(Topic ID: 307525)

PC-based board testers. Nobody has made one yet?

By PghPinballRescue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by rkahr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_3132 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

You need to keep in mind that most of the older pinball hardware are being run by pretty primitive computer systems. Williams system 3 through 11 were built around a pre-packaged computer architecture of the 6800 series processors. In these system there really are no high level diagnostics for a computer based system to interface with. There have been some programs written for the williams boards that can be used to test some of the components on logic side of the boards. I am thinking here specifically of the Leon test programs for checking PIAs and memory functions.

One thing about these systems: 6800 based systems have very little fault tolerances built into them, most of the time they either boot and run or they don't. Having a system that 'kinda' runs is pretty rare.

As pointed out earlier, this is why most of the time the most useful tools you have available to you are a logic probe, and multi-meter. I also keep an oscilloscope around so I can find 'floating' signals.

For testing most common output circuits, I use a lot of the test fixtures that are available from siegecraft electronics. That said, if you want to get into board repair, I don't know how much longer siegcraft will be around. The owner wants to sell the company. I also have a dedicated display because I work mostly on early Williams games. It was made from a kit produced by @DumbAss. You can find out information about that board here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs

IMG_3132 (resized).JPGIMG_3132 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-based-board-testers-nobody-has-made-one-yet?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.