screenshot2 (resized).png
screenshot11 (resized).png
screenshot53 (resized).png
train_siege.jpg
Launchbox N64 (resized).png
lb arcade (resized).jpg
Launchbox DOS (resized).png
lb windows (resized).jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I’ve always been into PC games more than console games.

I’m buying a new pc with the latest graphics card and high performance gaming monitor.

I’m looking for some recommendations in FPS, RTS, RPG and rogue like games as well as any other great strategy games or story driven action games.

I’ve never got into the third person perspective or multiplayer games so much.

Some of my favorite games old school was MOO, Warcraft, and Doom but have not played much of the games that were released in the past several years.

I’m typically buying on Steam but would be open to other recommendations for where to buy games.

#2 6 years ago

I’m looking to play the classic games like Starcraft, Baldurs Gate etc but also looking for a game that I can push with my new PC which would be classified as mid-high end PC so that I can see what the best looking game is like currently (but also must be a great playing game).

#3 6 years ago

I'm rehooked on WoW at the moment, but have really enjoyed Overwatch, especially with the added arcade modes and characters available. I believe Destiny 2 will be the next game I try.

#4 6 years ago

I got sucked back into the world of Warcraft.

It is an amazing game. The best game probably.

In my opinion. And many others.

There is a reason. It's reward and quest structure. It is unmatched.

A beautiful world too. Very immersive. I have been playing since the very begining.

This is my PC recommendation. Be careful though. It may try to suck your time away.

Correction, it WILL try to suck your time away.

You might watch that time go with a smile. I've tried other games. Here and there. Warcraft is the king, to me.

Honorable mentions to the bioshock the first one. (Underwater)

Also half life the series. There is a free demo on steam called lost coast. It showcases some nice graphics, still.

I am going to upgrade my PC in the next year or so. Everything will be replaced except my monitor. It's almost time.

#5 6 years ago

New Doom game is great. Talos Principle is a cool puzzle type of game but with a solid premise and story. Overwatch was just OK to me. Destiny 2 is fun if you have friends to play with.

Not really fitting your likes, but Rocket League is awesome. I don’t care for soccer, but the game is great. Easy to pick up, but the skill cap is huge. Cross platform matching and e sports will keep the community active for a long time. You will want to play with a controller. Xbox controller is plug and play with PC.

#6 6 years ago

WOW is a MMO correct, does that mean a subscription every month? Also is it possible to just play alone, I mean that I’m not able to play constantly with other people so what happens if I just want to drop in and out of the game? I like typically play just a 30 minutes and check out, I don’t want to be tied down to long sessions.

I’ve never played any MMO.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

WOW is a MMO correct, does that mean a subscription every month? Also is it possible to just play alone, I mean that I’m not able to play constantly with other people so what happens if I just want to drop in and out of the game? I like typically play just a 30 minutes and check out, I don’t want to be tied down to long sessions.
I’ve never played any MMO.

Don’t do it. Playing 30 min and checking out is the exact opposite of this game. It was good 10 years ago when I was in college / didn’t have a family. Not so much these days. I would be lying if I said playing literally all night when the game first came out wasn’t fun though.

And yes, 15 or so bucks a month with cheaper per month options if you buy multiple months at once.

#8 6 years ago

I bought Darkest Dungeon and 'Faster than Light’ which seem like cool games sometimes I prefer turn based games to button mashing real time games. Have not played these yet. I know they are not pushing the PC hardware type games.

#9 6 years ago

I have the classics like Portal HL2 etc.. have played some back in the day but didn’t get too far, I may have PC game ADD where I typically play a bit but hardly get deep into a game except maybe Diablo and Masters of Orion which I played to death.

#10 6 years ago

Heya Rai, Götz here.

I would urge you to try World of Tanks. Us guys that are not in our twenties anymore get destroyed playing FPS vs the kids.

World of Tanks is a game of strategy and requires logic. I have played around 8000 games so far. Every win I had I knew why I won, every loss I was able to analyze and learn from.

The first few hundred games can be somewhat overwhelming and you profit greatly from studying the game by playing in platoons with veterans or watching YouTube videos.

I used to be one of the first and most successful European Quake players in the late 90s.
World of Tanks is my new home

Contact me should you have questions. Or watch videos by a guy called QuickyBaby on YouTube

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Heya Tau, Götz here.
I would urge you to try World of Tanks. Us guys that are not in our twenties anymore get destroyed playing FPS vs the kids.
World of Tanks is a game of strategy and requires logic. I have played around 8000 games so far. Every win I had I knew why I won, every Los I was able to analyze and learn from.
The first few hundred games can be somewhat overwhelming and you profit greatly fun studying the game by playing info platoons with veterans or watching YouTube videos.
I used to be one of the first and most successful European Quake players in the late 90s.
World of Tanks is my new home
Contact me should you have questions. Or watch videos by a guy called QuickyBaby on YouTube

Thanks.

Does that game have good single player game option? I’m not sure I can play against real opponents initially.

Also does it have a handicap system so a poor player can stand a chance or is there a tier system so I could play against poor players initially?

#12 6 years ago

The other that blew me away the past 15 years was Witcher 3
Must have title

World of Tanks has a 10 tier system
You are always matched to your tier
Pick a tier 1 tank and you will face other newbies

#13 6 years ago

You mentioned Doom so there is hope

I have always been an FPS guy. There are some other types I do like to play, but generally not much in the way of MMO and such. Also, I have been gravitating toward "old school" stuff, or maybe what you might call retro. Somewhere along the way these games seemed to slip for me with the newer versions. Sure they look great, but I like to play games and stuff, not watch cutscenes over and over.

Anyway, if you haven't checked it out, GOG is absolutely awesome for the old stuff. You can fill up with lots of great games there for great prices, and they are all de-copy protected and set up to run on modern systems, even the really old stuff. Like Doom. You know, DOOM - from 1993! I got on their mailing list and I just wait for the sales to come around, then I buy what I want on sale. Then you are getting great games for absurdly low prices, we are talking a few dollars here. I just bought on sale the entire Leisure Suit Larry collection (3 games) for $5.47 total.

Here is some of the great stuff I have bought from GOG:

Doom and Doom II (DOS old school)

Quake, Quake II, Quake III

Duke Nukem

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Serious Sam First and Second Encounters

Aliens VS Predator

Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2004

You can spend a lot of time shooting up stuff with those, what great times.

On Steam I have:

Bulletstorm

Duke Nukem Forever

Half Life (best game ever hands down), Half 2 and all the associated episodes

Unreal Tournament 3

Other games I like:

Far Cry, Far Cry 2

Soldier of Fortune I and II

Bioshock

Just to prove I don't have a one track mind, I have a few non FPS that I like.

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Goat Simulator

Train Simulator

I guess the newest game I have is Grand Theft Auto 5 although that is on my Xbox. But the PC game should be the same. Loads of fun.

I also like flight simulators but don't have time nowadays to get into one of these and spend the time to figure it all out.

#14 6 years ago

Hearthstone!!!!!

#15 6 years ago

Bioshock Infinite. It's a well paced and beautiful game that will test your graphics capabilities for sure. Same goes for Dishonored 1 and 2.

I'd also recommend Bioshock 1, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and maybe Fallout 4, though #4 gets tedious with crafting.

I've never played it, but Overwatch gets a lot of love.

#16 6 years ago

So many excellent recomendations.

I am going to get on world of tanks.

On wow.

I played many many hours. In my opinion. Now it is better than almost ever. Just integrated and seamless.

Always another carrot for me to try and get. I can sink a lot of time or very little. I kind of enjoy both.

Monthly fee yes and I used to hate those. Wow is the exception. To me.

I have had some memorable video game memories in this crazy game. Epic game.

I play a warlock. (Videodrome)

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

You mentioned Doom so there is hope
I have always been an FPS guy. There are some other types I do like to play, but generally not much in the way of MMO and such. Also, I have been gravitating toward "old school" stuff, or maybe what you might call retro. Somewhere along the way these games seemed to slip for me with the newer versions. Sure they look great, but I like to play games and stuff, not watch cutscenes over and over.
Anyway, if you haven't checked it out, GOG is absolutely awesome for the old stuff. You can fill up with lots of great games there for great prices, and they are all de-copy protected and set up to run on modern systems, even the really old stuff. Like Doom. You know, DOOM - from 1993! I got on their mailing list and I just wait for the sales to come around, then I buy what I want on sale. Then you are getting great games for absurdly low prices, we are talking a few dollars here. I just bought on sale the entire Leisure Suit Larry collection (3 games) for $5.47 total.
Here is some of the great stuff I have bought from GOG:
Doom and Doom II (DOS old school)
Quake, Quake II, Quake III
Duke Nukem
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Serious Sam First and Second Encounters
Aliens VS Predator
Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2004
You can spend a lot of time shooting up stuff with those, what great times.
On Steam I have:
Bulletstorm
Duke Nukem Forever
Half Life (best game ever hands down), Half 2 and all the associated episodes
Unreal Tournament 3
Other games I like:
Far Cry, Far Cry 2
Soldier of Fortune I and II
Bioshock
Just to prove I don't have a one track mind, I have a few non FPS that I like.
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Goat Simulator
Train Simulator
I guess the newest game I have is Grand Theft Auto 5 although that is on my Xbox. But the PC game should be the same. Loads of fun.
I also like flight simulators but don't have time nowadays to get into one of these and spend the time to figure it all out.

Damn I miss Return to Castle Wolfensteins multiplayer heyday. What a fun game!

#18 6 years ago

If you like turn based games, check out the X-Com series. They are a lot of fun.

#20 6 years ago

Assuming you haven’t already played them,

You gotta play Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (plus episodes 1 and 2). “Oldies” but goodies. Half-Life actually has a fan produced fan remake called “Black Mesa” it’s fantastic and looks great.

While you’re at it, play Portal and Portal 2, again, if you already haven’t. Amazing games, and even more amazing once you realize Half-Life and Portal take place concurrently in the same universe. Way cool.

Also, the Bioshock trilogy is life changing. Again, assuming you’ve been under a rock all these years and haven’t played them. They remastered the 3 games, and you can get them for free once you own the non-remastered games.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Monthly fee yes and I used to hate those

World of Tanks is free

You can get a premium account in order to grind credits and experience faster. But absolutely not needed in order to have an absolute BLAST

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

So many excellent recomendations.
I am going to get on world of tanks.
On wow.
I played many many hours. In my opinion. Now it is better than almost ever. Just integrated and seamless.
Always another carrot for me to try and get. I can sink a lot of time or very little. I kind of enjoy both.
Monthly fee yes and I used to hate those. Wow is the exception. To me.
I have had some memorable video game memories in this crazy game. Epic game.
I play a warlock. (Videodrome)

I’m not interested in WoW at this time. But have a few questions, do they allow players to kill other players? Also what happens to your character when you die?

#23 6 years ago

I’ve been thinking about getting a small laptop for retro DOSBox gaming.

Has anyone here tried the GPD Win? It looks cool but I’m still on the fence. I don’t need anything top of the line, just mostly emulation

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Assuming you haven’t already played them,
You gotta play Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (plus episodes 1 and 2). “Oldies” but goodies. Half-Life actually has a fan produced fan remake called “Black Mesa” it’s fantastic and looks great.
While you’re at it, play Portal and Portal 2, again, if you already haven’t. Amazing games, and even more amazing once you realize Half-Life and Portal take place concurrently in the same universe. Way cool.
Also, the Bioshock trilogy is life changing. Again, assuming you’ve been under a rock all these years and haven’t played them. They remastered the 3 games, and you can get them for free once you own the non-remastered games.

Haven’t played them all the way, like I said maybe ADD but I’ll play a few levels and not get to the entire game.

Speaking of old school games any of you old enough to have played Ultima Underworld it was at or around the same time as Doom but is a first person RPG, you needed to eat food etc.. was great fun but the not the graphics anymore since it was 25 years ago.

I believe there are some new roguelike games like this out now.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve been thinking about getting a small laptop for retro DOSBox gaming.
Has anyone here tried the GPD Win? It looks cool but I’m still on the fence. I don’t need anything top of the line, just mostly emulation

Great old game was called Empire II or Empire Delux which came out before Civ. It was similar build units but less about city building more just exploring and fighting with turn based. It’s still able to be played today.

#26 6 years ago

PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds if you want an experience like nothing you've ever had before.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

World of Tanks is free
You can get a premium account in order to grind credits and experience faster. But absolutely not needed in order to have an absolute BLAST

WoT is great! I just started playing in August and usually put in an hour or so each night. You have to put some thought into equipping your tanks and crew skills, and definitely some stragedy to the different tiers and maps. Good fun!

#28 6 years ago

If you are setting up a gaming PC, Launchbox is a cool way to put everything in a front end. Steam will sort of do the same thing and mostly work, but I like LB better because it works with all different platforms and game sources, including Steam. I like having one interface where I can easily launch any game of choice.

LB with Windows games.
lb windows (resized).jpglb windows (resized).jpg

How about some good old DOS fun.
Launchbox DOS (resized).pngLaunchbox DOS (resized).png

You can also set it up for MAME and all other retro emulation stuff if you like that also.

lb arcade (resized).jpglb arcade (resized).jpg

Launchbox N64 (resized).pngLaunchbox N64 (resized).png

#29 6 years ago

Anyone else still play Crysis occasionally?

I've been meaning to buy player unknown battleground. It looks interesting.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great old game was called Empire II or Empire Delux which came out before Civ. It was similar build units but less about city building more just exploring and fighting with turn based. It’s still able to be played today.

That reminds me of the large lan parties I used to go to and play age of empires I and II.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m looking for some recommendations in FPS, RTS, RPG and rogue like games as well as any other great strategy games or story driven action games.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

Far Cry, Far Cry 2

I was thinking of the Far Cry series (even though i thought 2 was shit). But Far Cry 3 & 4 both are really fun. Action with RPG elements rolled in. The RPG & upgrading stuff is fun and the game is set up well to keep you interested & focused.
Sadly I don;t have the time anymore to put 40+ hours into a Final Fantasy game or anything.

#32 6 years ago

I REALLY want to like Pinball Arcade but the physics are so bad, it's not fun.
Zen Pinball 3 is great. They do a good job of combining (fun) real pinball table designs with the advantages of a video game.
I missed the release of Pro Pinball ULTRA but was recently blown away by it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/287900/Pro_Pinball_Ultra/

It's fantastic, check it out.

#33 6 years ago

If you like competitive gameplay:

PlayerUknown's Battlegrounds is a great fps.

Overwatch is good, more noob friendly.

Rocket League is a lot of fun and it's cheap, on sale too.

If you're interested in MOBAs there's League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm

Star Wars fans enjoy Battlefront 2

If you have a few online friends to play with get drunk and play Golf With Friends.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Haven’t played them all the way, like I said maybe ADD but I’ll play a few levels and not get to the entire game.

Oh jeez... I can understand not playing through Half-Life (2), but you REALLY should try to play through at least Bioshock 1 and 3. Skip 2 if you have to. The twists and turns those games put you through are incredible. The story is AAA movie worthy.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a really great experience too. It should give your GPU a bit of an opportunity to stretch its legs as well.

#35 6 years ago

Look at the Hitman series including the latest release on STEAM only. High end will push your computer. Terrific series. It is third person but if you like rogue like games I think it is one of the best.

Quoted from rai:

I’ve always been into PC games more than console games.
I’m buying a new pc with the latest graphics card and high performance gaming monitor.
I’ve never got into the third person perspective or multiplayer games so much.
Some of my favorite games old school was MOO, Warcraft, and Doom but have not played much of the games that were released in the past several years.
I’m typically buying on Steam but would be open to other recommendations for where to buy games.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Oh jeez... I can understand not playing through Half-Life (2), but you REALLY should try to play through at least Bioshock 1 and 3. Skip 2 if you have to. The twists and turns those games put you through are incredible. The story is AAA movie worthy.

Bioshocks are a must, agreed.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m not interested in WoW at this time. But have a few questions, do they allow players to kill other players? Also what happens to your character when you die?

In the open world, it depends on your server. You can join a PVE or a PVP server. In the latter you can be killed at any time. In both there are PVP arenas.

When you do your spirit will spawn at a graveyard, and you need to "walk" back to your body. Your armor will need to be repaired after too many deaths. You don't lose any gear, but I think there may be a hit to the gold you have on you. I'm not sure, it's been a while.

#38 6 years ago

Divinity: Original Sin 2

The thread is over and it's time for you to go play.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a really great experience too. It should give your GPU a bit of an opportunity to stretch its legs as well.

Will check out New Order, I like the story cut scenes, is Mass Effect any good?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Will check out New Order, I like the story cut scenes, is Mass Effect any good?

Did you ever play the KOTR games? It's like that but to a more in-depth level. Too much for a lot of folks including me.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from drunkbaby:

PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds if you want an experience like nothing you've ever had before.

Yes!!!!! You must buy this game!! PUBG is FPS Heaven!

For your Baldurs Gate fix: Divinity Original Sin 2. An excellent RPS game.

Look me up on Steam, Zamp77.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

is Mass Effect any good?

The first few games were brilliant, but like any good thing, later sequels were rushed cash grabs. Remember: it’s a 3rd person game as well.

I know you said you don’t care for 3rd person games (I’m honestly not a fan either), but Dead Space is another great experience. Definitely worth your time, especially if you’re considering Mass Effect.

#43 6 years ago

I am playing Grim Dawn right now. Got sick of Diablo 3.
Path of Exile is also a good game.
I will play WoW again when Vanilla servers are up.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I will play WoW again when Vanilla servers are up.

Is that going to be a thing?

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Yes!!!!! You must buy this game!! PUBG is FPS Heaven!

I agree. I had not played an FPS in 3 years before this came out. Pretty special game. For $30 you will be hard pressed to find better bang for your buck entertainment wise.

#46 6 years ago

Yes announced at Blizzcon

#47 6 years ago

Brutal Doom /thread

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Damn I miss Return to Castle Wolfensteins multiplayer heyday. What a fun game!

This is the most true gaming statement of my life. No game (PC or otherwise) has ever come close to RtCW multiplayer for me in terms of fun, skill, teamwork, or the most important: community. I even got into the hobby of game development and level design thru that game... what a great time...

Thank you for the reminder of those days

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

This is the most true gaming statement of my life. No game (PC or otherwise) has ever come close to RtCW multiplayer for me in terms of fun, skill, teamwork, or the most important: community. I even got into the hobby of game development and level design thru that game... what a great time...
Thank you for the reminder of those days

Hell yes! I remember when I first started on a 56k connection and playing as a soldier with a machine gun

Back before you needed progression and unlock systems. Before you needed 80 different guns in a game. The reward wasn’t in unlocks. The reward was the gameplay, teamwork, and just fun itself. Truly one of the most underrated games ever.

And yes, an actual server list where individual communities can be built and thrive.

Dirty Bomb is as close of a feeling in modern games today, but it’s still not that close.

Edit: Instead of “hell yes” I should say v57. I can probably still recall every “v say” by muscle memory lol.

#50 6 years ago

EDIT: Code has been claimed by the gentleman in NC, cheers!

Speaking of PC games, if anybody owns a 1080 or 1080 ti and would like a free copy of Destiny 2 shoot me a PM. I already bought it so can’t use it.

Please note this came with my new 1080 ti, and for the code to work you need to go through the Nvidia app, which will verify you have a 1080. If you don’t have the card please don’t request the code as it won’t work and then nobody gets to use it

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-games-discussion-and-recommendations?hl=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.