Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tomm1963
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So sick of paying Paypal $ 1000 plus per month a year and having them hold your money hostage at any time they choose for whatever reason - requiring me to call in, spend my time on the phone, etc... Bottom line, I'm sick of Paypal.

What electronic money transfer websites have any of you used for either personal and business uses... Any better than Paypal on services offered or fee structure ? Obviously a bit hurdle is everyone is on Paypal and it's widely utilized, might be an insurmountable hurdle to use something else for business purposes ?

Thanks for any help in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Square, in my opinion leave PayPal for eBay transations.

#3 6 years ago

I use Square in my business...I pay much less than I was with my previous provider, but in all fairness I dont use paypal for my business so I dont know how it compares to that as far as fees.

#4 6 years ago

What issue does paypal solve for you? Accepting credit card payments? Accepting non-traditional payments? Knowing the hole Paypal fills for you will help identify a replacement.

In the era of PCI compliance, paying a fee to a payment processor that deals with all the PCI issues for you is probably a decent investment.

#5 6 years ago

Joe, set up a merchant account with your local bank.

#6 6 years ago

Again not business but I've used Venmo fairly regularly now and get my money usually into my bank account within 24 hours.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What issue does paypal solve for you? Accepting credit card payments? Accepting non-traditional payments? Knowing the hole Paypal fills for you will help identify a replacement.
    In the era of PCI compliance, paying a fee to a payment processor that deals with all the PCI issues for you is probably a decent investment.

This is the perfect reply. What exactly are you using paypal for? If its to accept credit cards, there are much better options out there, depending on the volume you are doing in credit card sales. I worked at a large national bank for over 8 years, and i will say square killed us when it came to merchant services stuff.

#8 6 years ago

Square Cash will deposit funds almost immediately. $2,500 daily limit though.

Marcus

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Again not business but I've used Venmo fairly regularly now and get my money usually into my bank account within 24 hours.

Great for transactions $3k and under!

#10 6 years ago

Why are they holding your money? Sounds like you haven't done too many transactions (<20) or shipping to unconfirmed addresses. Anything over $250 has to be by a shipper that uses PO's (RL Carriers/STI) .

I just bought a $2k 3d printer. The first company I went to didn't take PayPal, so my business went to someone who did. Just saying.

BTW I have never had a problem, but not saying some people do (Although I think Pinside blows it out of proportion how easy it is to manipulate). For me Paypal is huge. I hate typing my CC info on some unfamiliar site, so it's convenient. They also offer 6 months same as cash, which I always take advantage of. In my case I look for businesses that accept it.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Why are they holding your money? Sounds like you haven't done too many transactions IMO.
    I just bought a $2k 3d printer. The first company I went to didn't take PayPal, so my business went to someone who did. Just saying.

That's the problem. Buyers want to use Pay Pal. Sometimes the voice is to offer it or lose the transaction. If you have ever had a transaction go bad through them you would understand why an alternative is needed.

One of the problems is that Pay Pal is not regulated the way a bank or other financial institutions are. Upside is that it's sometimes easy to make a sale to someone who has money sitting in their PayPal account even though the smart buyer would withdraw the money and pay using a credit card even if it's through Pay Pal.

I strongly dislike them but don't believe they will be displaced anytime soon. Heck, I'm still waiting for a decent ebay alternative for personal use, not business.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

That's the problem. Buyers want to use Pay Pal. Sometimes the voice is to offer it or lose the transaction. If you have ever had a transaction go bad through them you would understand why an alternative is needed.

But if you follow the rules you can minimize them. I've had to submit paperwork with Amex and other card services to prove a purchase was made. Provided the original order, submitted shipping documents etc.

#13 6 years ago

try escrow.com

#14 6 years ago

Not sure why paypal is holding your money I've never had that happen before and I use paypal a lot..

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Why are they holding your money? Sounds like you haven't done too many transactions (<20) or shipping to unconfirmed addresses. Anything over $250 has to be by a shipper that uses PO's (RL Carriers/STI) .
    BTW I have never had a problem, but not saying some people do (Although I think Pinside blows it out of proportion how easy it is to manipulate). For me Paypal is huge. I hate typing my CC info on some unfamiliar site, so it's convenient. They also offer 6 months same as cash, which I always take advantage of. In my case I look for businesses that accept it.

out of curiosity, what options did the first company offer? cash and check only? credit card by phone? did they have an online eCommerce site you could order through? Any particular reason why paypal was the make or brake for you?

Edit: after rereading i see it was mainly the convince of an easy check out.

#16 6 years ago

Payoneer. 5 out of 6 Nigerian Princes prefer Payoneer

#17 6 years ago

Hi Joe,

Have you asked PayPal for an account review?
    I was having similar issues till I gained a "higher" internal position, 90 percent of the BS
    went away, had a rep, and number with
    Minimal wait.
    Of course, I had to politely threaten leaving...

Art

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Not sure why paypal is holding your money I've never had that happen before and I use paypal a lot..

Paypal is notorious for doing it, especially with large transactions or a large volume of smaller transactions.

I've heard of several small businesses who were almost ruined because paypal wouldn't release the funds.

#19 6 years ago

I used http://www.safefunds.com/ on my first pinball sale. it went flawless.

#20 6 years ago

I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of unhelpful "only deal in person with cash" posts.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from tryton1000:

I used http://www.safefunds.com/ on my first pinball sale. it went flawless.

The OP is a distributor. A person-to-person transaction or escrow service probably isn't what he's looking for.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of unhelpful "only deal in person with cash" posts.

Cash on the glass. Lol

#23 6 years ago

Cash and Carry

#24 6 years ago

Sorry if I’m missing something but since you’re a distributor, aka business, why don’t you take credit card payments directly instead of going through PayPal? Surely it wouldn’t cost you more than the PayPal fees.

#25 6 years ago

Concerning payments to a distributor.
    I have never used pay pal and don't have an account.

I either send a check or do a wire I'm good with either. I get a lower cost than using credit card.

#26 6 years ago

Our web developers are a fan of Stripe for payment processing.

#27 6 years ago

I only accept Bitcoin

#28 6 years ago

Thanks all - Prime example of my headaches - I've never had any issue - it's just them sticking their noses into your business... I get fraud is rampant and I guess it's good they are careful, how about this one... I sold a bunch of pre-orders lately of course with POTC and AFMRs too - so I get a bunch of $ 1000 deposits and I get an email saying they are holding thousands of dollars in funds until I send them copies of my invoices to show I own the property I'm selling... Privacy anyone ? What business is it of theirs ? Nobody's lodging any sort of complaint, but they just think - hey we should hold this guys money hostage until we bust his balls. I guess given the uptick in transactions they have to look at it... But I pay them $ 1000 plus a month, have accounts for 20 years on both personal and business accounts, great credit score, etc.. no reason for this other than they can. There's been other little things over the years but how would you feel if you put money into your local bank when to withdraw I and they said, oh we need to see your paystub to show where you earned this... Ridiculous.

I primarily use them for payments on games - mostly deposits as I don't want to be using them for bigger final payments due to cost - mostly we then use checks and wire transfers. They also are my credit card provider just out to convenience but frankly I don't get a lot of credit card transactions... I just haven't had the time to find another provider to do so as it's not a big deal.

My main concern is the fact everyone has paypal and when I need to accept payments I can't go tell people to go sign up with another service. Unless ones like square etc... don't require that and I can just invoice people... We are all so used to just saying 'paypal me $x to this email'... and it's done.

I guess I'm stuck with them. I can deal with them holding money here and there, but if they do that to businesses that live hand to mouth day to day they'd put them out of business.

Rant over ! : )
    Joe

#29 6 years ago

I wont use paypal, they are Anti seller.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from tryton1000:

I wont use paypal, they are Anti seller.

Yeah i agree paypal sucks.... They hold your money and make jump threw hoops to get it. That is why i don't use them much anymore other for small things. http://www.paypalsucks.com/

#31 6 years ago

Barter.
    Joe,
    I ll clean your warehouse once every month for the next 10 years for a POTC.

#32 6 years ago

Paypal sucks

May try direct wire transfers. I bank with Wells Fargo and anyone can go into a local branch and make a transfer. You can offer a 3% discount to encourage direct wire to offset the number of people who want to use a credit card. You will be surprised how many people would like to save 3%.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Paypal is notorious for doing it, especially with large transactions or a large volume of smaller transactions.
    I've heard of several small businesses who were almost ruined because paypal wouldn't release the funds.

The only time I had a problem was through Ebay when using Paypal. Since I don't sell a lot through Ebay they held the money for 30 days. Never will I use Ebay again.

#34 6 years ago

Dwolla

https://www.dwolla.com/

Direct money transfer and minimal cost

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal-sucks-any-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.