Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

I am sorry this happened to you. I was taken a few months ago for $45 and I was pissed and I was the buyer! The company faked a USPS tracking number and that's all paypal needed to close my claim. The real question is how did they find another USPS tracking number to my town to fake it. The post office said they have not seen this before. The weight of item was way off and was to a different address and person. No way of opening the paypal dispute again or speaking with someone. I can't imagine how pissed you are. If you know how to fool paypal it seems scammers can make a lot of money. I will avoid now at all costs. Did you manage to find a phone number and actually speak to someone?

I had this exact thing happen to me. What they do is ship something to the same zip code as you and that's all Paypal and eBay needs to close the claim and say it was delivered. It took a while but I finally proved the package was not delivered to MY address. I actually had to get a three way phone call going with a rep from Paypal AND FedEx! It was a nightmare and was for a lot of money but ultimately worked out, but yeah, this is the new scam, ship something to ANY house in your zip area

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pauz21:

Can the same thing happen if you receive the funds as a gift?

Yes, even more likely you will be scammed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide#post-1813448

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Wow....this angers me to no end. What kind of person does this? I can only imagine the number of other toys and things her kid has broken that she has then stiffed people for, the number of things returned to Target and other stores that they then have to absorb and you and I then wind up paying higher prices because of it, and god only knows what else she takes no responsibility for. Probably the type that opens food in a supermarket to snack on without paying for it, then backs into your car in the parking lot when leaving and takes off, leaving you with a big dent in your new car. What a lowlife.

It was pathetic. She knew exactly what she was doing, so this was obviously not her first rodeo. Unfortunately people aren't big on accountability nowadays.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I took a cashiers check to my bank and asked if this was good as gold or could it be canceled by the buyer,I was told it could still be stopped.

That's why you never deposit them, you only cash them. If they want to pay with a cashiers check from a bank you don't have locally tell them no dice. Tell them to take the money out of Timbuktu Credit Union and go to Wells Fargo or something to buy one.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Seriously though... if we live in fear of PayPal we are going to stay in the Stone Age... I’d venture to say that 70%+ of pinside transactions involve PayPal... how often do we hear of scams like this?

Every single day.

This guide is almost 7 years old, but the hits keep on coming....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every single day.
    This guide is almost 7 years old, but the hits keep on coming....
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

Amen to that

#107 3 years ago

I love how people say they will buy on ebay but not sell, or pay with paypal but not accept it for selling. When everyone feels like that there wont be either.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I love how people say they will buy on ebay but not sell, or pay with paypal but not accept it for selling. When everyone feels like that there wont be either.

good point

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

There should be no reason for a buyer not to provide cash at pickup.

Some people don't like to carry 5 grand in cash around.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I love how people say they will buy on ebay but not sell, or pay with paypal but not accept it for selling.

When everyone feels like that there wont be either.

It's all about managing YOUR risks intelligently.

YOU might believe that the government requiring seatbelts is infringing on your **constitutional rights** and never wear them. I've been in enough car accidents that I want to minimize MY injury risks and wear them all the time.

YOU might believe that you can be **extra careful** and never have a tablesaw injury. I want to minimize the risks to MY fingers and use a Sawstop tablesaw.

YOU might believe Q, that Bill Gates put mind-control microchips in all the vaccines. I wanted to minimize MY risk of premature death, and got vaccinated.

YOU might believe that Vishnu is protecting you from ever getting a Paypal chargeback. I've seen enough people get ripped off, that I would NEVER accept the risk of taking Paypal.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

It's not like you are going to drop it into a stream or something, lol

In Vegas there are scammers everywhere, and no one ever says "Cupcake, I've got to run this 10K up to the safe before I lose it!"

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Good point. Carrying large amounts of cash around is unpopular with younger people. Some wouldn't even consider the concept.
    I have "Rode Shotgun" for many friends conducting cash transactions (all legal). It's real.
    I see desirable machines in Northern Cities I'm not familiar with at great prices.
    Then I contemplate driving up there with a wad of cash to get a deal.
    Right.
    I resist using paypal at all costs. I also ain't going to a high crime city with a wad of cash, where my "shotgun" is illegal.
    This is the primary reason I don't have a larger collection. All the good machines at fair prices are everywhere but near by.

#113 3 years ago

I would not accept a Cashier's Check either. Too easy to fake.

Of course, would not normally accept a personal check but a buyer on Pinside offered to send me a personal check and after I cashed it he would arrange the pickup. So I asked my bank if I deposited the check how many days would it take to clear? Banker said too risky. Even if the check clears in a few days it could be reversed if the check writer comes back later stating it was a stolen check. Banker suggested if I accept the check to take to the bank it was written on, pay the fee to cash at that bank (fee for not being a customer of that bank). Exactly what I did, paid the $7 fee and walked out of that bank with cash. No recourse at that point.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sorry this isn’t true. PayPal has locked my account due to large transactions before even though it was FnF, people I’ve sold pins to before, etc. I’d done it many times without issue and suddenly PayPal started doing this for no reason.

Yeah, I guess Paypal is in the process of being certified legally as a bank or something, and as a result they are removing/locking any accounts which they feel could be illicit in nature. It seems that frequently moving large amounts of money into and out of your account via F&F payments is one of their flags. I know a high-end statue collector (Marvel, DC, that sort of thing), that had his Paypal account permanently locked for this reason about a month ago.

So you have to be careful not doing large F&F payments very often. To be safe, you need to use Goods and Services for frequent large transactions, otherwise you risk Paypal deciding to close your account unilaterally.
    -----
    I frequently use and accept Paypal for deposits on games that can't be picked up right away. Then both seller and buyer are only risking a small amount of the total cost of the pin.

As far as accepting Paypal payments for the full-amount of a pinball machine. You just need to trust the person sending the payment. Everyone will have their own criteria for who they will trust. But ultimately, if you only accept paypal from people you legitimately trust, then you'll be fine.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

You just need to trust the person sending the payment. But ultimately, if you only accept paypal from people you legitimately trust, then you'll be fine.

Exactly.

Even if the person you trust has had their account hacked; as long as you trust them, you'll be fine

/s

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's not like you are going to drop it into a stream or something, lol

I live near Philadelphia, and I've driven through really shitty parts of Philly with lump sums of cash picking up machines. Its not a great feeling. I've had friends ride with who have concealed carry permits just to feel a little safer. Gets harder when I go to or through DC, because of the gun carry laws ie only the criminals carry them :p

There's nothing wrong with using Paypal as long as you trust the person on the other side of the transaction. Its just been really hard to earn the trust because its tough to find someone to take the payment. But with any deal, paypal or not, if something feels fishy don't do it.

#117 3 years ago

Probably not recommended, but short story is a gentleman wanted a game and made a cash deposit in person and sent the remaining balance via USPS Priority Mail with signature required. Insured for full amount naturally...

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

The other scenario no one has mentioned is us Military Vets most likely use USAA for their banking. It's on ALL online bank. You can take a picture of a check and deposit $100,000 if you want, but you can't mail them $5,000 in cash as a deposit. Large lumps of cash were actually a pain in the ass for me so I had to open up a US Bank account locally just to turn the cash into 1's and 0's so I could use it for more than just buying a different game. US Bank would be charging me $25 a month to use this account maybe 4 times a year, but fortunately they waive their monthly service fee for Veterans. I've settled on bank wire transfers for payment on games I ship out, and it seems to work fine. Costs them $20, I get the money in about 30 minutes and it gets moved out of the account immediately. But..I'm sure there's some way to get scammed using those too.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

The other scenario no one has mentioned is us Military Vets most likely use USAA for their banking. It's on ALL online bank. You can take a picture of a check and deposit $100,000 if you want, but you can't mail them $5,000 in cash as a deposit. Large lumps of cash were actually a pain in the ass for me so I had to open up a US Bank account locally just to turn the cash into 1's and 0's so I could use it for more than just buying a different game. US Bank would be charging me $25 a month to use this account maybe 4 times a year, but fortunately they waive their monthly service fee for Veterans. I've settled on bank wire transfers for payment on games I ship out, and it seems to work fine. Costs them $20, I get the money in about 30 minutes and it gets moved out of the account immediately. But..I'm sure there's some way to get scammed using those too.

I use wire transfers to my reputable distributor but when I pick up a game out of town I go inspect the game and go to a local bank and get the cash after I check out the machine and the new to me seller.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I use wire transfers to my reputable distributor but when I pick up a game out of town I go inspect the game and go to a local bank and get the cash after I check out the machine and the new to me seller.

If a buyer doesnt bring cash or go to the bank and get cash he doesnt leave with my game .Its about my comfort not the buyers I pay cash on the glass unless its a distributor and I expect the same in return.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I guess Paypal is in the process of being certified legally as a bank or something, and as a result they are removing/locking any accounts which they feel could be illicit in nature. It seems that frequently moving large amounts of money into and out of your account via F&F payments is one of their flags. I know a high-end statue collector (Marvel, DC, that sort of thing), that had his Paypal account permanently locked for this reason about a month ago.
    So you have to be careful not doing large F&F payments very often. To be safe, you need to use Goods and Services for frequent large transactions, otherwise you risk Paypal deciding to close your account unilaterally.
    -----
    I frequently use and accept Paypal for deposits on games that can't be picked up right away. Then both seller and buyer are only risking a small amount of the total cost of the pin.
    As far as accepting Paypal payments for the full-amount of a pinball machine. You just need to trust the person sending the payment. Everyone will have their own criteria for who they will trust. But ultimately, if you only accept paypal from people you legitimately trust, then you'll be fine.

They locked my current account for Goods and Services large transaction too. Literally just happened for the JJ POTC I was selling and buyer did goods and services payment. We ended up doing wire transfer, so I cancelled/refunded the payment and it doesn't matter. Paypal still has my account locked and wants all sorts of information about our transaction even though it was cancelled, or they won't unlock my account.

Doesn't matter if you do FnF or G&S. Paypal is terrible.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I would not accept a Cashier's Check either. Too easy to fake.
    Of course, would not normally accept a personal check but a buyer on Pinside offered to send me a personal check and after I cashed it he would arrange the pickup. So I asked my bank if I deposited the check how many days would it take to clear? Banker said too risky. Even if the check clears in a few days it could be reversed if the check writer comes back later stating it was a stolen check. Banker suggested if I accept the check to take to the bank it was written on, pay the fee to cash at that bank (fee for not being a customer of that bank). Exactly what I did, paid the $7 fee and walked out of that bank with cash. No recourse at that point.

Did you get your cabbage from the guy who stopped payment ?

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Did you get your cabbage from the guy who stopped payment ?

Not yet. I got an email from Paypal yesterday saying (again) that a case is open and being disputed. I suspect it's going to take some time before Paypal and the buyer's financial institution work it all out. What a hassle.

#124 3 years ago

It is going to take a while for sure. Took months for me to get a dispute ruled in my favor and finalized.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Here is a warning in hopes it helps fellow Pinsiders.
    I have been accepting Paypal for more than 20 years...since it's inception. Never again! As the saying goes....cash on the glass from now on.
    Last year I accepted a payment of $1,300 through Paypal Friends and Family (F&F). The misconception is that F&F is good as cash and once you receive the funds there is no recourse from the sender to take their money back. Turns out, in my case, more than 3 months later I got an email from Paypal saying "the buyer stated they did not authorize this purchase," and since the sender used a credit card to fund his Paypal account, the bank is processing a chargeback.
    I called Paypal with questions. How can this happen months later? How can they take back the funds sent F&F? They asked me if I can prove the item I sold was delivered....like do I have a USPS delivery confirmation. I told them it was picked up in person. Not even sure what kind of proof I could provide that would mitigate this type of chargeback process. Needless to say, and warning to all:
    Never accept Paypal for payment....even Friends and Family payment. You could find that months later they will take the money back.

Been burnt by PayPal also. Mine was in conjunction with eBay. And since I had a credit card attached to my PayPal account, they just took the refund off my card.

I beat them in the end though by disputing their chargeback with my credit card provider. In the end PayPal couldn’t provide sufficient proof that I authorized the transaction.

Probably already been mentioned in here, but If someone picks up in person you should have them sign for it.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Probably already been mentioned in here, but If someone picks up in person you should have them sign for it.

Yes, it has been mentioned many times that paypal does NOT accept any non-digital signatures as proof of delivery.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

Or like $20k+ these days

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, it has been mentioned many times that paypal does NOT accept any non-digital signatures as proof of delivery.

Can you clarify. I’m reading this as PayPal only accepts digital signatures as proof.

But that’s counter to what you replied to yet you started with “yes”.

Sarcasm or ?

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Can you clarify. I’m reading this as PayPal only accepts digital signatures as proof.
    But that’s counter to what you replied to yet you started with “yes”.
    Sarcasm or ?

Having a person sign in person is NOT proof to paypal that the game was delivered

Nor is a notarized document, video footage, fingerprint, DNA sample.....
    -

Simply put, there is no safe way to accept paypal as payment - none.

Pinsiders: WTFU, get vaccinated and quit believing in Q.

#130 3 years ago

I'd like to add one more reason not to use paypal. While talking to my tax guy, he said Paypal (especially in my state) is going to start tracking payments coming in. If you accept more than $20k in a year, you'll get a 1099-k form. This could be for anything, selling a pinball machine, pinball mods, selling a car on ebay. Just saying if you sell a lot of stuff, you might want to start tracking them (even though Paypal keeps a lot of your transactions), or you might consider accepting an alternate service like venmo
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-does-paypal-report-my-sales-to-the-irs-will-i-receive-a-tax-form-1099-k-faq729

#131 3 years ago

A bunch of states require paypal to report @ ~$500 now

Enjoy.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

alternate service like venmo

PayPal owns Venmo, their policies aren’t likely to be any more rational.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd like to add one more reason not to use paypal. While talking to my tax guy, he said Paypal (especially in my state) is going to start tracking payments coming in. If you accept more than $20k in a year, you'll get a 1099-k form. This could be for anything, selling a pinball machine, pinball mods, selling a car on ebay. Just saying if you sell a lot of stuff, you might want to start tracking them (even though Paypal keeps a lot of your transactions), or you might consider accepting an alternate service like venmo
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-does-paypal-report-my-sales-to-the-irs-will-i-receive-a-tax-form-1099-k-faq729

I think it’s only for goods and services you get the tax reporting, not gifts/ff. Though if you are taking in $20k in gifts, PayPal will come after you anyway.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

It’s been like this for a while.... but since I use PayPal for business, I summarize the whole account and give it to my accountant anyway.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you accept more than $20k in a year, you'll get a 1099-k form

I can confirm this. Got my first this year, pretty sure this is the first year of this policy

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Enjoy.

Holy shit....That's nuts. I send my buddy money for beer that comes up to more than $500 a year. So he would possibly need to report that as "income"?

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

Holy shit....That's nuts. I send my buddy money for beer that comes up to more than $500 a year. So he would possibly need to report that as "income"?

Not if it’s gift / friends and family which beer Money should be

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Enjoy.

Yup....sold a car to my nephew on a payment plan. He made last year's payments to me through PP F&F......guess what I got in the mail?

#139 3 years ago

Dear lord

This all sounds like a royal pain in the ass!

Well all be using cash again soon like savages.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

USPS money orders are protected by the US and a Federal crime to fake. The special protections inherent with using USPS money orders made them a favorite in my early eBay sales and I still use them.
    Funny story; paid a friend with one recently and he asked me what it was (He is a Postal Worker).

becuase something being against the law has always prevented people from doing such thing

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not if it’s gift / friends and family which beer Money should be

OK good - yes, I always send it as gift/F&F. I feel better now, thanks!

#142 3 years ago

So what’s the alternative?

I use PayPal for my rail business and received a 1099 for the first time this year. I’d be happy to tell PayPal to fuck off, but don’t know a better alternative. Most of my transactions are under $100 a pop, but it adds up quick.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dear lord
    This all sounds like a royal pain in the ass!
    Well all be using cash again soon like savages.

There's a reason people use cash...in fact, lots of reasons. Life is much simpler.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

On a positive note you may be able to claim him as a dependent on your taxes.

#145 3 years ago

"Friends and Family" should only be used with actual friends and family.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I use PayPal for my rail business and received a 1099 for the first time this year.

Yeah, I was shocked when I got the 1099 from them.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I use PayPal for my rail business and received a 1099 for the first time this year. I’d be happy to tell PayPal to fuck off, but don’t know a better alternative. Most of my transactions are under $100 a pop, but it adds up quick.

If you have not already look into register a business. If you are doing enough to generate a 1099 probably should. Keep in mind you pay taxes on your profit, not off the top. Got a month still to find all your expenses.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Might be a reason why Bitcoin continues to climb, it's not just to avoid transaction fees. Nobody can see where your money goes.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Might be a reason why Bitcoin continues to climb, it's not just to avoid transaction fees. Nobody can see where your money goes.

the IRS is sniffing hard at bitcoin .get ready to get taxed

#150 3 years ago

Cash is king unless the buyer is a close friend or otherwise completely vetted.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal-do-not-accept-payment-using-paypal/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.