Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to use PayPal even if being fined 2500 for a lie on pinside?”

• No 52 votes
      84%
    • Yes 10 votes
      16%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4B075BAB-0856-429C-AB23-613591181799.gif
    free_speech (resized).png
    demolitionman_sex.gif
    23d442cdba977f78 (resized).jpeg
    printer-goes-brrr-stock-market-down.gif
    90BF3439-FB10-4294-BCEE-AC26D584875A (resized).png
    who-watches-the-watchmen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221005-183039.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.13.56 AM (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 1 year ago

PayPal account canceled.

#2 1 year ago

Fuck all these woke companies and institutions!

#3 1 year ago

You've got to explain yourself a little more. Are you referring to the updated PAYPAL terms of service allowing them to deduct $2500 from your account if they decide that you've mispoken, be that politically or on pinside?

#5 1 year ago

PayPal gave me enough reasons to delete my account almost a decade ago.

#6 1 year ago

I just recently used paypal on a transaction.

1) I didnt realize I would pay taxes on any capital gains, I think that is the way it works. so if I bought a machine for lets say 10k, sold it for 12k, I would have to pay taxes on the 2k? That sucks

2) I cancelled selling a machine because the shipping was going to be a pain, refunded the money to the buyer, but now Im out the paypal fees which is like 350.00 sucks
    I will contact them and find out why

#7 1 year ago

They say it wasn’t intended to be…published….but the fact that it made it there in the first place is concern enough for a lot of people.

#8 1 year ago

Paypal felt the heat and changed this thankfully.
    You should be able to speak your opinion and not get fined $2500.00 or $8.25 Billion for that matter.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

They say it wasn’t intended to be…published….but the fact that it made it there in the first place is concern enough for a lot of people.

As as one corporate lawyer pointed out there wasn't any accident.

All this stuff is run through legal first, they got caught is the problem.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

It magically appeared out of nowhere. Nobody wrote it. Nobody Inserted it. Close your eyes and pretend it never happened. Reeeeeee….

#11 1 year ago

Best case scenario this is a sign of things to come be it PayPal or other smaller payment handlers/ processors with less to lose.

#13 1 year ago

All part of the Social Credit Score.

#14 1 year ago

The very fact that people didn't relax and their stock took a nose dive is why this went away.

#15 1 year ago

I have actually used PayPal twice this year. It’s my wife’s account. What’s the odds of me getting her to cancel. A quick number crunch 0.3 repeating of course. Not going to happen.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

I have actually used PayPal twice this year. It’s my wife’s account. What’s the odds of me getting her to cancel. A quick number crunch 0.3 repeating of course. Not going to happen.

shut shut it down! Lol

#19 1 year ago

Paypal account since '01. Still have it, but I'll tell you this was sent to me in August out of the blue.

Outside spammer masked as PayPal throws an invoice for $530 in my notification. Once you get it, it's there and not deletable. Just an "Accept" button. No "Cancel" or "Delete". Called PayPal. They have no workaround unless the invoice expires. Anyone can send anyone anything. I'm sure there's a TON of people that fall for it daily.

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.13.56 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-11 at 9.13.56 AM (resized).png
    #20 1 year ago

I’m trying to get away from it but the problem is so many merchants use it - many use it exclusively.

Contact merchants and tell them they need to offer alternate payment methods or you’re not going to buy from them!

#21 1 year ago

I'd like an alternative too. Their website is also complete garbage - slow, obtuse and everything is buried under entirely too many layers of clicking.

#22 1 year ago

After reading the article, it does sound like they intended to put that in their policy and backtracked as soon as it was discovered by customers.

#23 1 year ago

Don't worry, its only a matter of time until it starts happening to your credit cards, bank accounts, ect.

Hope you've got some crypto stashed away

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Don't worry, its only a matter of time until it starts happening to your credit cards, bank accounts, ect.

We are/will be 100% controlled.

Little off topic-An American in China walks in a cross walk and steps out just a bit to let other people pass by. He checked his bank account a week later and noticed a deduction. Fined for not staying in the crossing...

#25 1 year ago

For anyone curious, here was the original text:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220927223312/https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/ua/pdf/US/en/acceptableuse-full-110322.pdf

Compared to the current policy, section 5 is (or would've been) completely new. All the other language is identical.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The current policy:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#restricted-activities
    https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

So I would have to agree that a whole new section like that probably was not an "error".

However, other payment processors do have some similar language about not allowing their services to be used for illegal drugs or by hate groups or whatnot. I suspect that's what the intention was, but it seems like someone went a little far and/or was too broad.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

We are/will be 100% controlled.

Well for most people that will probably be the case since they can't live without everything being digital or rely on Siri/Alexa to influence and spy on them. Common sense, critical thinking and trusting your own observations is definitely getting lost for most.

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/10/09/driver-dies-after-gps-leads-him-bridge-washed-out-years-before-officials-say/

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, other payment processors do have some similar language about not allowing their services to be used for illegal drugs or by hate groups or whatnot.

For a company to try and label what a hate group is just because they disagree with certain speech or ideas is the problem.

#28 1 year ago

Things like this are NOT a mistake. I worked in a major corporation all of my life and I can tell you for a fact, anything like this that gets published has first had to be approved by multiple entities as well as the legal department. It also probably had to have been run by a department to determine the correct translations into various languages for the multi-lingual instructions.

This was a defined and deliberate policy change that was only retracted when a lot of people got up in arms about it, cancelled their Paypal accounts and the stock dropped 5% or more. I am willing to bet that the announcement might have gone away, but the corporate sentiment remains. When the dust settles, they will continue to look for ways to implement their progressive woke agenda.

I was done with Paypal several years ago for a number of reasons. But if I wasn't before, this would be the proverbial straw that broke this camel's back. There will always be a-holes trying to screw with my beliefs and way of life. But that doesn't mean I have to send them money to help them do it!

#29 1 year ago

Not sure how you can defend Paypal and what they tried to do, they got caught and then realized what a disaster it caused.

The stock has been garbage, the company CEO Dan Shulman has done a terrible job, and I'm done with their woke BS too. App removed and paypal canceled for me.

There are plenty of other options.

#30 1 year ago

Notice how PayPal's retraction statements don't explain how the text got in there. It was on purpose. They have been deplatforming people for a while now. I just closed my account that I've had since 2002. Twenty years of consistent use and I'm done. I will never trust them again.

#31 1 year ago

What a bunch of sheep letting the media rage run thru your head consuming your tiny little minds and controling your actions.

Bunch of triggered betas.

Screenshot_20221005-183039.pngScreenshot_20221005-183039.png
    #32 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Notice how PayPal's retraction statements don't explain how the text got in there. It was on purpose. They have been deplatforming people for a while now. I just closed my account that I've had since 2002. Twenty years of consistent use and I'm done. I will never trust them again.

They will still do it and had every intention of doing it because they stated they would. There was a report and immediate backlash affecting the stock price so they backed out. There will be a small windfall and they will lose the accounts of those paying attention and then they will quietly reinstate the policy.

#33 1 year ago

I love PayPal ….. from my comment I’m hoping to get +$2,500.00

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

I love PayPal ….. from my comment I’m hoping to get +$2,500.00

According to PayPal, the $2,500 rule was itself disinformation, so it seems like they owe us all $2,500.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

PayPal account canceled.

LOL... This is about as dumb of a cancel culture reaction as there ever has been... Oh wait, I thought you people were against cancel culture? Naturally hypocrisy is a core feature of your brand so I'm not surprised... It has been entertaining though watching your heads collectively explode...

Jeff

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Hope you've got some crypto stashed away

That's simply BS. It really is. FFS people... Crypto??? ROFLMAO... Right... Yeah that's a safe place to store your money...

Jeff

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kderrick:

They will still do it and had every intention of doing it because they stated they would. There was a report and immediate backlash affecting the stock price so they backed out. There will be a small windfall and they will lose the accounts of those paying attention and then they will quietly reinstate the policy.

Hey where do you buy your tin foil at? I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible price... LOL

Jeff

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

There are plenty of other options.

Except there really aren't and that's the actual problem here... You can freak out over stupid TOS that never was going to fly and grossly misinterpreted to begin with but seriously, where are you going to go? I HATE PayPal, I mean I hate it... I go out of my way not to use their services but it's nearly impossible...

The issue continues to be, and this stretches across a multitude of industries, the growing lack of competition and the complete refusal to use the anti-trust laws already on the books. M&As are slowly killing markets and that's the point which of course is not good for the consumer but oh well...

Jeff

#39 1 year ago

But guys..if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. You do realize that whole 'obey the rules' goes both ways right? Since when did opposing hate speech become "woke"?

Now, on a serious note, I agree, this was not an accident. Someone within either didn't like it and leaked it, or they let it leak on purpose to see what the reaction would be. In a normal scenario, this is a fine print detail that would slip through with a whisper.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

But guys..if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. You do realize that whole 'obey the rules' goes both ways right? Since when did opposing hate speech become "woke"?

That only applies to a certain group of people in a certain situation, don't you know that? Otherwise, the hypocrisy wins again...

Jeff

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

The local Christian school where I live was recently labeled a hate group by Facebook for teaching the same things Christian schools have been teaching for centuries. There's a real problem when you're doing "nothing wrong" and then the powers that be decide that what you've been doing all along is now wrong.

I don't know what PayPal considers "misinformation", but they've deplatformed users for as little as saying that there's a difference between men and women. I wouldn't trust their judgment.

#42 1 year ago
    who-watches-the-watchmen (resized).jpgwho-watches-the-watchmen (resized).jpg
    #43 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

The local Christian school where I live was recently labeled a hate group by Facebook for teaching the same things Christian schools have been teaching for centuries. There's a real problem when you're doing "nothing wrong" and then the powers that be decide that what you've been doing all along is now wrong.
    I don't know what PayPal considers "misinformation", but they've deplatformed users for as little as saying that there's a difference between men and women. I wouldn't trust their judgment.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe they should have been labeled that way? Define "nothing wrong"?

Look, to be abundantly clear here and I hope this is clear enough, I DO NOT believe social media companies should be censoring speech unless it's hate speech and even then you're already in troubled waters because while some hate speech is obvious, most of it is in that grey area. There's no perfect solution here, there just isn't. Don't like it? Start your own social media company only that's not really possible due to the monopolies the government has allowed in this space... Sadly those monopolies aren't going anywhere...

Jeff

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Don't like it? Start your own social media company

Those of us who don't like it are moving to other companies and platforms and closing our accounts, and yet you're here ridiculing us for it.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Those of us who don't like it are moving to other companies and platforms and closing our accounts, and yet you're here ridiculing us for it.

I'm curious what other platforms and companies you're moving to? There's not very many options AFAIK, and PayPal knows it

#46 1 year ago

Wow, that's stupid. Paypal has been sucking for years and keeps getting worse.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

PayPal isn't a social media company for one... Two, this thread is entirely about that so if you want to go there, lets go there...

Cancel culture in general is BS, doesn't matter who's doing it, it's still BS... Same goes for this new enthusiasm for book banning, doesn't mater who's doing it, it's still wrong... Now here's some hypocrisy from the left (and while I don't identify myself with the left, I'm guilty on this one and I'll admit it completely), you can't complain about cancel culture with much sincerity when you also vote with your wallet accordingly. Perhaps the best solution here, and yes I know I'm living in a fantasy land, is for corporations to STOP picking sides... Stop being political, stop being self appointed gatekeepers of the "truth" and what's "fair"... Get rid of safe spaces, return college campuses to institutes of higher learning not victimhood training camps, and remind everyone you do not have a right to not be offended... Yes I know I kind of rambled on that one but as much as I find this entire situation to be hilarious and been having fun poking at some of you over it, I actually do get it... I guess for me I am trying to stop "voting with my wallet" per say... I'm more trying to move people past this idea that corporations need to be anything but corporations...

Jeff

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious what other platforms and companies you're moving to? There's not very many options AFAIK, and PayPal knows it

And that's the problem right there...

Jeff

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Zelle is becoming very common.

I think venmo is owned by PayPal? Not sure but that's another thing that's out there.

On the business side, Parallel Economy exists because this problem has been growing for some time.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I think venmo is owned by PayPal? Not sure but that's another thing that's out there.

It's a weird thing where they kind of bought them, but started like another company that "actually" owns them.
    The problem is competitors just get bought out. Problem unless you're thinking of starting such a business jjst to get bought out

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal?hl=smp14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.