(Topic ID: 307525)

PC-based board testers. Nobody has made one yet?

By PghPinballRescue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by rkahr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    IMG_3132 (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

Has anyone considered building a PC-based or arduino-based board tester?

I'm visualizing a circuit board with USB on end to plug into the PC, and a bunch of harnesses to connect the board being tested.

For example, lets say you're testing a Bally MPU board.

Plug the board into the harnesses on the tester, plug in the USB port to the PC, and hit GO on the screen which initiates a voltage check, logic check, yes/no test, etc... to/from all of the necessary pins.

Obviously you'd need a power supply to give the correct voltages to power the board.

But having the ability to print out a list of bad or out of spec components would be awesome.

Each board would have its own profile in the software for testing.

#2 2 years ago

Gottlieb built one for system 3 games. Very hard to find. Wish I could get my hands on one.

I think the reason you don't see PC/microcontroller based testers is because most board testing takes place at the hardware level, rather than at the software level.

Then on top of that it's hard to test for certain issues at the software level, like when there's a problem with address or data lines. Or, if there's a short somewhere with unexpected voltage going somewhere it's not supposed to go, it's possible that it could damage the PC/microcontroller.

I think the closest automatic/computerized testers available that offered more than just a LED blink diagnostic were probably the bally fixit ROM board and quickscan80 tester.

#3 2 years ago

Someone here has been working on an ardino MPU tester for Bally MPUs. Look for the Dyi MPU tester thread.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think the closest automatic/computerized testers available that offered more than just a LED blink diagnostic were probably the bally fixit ROM board and quickscan80 tester.

The quickscan80 is an absolute life saver. It's a shame Williams didn't have a bus header like Bally and Gottlieb.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

The quickscan80 is an absolute life saver.

Unfortunately, I missed out on getting one. Instead, I rely on the Sys80 Universal Tester board: https://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_universaltester.php

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Gottlieb built one for system 3 games. Very hard to find. Wish I could get my hands on one.
    I think the reason you don't see PC/microcontroller based testers is because most board testing takes place at the hardware level, rather than at the software level.

Part of the tester could be a test probe(s). During the test, it'll say "probe R5" and it'll take its reading. Then move on to the next part that needs probed.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

It's a shame Williams didn't have a bus header like Bally and Gottlieb.

System 7 boards have an unpopulated header with most of the signals you'd need. Also you'd probably test the mpu board by itself, so the signals are all available on the 40 pin header.

Adam at onecircuit was working on fluke 9010 replacement but looks like he dropped it several years ago. figures, now that I know what the 9010 is useful for, you can't get them cheaper anymore.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Part of the tester could be a test probe(s). During the test, it'll say "probe R5" and it'll take its reading. Then move on to the next part that needs probed.

You kind of have to know what you're probing for. Data signal (high or low?) clock? voltage? Something else?

Then what if there's a malfunction on the line you're probing? How would that be interpreted at the software level? How would that malfunction relate to other things?

Hardware diagnostics are hard to write high-level language code for, which is probably why it hasn't been done. I don't really see a computer-based tool being significantly helpful for microprocessor-based hardware since all you would basically be doing is replacing a multimeter and logic probe.

A PC/microcontroller would probably be more useful when pairing it with modern microcontroller-based hardware. But again, if you're trying to troubleshoot stuff at the hardware level, it's hard to beat a multimeter and logic probe.

#9 2 years ago

You need to keep in mind that most of the older pinball hardware are being run by pretty primitive computer systems. Williams system 3 through 11 were built around a pre-packaged computer architecture of the 6800 series processors. In these system there really are no high level diagnostics for a computer based system to interface with. There have been some programs written for the williams boards that can be used to test some of the components on logic side of the boards. I am thinking here specifically of the Leon test programs for checking PIAs and memory functions.

One thing about these systems: 6800 based systems have very little fault tolerances built into them, most of the time they either boot and run or they don't. Having a system that 'kinda' runs is pretty rare.

As pointed out earlier, this is why most of the time the most useful tools you have available to you are a logic probe, and multi-meter. I also keep an oscilloscope around so I can find 'floating' signals.

For testing most common output circuits, I use a lot of the test fixtures that are available from siegecraft electronics. That said, if you want to get into board repair, I don't know how much longer siegcraft will be around. The owner wants to sell the company. I also have a dedicated display because I work mostly on early Williams games. It was made from a kit produced by @DumbAss. You can find out information about that board here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs

IMG_3132 (resized).JPGIMG_3132 (resized).JPG
    #10 2 years ago

Where the heck is the Amusement game tester division of Kurz-Kasch?

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Someone here has been working on an ardino MPU tester for Bally MPUs. Look for the Dyi MPU tester thread.

Yep, see here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-bally-mpu-tester-

#12 2 years ago

Been flirting with this idea for the past year. Gottlieb test fixture where it can go test peripherals, read ROMs, etc. Controlled/statusing through a USB interface.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Been flirting with this idea for the past year. Gottlieb test fixture where it can go test peripherals, read ROMs, etc. Controlled/statusing through a USB interface.

Would that include sound boards? MPUs and driver boards are documented pretty well, but later sound boards are generally a bit more mysterious and are somewhat lacking in troubleshooting info.

3 months later
    #15 1 year ago

Saw this thread and thought that it was interesting. I have been doing work for an electronics store that works on pins. Yesterday they ask that I fix a few System 3-7 board for them. Was digging thru things and said hey if this helps ya... The store has the missing board and I should have it tonight... anyone used this before? I found the manual on line... I figure with my pincoder adapter should make working on these pretty simple...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #16 1 year ago

Interesting - I wonder if there any others out there in captivity. It looks like it can test the MPU without the driver board attached. I wonder how well it worked.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Interesting - I wonder if there any others out there in captivity. It looks like it can test the MPU without the driver board attached. I wonder how well it worked.

I’m itching to find out! Once I have the control board I’ll be able to fire it up. This thing was probably pretty hi tech back in 1979

#18 1 year ago

Flying probe tester in action:

Can dream, right?

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for System 3-6

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pc-based-board-testers-nobody-has-made-one-yet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.