(Topic ID: 152861)

Pay with your phone? Is this a common thing yet?

By scott_freeman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smokedog
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0049_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png
    GGB_(resized).jpg
    12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png
    Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_3.09.52_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_11.30.49_AM_(resized).png
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    ein-to-the-stein_(resized).jpg
    generation-of-idiots-on-cell-phones-1-638_(resized).jpg
    star-trek-uhura_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    PayRange_(resized).png
    635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG
    th_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep.

Top-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums_(resized).jpg

A lot of us miss JC.

#99 8 years ago

Does anyone here remember (between 10-15 years ago)when the EDS clearinghouse for interbank cash withdrawls was closed for five days due to a snow storm that caused a partial roof collapse?

No ATM withdrawals unless you were using your own banks' ATM. Cash was certainly king during that time.

A fine mess for US travelers overseas. Having an American Express card was very handy at the time as AMEX allowed cash withdrawals against the card and did not enforce a tie-in to a bank account.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

How often does that happen? I'm sure it can occur but I have never personally experienced a register going down and not being able to pay with a credit card so it's either not that common or I just been very lucky.

This past Christmas shopping season was the first time in many years where I did not experience at least one timeout/failed cc transaction. Most years I have a 2-5. The network is running a full capacity and sometimes can't handle every transaction.

#178 8 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Its been the single best thing I have done at my location. It's seriously a game changer! The best approach to building your sales on PayRange is to run promotions. This is an average week with PayRange alone. If anyone wants more information, please reach out to me. [email protected]

PayRange_(resized).png

I was just in Phoenix and saw Camelback Mountain!

#179 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I remember when cell phones didn't even exist...people got by back then, got out of the house, talked to their neighbors, kids had free reign of the neighborhood and didn't come home until dinner time...
    But, yes, a cell phone can be a very useful communications tool.

Same here. I know that even if cell and smart phones existed, my parents would never have spent what they cost today even in inflation adjusted dollars back in the 60's & 70's. We were given a dime to use for an emergency call (pay phones were everywhere and were a dime back then). But, when the movie let out and we needed a ride home, we put in the dime, called home letting the phone ring once and hung up. Got the dime back and one of my parents came to the theater and got us. Free paging courtesy of Michigan Bell.

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

from 2400 baud to 56k???!? Your flesh will ripple from all that speed!
    (I put together my 3rd grade newsletter on a Mac. Apple will always have a place in my heart)

I remember when Rockwell came out with the "K56" Modem cards. Virtually every fax machine built had them. Kept the plant on Butterfield Trail in El Paso (where all of the Gottlieb circuit boards were built) open for several years.

Rockwell Corporate actually asked all employees during the upcoming Christmas break to send a snail mail letter to one or two fax makers "urging them" to use Rockwell's K56 modem cards in their fax machines.

#181 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I think the main goal with pay range is to generate more plays and more money. So the 4% is just the cost of doing business.
    I always scratch my head when I run into "cash only" businesses, that seem to fret over a few points and don't look at the big picture of offering more payment options and raising revenues overall. It's a false belief to think that you'll get all the same business with cash as you would if you offered credit cards.
    The ops in this thread that have spoken about using it seem to feel it has helped their business overall.

This is primarily done for tax "purposes". The underground eCONomy is a wonderful thing.

#183 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It seems like big news here on Pinside, but the coinop rags have been reporting about electronic payment systems and their bottom line figures for years.

Love the multipage "Feature articles" in RePlay & Play Meter. Followed by full page ads by the COmpaNy featured in the article. For every three full page color ads purchased, we'll include a feature article. Five ads gives you front page billing and six ads give you the front page photo.

Quoted from vid1900:

it's like a baby Comcast.

Or SiriusXM.

#184 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like to be either operator in your world
    If I could bring in 100k I would happily claim it all!

If you brought in a lot more than you currently do in revenue, you'd get so hungry for more which would require more equipment that you would likely try and hide even more income freeing up cash to buy the new games. I love how distributors still take cash for new equipment.

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

(As a side note, the Golden Gate Bridge recently went cashless as well.)

Well I went over it about June 20th, 2014 and had already went cashless. Got my "love letter" when I got back home.... ten days later

GGB_(resized).jpgGGB_(resized).jpg

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

That used to be a free exit (you just paid a main line toll) But lot's of toll roads are moving to ETC only. The NEW EOE will be that way.

I always loved saying "The neatest thing about the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway is that is doesn't go to Elgin and it doesn't go to O'Hare. Soon I'll only be able to say it doesn't go to Elgin....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-with-your-phone-is-this-a-common-thing-yet?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.