(Topic ID: 7066)

Payment methods for pins? Other then CASH.

By Av8

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ssathre
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Payment methods for pins? Other then CASH.”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Hey_-n_-_there.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Whats the best way to get payment for a pin OTHER then cash?

I once was given a bad Cashiers Check. After it was deposited in my account it took my bank 3 weeks to discover it was fake. Are these scams still going on?

#2 8 years ago

usps postal money orders. you can cash them at the p.o. provided they have enough money on hand. my local p.o. only would allow $500 per day per person, so i asked for three $500 money orders from my buyer. hope that helps.

#3 8 years ago

I would never ever ever take a check. Those are forged so easily. Cash or the CC scanner from your phone (square something) or trade of some sort. Maybe paypal, but I dislike it for reasons.

#4 8 years ago

Credit/Debit

#5 8 years ago

No these days I would expect cash & expect to pay cash... I wouldn't let a buyer consider another method.

#6 8 years ago

Why would you want something other than cash? unless to trade.

#7 8 years ago

I've sold 4 Pin's to member's Here.. Personal check's , and a Cashier's Check from the Country above.. Industrial Federal said the out of Country C.C would take a Week to 2 to clear,, Hell Fire ,Wachovia / Well's Fargo , they cleared it in 2-day's.. They do the Research .. I Trust the member's Here . Plus , the Pin stay's Stabbled , till the $$ is in my Hand..

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

After it was deposited in my account it took my bank 3 weeks to discover it was fake. Are these scams still going on?

Yes scams like this still do happen it is best to wait till the money gets credited to your account as B_R suggested before handing over the item to the buyer. That is the only way to prevent being taken like that again.

#9 8 years ago

Cash is King!

#10 8 years ago

I just sent out a few cashiers checks. they were issued by wellsfargo, I would hope those would clear ok the bank teller said they were guaranteed. I figured it would be better than an out of town personal check. never paid that way before though, normally it's always cash or pay pal.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Av8 said:

After it was deposited in my account it took my bank 3 weeks to discover it was fake. Are these scams still going on?
    Yes scams like this still do happen it is best to wait till the money gets credited to your account as B_R suggested before handing over the item to the buyer. That is the only way to prevent being taken like that again.

I had a guy try to do this with me today.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

my bank 3 weeks to discover it was fake

The reason it takes so long is because the rotating numbers on those checks
    circle around the freakin world before it hits back and the New check21 law
    should be in force at every bank.

#13 8 years ago

I bought all my pins over the years in Cash
    never could understand why some have to pull out the check book when an ad clearly states 'cash only' -sigh

#14 8 years ago

Cashiers checks are worse than personal checks and can put a stop payment on
    faster than a personal.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Cashiers checks are worse than personal checks and can put a stop payment on
    faster than a personal.

so which would be the preferred method if cash, credit/debit, pay pal and bank transfers aren't possible? money order? I was under the impression that those were worse.

#16 8 years ago

well, I know they are good on my end of things but you guys have me all paranoid now.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

so which would be the preferred method if cash, credit/debit, pay pal and bank transfers aren't possible? money order? I was under the impression that those were worse.

All i am saying is people think a cashiers check is really great and consider it to
    be just like cash but it is not and you can get burned.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

All i am saying is people think a cashiers check is really great and consider it to
    be just like cash but it is not and you can get burned

Thanks, Mike.

#19 8 years ago

The best is always Cash but sometimes a buyer will be across the country
    and shipping will have to be involved which is fine but do not let your item ship
    before payment clears and do not accept Paypal if the the buyer is gonna pickup

#20 8 years ago

Cash is king. Has a nice ring. I would actually take personal check from another known pinsider and release the pin when the bank clears it.

#21 8 years ago

bank to bank wire transfer.

#22 8 years ago

This is an out of state buyer in Hartford CT try to buy a pin from me. My first long distance transaction.

As for my earlier scam (about 10 years ago) ... The money was deposited to my account with the fake Cashiers Check. Cleared. Then 3 weeks later the bank removed it causing me to bounce checks. Which they then charged me 30.00 fees for. I disputed these and won ... Idiots. I would trust personal checks before MO or cashiers checks. I like the Post Office idea.

How safe is Paypal? Can it be disputed later by the scammer?

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I like the Post Office idea

Theres fake postal money orders out there too and if you take them
    to the P.O. and turns out fake you might as well pack a lunch and take
    with you.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

How safe is Paypal? Can it be disputed later by the scammer?

Make sure you hold on to your shipping bill of lading reciepts for awhile if your
    planning on taking Paypal.

#25 8 years ago

I always tell the person who asks if they can pay with a check, is to go to the bank and get cash. I tell them if the check is good, then go get cash, I'll hold it for them. Either they return, or they don't.

#26 8 years ago

CASH

#27 8 years ago

cash or US money order from the post office like davewth said. Best way to protect yourself...

#28 8 years ago

PayPal gift seems to work well for sellers. No fees and none of those buyer protection the scammers can try to use to their advantage. (cash is still best but I'm ok with PayPal gift long as I supervise them marketing it as a gift)

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

PayPal gift seems to work well for sellers.

That all changed and fees are now applied.Seller or buyer must pay the fees.

#30 8 years ago

Bank of America told me that by law they have 10 business days to return a check after that they take responsibility. So if you are paid by check and deposit it you have to wait 10 days before it is safe to ship the Pin.

cash is much easier.

or bank to bank Wire transfer

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Cash is king. Has a nice ring.

It is the saying for Dave Ramsey. He has a national show to help people live debit free. He says "Debt is Dumb, Cash is King!"

On that note, I like cash. Other than a machine I bought on Ebay back around 2000 or so.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

The best is always Cash but sometimes a buyer will be across the country
    and shipping will have to be involved which is fine but do not let your item ship
    before payment clears

Only way to go !!

#33 8 years ago

Obviously cash is king. 100 dollar bills too. Not 20s. Im in FL he's in CT! You cant hand the money that far.

#34 8 years ago

Cash if you meet the buyer in person. Cash is king.

Bank wire or western union / moneygram if it's long distance (WU/MG are expensive, but they have no "buyer protection" - otherwise known as "ways for buyer to screw the seller over").

Credit cards aren't acceptable, as the buyer can do a charge-back, and then you'll have to fight to get your $.

#35 8 years ago

Other than cash or paypal, I have done a wire transfer into my bank account. I would never take a check of any kind unless I knew the person.

#36 8 years ago

I would never take a check of any kind unless I knew the person.

I agree,, but Deal-n with member's Here ,, I look at How much they post and since i get Phone call's from so many Here,, I will let them do what is Necessary.. But like i said earlier, the Pin wont leave till the C.C or M.O or P.C has cleared and i have CASH-n-Hand !! If i would get a Bad-deal,, I'd find you a Run you down..

Hey_-n_-_there.jpg

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

If i would get a Bad-deal,, I'd find you a Run you down.. []

LOL, at least let the poor guy wipe first B_R...

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

BLACK_ROSE said:

If i would get a Bad-deal,, I'd find you a Run you down.. []

LOL, at least let the poor guy wipe first B_R... []

He or she can have the Par-emetics do it.. I see you have Yr Better avitar back,,

#39 8 years ago

ssathre ,, I just got back from Wells Fargo / Wachovia w/ Yr Cashiers Check ,, They Scaned it , Pulled yr Account info ,, and paid me in CASH .... Get yr Lift Gate Truck in Route..

#40 8 years ago

Will do, thanks BR!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 239.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 142.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside