Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to use PayPal even if being fined 2500 for a lie on pinside?”

• No 52 votes
      84%
    • Yes 10 votes
      16%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4B075BAB-0856-429C-AB23-613591181799.gif
    free_speech (resized).png
    demolitionman_sex.gif
    23d442cdba977f78 (resized).jpeg
    printer-goes-brrr-stock-market-down.gif
    90BF3439-FB10-4294-BCEE-AC26D584875A (resized).png
    who-watches-the-watchmen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-183039.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.13.56 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#39 1 year ago

But guys..if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. You do realize that whole 'obey the rules' goes both ways right? Since when did opposing hate speech become "woke"?

Now, on a serious note, I agree, this was not an accident. Someone within either didn't like it and leaked it, or they let it leak on purpose to see what the reaction would be. In a normal scenario, this is a fine print detail that would slip through with a whisper.

#68 1 year ago

I don't know about the rest of you, but this would do little to impact me. While I don't have many social media type accounts, my Paypal account is in no way tied to other accounts. They would need IRS level scanning and scrutiny to be able to do this.

My guess is this was supposed to be way more generic in terms of their clauses around what you can and can't do with your money....which has been in place for many years. Like, funding known hate groups as an example.

One other thing I thought of just now...they own Venmo? Venmo is very much social media oriented. It may even have had to do with things said and done on there.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Except its already happened.... I guess if you don't think crypto is the answer I would love to hear what your ideas are when big entities tell you you're not allowed to access your funds.
    I don't like hate speech either. When the definition of what is considered hate speech can be changed at a moments notice, or when what is considered socially taboo changes but you can still get in trouble for what you did years ago, or when enough people who just don't like you can mass report you, or the hundreds of other things that can,have, and do happen, thus causing you to lose what is rightfully yours IS A PROBLEM. Theres a ton of gray area as you said yourself. When powerful companies or individuals or groups, decide that grayness is now a little too black and white, they'll come for you too. This isn't a political thing or a what side of the spectrum do you fall into, this is something that should worry anyone. I can easily think of SEVERAL examples that span the entire political spectrum or are politically neutral in general, that could be considered hate speech or misinformation. I'm sorry, but I for one don't think you should have your monetary life cut out from under you for what any company happens to think.

I've said this before, but I keep my money buried in other peoples yards. They'll never think to look there!

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikepmcs:

I feel stupid and very lost here. I've read all of it and still don't comprehend what is happening.
    I use PayPal when I buy things on ebay and sideline swap used hockey gear site. I don't sell anything really, except on sideline swap hockey site every now and again. I've never transferred the money from account to the bank and just use it to buy gear.
    I thought it was the safest way to do transactions between seller and buyer and have used it that way for years.
    Someone educate me on a 3rd grade level please. My brain doesn't work the way it used to. Do I need to stop using PayPal?
    Thought it was safer than a credit card for merchant transactions due to 3rd party interaction.
    Please and thank you.
    r/
    Mike

You haven't missed anything yet. Nothing went into effect. Most of us really don't know exactly what the intention was here and are playing the guessing the worst possible scenario game. I would say no one agrees with the idea in general, but as to what extent or how they would do half of what we think they were attempting is unknown.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Except that no one that's a "free speech!!!!111" person actually understands it. I've gotten alot of mileage out of this over the years:[quoted image]

The thing is....there's a big push from the opposite side to change that...at least when it comes to the disinformation they want to spread.

And the "i know my rights' crowd..does not.

it's the same reason mods prevent us from having any meaningful political gun fights.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

The right to free speech being reduced to whether or not the government arrests you is a poisonously reductive form of the word "right".

But...that was its intent. So you can speak out to the powers that be without fear of prosecution (of course...that's in the light of day...what they do to you behind the scenes..well).

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

What opposite side? Regardless of political leanings, the definition is what it is. Again, mods on pinside aren't inhibiting your "right to free speech" (see below).

Take it up with the constitution. As much as you (or people) want it to mean "every stupid idea is of equal merit and value to society", it doesn't.

I was agreeing with you, not disagreeing. And what I was referring to is the laws Florida and Texas have tried to put in place to prevent social media platforms from 'selective/biased' censoring.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What “disinformation? Based on the kind you want to spread? Your side?
    The fact is both “sides” are looking to reign in big cap tech and only one “side” controls all of social media.
    There is a difference between “bomb making videos” and being censored for Covid research that doesn’t fit a narrative, OR giving Lord of the Rings a 1 star.
    When you go too far in overstepping the bounds then the FREE MARKET steps in when legitimate free speech gets trampled on by one “side”
    You mentioned Texas and Florida. It’s just the beginning.

We've reached that point where we can't discuss what is truly meant. I don't disagree with you, but it is more lop sided than even. I know you and I will disagree on that, so no point going there, but ask yourself who is responsible for policing people who don't tell the truth and purposely mislead people for their own gain? And who has the say what is truth? I do not think 'loudest mouth' is the correct answer. Nor is, "because I don't want to believe it is true" or "I read it on facebook".

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Can someone explain why it's cool here to disparage black people being aware of structural racism?
    I'm all for telling paypal to f_ck off, but this "anti woke" dogwhistle nonsense is alarming.

We can't really discuss it but it rhymes with "because they don't believe there is any".

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

When things go too far, like they have, the country gets have its say. We find out in less than 30 days what people think and want.

The problem here is your version of too far, and my version of my too far are on opposite ends of the spectrum most likely. You are either okay with complete asshats lying and being disparaging at the expense of others or you are not. If you are ONLY concerned about the economy, that doesn't excuse you from humanity and the people you decide on and what comes of it. We have already seen where that road is backtracking to. That does not mean everyone on the opposite side is good, but there is a very clear bad here, and it isn't the ones asking for equality.

As you allude to, the pendulum swings. Possibly for the first time ever though, there is a dramatic perspective difference in the people as to which way it has actually swung.

Anyway back on topic.

If everyone quits using Paypal, we are going to need a new transfer system for Pinside.

PinsidePal?

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

We all saw that here on Pinside during the Covid thread.

Intent and context is everything. This can be misunderstood in writing and emotional topics get personalized and make people jump to conclusions that may not be there.

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I find the "pendulum" metaphors only to be useful if we're talking about politics as sports teams, which is my least favourite way to approach anything in life. (Except for sports teams)

I was going to use a cargument..but everyone around here hates those

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Whatever's going on with paypal for whatever reasons, this thread is revealing market demand for a payment processor that rewards users for spreading misinformation rather than punishes them. Who wants to jump on zoom and get to work?

As someone who was just recently accused irrationally of hate hate speech when the context was completely not related to even the topic I was accused of, I can see where someones interpretation of things should not be left to the whims of someone making a profit off of it. Just like for profit prisons, and end of month police ticket quotas, there's a benefit to finding as many 'guilty' people as you can.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.