- alt- delete

CTRL-SHIFT-ESC is the fastest way to get to task manager.

#59 4 years ago

You have a hard disk error.

You got a low cost ssd with high fail rates

Quit chasing around software issues and replace it, and the sata cable.

I see it all the time.

Get a Samsung ssd or m.2

They have very few faults.

I think this will fix it.

Also look at the power supply.

Get a good one.

There is no cheap substitute for clean stable power.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

You have a hard disk error.

You got a low cost ssd with high fail rates

Quit chasing around software issues and replace it, and the sata cable.

I see it all the time.

Get a Samsung ssd or m.2

They have very few faults.

I think this will fix it.

Also look at the power supply.

Get a good one.

There is no cheap substitute for clean stable power.

Is there a way to confirm this? The status was good for the ssd on the diagnostic tool. I'm fine replacing it if I know it'll solve it but don't want to drop $100+ if I don't have to.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Is there a way to confirm this? The status was good for the ssd on the diagnostic tool. I'm fine replacing it if I know it'll solve it but don't want to drop $100+ if I don't have to.

I think there's enough uncertainty with that last Win10 update causing similar issues for other users too not to call it the SSD just yet (although ADATA is notoriously crappy), but turning off the cache will go a long way toward diagnosing it.

Does your event log still show you're getting ESENT errors after you did the fix?

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Does your event log still show you're getting ESENT errors after you did the fix?

0 ESENT errors in last 24 hours

#63 4 years ago
    7C3D39B6-0005-47B2-A2A0-16DA90953277 (resized).jpeg7C3D39B6-0005-47B2-A2A0-16DA90953277 (resized).jpeg
    #64 4 years ago

I'd disable the virtual memory cache (set it to 0 and reboot) to eliminate drive caching from the equation and see if that eliminates it.

#65 4 years ago

I think I found how to do it. Web makes it sound risky:

16A02AF8-74CF-4F4E-96EC-F856669BCB18 (resized).jpeg16A02AF8-74CF-4F4E-96EC-F856669BCB18 (resized).jpeg3975436F-179A-4690-A206-0D0BCCDA87AA (resized).jpeg3975436F-179A-4690-A206-0D0BCCDA87AA (resized).jpeg622A936B-700B-4803-8080-F1F68BEE81AA (resized).jpeg622A936B-700B-4803-8080-F1F68BEE81AA (resized).jpeg
    #66 4 years ago

So I would check the turn off write cache box, exit and then restart computer? In regular mode or safe mode?

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I think I found how to do it. Web makes it sound risky:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No that's not it. DO NOT DO THAT. That is specific to the DRIVE, not Windows10.

#68 4 years ago

got it

#69 4 years ago

Here's how to get to the screen in Win10:

https://www.trishtech.com/2014/11/disable-virtual-memory-in-windows-10/

Alternate way:
    Control Panel ->System and Security ->System ->Advanced system settings ->Performance ->Advanced ->Change
    (Set to "No Paging File" then SET button, then close and reboot)

#70 4 years ago

This it?

0B32D6B3-1BC2-48D3-ACF5-625FD7760E25 (resized).jpeg0B32D6B3-1BC2-48D3-ACF5-625FD7760E25 (resized).jpeg25E83FBA-CFDD-45CD-B9B6-0551D605A666 (resized).jpeg25E83FBA-CFDD-45CD-B9B6-0551D605A666 (resized).jpeg
    #71 4 years ago
    F9BC3EE7-5F2A-4D1D-972F-CDB7452585CB (resized).jpegF9BC3EE7-5F2A-4D1D-972F-CDB7452585CB (resized).jpeg
    #72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

This it?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes. Hit the "Change" button, then set to no paging file, then click "SET" then close the windows and reboot. Double check it's off when you complete the reboot.

Also have you deleted all the files in your Windows->Temp directory?

#73 4 years ago

I've got it at zero--confirmed after startup. At restart taskbar was frozen and I couldn't click in any windows. Task Mgr then cancel got it back to normal.

Safe to leave it at Zero for a bit and see if it freezes again or does the freeze at startup prove anything?

#74 4 years ago

I'd leave it for a bit and see if it happens again. Freeze at startup could just be a service not starting right.

Also, when were those NVidia drivers updated?

#75 4 years ago

Just froze taskbar again

#76 4 years ago

There was an NVIDIA GeForce update on the 27th which was somewhere near when I noticed issues

It actually updated again yesterday as well

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just froze taskbar again

I'm out of obvious ideas. I doubt Geek Squad will do much better.

I'd delete your windows temp directory files
    Check the Nvidia drivers for an update (if nothing newer, delete and roll back to the version before)
    See if there's more info on the Win10 update that just happened causing the same issue with other users
    Replace the ADATA with something much better like a Samsung Pro.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Replace the ADATA with something much better like a Samsung Pro.

Do I need to reinstall anything if I swap SSD? Never done that. Is that a major deal?

Thanks for all the help.

#79 4 years ago

Guys, Personally I would remove the Trend Micro, I haven't had good luck lately with 3rd party anti-virus software running in Windows 10, the one that's built in to the operating system seems to interfere with the 3rd party anti-virus solutions and in my experience has caused a lot of issues with the operating system doing strange things. I would give it a go and remove the Trend and see how it performs with the native Windows 10 ant-virus running. Just my opinion for what it's worth

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Do I need to reinstall anything if I swap SSD? Never done that. Is that a major deal?
    Thanks for all the help.

You just need to use something like clonezilla to clone the existing SSD to a new one. Easy.

But I'd investigate the NVidia drivers first since that update was around when you noticed this.

#81 4 years ago

None of this matters, what changed? Single out any changes made the exact day you started having issues. Taking a shotgun approach is a waste of time. Restore your system using System Restore to a day before you started having issues. Generally previous restore points are automatically taken by Windows Installer and Windows Update.

#82 4 years ago

I’m not positive when it started, I am guessing a week

#83 4 years ago

Any downside to restoring to some random date a couple weeks ago (assuming that’s possible)?

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I’m not positive when it started, I am guessing a week

Do you HAVE system restore points still on your machine? If you have them, you can go back to one before this started...

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Any downside to restoring to some random date a couple weeks ago (assuming that’s possible)?

Not really. I'd do that.

#86 4 years ago

No downside, if you made any changes to system preferences or installed programs they will be reverted. Your Windows profile and files will not be affected. If you did make some changes of this kind, try to single out which one cause the issue. But I would still start with System Restore.

#87 4 years ago

Well, the only restore point that shows up is yesterday....

#88 4 years ago

so now I also need a time machine to go back and create a restore point

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

so now I also need a time machine to go back and create a restore point

This is what I usually run into on other people's machines, you're not alone.

Did you try uninstalling and reverting the NVidia driver that was updated around the time your problems started?

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you try uninstalling and reverting the NVidia driver that was updated around the time your problems started?

Have not done that yet

#91 4 years ago

It's unusual for there to be no restore points. Is System Restore turned off?

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Its unusual for there to be no restore points. Is System Restore turned off?

It's really more common that you'd think. I've helped a LOT of people with PC issues here and more often than not there are zero restore points available.

However, he has a Carbonite backup service running according to the process list. I use Macrium locally, so I have no idea what features carbonite offers. Does that have incremental restores?

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

s unusual for there to be no restore points. Is System Restore turned off?

There was 1 from yesterday. I checked settings and it’s on automatic. I assumed that would do it more

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

There was 1 from yesterday. I checked settings and it’s on automatic. I assumed that would do it more

Is your carbonite backup incremental for the whole disc image, or just important files? If you have an image in the cloud, you could restore back to that if it's before the point with issues.

Did you roll back the NVIDIA driver yet?

#95 4 years ago

Uninstalled the nvidia geforce and restarted. Still had issues on and off so no change.

Carbonite is just files, no image as far as I know, will double check but I think that’s another product or something you proactively have to do

#96 4 years ago

But the driver that was re-installed was the version BEFORE you had problems, right, not the current version again?

#97 4 years ago

I know this is like a Stern guy preaching to a Jersey Jack, but buy a Mac and never look back.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

driver that was re-installed was the version BEFORE you had problems,

The GeForce was one of the only things installed/updated around when issues started so I uninstalled it all together and rebooted

#99 4 years ago

My kid’s got a Mac and half the time I want to take a hammer to that as well. They do seem less troublesome though

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

The GeForce was one of the only things installed/updated around when issues started so I uninstalled it all together and rebooted

But when Win10 rebooted, it didn't install the NVidia drivers again automatically?

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-repair-recommendation-any-geek-squad-it-pro-s-on-pinside/page/2?hl=midniight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.