New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275608)

PayPal Friends & Family Scam

By hefel-be

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by hefel-be
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hefel-be.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 months ago

I'd like to share a little story regarding PayPal Friends & Family that I think will be helpful.

Most Pinsiders probably know that PayPal does not want to help people who are conned into sending a scammer funds via F&F. They naturally want their 2.5% cut of the transaction, or whatever it is, so you shouldn't expect much protection from them if you left them out of the deal.

I had $5500 stolen from me by a scammer on Mr. Pinball Classified. I was trying to buy an AC/DC Premium. The scammer gave me a sales reference (that was clearly his buddy in on the scam), wrote up a purchase agreement document (using a fake name) and even contracted a shipping company to pick the machine up at the supposed address. I sent him the funds via PayPal F&F and learned a valuable lesson when the machine was not at the address. Don't ever use PayPal F&F!

However...if you find yourself in this situation, opening a dispute with PayPal will not be enough. Even though PayPal harbors the criminal's banking info, shipping address, etc...you're still out of luck and the authorities don't really seem to care for the most part. You will have to open a fraud dispute with your bank.

I filed a dispute with my bank and within two days, PayPal completely reversed all of the transactions. The key is, PayPal will need to see the phrase "unauthorized" transaction. To PayPal, this will mean you got hacked and someone else sent the funds from your account. My bank told PayPal the charges were unauthorized and now I have my money back and the scammer is out the cost of shipping. Gotcha MF!

#12 3 months ago

Reading a lot of other experiences, I realize I definitely got lucky. I think it helped to have all of my paperwork in order during the dispute as well.

#16 3 months ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Not sure what I am missing. How is the scammer (seller) out the cost of shipping? He never shipped anything.

The seller paid the shipping company to show up at an address. Don't you have to pay them before they pick up? Maybe I'm wrong, that was my assumption.

#20 3 months ago
Quoted from Manimal:

They get their percentage either way. When it comes to percentages, the only difference between regular PayPal and F&F is who pays the percentage. In one case the sender pays it (F&F) and in the other case, the receiver pays the percentage. (Assuming you are using a credit card).
But don't smile too broadly, just because you reversed the credit card charge. They have been known to go after balances and linked bank accounts, several weeks after you think you got away free and clear. If you ever file a dispute, it is always advisable to put an advisory on your bank account to keep them from withdrawing anything without your permission. Once they get their hands on it....good luck getting it back.

It wasn't a credit card charge so PayPal did not get a cut. Also everything is finished.

#21 3 months ago
Quoted from JethroP:

But if the seller is scamming the buyer, and he really doesn't have a pin to sell, then why would he hire a moving company, and where would he send them? And why would he spend any money on anything if he's scamming? I'm totally not understanding this.

He wanted to make it look legit...It's a scam. He took $5500 from me and paid the shipping company around $500. He sent them to an address in FL that wasn't his. The person who lived at that address had the same last name as the scammers pseudonym. The trucking company says they think the same person is doing this over and over.

#22 3 months ago

Good point. I don't think it was.

#24 3 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

AwesoMe job ! I would never use mr pinball or f and f with someone i don’t know , but great job

Thanks. Lessons learned...the hard way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hefel-be.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside