5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Does somebody has experience with the PC power support unit inside a WOZ, Model SPI ATX-400PN?

The PC in mine WOZ does not boot anymore. Both fans of the power supply and the Intel CPU on the motherboard are dead. In case I push the reset buton, both fans are starting to run for a very short moment. Then both stop and start to run again for a very short moment. And so on.

I've disconnected the power supply and measured the outputs. All signals showing 0V. Even after having connected the power_on signal with the green cable on the ATX power connector to ground.
    It seems to me the power support unit is broken, though the signs of some life after pressing the reset button is a bit strange.

Does somebody have experience with this?
    Where can I buy this PSU, model SPI ATX-400PN? The are not on stock with JJP.

I notified JIP a few easy ago. This customer service seems a bit show.

Thanks, Erik

#2 5 years ago

PSU can go bad but are pretty easy to replace. Just search that model. Here I see ones at Amazon and Newegg for about $50. I don't know what the cost is there but they should be easy to find.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from ELA:

Where can I buy this PSU, model SPI ATX-400PN?

Search Google for - SPI ATX-400PN lots of hits.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

I know nothing about this game but you should be able to buy a standard ATX computer power supply from a local electronic store and use that to test. Or pull one from an old computer (as long as its similar wattage)

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from ELA:

Does somebody has experience with the PC power support unit inside a WOZ, Model SPI ATX-400PN?
    The PC in mine WOZ does not boot anymore. Both fans of the power supply and the Intel CPU on the motherboard are dead. In case I push the reset buton, both fans are starting to run for a very short moment. Then both stop and start to run again for a very short moment. And so on.
    I've disconnected the power supply and measured the outputs. All signals showing 0V. Even after having connected the power_on signal with the green cable on the ATX power connector to ground.
    It seems to me the power support unit is broken, though the signs of some life after pressing the reset button is a bit strange.
    Does somebody have experience with this?
    Where can I buy this PSU, model SPI ATX-400PN? The are not on stock with JJP.
    I notified JIP a few easy ago. This customer service seems a bit show.
    Thanks, Erik

You'll have to change the connectors on a stock one. If I remember right one of the connectors is different than a stock one.

#6 5 years ago

This is indeed one of the issues. Stock PSUs have different connectors, at least on the power cord.
    I'll go to the local computer store with my WOZ PSU and check out. Swapping a few connectors is not a problem. Hopefully any 400W PSU will do.

Hopefully the motherboard is still working.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from ELA:

This is indeed one of the issues. Stock PSUs have different connectors, at least on the power cord.
    I'll go to the local computer store with my WOZ PSU and check out. Swapping a few connectors is not a problem. Hopefully any 400W PSU will do.
    Hopefully the motherboard is still working.

This is where I got my spare:
    https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-FS400PN

$40 + shipping.

2 weeks later
    #8 5 years ago

In the meantime I've received the SPI ATX-400PN PSU. Unfortunately I need to swap 2 SATA connectors for a 4 and a 6 pin PCI-E connectors.
    Ordered these at AliExpress. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing and nothing else is broken. Just to be sure I've bought a motherboard as well. They are still for sale and not so expensive. Anyway they are sold out at JJP.

Btw I did not get any response from JJP on my service ticket.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from ELA:

In the meantime I've received the SPI ATX-400PN PSU. Unfortunately I need to swap 2 SATA connectors for a 4 and a 6 pin PCI-E connectors.
    Ordered these at AliExpress. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing and nothing else is broken. Just to be sure I've bought a motherboard as well. They are still for sale and not so expensive. Anyway they are sold out at JJP.
    Btw I did not get any response from JJP on my service ticket.

You can also use the same MSI motherboard in The Hobbit instead and get a slight bump in speed. But it has to be the EXACT model. There's one that similar, but slightly different, and it doesn't work. I found this out when I made the motherboard change to get around the WoZ lockup problem JJP didn't fix for like 2 years. Swapping the motherboard with the model from The Hobbit took care of it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-power-support-in-woz-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.