8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by akm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I've had someone purchase an item and pay via paypal on ebay (despite me asking them to not pay that way in the ad). It shows as cash pending but funds not yet available until another 3 weeks, may be available sooner if they know the transaction went smoothly.

I'm wondering for people who've used paypal in the past how this works? I don't want to have an item picked up without seeing the money first but it looks as though paypal keep the money until they approve it?

#2 8 years ago

If you're a new seller on eBay they will hold your money until the guy who bought your item recieves it or x amount of days. When I first sold a pinball machine on eBay the same thing happened to me and made me very nervous because the machine sold for almost $7k..

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

If you're a new seller on eBay they will hold your money until the guy who bought your item recieves it or x amount of days. When I first sold a pinball machine on eBay the same thing happened to me and made me very nervous because the machine sold for almost $7k..

Did you hand it off with no cash and then wait until the money was released?

#4 8 years ago

Yeah I called eBay and they said the money had gone through but since I hadn't met their seller criteria they would hold it for x amount of days. I can't remember how many days it was but it sucked..

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah I called eBay and they said the money had gone through but since I hadn't met their seller criteria they would hold it for x amount of days. I can't remember how many days it was but it sucked..

Gave them a call too, they also said if you have the buyer call them they will release the funds right away. Spoke with the buyer and he's happy to do that too so all should be good.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

I don't want to have an item picked up without seeing the money first

Is the buyer picking up the item personally? If so, that is a huge red flag. Why use Paypal rather than cash on pickup? Paypal is dodgy as hell and will refund transactions at the drop of a hat, no questions asked, no evidence required. You should NEVER use Paypal to accept payments, unless you know and trust the person sending them.

#7 8 years ago

I use Paypal quite a bit but for buyers that pickup from me it is cash only.

#8 8 years ago

The buyer can do nothing to release your funds. You will wait the full 21 days or whstever. You could refund PayPal and ask for correct payment method.

Only accept PayPal if you are shipping with a reputable company that will leave shipping documentation. If they are picking up, do NOT accept PayPal unless they are a friend or very trustworthy.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

Gave them a call too, they also said if you have the buyer call them they will release the funds right away. Spoke with the buyer and he's happy to do that too so all should be good.

I just want to stress again, Ebay does not know what they are talking about, PayPal will hold funds. Been through this 3 times with sellers and could not get the $ released. The last one I actually left positive feedback 2 weeks before I received it because I felt bad for the seller ( I had never done that, but it still didn't work)

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Is the buyer picking up the item personally? If so, that is a huge red flag. Why use Paypal rather than cash on pickup? Paypal is dodgy as hell and will refund transactions at the drop of a hat, no questions asked, no evidence required. You should NEVER use Paypal to accept payments, unless you know and trust the person sending them.

Because some people deal in PayPal and sometimes already have the money there. Case in point, I had a guy buy some videogames off me last year (a large collection). It was worth a couple grand and he PayPal'd me. I went to go look at a $2,000 pinball machine that same night, but guess where all my money was? PayPal. So, I asked the guy if he'd take that, he said "sure", and the deal was done just like that with a couple of clicks on my phone. No cash traded hands, not physically in person anyway. Sometimes PayPal just works. But yes, we both knew and trusted each other, so that's something I do agree with. Although, you can get around that by using the gift/family/friends option if you are using it off of eBay--then the buyer can't retract their payment. If I was dealing with a stranger, I would require that form of payment if they were only willing to do PayPal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.