Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

Here is a warning in hopes it helps fellow Pinsiders.

I have been accepting Paypal for more than 20 years...since it's inception. Never again! As the saying goes....cash on the glass from now on.

Last year I accepted a payment of $1,300 through Paypal Friends and Family (F&F). The misconception is that F&F is good as cash and once you receive the funds there is no recourse from the sender to take their money back. Turns out, in my case, more than 3 months later I got an email from Paypal saying "the buyer stated they did not authorize this purchase," and since the sender used a credit card to fund his Paypal account, the bank is processing a chargeback.

I called Paypal with questions. How can this happen months later? How can they take back the funds sent F&F? They asked me if I can prove the item I sold was delivered....like do I have a USPS delivery confirmation. I told them it was picked up in person. Not even sure what kind of proof I could provide that would mitigate this type of chargeback process. Needless to say, and warning to all:

Never accept Paypal for payment....even Friends and Family payment. You could find that months later they will take the money back.

#2 3 years ago

With only reading subject line I have to agree with your post.

#3 3 years ago

I am sorry this happened to you. I was taken a few months ago for $45 and I was pissed and I was the buyer! The company faked a USPS tracking number and that's all paypal needed to close my claim. The real question is how did they find another USPS tracking number to my town to fake it. The post office said they have not seen this before. The weight of item was way off and was to a different address and person. No way of opening the paypal dispute again or speaking with someone. I can't imagine how pissed you are. If you know how to fool paypal it seems scammers can make a lot of money. I will avoid now at all costs. Did you manage to find a phone number and actually speak to someone?

#4 3 years ago

PayPal Friends and Family mean “Friends” and “Family”. Trusted people you know very well. Use it for people that would never do that to you ever.

#5 3 years ago

That sucks! Sorry to hear something like that happening to a good Pinsider. I bought an Astro from you a couple years ago. I offered to pay by direct bank transfer but you said PayPal, so that’s what I did. ( Don’t worry I still like it so I won’t be doing a charge back) Using PayPal gives the buyer way too much power in the transaction. If I’m paying by bank transfer, once my money is in your account it’s going to be way more difficult for me to get it back. Obviously, that means I have to do my homework before I wire someone money!

#6 3 years ago

One of the first steps I believe/think everyone can do is request your bank block automatic withdrawals specifically related to paypal and CC.

Yes, you sign a contract they can do this, but when the money doesnt easily get reversed, they now have to talk to you.

In addition, Ive had to request signatures now on picked up items, in detail, approving condition, quality, as is, final sale, etc.

The last issue like this with Paypal took me 3 months of calling, escalating, and emails to paypal board members, and corp.

It turned any joy into a nightmare. People Lie and cheat with no moral compass these days. They have received new lessons.

It has forced me into selling only the cheap stuff for a while....Losing a couple hundred just last month, as opposed to Thousands.
    (People scratching pieces, to claim defect, and getting for free)

Maybe, you have enough in emails, to document receipt, etc?
    Sorry you had the stress and burden.

#7 3 years ago

PayPal is trash. They locked my account when someone sent me money and demanded all sorts of ridiculous nonsense to unlock like proof of shipping, invoice for the original purchase of when I bought the pin I was selling, etc.

#8 3 years ago

I wonder what the time limit is for someone to claim they didn't authorize a payment. 3 months seems like a long time to allow that.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I wonder what the time limit is for someone to claim they didn't authorize a payment. 3 months seems like a long time to allow that.

PayPal allows 180 days to file a claim.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

PayPal Friends and Family mean “Friends” and “Family”. Trusted people you know very well. Use it for people that would never do that to you ever.

Irrelevant to PayPal. I sent money to MY WIFE from my PayPal balance and after the transaction was complete and the money withdrawn on her end PayPal changed my funding source, put the money back in my pp account and tried to charge her, claiming I had disputed the transaction.

It’s like they don’t even have a human reading their messages.

#11 3 years ago

Bill of Sale.

Always make them up (2-3 Copies) and have people sign for anything they pick up in person.

List all details about the Item (serial #), Transaction agreement and (lack of) Warranty.

Remember the 11th Commandment : "Cover Thine Own Ass".

#12 3 years ago

Similar thing happened to me! I even had the buyer contact PayPal to release the funds to me. They wouldn’t budge for 2 months. We finally canceled the transaction and I drove 6 hours to pick up the cash from the buyer. Most insane headache I’ve ever had. Never again will I use PayPal!!!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

my PayPal balance and after the transaction was complete and the money withdrawn on her end PayPal changed my funding source, put the money back in my pp account and tried to charge her, claiming I had disputed the transaction.
    It’s like they don’t even have a human reading their messages.

I am not advocating for PP. but this is a different situation entirely.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

I am sorry this happened to you. I was taken a few months ago for $45 and I was pissed and I was the buyer! The company faked a USPS tracking number and that's all paypal needed to close my claim. The real question is how did they find another USPS tracking number to my town to fake it. The post office said they have not seen this before. The weight of item was way off and was to a different address and person. No way of opening the paypal dispute again or speaking with someone. I can't imagine how pissed you are. If you know how to fool paypal it seems scammers can make a lot of money. I will avoid now at all costs. Did you manage to find a phone number and actually speak to someone?

As weird as it sounds, there are tracking number mills that exist for the sole purpose of manufacturing valid tracking numbers which appear to have been delivered. Sometime the scammers send empty boxes, sometimes they send worthless crap, and they usually just pick random people to send to. I read all them time about people that get bottle openers or paperclips that they didn't order. (I have gotten a couple myself). The receiver focuses on the paperclips, while the real intent was to establish a valid tracking number to be used elsewhere. Thieves everywhere!!!!

#15 3 years ago

Yeah PayPal has never really been safe, sorry you had this happen to you. Once scammers figure out how to work the policies of the major online businesses to screw people over and get away with it legally, they all start flocking to it. Been screwed over on a few items I sold on eBay cause scammers know they can get away with it since eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer and leaves the seller totally powerless. I no longer sell anything on eBay.

#16 3 years ago

To be fair, I use PP F&F all the time with people I know. So it's not just the tool (PP), it's the parties involved. Perhaps the title of this thread should say,
    "Don't do business with people you don't know"

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I told them it was picked up in person.

I would definitely track down this person!

#19 3 years ago

I bought a machine from a guy and he had me pay him with Paypal right away before I picked the machine up. It was an embroidery machine not a pin. I went and picked it up and all was fine. About a week later he calls me and asked me to call paypal to release the money to him but I never put a hold on it. I call PP and they say they are holding the money for a while without reason but jumping through hoops I got this poor guy his money the next day. Never again for anything over $500.00

#20 3 years ago

1k and up best to video tape buyer using paypal upon pick up with terms disclosed. Otherwise cash on glass. Pinball is so popular now that paypal isnt needed for game purchases . CASH$$

#21 3 years ago

This is exactly why as a business we stopped using PayPal. We mainly use credit card now with an authorization form. Yeah it’s kind of a pain and an extra step for the buyer, but it’s worth it to protect ourselves from situations exactly like this.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

PayPal allows 180 days to file a claim.

wow ,obviously too much time after receipt of item.1 week would seem generous

#23 3 years ago

Dang, this sucks. I always assumed that as long as it was F&F it was fine on the seller's side. I've never had an issue, but I usually only sell to people I don't know via F&F if I know of them in the community, or they have good reviews and have been a trusted Pinsider for some time. Anyone new to the site or rando off Facebook or something, there's no way. But, this is good information to have going forward.

#25 3 years ago

did you have the money just sitting in your PayPal account?

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

did you have the money just sitting in your PayPal account?

I think they have a direct link to your bank account now.not for me

#27 3 years ago

I literally HATE PAYPAL and could write a book why. Use anything else.

#28 3 years ago

I only use PayPal with people I know and trust.

#29 3 years ago

sorry this happened to you my friend

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I always assumed that as long as it was F&F it was fine on the seller's side.

Nope, it's not foolproof. Required reading:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#31 3 years ago

Funny cuz a guy at work got scammed by a woman who said she would do things for him if he paid. He sent a F&F for $45 and she immediately blocked him.

Now I can’t stand this guy and think he’s an absolute knobhead but I still advised him to dispute it seeing as all this stuff on Pinside makes it sound easy.

PayPal DENIED his chargeback and said the transaction DIDN’T SEEM FRAUDULENT! I laughed my ass off but I felt sorry. It was clearly a scam and although he was stupid to think a prostitute would be so cheap, I felt bad for him that even PayPal screwed him over!!

Moral of the story: PayPal has no rhyme or reason and screws over buyers and sellers at random for no reason. Cash only and make sure you have plenty of proof.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

PayPal DENIED his chargeback and said the transaction DIDN’T SEEM FRAUDULENT! I laughed my ass off but I felt sorry. It was clearly a scam and although he was stupid to think a prostitute would be so cheap, I felt bad for him that even PayPal screwed him over!!

Paid once.

Got screwed twice.

#33 3 years ago

The lesson here is make sure you have proof of purchase. You can get scammed with cash too.

#34 3 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I got to say I've never had a bad PayPal transaction yet. Maybe I've just been lucky

#35 3 years ago

I had someone messag me about a pin I have for sale, asking if I would take PayPal and ship the game. Told them I don't trust electronic payments like that. I would be open to a cashiers check or wire transfer and discuss shipping arrangements.

Never heard a thing back.

Guessing I avoided a scam?

#36 3 years ago

Not being funny, and playing Devils Advocate somewhat, but PayPal provides a payment mechanism for buying goods and services. You have to explicitly choose for it to be a Friends & Family payment.

If you choose to use that because it avoids fees, then that’s the risk you take. If it had been done as a goods or services payment you would’ve had avenues to get support etc. Clearly this random person you sold the pin to was neither a friend nor family.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Bill of Sale.
    Always make them up (2-3 Copies) and have people sign for anything they pick up in person.
    List all details about the Item (serial #), Transaction agreement and (lack of) Warranty.

I wish this were the case. No matter what hoops you jump through, PayPal is siding with the buyer 99% of the time. It might help, but it's far from a guarantee.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I wish this were the case. No matter what hoops you jump through, PayPal is siding with the buyer 99% of the time. It might help, but it's far from a guarantee.

If you have a Bill of Sale you have recourse outside of PayPal.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

If you have a Bill of Sale you have recourse outside of PayPal.

PinsideBillofSale.pdf - There may not be a file for download today, but something to keep everyone on the same page could be a community benefit.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

To be fair, I use PP F&F all the time with people I know. So it's not just the tool (PP), it's the parties involved. Perhaps the title of this thread should say,
    "Don't do business with people you don't know"

Yes. No issues. Paypal works great if used properly.

#41 3 years ago

Bill of sale does not constitute proof of purchase for PayPal. I got this interpretation straight from a PayPal rep. A buyer can still charge back on an in person pick up with a bill of sale, and PayPal will still side with the buyer. Matter of fact, the rep told me straight up not to use PayPal for that type of transaction anymore.

Cash only for in person transactions. There should be no reason for a buyer not to provide cash at pickup.

#42 3 years ago

Crypto. Low fees, irreversible, and there are coins that mimic the dollar so no wild fluctuations in value. Mechanism for use almost identical to PP.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Bill of Sale.

Bingo!

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Bill of sale does not constitute proof of purchase for PayPal. I got this interpretation straight from a PayPal rep. A buyer can still charge back on an in person pick up with a bill of sale, and PayPal will still side with the buyer. Matter of fact, the rep told me straight up not to use PayPal for that type of transaction anymore.
    Cash only for in person transactions. There should be no reason for a buyer not to provide cash at pickup.

I always insist on cash for in person (as you say). For remote purchases, I prefer receiving a cashiers check. I stay away from PayPal, however have been lucky so far for the small number of transactions, and I always do a Bill of Sale.

#45 3 years ago

JethroP

I’m sorry to hear that you were scammed. Please share the scammers name, email address and Pinside name (if it was a Pinsider). This will hopefully keep someone else from being scammed.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

I had someone messag me about a pin I have for sale, asking if I would take PayPal and ship the game. Told them I don't trust electronic payments like that. I would be open to a cashiers check or wire transfer and discuss shipping arrangements.
    Never heard a thing back.
    Guessing I avoided a scam?

The buyer probably thought you were scamming him

#47 3 years ago

That's too funny. I have a game for sale, with pictures and description, and I'm the scammer? Lmao.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

The buyer probably thought you were scamming him

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Here is a warning in hopes it helps fellow Pinsiders.

I have been accepting Paypal for more than 20 years...since it's inception. Never again! As the saying goes....cash on the glass from now on.

Never accept Paypal for payment....even Friends and Family payment. You could find that months later they will take the money back.

Share to everyone everything about the buyer that you know was real.

Name. Pinside ID (or other).
    Wherabouts
    Conversations prior to sale.

You may not get your money back, but we can make the son of a bitch miserable and spare any future victims.

You are correct about PayPal: No good - especially now.
    Strangers:
    USPS money orders--1K limit so you need multiples sometimes (falsifying names when buying those is a federal offense) - good as cash.
    Walmart Money order -
    Wells Fargo Money order.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

The lesson here is make sure you have proof of purchase. You can get scammed with cash too.

Cash and a cash marker is the way. Also, thanks for posting OP. Sucks PayPal is garbage but your experience helps others.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

That's too funny. I have a game for sale, with pictures and description, and I'm the scammer? Lmao.

A lot of scammers use pictures from previous sales. Since he’s new, how would he know that you’re not a scammer? He wouldn’t know to check your feedback, ask for references, etc.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paypal-do-not-accept-payment-using-paypal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.