Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to use PayPal even if being fined 2500 for a lie on pinside?”

• No 52 votes
      84%
    • Yes 10 votes
      16%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4B075BAB-0856-429C-AB23-613591181799.gif
    free_speech (resized).png
    demolitionman_sex.gif
    23d442cdba977f78 (resized).jpeg
    printer-goes-brrr-stock-market-down.gif
    90BF3439-FB10-4294-BCEE-AC26D584875A (resized).png
    who-watches-the-watchmen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-183039.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.13.56 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#29 1 year ago

Not sure how you can defend Paypal and what they tried to do, they got caught and then realized what a disaster it caused.

The stock has been garbage, the company CEO Dan Shulman has done a terrible job, and I'm done with their woke BS too. App removed and paypal canceled for me.

There are plenty of other options.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Except there really aren't and that's the actual problem here... You can freak out over stupid TOS that never was going to fly and grossly misinterpreted to begin with but seriously, where are you going to go? I HATE PayPal, I mean I hate it... I go out of my way not to use their services but it's nearly impossible...
    The issue continues to be, and this stretches across a multitude of industries, the growing lack of competition and the complete refusal to use the anti-trust laws already on the books. M&As are slowly killing markets and that's the point which of course is not good for the consumer but oh well...
    Jeff

This is just another example of overstepping and Big tech deciding what you can say or not say. They are trying to define “disinformation”.

Not in this country. Some sites? Ok. Keep going down that road and see where it gets you

#94 1 year ago

ESG etc., look at what BlackRock, Statestreet and vanguard are doing. PayPal just now jumping into the fray.

Throw the Facebook/Meta shitshow into the dumpster fire as well.

Disney? Same thing. These companies are gonna have to learn the hard way.

This isn’t just a one off and the pendulum is about to swing back HARD

#96 1 year ago

Don’t forget to dump Venmo too. Owned by PayPal

#101 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

[quoted image]
    Hahaaaaa

That can’t be real?

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The thing is....there's a big push from the opposite side to change that...at least when it comes to the disinformation they want to spread.
    And the "i know my rights' crowd..does not.
    it's the same reason mods prevent us from having any meaningful political gun fights.

What “disinformation? Based on the kind you want to spread? Your side?

The fact is both “sides” are looking to reign in big cap tech and only one “side” controls all of social media.

There is a difference between “bomb making videos” and being censored for Covid research that doesn’t fit a narrative, OR giving Lord of the Rings a 1 star.

When you go too far in overstepping the bounds then the FREE MARKET steps in when legitimate free speech gets trampled on by one “side”

You mentioned Texas and Florida. It’s just the beginning.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

We've reached that point where we can't discuss what is truly meant. I don't disagree with you, but it is more lop sided than even. I know you and I will disagree on that, so no point going there, but ask yourself who is responsible for policing people who don't tell the truth and purposely mislead people for their own gain? And who has the say what is truth? I do not think 'loudest mouth' is the correct answer. Nor is, "because I don't want to believe it is true" or "I read it on facebook".

It comes down to personal responsibility. For your own words and actions.

That’s the only way. Instead of silencing one person or side you compete with them in the arena of ideas. Period

We are misled every single day from top to bottom. It’s not just one person or one side. Educate yourselves from multiple sources and decide what makes sense for you.

The blindfold is off Lady justice at the Federal level, laws aren’t being administered fairly.

At the local level? We get to at least pick where we want to live and under what circumstances. We all see it. As it’s gone too far the migration of people and companies do what’s in their best interest.

That choice no one can stop.

When things go too far, like they have, the country gets have its say. We find out in less than 30 days what people think and want.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Social media, YouTube etc aren't free speech platforms. They are private companies. They censor people to push an agenda and make money as well as prevent liability and losing money based on getting sued.
    It's all about getting more clicks and attention and making more revenue.
    Stirring shit and blocking fringe ideas just allows them to appeal to the most people and maximize revenue.
    I don't understand how people let their feelings get hurt so badly over social media policies.
    It's just business.
    Just like pinside should shut this thread down because it's a fucking pinball hobby website not Twitter.

It is just business. Meta, Disney, PayPal etc found that out.

Piss off 1/2 the country and you lose “business”. Keep it up

Michael Jordan understands he’d rather sell shoes to 100% of the market. Just biz

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

1/2 is a gargantuan stretch... It's more like 20%... Again assuming we're talking about the same group without explaining what we're saying for moderation reasons...
    Jeff

20% acting on abuse has a material effect on their business. The other 30% that believe what the 20% did but haven’t taken action yet because they too aren’t as connected to day to day BS like this.

It’s the 40% in the middle that aren’t paying attention to much or could give a shit about what’s happening.

When you don’t agree with a viewpoint the answer isn’t to try and silence it. Never is, never will be in this country

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

That may have been the case before Dobbs but it's possibly not the case now... We'll know in just under a month naturally but it would be sort of ironic if the other color cleaned house only because people felt like things should have been left alone...
    Jeff

Like Carville just said, they better get more of an argument that is fading like “Dobbs”.

He famously said in 1992, “it’s the economy stupid”.

We are about to find out who is ok with what and if people believe their lives are better off today?

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Can someone explain why it's cool here to disparage black people being aware of structural racism?

That’s just it right there, if people disagree that there is some kind of “structural racism” then you can’t respond to being called a racist.

The people who cried wolf racist story isn’t working now either.

You don’t get to assign the views of a few to the masses. Sorry.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

No arguments here... I'm just not sure in the wake of Dobbs whether economics are as much of a forefront as you'd expect them to be given the current situation. Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, it's just an interesting dynamic...
    Jeff

Well, we will see soon enough. People get that it’s up to the states to decide and Colorado agrees that abortion is the way to go. Ditto for Kansas and many other states that already have that right.

Inflation? That’s a big deal for everyone. Just saying.

At least we are able to have the discussion. More of the idea exchange should occur

#161 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Well yeah, there's no argument that structural racism doesn't exist. It does, unless you want to go full flat-earther here. You're letting a fear of being called 'racist' define how you react and absorb information that feels uncomfortable to you. Understanding structural forces isn't some wizard spell, it's a major academic thread that's evolved over a century. It'd be like dismissing "psychology" because Xenu said it was bad. (or more specifically, saying it isn't real!)
    We use lenses of understanding to comprehend the world around us. It is a one tool amongst many others. If the thought of it still gets you upset, there are massive amounts of academic literature on the topic I can point you to.

That’s just your opinion. Not fact. In the 1950s that was “structural racism”.

If you’d like to see it that way. That’s your choice. If it makes you feel better then let it out but that narrative is overused and overblown.

It’s not the world I live in. I do understand it’s a convenient hammer to paint a broad brush on people.

The US is the least racist country in the world. Look at our borders. Can’t just waltz into white Canada by the millions.

I have clients that have worked all over the world.

No comparison. The US is land of opportunity for all and most charitable by far.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

LMFAO.
    Bless you and have a lovely day.

LMFAO. Have a blessed day!

#167 1 year ago

Good discussion today. I like to hear all viewpoints and sides of an issue. It’s how we come together versus being divided by hate and closed off thinking.

I would like to make one final point since Cait brought it up, that seems obvious but we had a black president for 8 years. A black female VP and a Congress that includes people of many nationalities around the world. Muslim, Indian, Ukrainian, etc etc.

If the US is so bad why is everybody fleeing oppressed countries and trying to get in
    here?

I’m going to say this as a joke so don’t get all butt hurt, but the only black politician Canada ever had was when Trudeau dressed up in “black face”.

“Structural racism? I love Canada btw

As for moderation, I’ve had plenty over the years, it is what it is. The mods do a good job, some appear to let their bias show and it’s disappointing at the time but then you step back and realize it just doesn’t matter and I’ll take responsibility for my own actions. What happens to anybody else isn’t my concern.

All that said, I’m sure I’m about to get spanked again. . Thus, I’m out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.