(Topic ID: 152861)

Pay with your phone? Is this a common thing yet?

By scott_freeman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smokedog
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0049_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png
    GGB_(resized).jpg
    12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png
    Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_3.09.52_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_11.30.49_AM_(resized).png
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    ein-to-the-stein_(resized).jpg
    generation-of-idiots-on-cell-phones-1-638_(resized).jpg
    star-trek-uhura_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    PayRange_(resized).png
    635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG
    th_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Until the computerized cash register stops working.

Sorry, but you got that one backwards. When the Cash register goes down, Cash is pretty much the only option. You can't use a Smart Phone or Credit card (weather a magnetic strip or chip) if the register isn't working.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

How often does that happen? I'm sure it can occur but I have personally never experienced a register going down and not being able to pay with a credit card so it's either not that common or I just been very lucky.

A lot more than you think (and I work on Point of Sales equipment). And it's not so much luck, but you might have made a purchase with a credit card at a certain Point of Sale terminal, and five minutes later, The card reader or something else goes down and a dozen or so people who came up after you can't use a card. If they're lucky there's more than one register where they're at and someone else can do a transaction (IF there's someone to ring you up that is). But there are vendors and locations that only have one terminal or cashier available at times, and when the hardware is down, cash is the only option.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe, but since the guy or gal working the register usually can't count change, then we are sometimes in the same boat as those that need their smart phones to run their lives.

So the smart phone is a great multi hundred dollar calculator for the uneducated?

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Hey, those of us who can't count good aren't necessarily uneducated. I always preferred words to numbers. And I can't calculate tips without the calculator.

Just get one of these babies:

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And I've never had a cellphone, a versa-teller card (those people are funny), or one of those idiotic beepers. I've done fine for 50+ years without any of those inconveniences.

I WISH I could say the same. I had to use a pager at one time (and they do suck), have a cel Phone (LG flip phone) that if I didn't need it because of an elderly parent, I'd ditch, and recently started to use a smart phone at work. Rarely to make a call, but for running corporate apps that don't work!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-with-your-phone-is-this-a-common-thing-yet?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.