screenshot2 (resized).png
screenshot11 (resized).png
screenshot53 (resized).png
train_siege.jpg
Launchbox N64 (resized).png
lb arcade (resized).jpg
Launchbox DOS (resized).png
lb windows (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I’ve always been into PC games more than console games.

I’m buying a new pc with the latest graphics card and high performance gaming monitor.

I’m looking for some recommendations in FPS, RTS, RPG and rogue like games as well as any other great strategy games or story driven action games.

I’ve never got into the third person perspective or multiplayer games so much.

Some of my favorite games old school was MOO, Warcraft, and Doom but have not played much of the games that were released in the past several years.

I’m typically buying on Steam but would be open to other recommendations for where to buy games.

#2 6 years ago

I’m looking to play the classic games like Starcraft, Baldurs Gate etc but also looking for a game that I can push with my new PC which would be classified as mid-high end PC so that I can see what the best looking game is like currently (but also must be a great playing game).

#6 6 years ago

WOW is a MMO correct, does that mean a subscription every month? Also is it possible to just play alone, I mean that I’m not able to play constantly with other people so what happens if I just want to drop in and out of the game? I like typically play just a 30 minutes and check out, I don’t want to be tied down to long sessions.

I’ve never played any MMO.

#8 6 years ago

I bought Darkest Dungeon and 'Faster than Light’ which seem like cool games sometimes I prefer turn based games to button mashing real time games. Have not played these yet. I know they are not pushing the PC hardware type games.

#9 6 years ago

I have the classics like Portal HL2 etc.. have played some back in the day but didn’t get too far, I may have PC game ADD where I typically play a bit but hardly get deep into a game except maybe Diablo and Masters of Orion which I played to death.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Heya Tau, Götz here.
I would urge you to try World of Tanks. Us guys that are not in our twenties anymore get destroyed playing FPS vs the kids.
World of Tanks is a game of strategy and requires logic. I have played around 8000 games so far. Every win I had I knew why I won, every Los I was able to analyze and learn from.
The first few hundred games can be somewhat overwhelming and you profit greatly fun studying the game by playing info platoons with veterans or watching YouTube videos.
I used to be one of the first and most successful European Quake players in the late 90s.
World of Tanks is my new home
Contact me should you have questions. Or watch videos by a guy called QuickyBaby on YouTube

Thanks.

Does that game have good single player game option? I’m not sure I can play against real opponents initially.

Also does it have a handicap system so a poor player can stand a chance or is there a tier system so I could play against poor players initially?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

So many excellent recomendations.
I am going to get on world of tanks.
On wow.
I played many many hours. In my opinion. Now it is better than almost ever. Just integrated and seamless.
Always another carrot for me to try and get. I can sink a lot of time or very little. I kind of enjoy both.
Monthly fee yes and I used to hate those. Wow is the exception. To me.
I have had some memorable video game memories in this crazy game. Epic game.
I play a warlock. (Videodrome)

I’m not interested in WoW at this time. But have a few questions, do they allow players to kill other players? Also what happens to your character when you die?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Assuming you haven’t already played them,
You gotta play Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (plus episodes 1 and 2). “Oldies” but goodies. Half-Life actually has a fan produced fan remake called “Black Mesa” it’s fantastic and looks great.
While you’re at it, play Portal and Portal 2, again, if you already haven’t. Amazing games, and even more amazing once you realize Half-Life and Portal take place concurrently in the same universe. Way cool.
Also, the Bioshock trilogy is life changing. Again, assuming you’ve been under a rock all these years and haven’t played them. They remastered the 3 games, and you can get them for free once you own the non-remastered games.

Haven’t played them all the way, like I said maybe ADD but I’ll play a few levels and not get to the entire game.

Speaking of old school games any of you old enough to have played Ultima Underworld it was at or around the same time as Doom but is a first person RPG, you needed to eat food etc.. was great fun but the not the graphics anymore since it was 25 years ago.

I believe there are some new roguelike games like this out now.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve been thinking about getting a small laptop for retro DOSBox gaming.
Has anyone here tried the GPD Win? It looks cool but I’m still on the fence. I don’t need anything top of the line, just mostly emulation

Great old game was called Empire II or Empire Delux which came out before Civ. It was similar build units but less about city building more just exploring and fighting with turn based. It’s still able to be played today.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Oh jeez... I can understand not playing through Half-Life (2), but you REALLY should try to play through at least Bioshock 1 and 3. Skip 2 if you have to. The twists and turns those games put you through are incredible. The story is AAA movie worthy.
Wolfenstein: The New Order was a really great experience too. It should give your GPU a bit of an opportunity to stretch its legs as well.

Will check out New Order, I like the story cut scenes, is Mass Effect any good?

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Speaking of PC games, if anybody owns a 1080 or 1080 ti and would like a free copy of Destiny 2 shoot me a PM. I already bought it so can’t use it.
Please note this came with my new 1080 ti, and for the code to work you need to go through the Nvidia app, which will verify you have a 1080. If you don’t have the card please don’t request the code as it won’t work and then nobody gets to use it

that's the GPU that I got 1080ti probably overkill for too much money but maybe I can keep the PC for a longer time, I'm getting a copy of Destiny 2 with the PC also. What's the verdict? Do I need to play Destiny 1 first?

#59 6 years ago

Hope to get my pc soon, I’m waiting for Steam sale at the end of the month. Black Friday Steam had a bunch on sale so I bought XCom 2, Darkest Dungeon, Xenonauts, Spelunky and a few other games.

I’m playing Limbo which is good for me since I can play 5-10 minuets at a time. Amazing there are videos on YouTube where people play entire game without dying.

#63 6 years ago

Just picked up Doom for $15 on Steam.

2 weeks later
#67 6 years ago

Big sale on Steam now, I got 10 games for the price of one typical AAA new release game.

I got a good number of games like Borderlands 2 ($5) Wolfenstein TNO ($9.99) plus a few others.

My pc came, but my usb WiFi didn’t work because I don’t have the drivers (can’t find) so I ordered a new one should be here on Sunday? It’s so funny when I got my first PC dial up modems were not even a thing (this was in 1992-3) and now it’s unthinkable to be without internet access.

I has a few older games on CD to try out. Starcraft 2 won’t even load without internet and Crysis looks great on my PC all max settings it’s not a system killer anymore. But I’m finding that I’m not a great player, don’t know if it’s just that I’m being old because it’s a lot of buttons that I need to learn. Or if it’s the open world that I’m not used to. I like games with more clear directions such as go this way (like Doom and Quake) from the old days. I’m thinking maybe open world may not be my thing.

I probably prefer more strategy games, got XCOM2 and Offworld Trading. Also the South Park RPG Stick of Truth looks great cant beat the price $7.49 and I picked up some old RPG Planscape remastered ($6.79) never played it before and I’m a huge old school D&D player.

1 month later
#85 6 years ago

Update, have been playing some Darkest Dungeon however need to watch some tutorials regarding the character abilities.

For a real easy casual game I’ve been playing Kingdom Rush almost done with it have like 70% complete but two or three tough levels and the bonus levels to go.

Loaded Doom 3 which had played some before and it’s fun, the new Doom also is very great looking but I’ve not put in much time but there is a ton of bonus content levels, I just need more skill with FPS mechanics.

I re-installed Starcraft 2 but there’s way too much base management so I’m not really going to bother with that.

Tried Crysis but I’m not a fan of open world rather have Doom like corridors.

Basically think I’m going to concentrate on RPG and Rogue like games as well as tower defense which are something like RTS without all the resource gathering. Also will try to get better at Doom 3, Doom and Half-life type games.

Kerbel looks fun as well, I was put off by the cartoon type aspect but will give it a try when it goes on sale.

#87 6 years ago

Haven’t seen that but it looks great.

#89 6 years ago

That’s on my list I’m waiting for sale.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-games-discussion-and-recommendations?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.