Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Im working with a buyer for my TAF, he said he cannot gift payment to me unless funds are in his paypal account? I think he is BS'ing me.... Is that a recent change? I dont recall any email alerts on a policy change...but I drink a lot. Ive often gifted payments to other pinsiders for whatever mods and so on straight from my linked bank account.

So, anyone gifted straight from bank account recently?

#2 10 years ago

You can gift using a credit card too, but you have to pay the 3ish percent fee that the credit card company charges paypal

#3 10 years ago

He may be using a credit card. I know if you gift using a cc it nails you with the fees. - Barry

#4 10 years ago

Yep-gift via cc has always had fees on the buyers end-but never on the gift via bank account. That is my question.

Arent you able to load money into your paypal with transfer from bank account without a fee?

#5 10 years ago

if he links his bank account to his paypal, that works without problems as well. Or he can upload the funds to his paypal, and once they are in paypal, he can send them over to you. It's the only way i'll even use paypal.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yep-gift via cc has always had fees on the buyers end-but never on the gift via bank account. That is my question.

Arent you able to load money into your paypal with transfer from bank account without a fee?

Yep.

#7 10 years ago

Hmm, I have told him I wouldnt ship till I have the cash in hand, perhaps I will unlink my bank account after I pull the cash out just to be safe.

#8 10 years ago

My guess, paypal could still come back if there is a CC chargeback, or a filed complaint from the buyer, regardless of the unlinked account or draining the cash right away.

#9 10 years ago

Would a mailed check be a better option?

#10 10 years ago

Check could have a stop payment. I would think a wire transfer would be the safest, but not sure... usually they check to ensure funds are available prior to the transfer so atleast you would have that assurance.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from PaulyB18:

My guess, paypal could still come back if there is a CC chargeback, or a filed complaint from the buyer, regardless of the unlinked account or draining the cash right away.

Although, that would be considered fraud by my bank if its an unauthorized withdrawal by them.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Although, that would be considered fraud by my bank if its an unauthorized withdrawal by them.

Somewhere somehow you clicked "I agree" to pretty much anything paypal wants to do.

Watch your nuts bro!

#13 10 years ago

That made me laugh.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from PaulyB18:

Unfortunately a buyer can file a chargeback months after the purchase. They claims to be able to get the money from you, the seller, even if you remove it from your PayPal account. I'm not really sure how that works because I've also been scammed as a buyer. I filed a claim and PayPal replied with something along the lines of...

"We have ruled in your favor, but were unable to recover funds. This case is now closed."

To help protect yourself, make sure you are shipping to the verified address registered in the PayPal account. In the end though, if your feeling uneasy about the deal, walk away.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Somewhere somehow you clicked "I agree" to pretty much anything paypal wants to do.
    Watch your nuts bro!

Yeah, I hear you, my bank is a Wisconsin based bank that I process a fair amount of $ through with my business, and I know some hi ups on a personal level(branch/investment managers) I do feel the bank would have my back if worse came to worse....LOL! This is why I had really hoped someone on pin side bought that TAF from me

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I didn't even know you had it for sale.

Yeah, I like the game, just not the condition of it and I dont want to invest the time+$...The buyer actually has great feedback via Ebay and has had deals with a certain pinsider so there is a solid foundation with this guy...

#18 10 years ago

If they pay you as a gift they can't get their money back. Buyer protection goes out the window.

#19 10 years ago

POSTAL MONEY ORDERS is best. get the money orders, take them to your local post office, verify they are legit. cash them at the post office if they have enough money or cash elsewhere.

if PAYPAL, do GIFT only. gifted funds can't have disputes.

any other way (c card through paypal) a buyer can do a false charge back, keep your game, and get their money back..simple as that. its an ongoing scam. paypal says "sorry we tried" to resolve with c card company. paypal says once teh c card company steps in, basically paypal cant even force the buyer to return the item, because the buyer gets the funds from their c card company...who gets it from paypal..... BEFORE they have to return anything.

#20 10 years ago

you might like it better if you take the LED's out and take those black flipper bats off. might be playable then.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you might like it better if you take the LED's out and take those black flipper bats off. might be playable then.

Then it would be boring like this TZ I bought till I customized

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from tvbenk:

If they pay you as a gift they can't get their money back. Buyer protection goes out the window.

The only protections the buyer loses are "buyer protections". This is because gifted PayPal is not designed to be used for purchases. For example, the buyer could not file a claim saying an item wasn't received or the item wasn't in the described condition. They can still claim that their account was hacked or file a credit card chargeback.

I actually think the "gifted" could backfire for the seller in the event of a scam.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

The only protections the buyer loses are "buyer protections". This is because gifted PayPal is not designed to be used for purchases. For example, the buyer could not file a claim saying an item wasn't received or the item wasn't in the described condition. They can still claim that their account was hacked or file a credit card chargeback.

I actually think the "gifted" could backfire for the seller in the event of a scam.

This is *exactly* what I understand about it. There is no recourse for the seller to prove that he provided an item to someone because it is a gift, so you're just SOL if something comes up.

I actually really like PayPal as a company (amazing, because they are owned by eBay who I absolutely despise), but the gift stuff is really only designed to be gifts.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yeah, I hear you, my bank is a Wisconsin based bank that I process a fair amount of $ through with my business, and I know some hi ups on a personal level(branch/investment managers) I do feel the bank would have my back if worse came to worse....LOL! This is why I had really hoped someone on pin side bought that TAF from me

lol, you trust a bank!

GLWTS

That last "S" represented "scam" BTW

I'm kidding of course. You will prolly be fine. I paid for 6 pins via PP & took money for 2. Ain't no thang.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Hmm, I have told him I wouldnt ship till I have the cash in hand, perhaps I will unlink my bank account after I pull the cash out just to be safe.

Have your bank open a separate account for this type of thing (paypal, money wire, etc) just to be safe.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Then it would be boring like this TZ I bought till I customized

But you cannot deny that TZ was dialed in to a tee. Plays smooth and like butter. Shots are clean, and no annoying bounce outs of the rocket and lock.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Remember, there are monthly withdrawal limits on your PP account unless you've gone through the BS to have it increased...

I would go with Postal money orders or a check with appropriate time to clear... only way I would do it...

Jaz

#28 10 years ago

They have also added a small fee to Gifts if there is a Currency conversion. Like Dollars to Pounds.

#29 10 years ago

My problem with transactions with paypal as a gift as payment for a sale is, get this: it isn't a gift. I've done it, but when I did I was lying (it was a sale) and paypal sure as shit knew it wasn't a $5000 gift. It's basically saying "hey paypal I'm using your service and refusing pay you for it. You know I'm lying but it's cool right? Wink." I stopped doing paypal as a gift because I decided lying to a company that processes thousands of dollars for me is short sighted and a bad practice. I stick to USPS money orders (preferred by far), wire transfers, or cash. If I trust the seller I'll take paypal.

** Just to be clear I am not criticizing centerflank or anyone else for doing business this way. But I believe processing sales as a gift isn't fooling paypal and sooner or later they will crackdown on it.

#30 10 years ago

I still got nailed $80 bucks + conversion for using gift option with my bank account. Paypal is just a money sucking option.

#31 10 years ago

I would NOT ship a game without 100% cleared payment PERIOD.

What does that mean.
    Well for me it means a certified bank check or postal money order or paypal gift payment plus ample time for it to clear and also remove chance for them to pull any funny business.

#32 10 years ago

The solution here is simple...BITCOINS

#33 10 years ago

Just have him send a check. Wait till it clears. Then ship. I have received and sent checks for pins. Works like a charm.

#34 10 years ago

At this point, Im going to take the paypal payment processed as standard merchant transaction, he is adding a little so we split fees. Like I said, he has great/perfect feedback from Ebay so no need for me not give him some leeway.

#35 10 years ago

My cousin sent me a gift of $300 from his bank account 2 days ago and there were no fees. I would wonder about a $4000 gift showing up here and there if the IRS ever audited you. Would probably be taxed and penalized on the money at that time.

#36 10 years ago

The absolute best payment by distance is USPS postal money order in an envelope with a stamp. It affords all parties maximum protection as the postal inspector will pursue mail fraud. Too bad it seems like the guy wants to use his credit card. It will cost him 3% to cash advance that. Or you can have him send you a convenience check and make him wait 2 weeks to be sure it clears.

#37 10 years ago

If PayPal's fees are going to make or break a pinball deal then it probably wasn't a good deal to begin with. You need to factor all this in when making the deal up front.

If you can't live with the fees then pad your price to include them or explore other payment methods.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

If PayPal's fees are going to make or break a pinball deal then it probably wasn't a good deal to begin with. You need to factor all this in when making the deal up front.
    If you can't live with the fees then pad your price to include them or explore other payment methods.

Fees are really a non factor, I will actually get just a bit more than what I have the TAF for sale on pin side.

#39 10 years ago

They don't call it a "Gift" any more on Paypal. I think the verbiage has changed to a "friends and family" payment, or something like that.

Not sure if that is where the confusion lies, but that is what you need.

(Also, in a friends and family payment, people can't pull the charge-back scam crap, so you'd be safe).

Pete

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

At this point, Im going to take the paypal payment processed as standard merchant transaction, he is adding a little so we split fees. Like I said, he has great/perfect feedback from Ebay so no need for me not give him some leeway.

All buyers on eBay have 100% positive feedback

Really though, the buyer has a lot more risk than the seller in an online pinball machine purchase with shipping. The buyer has to trust you just as much as you have to trust the buyer. I certainly wouldn't ever buy a pinball I've never seen in person and have it shipped, if there wasn't some way to dispute and get my money back. And in many cases to win the dispute you'd still have to ship it back to the seller and lose out on the cost of doing that.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

They don't call it a "Gift" any more on Paypal. I think the verbiage has changed to a "friends and family" payment, or something like that.
    Not sure if that is where the confusion lies, but that is what you need.
    (Also, in a friends and family payment, people can't pull the charge-back scam crap, so you'd be safe).
    Pete

Every payment through PayPal can be charged back, for any reason, and there is no time limit. Any claim of a chargeback-proof PayPal payment is a myth. This also goes for ordinary checks.

#42 10 years ago

to touch on what Rusty was asking . I am pretty sure you can gift someone up to $13,000 in a year and it will be excluded from taxes (paying taxes on the gift)

#43 10 years ago

Last time I was at the PO, the largest USPS money order was $300, so on a pinball transaction it would take a bunch of them.

Also, they never seem to have $300 on hand at the local PO, so you stand in line, only to have them tell you to deposit it in your bank anyway.

#44 10 years ago

^^^ 100% true! If the person has lots of Feedback and it's 100%, you will probably have no problem. What I have also done (many times) with no problem is have them send cash in an envelope FedEx Overnight Sig required. (insured)

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

to touch on what Rusty was asking . I am pretty sure you can gift someone up to $13,000 in a year and it will be excluded from taxes (paying taxes on the gift)

It has to actually *be* a gift, though. Now, you can process it as a gift in PayPal, and still report it as income on your taxes, and that is fine.

PayPal reports all your income to the IRS after $20,000 in a year.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

PayPal reports all your income to the IRS after $20,000 in a year.

But it has to be with X amount of transactions as well, right?

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

^^^ 100% true! If the person has lots of Feedback and it's 100%, you will probably have no problem. What I have also done (many times) with no problem is have them send cash in an envelope FedEx Overnight Sig required. (insured)

ALL BUYERS on eBay have 100% positive feedback!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

But it has to be with X amount of transactions as well, right?

However I wouldn't take a chance on PayPal goofing and treating the AND as an OR when they actually process their 1099s.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

ALL BUYERS on eBay have 100% positive feedback!

You check ALL the Feedback just to see the history....

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

You check ALL the Feedback just to see the history....

I hoped people would get it without needing this spelled out for them... But a buyer cannot be given negative feedback by a seller on eBay.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal-gift-changes-please-advise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.