(Topic ID: 307525)

PC-based board testers. Nobody has made one yet?

By PghPinballRescue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by rkahr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_3132 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PghPinballRescue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Has anyone considered building a PC-based or arduino-based board tester?

I'm visualizing a circuit board with USB on end to plug into the PC, and a bunch of harnesses to connect the board being tested.

For example, lets say you're testing a Bally MPU board.

Plug the board into the harnesses on the tester, plug in the USB port to the PC, and hit GO on the screen which initiates a voltage check, logic check, yes/no test, etc... to/from all of the necessary pins.

Obviously you'd need a power supply to give the correct voltages to power the board.

But having the ability to print out a list of bad or out of spec components would be awesome.

Each board would have its own profile in the software for testing.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Gottlieb built one for system 3 games. Very hard to find. Wish I could get my hands on one.
    I think the reason you don't see PC/microcontroller based testers is because most board testing takes place at the hardware level, rather than at the software level.

Part of the tester could be a test probe(s). During the test, it'll say "probe R5" and it'll take its reading. Then move on to the next part that needs probed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PghPinballRescue.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-based-board-testers-nobody-has-made-one-yet?tu=PghPinballRescue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.