3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cash_on_the_glass.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Im selling a pin on Kijiji and a prospective buyer seems very eager to get my paypal account to transfer the money to me. They could be eager to buy the pin or, Im not sure? Is there a scam with starts with getting my paypal account?

#2 3 years ago

It's a scam. If he's serious about buying it from you get him to EMT you the money.

#3 3 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. We sold something recently online and had a few queries, as well as a barrage of "I'll buy it! Do you take PayPal?" Emails.
    Not sure how the fake PayPal works.
    If someone can explain, that would be cool.

#4 3 years ago

PayPal is safe for the most part. Make sure you have proper shipping documents from a reputable shipper. If they are picking up in person, do not take PayPal. Only ship to confirmed PayPal address.

It's real easy for people to tell you to only accept wire, which is great if you are on the receiving end. No protection whatsover for the buyer though, so you will have a much harder sell IMO. PayPal is much safer then some will lead you to believe.

I have sold lots of pins from 1k to 8k using PayPal. Take good pictures (I prefer to use a current newspaper or something that confirms pictures are recent)

#5 3 years ago

They pay with PayPal get the machine then put in a claim saying they never received it and get there money back I've heard. This is when they pick it up in person.

#6 3 years ago

Signature on receipt is technically required for anything over $250.

#7 3 years ago

He does not want your paypal account...If he wants to scam you. He will just pay you the $3k (or whatever) via paypal, come pick up the pinball machine. Then contact paypal and do a paypal payment chargeback, claiming WHATEVER he wants to. Furthermore, If he has is paypal account linked to his credit card and the funds have been transferred from that card he has up to 1 year to do a chargeback.

Basically he can call his credit card company on day 364 and say he did not notices that the cabinet was chipped in the back, and you had told him it was not chipped anywhere and they will immediately reverse the payment. Then... I shit you not... "suggest" to him that he return the item. If he does not they do not care and it is a civil matter... meaning you can sue him (spend $5k on a lawyer to get a $3k game back). He can basically claim anything, including he never picked up the machine in the first place.

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL ON A PINBALL MACHINE.

If he has paypal money in his PP account tell him to transfer it to his bank and pay you in cash. it takes only 3 days for a paypal transfer to his bank.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

PayPal is safe for the most part. Make sure you have proper shipping documents from a reputable shipper. If they are picking up in person, do not take PayPal. Only ship to confirmed PayPal address.
    It's real easy for people to tell you to only accept wire, which is great if you are on the receiving end. No protection whatsover for the buyer though, so you will have a much harder sell IMO. PayPal is much safer then some will lead you to believe.
    I have sold lots of pins from 1k to 8k using PayPal. Take good pictures (I prefer to use a current newspaper or something that confirms pictures are recent)

I am sorry you are wrong. Paypal is not safe for the seller....very safe for a buyer. Sounds like you have never been screwed before, good for you. Paypal would be safe if they gave a damn about anyone but the buyer.

Shipping on a pin via freight would be $375-$500 round trip. who do you think gets to pay that if the buyer changes his mind on delivery?

Sorry to come off negative on this post but I was on the business end of a $25k+ charge back because the guy had buyers remorse 73 days after the sale, it took me a year to finally get everything settled with the guy, in the end cost me over $5k. He literally had NO case, but it did not matter to the credit card company that 99.9% of the time sides with the buyer.

#9 3 years ago

If one does sell through Paypal, one form of protection a seller can have on his account, is when you link to a Bank account,
    have your bank execute a Block on Paypal. they wont be able to auto withdraw funds on a dispute.
    If even more concerned, withdraw the funds and close the account, as well as block the account.

Many times its a scam, especially eager, fast, and no questions asked by buyer. The easy ones, are where they offer to pay more.

#10 3 years ago

Great info and wisdom out there, thank you for the quick response everyone!!! My spidy sense is tingling here, I am selling a really nice TZ and ones in this condition dont come up often at all. As the old rule goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

Great info and wisdom out there, thank you for the quick response everyone!!! My spidy sense is tingling here, I am selling a really nice TZ and ones in this condition dont come up often at all. As the old rule goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

You are selling TZ, it is a very popular machine so no wonder someone is eager to buy it. Do not fear the sale.. fear the payment method. Just tell him you can not accept paypal, if wants the machine and he is legit he will find a method to buy it anyway. If he does not someone else will.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

You are selling TZ, it is a very popular machine so no wonder someone is eager to buy it. Do not fear the sale.. fear the payment method. Just tell him you can not accept paypal, if wants the machine and he is legit he will find a method to buy it anyway. If he does not someone else will.

Agreed, Im not in a rush, its a TZ afterall, was just playing it...

#13 3 years ago

I've accepted paypal a couple of times, but only after meeting someone, since I have a high confidence in my ability to read people. But in general, I believe pinball buying/selling between collectors should be cash only. I personally would never buy a machine without seeing it in person, so if the buyer sees it and it is a cash deal, the reality is no one should get burned.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If one does sell through Paypal, one form of protection a seller can have on his account, is when you link to a Bank account,
    have your bank execute a Block on Paypal. they wont be able to auto withdraw funds on a dispute.
    If even more concerned, withdraw the funds and close the account, as well as block the account.
    Many times its a scam, especially eager, fast, and no questions asked by buyer. The easy ones, are where they offer to pay more.

This will work to safeguard your $$ but if paypal determines that a chargeback is due they will come after you for the money including turning you over to collections or suing you (depending on the amount).

#16 3 years ago

knock on wood, but I've never had any problems using paypal when shipping or receiving machines. If you have evidence like a receipt from the shipping company when it was picked up/delivered I really don't see how a credit card company or paypal can validate a charge back.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

knock on wood, but I've never had any problems using paypal when shipping or receiving machines. If you have evidence like a receipt from the shipping company when it was picked up/delivered I really don't see how a credit card company or paypal can validate a charge back.

or make them send you the paypal as a gift. you cant dispute a gift...

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

Yeah but buying a $3K-$8K machine is too risky as a buyer to gift unless you know the guy.

#19 3 years ago

Where is the buyer located?

Paypal accounts do get hacked.

#20 3 years ago

yeah, as soon as I said no paypal, all of a sudden, they "buyer" was no longer interested.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

You can still do a chargeback if the funding source was a credit card.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

100% wrong.

This is crazy dangerous advice!!!!

Just because Paypal does not let you dispute a gift, that does NOT stop someone from doing a chargeback on their credit card.

People loose $10000s of dollars every day because the **know** that you can not dispute a gift.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

100% wrong.
    This is crazy dangerous advice!!!!
    Just because Paypal does not let you dispute a gift, that does NOT stop someone from doing a chargeback on their credit card.
    People loose $10000s of dollars every day because the **know** that you can not dispute a gift.

ok if there picking it up you make them sign a receipt marked sales final machine is as is!.

#24 3 years ago

Scammers tried this on me once. What they do is send you a fake payment slip (usually with an old out of date paypal logo) to your paypal email and request you wire transfer a fee of like 300 to a "PayPal representitive" who will then release the funds to your account. This is bogus.
    PayPal never requires money to recieve money. It's comical. Guy argues with me for three days he was legit.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

ok if there picking it up you make them sign a receipt marked sales final machine is as is!.

No, that does not work either.

Paypal does not accept non-digital tracking delivery verification.

-

You can have the buyer sign a 20 page document saying "as is" "no warranty" "picked up in person", Paypal will not honor it.

#26 3 years ago

Question from a different angle.

Has anyone been talked into a bank transfer of funds to buy a game (since seller's always reluctant or want take paypal) , done the transfer then never heard back and OUT THE MONEY?

just curious if that has happened to anyone here? seems like that would be rare in this group but as we see scammers are all over and starting to get creative.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

Has anyone been talked into a bank transfer of funds to buy a game (since seller's always reluctant or want take paypal) , done the transfer then never heard back and OUT THE MONEY?

Yep, common scam.

Read this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#28 3 years ago

thanks for that other thread

will "get my read on" later

Here is another angle at a way to loose money to a "legitimate" pinball seller:

You research a guy and he's legit.... okay you bank transfer over $5 K for said game. The Bank account is joint linked between husband, wife, maybe a parent or kid. Wife takes off, bitter breakup, she drains account. Sadly the seller is in serious financial and emotional situation and you are caught in the drama being "owed a pinball". I know it may seem far fetched and all, but HEY ITS MY hard earned FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS being thrown around with the only security being the best research I could do on a guy. SUDDENLY cash upon pickup seems real cut and dry the only way to go!

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

SUDDENLY cash upon pickup seems real cut and dry the only way to go!

Cash is best, but you can also use an IES and both parties are protected.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

I does not matter, Vid is 100% right on this. In my case, upon delivery, he signed a receipt accepting it, that outlined it was an as-is item, that he had examined it and it was identical to the one as described on ebay, and that he was fully satisfied with it. (That delivery transaction was even recorded on cellphone) that mean nothing to his CC company he only had to claim it was "not as described"...that was it.

Credit Card companies DO NOT CARE about anyone but their client. Had this guy been in another country I would have been totally screwed.

#31 3 years ago

The only way I will ever sell a game is the buyer comes and looks at the game. They give me cash, they take the game.

Last time I sold a game I had some guy saying he wanted the game. He was coming to get it. 2 days later he is texting me non stop saying he can't get to me to pick up the game for a few days. He can pay pal me the money to hold it. He lived an hour away.

I told him I only excepted cash.
    He just kept texting me over and over offering to paye with pay pal. I told him cash in hand or nothing.
    I just called the next guy in line.
    He was at my house in about an hour with cash in hand and no bs.

Money talks. You want the game show up in person with cash ready to pick up the game.

Screw e pay and paypal.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can still do a chargeback if the funding source was a credit card.

There's no point sending money on Paypal as a gift and using a credit card, they charge you the fees you were trying to avoid anyway.

#33 3 years ago

Amex is the same way. It will always protect the buyer. I am currently in dispute over a few pins that i picked up at an auction. Said to be working and pictures appeared working, but total shit. Needless to say my first and last online auction.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Amex is the same way. It will always protect the buyer. I am currently in dispute over a few pins that i picked up at an auction. Said to be working and pictures appeared working, but total shit. Needless to say my first and last online auction.

That my friends is why its two things: Buyer beware- physically be there to inspect and cash on the barrel head.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

There's no point sending money on Paypal as a gift and using a credit card, they charge you the fees you were trying to avoid anyway.

They are not using "gift" to avoid a fee, they are using it because fools believe that you can't dispute a gift.

After they get the item, they file a dispute with the credit card company and you loose the game and the money both.

#36 3 years ago

i pay a lot of stuf by paypal to online stores,
    but i never pay big soms of money with paypal.

if i would buy something more then100/200 i give the guy cash.
    like i did with second hand car and pinball
    is also nice to see a little smile wile they hold the money makes it more of a trade.

and then the wife comes and grasps it all away! lol

i wouldnt feel right getting payed by paypal for that kinda money,
    just give crispy cash bills

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

IES? What's that?

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cash on the glass! "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS. PUBLIC AND PRIVATE".

Cash_on_the_glass.JPG

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Cash on the glass! "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS. PUBLIC AND PRIVATE".

Did you really pay that much for a 4-Square?

#41 3 years ago

He was the seller.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Did you really pay that much for a 4-Square?

I heard that is what they go for on eBay. Did I get ripped off? I was going to ask if it would fit into a 1971 Pinto (the hatch, not that roomy wagon)

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I heard that is what they go for on eBay. Did I get ripped off? I was going to ask if it would fit into a 1971 Pinto (the hatch, not that roomy wagon)

You should upgrade your ride to an AMC pacer if you want a sweet hatchback.

#44 3 years ago

I was always partial to the Gremlin

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside