Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Evets
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Can someone please post a pic of Steve (and/or Pbr co-workers) in action being busy filling orders?
    If no one has a pic, please take one next week if any locals will be going to their bldg to get parts.
    A pic of Steve chewing someone out on the phone would be pure Pinside Gold.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

A pic of Steve chewing someone out on the phone would pure Pinside Gold.

It would be a kick ass T-shirt with the quote "I told you, it's been out of stock for two years".

He should offer those on his site, I would be buy one!

#53 9 years ago

There were pics of him in a PGJ or Gameroom Magazine article awhile back.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

There were pics of him in a PGJ or Gameroom Magazine article awhile back.

http://www.pbresource.com/ads/pbrgm.pdf

#55 9 years ago

Sweet wood rails in the office! I wonder if he still has them / if they are working? I have a feeling they are. I am working on my first pin purchase right now (Gottlieb EM of course) and I bought a bunch of parts from PBR. Its like an old fashioned mail order business. It works as good as it did 20 years ago, so there is no incentive for them to change. And I'm okay with that.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you don't have your part numbers ready tho, prepare for an ass chewing.

I've heard this ever since I've been on Pinside!

I have never had the 'opportunity' to talk with him. Looking forward to it though, someday. I WILL be prepared!

#57 9 years ago

Awesome article post, thanks. I don't buy the last photo though, fake call, fake call!

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

I've heard this ever since I've been on Pinside!
    I have never had the 'opportunity' to talk with him. Looking forward to it though, someday. I WILL be prepared!

Drink a six pack of red bull, tighten up your shorts, and suck up your hemi's. Give him a call and get ready for an ole-fashioned Poughkeepsie butt chewing!!!

#59 9 years ago

Have your part numbers and customer ID number ready when you call and all goes smooth. How many people today will send you the parts and trust you to send him a check upon receiving the parts? Best prices on a lot of stuff and Steve will load you up with great information. Besides who doesn't deserve a good ole ass chewing every now and then?

#60 9 years ago

I order from steve all the time. And he usually is the one picking up the phone. When i first called PBR and talked with steve i thought what an ass. But he also has taught me alot, i always make sure to have part numbers even though they are usually the wrong numbers. He is a wealth of knowledge and a asset to the pin community. I like the oldtimers they tell you like it is.

#61 9 years ago

Let's hear a few more phrases that Steve has barked at you guys over the phone that stuck in your mind, and/or some interesting bit of pinball info or history that he mentioned.

#62 9 years ago

"That is not correct".
    "Why are you ordering that"?
    "Why are you ordering two when you only need one"?

#63 9 years ago

Always done email orders - always been great. I ask for all sorts of things without part numbers and Jimmy is great!

#64 9 years ago

I just email. There's usually a little back and forth, and Jimmy is helpful.

I love the net-10 payment/mailing checks. I can email an order, not think about it, then when it arrives drop a check. It's a level of trust that is hard to find these days.

#65 9 years ago

"Why are you ordering the whole target switch if only the target is broken, I have the faces" - because the extra $4 vs the hour trying to replace it isn't worth it for generic switches!

"This is the last time I'm doing this" - whatever it is, he'll do it again.

"hold on, let me look" - even he doesn't trust his own computers.

"I don't know how other people make their (insert part here), but I make mine to William spec" - tru dat! Best repro parts out there.

I might change this thread to the Steve Young fan club haha - yeah?

#66 9 years ago

"I'm not there looking at the part, I'm at the phone writing this order down."
    "These are getting rare... are you sure you need it?"

"That's an old part # the correct one is ..."
    "You've switched games on me haven't you?"

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Drink a six pack of red bull, tighten up your shorts, and suck up your hemi's. Give him a call and get ready for an ole-fashioned Poughkeepsie butt chewing!!!

I was born in Poughkeepsie, so I actually HAVE a Poughkeepsie butt ...

#68 9 years ago

Steve is a great guy in my book. Probably talked with him a half dozen times and emailed him the same. So far I have avoided any squabbles, in spite of my ignorance of part numbers and multitude of dumb a** questions. He must have sensed my gentle nature and decided I wouldn't be worth the effort.

Once I a had a trying experience with them though.... I am all for paying bills upon receipt, if they are due upon receipt, but one day my order from PBR arrives and my bill was around $20 and I was out of checks. As you know or will soon learn, everybody pays PBR by check. I can't call in a credit card number so figure I can wait until my next order and pay them both at the same time. Rationalizing that one check is easier to deal with than two, right? Three weeks go by and I get an envelope with a copy of my invoice and a stamp - this is a duplicate invoice in case you didn't find it in the order. Still no checks so I put the duplicate invoice in a drawer and thought, "I'll get to it when I get to it, sheeeesh". Well. then I totally forgot about it

Three months go by and I have a pinball machine listed for sale and was beginning to have people wanting to look at it. Maybe I should mention that I had wanted and planned to rebuild the flippers before this point in time, now I was really running out of time. I rush emailed my order to PBR at 5pm on a Friday and included a message to please start processing this right away because I needed the parts shipped Fri or Sat. I have ordered maybe $600 of stuff from them at that time, so consider myself to be above average pain-in-the-ass customer for him, Three days later I receive a box from PBR and opened it. Inside was an invoice stamped - past due - with a hand written note informing me that PBR stands ready to process my order once they receive payment for my account balance.

After calming down I called Steve to see if I could straighten things out. I began by explaining my situation and requested he send my current order today. I promised to put check in mail today and wanted him to do the same with my parts. Steve explained this was company policy (his own company) and that he didn't see a need to make an exception. He made it clear that once he receives a check, then will he ship.

I tell that story in fondness because I have always liked Steve and enjoy dealing with Steve. I didn't allow that experience to mar my opinion, especially since I was 100% in the wrong. So if you do get yelled at one day when trying to place your order, and this is inevitable, just let the loud voices gently wash over your spirit and know that you'll be receiving some top quality parts at fantastic prices. They will arrive in a few days...as long as your account balance is zero. I get a good feeling placing every order with PBL as it means I am supporting a great pinball company.

#69 9 years ago

If you need a really obscure part, there is a good chance Steve will have it.

Steve has even made a few parts for me that were NLA.

He's still the best in the biz, in my opinion!

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Three days later I get a box from PBR and opened it. Inside was a past due invoice with a hand written note informing me that PBR stands ready to process my current order once they receive payment of my past due account.

Great stuff. Sounds like something I would do if I was in Steve's shoes. I'll bet you never forget to pay him in a timely manner ever again.

I would go to a gas station, drug store, post office, my credit union or Sam Drucker's General Store and get a money order if I were out of checks.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Great stuff. Sounds like something I would do if I was in Steve's shoes. I'll bet you never forget to pay him in a timely manner ever again.
    I would go to a gas station, drug store, post office, my credit union or Sam Drucker's General Store and get a money order if I were out of checks.

He doesn't accepts money orders.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

He doesn't accepts money orders.

How about stamps?

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Nothing but love for Steve, but how many of yall including myself have had this famous conversation with him, that typically goes the same way...to which you don't even get to finish the sentence.
    Me:"Steve I'm looking for on Haunted House the plast......"
    Steve interrupts "NO LONGER AVAILABLE".
    Me: "the plastic above the secret passage"
    Steve: "i said no longer available, hasnt been available in 2 years"
    Or the parts order you put in with sweet Gloria....that results in "hold on let me get Steve on the phone and ask him" the thoughts start rolling through my mind....here comes an ass chewing.
    All in all they are great people and I do truely enjoy talking to both Steve and Gloria and I've been talking to them for going on 15 years. Usually our parts order ends up sidetracking into bs about this and that. I'm probably part of the reason you can't get through. I've learned a lot from Steve over the years he is a wealth of information and he is an honest salesman who will tell you straight if you are ordering something you don't need for a repair, gotta love him for that as I'm sure other people would be happy to take my unnessary part order to make the quick sale.
    Post edited by hassellcastle

a

this is the part that entertains me when calling steve. You know your in for a wild ride when you call. In fact during league last night, I had this exact conversation with someone who got the pleasure of calling Steve for the first time. Man, If only I could be a fly on the wall and see people reaction from that first conversation. That would be classic hidden camera material. Makes me smile just imagining it.

#74 9 years ago

My virgin first call with Steve last year was when I called him to see why they had not answered my email for parts. Got chewed out for calling and causing potential confusion and told to continue order by email. Last Tuesday email reply was call Steve this time to discuss. Thought oh shit.
    Got all part numbers ready checked list three times and I got through immediately and he was charming. Had to call again Wednesday again got straight through and he was very helpful again had a good chat for ages. Probably why people could not get through!

SteveJ

#75 9 years ago

Does PBR carry switches? Not pop bumper switches, not stand-up switches, both of which are found on his website easily enough, but drop target and other switches? Not seeing them on the site anywhere, and I'd like to avoid a chewing-out.

#76 9 years ago

Anyone in Portland OR. ever deal with Oscar at Dunis Dist. He and Steve could have been related.

"Don't call it a Juke box, Gaddamnit. it's a Coin operated phonograph"

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I thought Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Frank from Blue Velvet?

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Does PBR carry switches? Not pop bumper switches, not stand-up switches, both of which are found on his website easily enough, but drop target and other switches? Not seeing them on the site anywhere, and I'd like to avoid a chewing-out.

Steve carries almost everything, and remakes himself a lot of it, his site only has a fraction of what he sells. It's almost deceiving for him to have what little he has up on his site.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Yes, I just ordered some switches that weren't displayed on the site. I gave the part number found in the relevant parts manual.

#80 9 years ago

"keep moving parts"

#81 9 years ago

I feel a beat cheated, but that's ok. Everytime I call, Gloria answers, we have a nice little conversation and then she goes off to find Steve to discuss the one part in my order that requires special attention. Steve has always been straightforward and he;s even chuckled a couple of times. The part shows up a short time later. Maybe I'm just a smooth operator, although my wife would vehemently disagree.

Steve

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.