Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

well, I've been using payrange for a little while now. I only bought one batch as a test, they did poorly for a long, long time. Took a while before people actually started using them.

Decided to grab a few more but this time instead of just ordering them via an online "add in cart" page. You have to get with a representative and draw up a contract. The percentage was at 4%, now it's going up to 4.25% which I'm fine with.

The thing I'm not fine with is the 50 cent charge per week, per machine. It's not a lot up front, but say you have 10 machines that aren't being used.. now your getting charged an extra 20 bucks a month for nothing. Yes I know you can swap them, but it's a pain in the ass to have to redo the data every time you want to move one back and forth. Its real easy to forget things, like putting the wrong pricing schedule.

Not sure if I should continue using them or not. For me it's hard to say if it's actually increased revenue, this has been more an experiment then anything. Think the main reason it's taken off is because of the 7 for 1 discount and not because it's another way to pay. ( thought it was a cool idea though)
    Anyway it'd be nice to see thoughts on what others might do.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Same thing happened to me. They jacked up the pricing and made me sign a contract. However, after much correspondence with Gavin in tech support I was able to mine invaluable data. Think about it a sec. they have access to every single PayRange out there. As an operator I’m always wondering what’s working and what’s not. I often ask people I do deals with and they all say Star Wars and ghostbusters are some of the best earners. However I learned that out of thousands of machines across the country the most profitable or at least the machines earning the most are not even pinballs. I’m not surprised by this but I was surprised by what machine actually does the best. Granted this is just a machine on PayRange so data could be skewed. Any guesses as to what is the top earning machine in the PayRange database??

so what a second, your able to access the pay range database? that might be a descent tool to have. I get surprised more and more as to what does well and what doesn't. Guardians is in first followed closely in second place by TWD for me. on all my reports it only shows mobile sales, it never shows cash totals. Cash is always 0, not sure why it's even on there. Payrange acts for probably 10-20% of my totals, so my data would be messed up.

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Iron man or taf

I love ironman, but its usually rounding out the bottom five for me. Even with extended ball save times and lowered outlane post and lowered pricing. I think casual players feel cheated, the casual player seems to make up the bulk of the coin drop.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

hot shots linked basketballs.

I always wanted to get a couple of those, you can't just get one though.

Quoted from Jkush18:

Don’t go calling them pumping them for info whysnow .

k, so the info isn't readily available then... that's to bad. if they were able to farm that information and give it out to other payrange customers without violating others by naming names I might of thought about continuing with them.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

I’d be worried about balls needing inflating and or replaced often and theft. Plus the added liability of having someone getting jacked in the face with a wild toss.

Theft would suck, but it's part of the game. As long as your games can eat the cost and still turn out, it shouldn't be a big thing. I have people running off with 8 balls, cue balls and plastic crappy darts all the time.

Quoted from Jkush18:

Operating pinballs without any ancillary sources of revenue such as beer or atms etc is just not profitable anyway you slice it. On average newer sterns bring 100/month before retailer commissions. If you want to make real money get a video game that two people have to play to have fun. Mario kart gp etc. Please chime in if my experience is an isolated case but from most folks I talk to I’m not way of base.

at most locations I think you'd be right, which is why pinball is hard to justify unless your getting a bigger portion of the split at least 75%-90% (if there is a lot of pinball operators doing 50/50 where your from then I'm sure it'd be difficult to get anything more, in Houston operating pins isn't really a thing). I actually just renegotiated my split on pins and darts 2 months ago. Usually my new sterns do pretty good, payoff times with the new split averaging in the 2 year range. (my GB made 1200 on it's first month, haven't had it happen since or before on a new game though ). I've heard of people making a lot more with that title. Granted it was in the honeymoon phase, but man that would be fantastic to make that all the time on a few games.
    Older bally Williams usually bring in less, as expected, but it's nice not just having sterns. The remakes do about as good as the sterns usually, MMR did better sometimes.

I try to only go with games with popular themes nobody else has, lot easier to do in Houston. Regardless, I opt for the premium/le edition of the game so even if we have the same title, it's a slightly different experience. Most people probably don't know any better as far as pro/premium, but I think enough do to make it worth it.

I've found that the bigger the bank, the bigger the overall pot, but the less the games make individually. Seems like every game I add, adds maybe another 10-15% to the overall pot but takes maybe 5-10% from other games.

Golden tees have always done really well for me, not sure if it's big where your from but might be worth a shot. Bigger newer arcade games scare me since there is no resale value really. Who is gonna want a giant walking dead arcade game in 5 or 10 years?

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

machine doing less than $200/mo AFTER the split, it's a candidate for being sold off --- $100/mo pre-split would be really depressing.

100 dollars would be a little depressing. I'd still probably have a couple because I enjoy it, but not near the amount I have now.
    There are a few games of mine that hit below the 200 mark on a regular basis, but I put soooo much work into them since they are older Bally/Williams games that I'd be even more depressed to let them go right now. Plus like I was saying, it's nice having a mixture of old and new. About to put a descent paragon out there, can't imagine it's going to make very much either. Regardless, it's nice being in a position to put the experience out there even if for a short time.

Quoted from Whysnow:

This combined with fee inceases gives pause. On top of it all, pay range has been a very bad investment and a PITA IMHO. A very small population uses them, they did not add any revenue, and they are expensive for what they do.

I agree 100%, Seemed like a great idea at the time though. Glad I didn't get more before they did the fee increase.

1 month later
    #30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

What we are finding is at 'pinball locations' they are used about 60%. By that I mean a places where pinball players go to play pinball.

Think this says it all, I'd definitely do some canvasing and see what type of players you have coming in. you also have to do a lot of promoting which I never did. Like I said it only recently started getting utilized on a regular basis... and mainly by pinball players.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

PayRange is best used for a variety of coin operated amusements not just exclusive to pinball machines.

Out of all my equipment I think the only thing that would benefit is the vending machines, the pinballs, pool tables and maybe the arcade machines. My other equipment like golden tees, buck hunters, megatouch, E-darts, jukebox would probably would never get used. Think it has to be a certain type of machine like you listed, like a redemption style with no online presence. That and you have to have a lot of it.

Jukebox? They can already pay with their phone and select their music with the same app..
    Are you using an older jukebox?

Honestly, If I had a bar and games were my main pull. I would go with a card system, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you don't need to pay state and local tax (decals) since your not technically taking money. I pay over 5k a year now, and that number will only get bigger from year to year .
    Pretty sure it's the reason a lot of places either go free play, card play or tokens.
    Not 100% about the card system though. Thought it was pretty cool when I saw it at level 257

5 months later
    #33 5 years ago

If you use payrange, make sure you check them every now and again. I had a game giving out 30 credits for a dollar, my vending machine was giving out 2 dollars for every one dollar. I haven't changed anything in a long time on them... it just started doing this on their own.

I had to reset both devices and to clear up the issue, I asked tech support if there is anything I can do about this and they basically said "sorry that sucks, keep an eye on it and let us know". I aint got time to be checking this stuff all time, can't really get rid of them at this point either. Think I'm just gonna stick my change machine on payrange and call it a day.

2 months later
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Many of my games don't earn $50 a month, let alone $200. So until the pinball culture here is an actual thing I'll be sticking with a change machine and quarters.

yup, I probably would of kept going with them if it wasn't for the 50 cent per week, per machine thing. Since I cycle games it'd be easier to buy one for each machine then mess with swapping them all the time. If they would of gone up to 5 or 6% instead of the 50 cents, that would of been cool as well.
    It's not like it's a lot of money, but I try to avoid subscription fees regardless of cost. 50 cents per machine, per week adds up pretty fast.

People who use the devices really like them, it just takes a while to grow it. After those last two issues, I decided it time to go back to dollars/quarters again. The biggest thing people seem to like is not having to bring money, so I stuck one on a change machine and check it pretty regular to make sure it's doing what's it's supposed to. Just wish there was some way you could check the devices without having to credit your account every time.

Also it's a lot easier to check one machine every week for proper operation, then XX machines. Don't know about you, but I don't have time for that.
    When a machine is giving out 29 credits more then it's supposed to, that's a big problem regardless if it was only two isolated events.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/payrange-fees-increasing?tu=hocuslocus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.