(Topic ID: 322912)

PBL Speaker Light kit VS Speakerlightkits.com ?

By Renegade

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DugFreez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Does anyone know the difference between Pinball Life’s speaker light kit and the ones found on Speakerlightkits.com? The PBL seems like a heck of a deal as it includes Kenwood speakers for the same price.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/rgb-led-round-speaker-upgrade-and-light-kit-for-most-stern-spike-2-pro-premium-machines.html
    Does anyone have video of a PBL kit installed? (I’m upgrading my GOTG Pro)

#2 1 year ago

I have a set of PBL in my shopping cart for about a week now. Will purchase when my basket gets full. It does sound like a good deal. Speakerlightkits.com does have wide assortment of speaker light kits.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Renegade:

Does anyone know the difference between Pinball Life’s speaker light kit and the ones found on Speakerlightkits.com? The PBL seems like a heck of a deal as it includes Kenwood speakers for the same price.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/rgb-led-round-speaker-upgrade-and-light-kit-for-most-stern-spike-2-pro-premium-machines.html

Generally the same except for the “Flamin frames” which are controlled with a microcontroller, more expensive and much cooler for games where it fits the theme. (And take WAY longer to build.)

#4 1 year ago

The one difference that I know of (and it's a dealbreaker for me) is that the PBL ones have exposed LEDs around the perimeter of the speaker, whereas the Speaker Light Kits Type 13 has the LEDs in a translucent white housing that diffuses the LED light a little better. The PBL kit is a great bargain, though, and if that one little fact doesn't bother you then the PBL kit is the way to go.

#5 1 year ago

Has anyone tried the Cointaker speaker kit yet?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

The one difference that I know of (and it's a dealbreaker for me) is that the PBL ones have exposed LEDs around the perimeter of the speaker, whereas the Speaker Light Kits Type 13 has the LEDs in a translucent white housing that diffuses the LED light a little better. The PBL kit is a great bargain, though, and if that one little fact doesn't bother you then the PBL kit is the way to go.

Hmmm good point. I have a set of PBLs I stumbled onto. I’m going to see if I can diffuse those LEDs with something. I made a lightsaber for my kid a couple of years ago with exposed LEDs and there were a couple solutions to that issue

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Renegade:

The differences are:

With the Pinball Life kit you are talking about, it includes the 5.25" Kenwood speakers and a surround set (I'm not sure if you can request the color you would like or not). This light kit uses standard RGB LEDs and as parsonsaj mentioned, has the light strips exposed (just stuck on the light ring) instead of being enclosed (inserted inside the light ring).

My Deluxe 5.25" / 5.25" Speaker Plate COMBO kit uses addressable RGB LEDs. This allows for more elaborate color chase and stacking color transitions (358 different color / color transition patterns) along with other, more advanced controller features like a DIY "favorites" list. This type of elaborate lighting is not possible with the standard RGB light strips in the PBL kit. The light strips in my Deluxe 5.25" kits are enclosed in the light rings and diffused so they are never in direct view.

Both kits also come with the 5.25" speaker plates.

I hope this helps and if you would have any additional questions, feel free to ask, pm or e-mail.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#8 1 year ago

I’m a Doug fan, enclosed light strips make the difference. Never had an issue and never really had to wait either. If I did such is life it’s only pinball man!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Has anyone tried the Cointaker speaker kit yet?

Please don't. Depending on which kit you are talking about, they either look bad, are a direct copy of my light kits (at a higher price) or a poor attempt to copy my light kits. You can ask about any one of them specifically and I can explain why you shouldn't buy them.

Though, the number one reason from me is going to be because they were my friends, they asked to resell my light kits and after years of doing that, they decide " We are building our own kits in house and are going to continue to do so." after saying "You have my word that I will not have more light kits made…I have not and will not." when I confronted them about having copies of my light kits made years earlier. Yes, those are direct quotes.

So, just a company with poor business ethics that doesn't mind going against their "word" and stabbing a friend in the back if it can help them take those coins.

...and does anyone else think it's skeezy how they have all of their light kits listed with a fake inflated price with a slash through it? I mean, it was never priced that...so why do they have they price there with the slash through it? Do they think people are stupid? Gee look....this knock off copy light kit was originally $109.95.....now it's only $89.95! (Only $4.95 over the price of the guy they ripped off) What a bargain! In any case...posting fake inflated prices with a slash through them seems pretty deceptive in my opinion.

What is really sad, is on a Pinside thread years ago Cointaker Melissa said "Anyone that is in the business should understand that it is not easy when someone comes in and copies/duplicates/ or whatever you want to call it....even some going as far to call their bulbs the exact same name that we created for our bulbs...bring something new to the table...I am not going after the topper or mod business that some have created when I could very well do so...that is their niche and I respect that...all I ask is for the same respect/courtesy in the industry."...when she was in a discussion about another company copying their bulbs. Yet....they not only copied the design of my Deluxe Speaker Light Kits (and are selling it at a higher price), but they copied the name also, just as she was speaking out about others doing to them. So, the sad part is, she has become exactly what she used to speak out against.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

The differences are:
    With the Pinball Life kit you are talking about, it includes the 5.25" Kenwood speakers and a surround set (I'm not sure if you can request the color you would like or not). This light kit uses standard RGB LEDs and as parsonsaj mentioned, has the light strips exposed (just stuck on the light ring) instead of being enclosed (inserted inside the light ring).
    My Deluxe 5.25" / 5.25" Speaker Plate COMBO kit uses addressable RGB LEDs. This allows for more elaborate color chase and stacking color transitions (358 different color / color transition patterns) along with other, more advanced controller features like a DIY "favorites" list. This type of elaborate lighting is not possible with the standard RGB light strips in the PBL kit. The light strips in my Deluxe 5.25" kits are enclosed in the light rings and diffused so they are never in direct view.
    Both kits also come with the 5.25" speaker plates.
    I hope this helps and if you would have any additional questions, feel free to ask, pm or e-mail.

Thanks Doug. The “addressable” feature was in my thought process. I guess since PBL doesn’t mention it, that should be a clue that it’s not included.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

How are the Flamin frames coming along? I knew there was a long delay when I ordered mine so I'm just curious.

Cheers

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammer3246:

How are the Flamin frames coming along? I knew there was a long delay when I ordered mine so I'm just curious.
    Cheers

Myth Pinball has a flaming kit in the Market, I think $130 or so. I am curious but always laugh when the competitors price their versions HIGHER than Dug's kit. I just don't get what they are thinking...

#13 1 year ago

I'd rather burn the money for warmth than buy speaker light kits; but If I bought some they sure as shit would be from the OG Doug Freeze. CT shady as shit.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Myth Pinball has a flaming kit in the Market, I think $130 or so. I am curious if they are all that they seem...

They don't like quite as nice as Doug's.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammer3246:

Cheers

The orders being shipped out now were placed just under 6 months ago. With the first 3 months of sales now shipped out, the wait window should get shorter.

All of my other 13 light kit types are still shipping in 0 - 3 days after an order is placed. So, there is only a wait on the Flaming (type 14) light kits.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammer3246:

They don't like quite as nice as Doug's.

Myth kits look great. It's a quality product.

If you had both types, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

3 months later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pbl-speaker-light-kit-vs-speakerlightkitscom- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.