Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by madtown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a Williams Space Station for sale on my local Craigslist.
Had a guy reply on my smartphone via text message asking me to reply to him on GMAIL
I did and this is what I got.
I know this has got to be a scam but what is his angle here? If I can verify the funds in my Paypal account before his "mover" picks it up, what do I have to fear?

Original Reply from Buyer below:

Thanks I'm just asking about it to make sure its in good condition as im buying it for my wife and she doesn't know about it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it. Im okay with the price and condition,I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal).. Do you have a PayPal account?Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal.my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account. So if you're ready to move forward, just fill out the info below so I can work everything out!

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
PayPal Acct Name:
Firm Price:
Home Address/ Pickup location Info:
Cell Phone Number#:

Hope to read back from you!

#2 4 years ago

Those are keywords of a scammer: My shipper will be coming to pick it up.
Paypal may indeed credit your account with the funds based on a check they received from the scammer.
Once the check bounces, you will be responsible for the bad funds fees and your pin will be gone.

But, more likely they are simply trying to get you to email them with your personal email address so they can sell it. That's why they include their address instead of craigs email system.

#3 4 years ago

Don't use paypal for a large transaction like this. The buyer can easily dispute it, issue a chargeback, and get their money back after it's been picked up, so you would be out both the machine and the money.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

#4 4 years ago

100% scam

#5 4 years ago

Or he has a sweet wife that loves space station...

#6 4 years ago

listen to Forceflow and check out vids link

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

what is his angle here?

When you can't see it, is when they get you.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Those are keywords of a scammer: My shipper will be coming to pick it up.

Additional keywords: "Im okay with the price and condition"

Not even making a joke about pinball buyers always wanting to go over things with a fine toothed comb or bartering. It's just straight scam speak.

#9 4 years ago

Hope to read back from you? Oh come on. Scammer language all over the place. Eventually they'll refine their tactics but yeah, this is a scam.

#10 4 years ago

I'm selling some high priced basketball tickets on Craigslist and I got this via text:

I'm comfortable with the condition of the Item And the Price I'll add an extra $50 to the asking price so you can keep it for me. Also about the payment i will paying Via CHASIERS CHECK. And it will be mail out to you Next day and I won't arrange for the pickup until check clears. So Let me have your full name and address for the check to be send to you ASAP! I'll mail it via Fedex or USPS priority mail and update you with the tracking number. Thanks

Uh what? They are tickets. Condition of the item? I just laughed at them. Try harder guys.

#11 4 years ago

Have him overnight a Postal Money Order...

#12 4 years ago

No question, absolutely a scam.

I've seen other attempts with identical language so the "seller" just did a cut and paste.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I wasn't going to do the deal.
It smelled scam all over it from the minute he emailed me.
Just was curious how the paypal thing would have worked. Now I see...

#14 4 years ago

Too funny, I'm helping a friend sell a unique expensive piece of furniture and I just got this email:

Thank you for getting back to me.well i want to believe and trust what you said about it.I'm ready to pay the price, i want to buy this for my Dad as his birthday gift. I am a marine biologist I work mostly on the sea, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i managed to check this advert and send you an email regarding it so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with PayPal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make this business as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears . i will like to see more pics if you have more.. write back with the total price and your PayPal email account so i can make payment asap.
Hoping for an eloquent business with you.

Details needed are

Your Paypal email address:

Firm price:

Full Name:

Cell phone number:

Of course I knew right away what this is. A marine biologist who in his downtime shops Grand Rapids MI Craigslist for rare furniture! What are the odds!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Scammer language all over the place. Eventually they'll refine their tactics

They don't ever refine the scammer language or tactics, because they are only looking for responses from the dumbest people.

They don't want average people who will wise up 1/2 way through the transaction.

The emails are idiotic so that only idiots will answer.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They don't ever refine the scammer language or tactics, because they are only looking for responses from the dumbest people.
They don't want average people who will wise up 1/2 way through the transaction.

But I see them improving from years ago. They are using PayPal tactics and are wording things in a way that give some people pause. Using someone who was raised here or whose first language was English may catch more fish. Not that I want that mind you.

#17 4 years ago

Tell them sure as long as you use the friends/family option!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Using someone who was raised here or whose first language was English may catch more fish.

Using better language skills would get more RESPONSES, but the scammers don't want to waste time with more responses that won't follow through to the end.

They need to weed out the smarter people with the poorly worded emails, so that the only people who respond are the dumbest of the dumb.

Like a credit card offer that only goes to the richest zip codes, the scammers "pre qualify" you by writing emails that no normally intelligent person would respond to.

#19 4 years ago

The last message in this thread should be this:

MAN,,, if you even hesitate to think of thinking this is legit... you fall in the category of "A SUCKER IS BORN EVERYDAY"...... today is your birthday.... happy birthday to ya...

anyone that wants you to "email them at a .gmail address".... oh man.. I am just done typing ..... dive in buddy!! drink the water (and give your $$ & pin away)

#20 4 years ago

Microsoft did a study on the scam emails a few years back.

Here is the summary:

"
Why Do Nigerian Scammers Say They are From Nigeria?

Finally, this approach suggests an answer to the question in the title. Far-fetched tales of West African riches strike most as comical. Our analysis suggests that is an advantage to the attacker, not a disadvantage. Since his attack has a low density of victims the Nigerian scammer has an over-riding need to reduce false positives. By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor.

"

LOL

#21 4 years ago

Its not a Paypal scam, its a cragslist scam.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

The last message in this thread should be this:
MAN,,, if you even hesitate to think of thinking this is legit... you fall in the category of "A SUCKER IS BORN EVERYDAY"...... today is your birthday.... happy birthday to ya...
anyone that wants you to "email them at a .gmail address".... oh man.. I am just done typing ..... dive in buddy!! drink the water (and give your $$ & pin away)

I couldn't understand at first why he wanted my email address to continue the correspondence.
His text message replying to my ad simply said"
Williams Space Station Pinball -? 1500 (Wesley Chapel) It still for sale email me at
schulerromonp132@gmail.com this is not my cell phone.

I knew once he emailed me that it was for sure a scam. Let's see if my GMAIL gets more spam now..

Maybe we should all send him a thank you letter to HIS GMAIL address!!!

#23 4 years ago

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

where is the photo of the space invaders cab filled with dongs?

#24 4 years ago

Just sent him a message telling him I had a game to sell and attached a nice picture for him.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This actually makes perfect sense.

The scam emails just get deleted when I get them. But sometimes...you get one that you know is too good to be true but doesn't have the usual obvious grammar and language signs. So I'll respond...you know, just in case.

By the second email it's obvious and I bail. But a little more stupidity on their part in the first contact would have saved us both a little trouble.

#26 4 years ago

Yeah typical Craigslist scammer. Reply cash only or just delete it. No body spends that much money without checking out the goods first.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can Google for one of the weird sentences and see other people that have asked about this scam going back a couple of years:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=%22+Im+okay+with+the+price+and+condition%2CI+can+only+pay+you+via+one+of+the+fastest+and+secure+way+to+pay+online%22

#28 4 years ago

as the aliens say in AFM.....

"Run Away"

#29 4 years ago

I got this one tonight trying to buy my machine off Craigs. He wants to pay more than my asking price. What a scam artist. Watch for this clown. The name on the email is ododo haleroo.

"My name is Jackson am currently out of town right now and am interested in buying this for my Niece who is presently on a construction project in oversea so am willing to pay you $3500 including the postage cost and hope this is real and not a scam?? "

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

Too funny, I'm helping a friend sell a unique expensive piece of furniture and I just got this email:
Thank you for getting back to me.well i want to believe and trust what you said about it.I'm ready to pay the price, i want to buy this for my Dad as his birthday gift. I am a marine biologist I work mostly on the sea, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i managed to check this advert and send you an email regarding it so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with PayPal,its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make this business as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears . i will like to see more pics if you have more.. write back with the total price and your PayPal email account so i can make payment asap.
Hoping for an eloquent business with you.
Details needed are
Your Paypal email address:
Firm price:
Full Name:
Cell phone number:
Of course I knew right away what this is. A marine biologist who in his downtime shops Grand Rapids MI Craigslist for rare furniture! What are the odds!

I had an almost identical email about 2 years ago. I knew it was a scam and had about 2-3 minutes of good quality laughter. However, I really feel bad for those who fall for it. I heard many senior citizens (I'm 52 so must mean older than that) fall for these scams and lose many valuable objects plus $$$ sometimes

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

What happens if you use that option??? Just curious.

#32 4 years ago

You should email him back and just tell him to have his sister bring the cash and to give you a BJ when she comes to pick up the game.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Pubaw:

What happens if you use that option??? Just curious.

The buyer can still dispute it and file a chargeback. All it really does is avoid fees.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Im okay with the price and condition,I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal).. Do you have a PayPal account?

Are you sure this isnt some kind of weird guerilla advertising by Paypal? They sure seem to think highly of it.

#35 4 years ago

didn't want to start a new thread, but just got this email out of the blue
"Hi
Is it okay to discuss possible business in this email? Do let me know ASAP so i can provide you with the details.

Regards Craig"

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Pubaw:

...I'm 52 so must mean older than that...

Damn, I'm just starting life and I'm 56! Gotta be at least in your 70s to be considered a senior!

#37 4 years ago

Another angle these scammers do with paypal is pay with money in their paypal account they've recently obtained by fraud. They pay you, and paypal tells you it's a solid payment. Some time later, Paypal will tell you the payment was not valid because fraud was involved and put you on the hook for that money. If they are connected to your bank account, they will attempt to draft that money without any kind of approval from you.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

This would be a mistake!! They can still use a credit card and file a claim up to six months later. Thats why i love using paypal to buy and hate using it to sell. The buyer has all of the protection. And thats why you should always buy using a credit card on paypal as it offers another layer of protection for you. If paypal woun't help, your credit card will!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
2,500 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Pittsfield, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside