(Topic ID: 152861)

Pay with your phone? Is this a common thing yet?

By scott_freeman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smokedog
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0049_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png
    GGB_(resized).jpg
    12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png
    Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_3.09.52_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_11.30.49_AM_(resized).png
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    ein-to-the-stein_(resized).jpg
    generation-of-idiots-on-cell-phones-1-638_(resized).jpg
    star-trek-uhura_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    PayRange_(resized).png
    635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG
    th_(resized).jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 8 years ago

If you use it for a change machine wont you get hit with 3.9% from pay range? so someone puts in a dollar and gets 4 quarters but you just "lost" money from your change machine?

Quoted from MoonwalkerArcade:

All of my AMI jukeboxes use the ami app & take credit cards at the box itself. I also operate several ATMs. I even try to put change machines in bars that are too busy to give you quarters. Im all about finding a way for the customer to spend money at one of my accounts. PayRange is something I might try in change machines in my arcades where american changer wants $1k to sell you an update kit to accept credit. $50 is much more appealing upfront cost.

#202 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Time will tell us if in 20 years cell phone users will be the same.

Like that guy that his phone turned his hands into "trees" or whatever this is:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/01/asia/bangladesh-tree-man/?iid=ob_article_footer_expansion&iref=obinsite

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

If you use it for a change machine wont you get hit with 3.9% from pay range? so someone puts in a dollar and gets 4 quarters but you just "lost" money from your change machine?

This is true, you would. But I guess you always could charge $1.04 for four quarters?

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Don't want to sound like the creepy guy but....
    I work for one of the major Phone company in Canada. My job is to provision service and solve problems for cell phone users.
    Stories and facts I heard and saw in 20 years are crazy.
    I never had and never will have a cell during my lifetime. That's a personal choice.
    Just like everybody was smoking cigarettes in the 70..........
    A smoker these days is a timebomb and not trending....... Time will tell us if in 20 years cell phone users will be the same.

Hahahaha. Most ridiculous post I have ever read. Thanks for the late night laugh.

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hahahaha. Most ridiculous post I have ever read. Thanks for the late night laugh.

Wow you really don't read much baby.

Go have an x ray to check if you have cavities every single day then.

The motto at R&D : keep it away from your brain and your dick you should be fine hahahahaha

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Don't want to sound like the creepy guy but....
    I work for one of the major Phone company in Canada. My job is to provision service and solve problems for cell phone users.
    Stories and facts I heard and saw in 20 years are crazy.
    I never had and never will have a cell during my lifetime. That's a personal choice.
    Just like everybody was smoking cigarettes in the 70..........
    A smoker these days is a timebomb and not trending....... Time will tell us if in 20 years cell phone users will be the same.

You do realize you're being bombarded with RF everywhere you go, right? To extend your analogy, what you're doing is basically equivalent to not smoking while sitting in a stadium full of chain smokers.

#207 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

You do realize you're being bombarded with RF everywhere you go, right? To extend your analogy, what you're doing is basically equivalent to not smoking while sitting in a stadium full of chain smokers.

I read my post again from last night and yes does sound creepy. And you guys are awesome putting it into my face hahahaha

But to be the most ridiculous post ever wrote ? come on, I thought Kaneda had the Guinness for that.

I'm not one of these tree huggger, start recycling, eat healty, don't drink, don't use the micro wave, don't get high grampa (quite the opposite)

I am a smoker

We are in a world where time is way too short for all the things we have to do and it won't go slower no more. So yeah cells are here to stay and more and more wifi on everything Star Trek future is our destination.

It's a personnal choice not to own a cell phone not because of radiation we all get anyway going out of the house doing nothing.

To me not to own a phone is a personal choice to keep focus were I am all the time. Strippers, drunk with friend.... I don't want to be disturb lol.

A guy on the phone completely destroyed his car 3 years ago ending up in my not moving vehicule at the corner of the street on a red light. My car was not moving and the guy came out of his car with his phone in his hands telling me : sorry man, I did not see your lights on your orange vehicule. I was not moving for the last 3 minutes and that's the best you can come up with ? I personaly would have prefered being hit by a drunk driver lol.

Anyway, back to topic, or keep rubbing it in guys. Come on 1 creepy post in 4 years I think I am entitle to immunity here lol. Just let it go hahahahaha.

Brain cancer is an urban legend, it doesnt exist lol.

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Your bank charges you a fee to use a card? That sucks.

Using a card always has a cost. Most of the time the merchant pays that cost, not the customer. Do you remember seeing signs at the gas station like 5¢ (cents) a gallon discount for cash?

Financial services try hard to make it easier for consumers to spend more money so they can take a percentage of that money.

There is also a cost to using cash. As a merchant you have to count, store, and transport that cash somehow. What can you do with the time & effort you save handling less cash? Can you use that time and effort to generate more income, enough to offset the percentage you're paying the electronic payment handler?

This is a great conversation. I like thinking about how people actually obtain the change for the machines. Change machine, bartender, ATM, all have costs. Seems like it's all about removing barriers, making it easier for customers to spend money. I don't see cash going away in the near future. I do see more people using electronic payment methods for small transactions.

We live in interesting times.

#209 8 years ago

For me, it's no problem if I have to pay .04 to make $1 that I wouldn't have otherwise.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Using a card always has a cost. Most of the time the merchant pays that cost

That's my point. Anytime using my card incurs a fee, I'm not paying it. Like you said, it's the merchants that need to decide if the added security and ease of offering electronic payment are worth the fee. In most cases, it's more than worth it.

I have clients that are completely paperless that make money hand over fist. I also have clients that it looks like they are on the set of mad men, and they make money hand over fist. technology can definitely help. But so can doing things the old fashioned way if you do it well.

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

What's a smart phone? You mean they make phones that mount on your kitchen wall that have push buttons instead of a rotary dial? My how the world changes so fast these days........
    I've been without a "smart phone", Paypal, and a credit card all these years and I'm not about to start using any of them now. Cash is king !!

Try that while on board a commercial flight, when you want to purchase something to drink or snack on.

Or many newer exits on the Illinois Tollway, including the one for Pinball Life.

-Mark

Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).pngTollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Hey Scott, RePlay did a story a few months ago about Pelicanos setup at Sun Ray Lanes using PayRange. I have thought about using it since reading the article, but i have 50+ vending/amusement machines at the location where i'd be interested in trying it out and would need $3k to equip all of my machines with their hardware.
    I also already have two change machines and a ATM in there so that has me reluctant to purchase, but i still might try it with a few of my popular machines to see if it helps. I'm game for anything that will help with earnings these days and my spot is mostly college kids carrying plastic so i could see it helping with some vending and arcade machines.
    Let me know if you want me to send you the RePlay issue it's a four page write-up and Tony shares some of PayRanges benefits so far. I thought it was an interesting article.
    20160222_190810_(resized).jpg

Late to the party here -- I'll spew some info from an operator's viewpoint -- I've got 52 payrange units on my games & vending machines. I bought 24 initially, and then kept expanding. You don't have to buy them in 12-packs, you can buy smaller quantities if you contact payrange directly.

I was originally going to put them on my highest earning machines, but the sales guy suggested trying to outfit one location completely, even if it's just the pins (and not the video games) -- Because people are more likely to use the app if they can use it on everything (including a 1962 Electro-mechanical pin!). I went with this route, knowing that I could move the underperforming units after a couple month trial if I wanted to. 5 months in, the slow video games have paid for their units. Everything else paid for itself quickly. At the 5 month point, revenue is consistently up 25% at my largest location (11 pins, 6 video games), and I have it on a few other pin-heavy locations.

The payrange units are the same for vending ($49 MDB interface) and amusement ($69 pulse interface) -- The difference being the required relay board, 12v power adapter (plugs into the service outlet), and 9-pin DBA pass-through harness, which are included in the $20 amusement kit. The kit is required, but if you operate vending also, you can move units around between the different interfaces (you need to let payrange know, so they can assign the correct parameters to it).

They connect to the user's phone using bluetooth, and then use the user's cell phone data connection to talk to the servers. This gets around the $10-$15/month fee that credit card swipe readers have. The card readers ($350+) also typically charge $0.10 per transaction + 2.5%-3%. Payrange doesn't charge a per-transaction fee, and on a $0.50 pinball, the transaction fee is $0.02. Split with the location, it's a penny. Multiply that by 100 games in a week that have been played BECAUSE payrange was available, and the operator is paying $0.50 in fees (after split) for the increase in revenue -- I'd happily pay $0.50 in fees for a $50 increase in revenue. There's also no activation fee for payrange, and free shipping on the units.

Games still take coins & bills. A bill acceptor is ~$100 - If you'd put a bill acceptor on a game, why wouldn't you put a PR unit on a game at $69? If your game has a bill acceptor, the payrange unit installs in minutes (literally, 4 minutes or less!) with no cutting, drilling, or soldering. No running network cables or fussing with a location changing the wifi password monthly.

You can adjust the # of pulses per swipe, $ amount, pulse length, and pulse spacing. They've also recently added multi-tiered pricing for the $0.75, 3/$2 situation (requires the latest version of the app to see the choices). Their android app is continually improving, with a new version every 10-14 days. They're receptive to feedback from players and operators.

To further adoption of PR by players, I'm using Tony's pricing structure of $1 cash or $0.89 PR. The 3/$2 bonus works out to be $1.78PR (I kept the bonus after talking with players). I've also enabled the rewards program on any game that's $0.75+. Creating coupon codes as prizes for league/tournament is a nice touch that costs the operator minimal machine wear & tear. In addition, I created a $0.25 off your first 4 games of pinball discount that's active without a coupon. Bartender/fellow player mentions that to the customer, customer becomes hooked.

Feedback from players is wonderful/positive. Also, now when the change machine runs out of quarters, the games can still make money. One player commented that he's now aware of how much his pinball habit costs, in addition to spending more because he doesn't see the quarters going in the machine.

It's not for every location, and not for every player. I wouldn't go payrange only either, since some users don't have smartphones or a credit card.

Another note -- While the app defaults to a $10 choice when you go to load funds, you can select $5 (or a higher amount - One of my customers has her reload amount at $100 to not have to bother with it as much). The $5 minimum helps offset the per-transaction fee on their end from the card processing house for the $5 wallet reload fee.

Payment to the operator is made by direct-deposit into a bank account once a week (Mondays, or Tuesday if Monday was a holiday), complete with emailed statement and analytics. Average spend per user, # of unique users this week/all time, lifetime average per device, etc. You can also see how many unique users you had on a particular machine. You can't, however, track specific users.

Also -- I'm not a pinside regular, so if there are specific questions, PM me to bring me back to this thread. Hopefully some of this info helps.

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

Try that while on board a commercial flight, when you want to purchase something to drink or snack on.
    Or many newer exits on the Illinois Tollway, including the one for Pinball Life.
    -Mark

We'll let me see.....I'll never fly on a plane in my life and as far as going to Pinball Life...? I'll catch a ride with someone else. Why is it so hard for people to understand that if someone like myself doesn't want a phone we don't need one ? I've gone 48 years without one so why start now ? I see people sitting in restaurants with there family and all of them are on the phone because there addicted to them and cant put them down for a hour to have family time and I pity them, especially the five year kids. UGH!! I'm not saying people shouldn't have them but its just something I don't need. Simply enough.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#214 8 years ago

We'll let me see.....I'll never fly on a plane in my life and as far as going to Pinball Life...? I'll catch a ride with someone else. Why is it so hard for people to understand that if someone like myself doesn't want a phone we don't need one ? I've gone 48 years without one so why start now ? I see people sitting in restaurants with there family and all of them are on the phone because there addicted to them and cant put them down for a hour to have family time and I pity them, especially the five year kids. UGH!! I'm not saying people shouldn't have them but its just something I don't need. Simply enough.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

I was simply referring to "cash is king." That's not always the case these days, although it usually is in auctions and Craigslist.

Having worked in the lodging industry, I can tell you not having some sort of plastic will make your life difficult in many places, but not impossible.

Some businesses won't accept cash anymore. Period.

Having to catch a ride with someone to use a tollway exit seems impractical, unless you can't/don't drive.

(As a side note, the Golden Gate Bridge recently went cashless as well.)

With as many shows as I attend and network at, I can't see never being on a plane. But if you did fly, you could always buy/bring your own goodies on the plane from the terminal.

My pinball machines accept quarters, $1, $2, $5 bills, and PayRange.

I actually agree with you on the phones, and pitying people addicted to them, constantly needing to be "in touch" and online, everywhere.

I am old school all the way, and change for the sake of change is ridiculous. However, it doesn't hurt to adapt or be open to some modern conveniences, that aren't exactly bleeding edge tech.

-Mark

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from tjbeyer:

Late to the party here -- I'll spew some info from an operator's viewpoint -- I've got 52 payrange units on my games & vending machines. I bought 24 initially, and then kept expanding. You don't have to buy them in 12-packs, you can buy smaller quantities if you contact payrange directly.
    I was originally going to put them on my highest earning machines, but the sales guy suggested trying to outfit one location completely, even if it's just the pins (and not the video games) -- Because people are more likely to use the app if they can use it on everything (including a 1962 Electro-mechanical pin!). I went with this route, knowing that I could move the underperforming units after a couple month trial if I wanted to. 5 months in, the slow video games have paid for their units. Everything else paid for itself quickly. At the 5 month point, revenue is consistently up 25% at my largest location (11 pins, 6 video games), and I have it on a few other pin-heavy locations.
    The payrange units are the same for vending ($49 MDB interface) and amusement ($69 pulse interface) -- The difference being the required relay board, 12v power adapter (plugs into the service outlet), and 9-pin DBA pass-through harness, which are included in the $20 amusement kit. The kit is required, but if you operate vending also, you can move units around between the different interfaces (you need to let payrange know, so they can assign the correct parameters to it).
    They connect to the user's phone using bluetooth, and then use the user's cell phone data connection to talk to the servers. This gets around the $10-$15/month fee that credit card swipe readers have. The card readers ($350+) also typically charge $0.10 per transaction + 2.5%-3%. Payrange doesn't charge a per-transaction fee, and on a $0.50 pinball, the transaction fee is $0.02. Split with the location, it's a penny. Multiply that by 100 games in a week that have been played BECAUSE payrange was available, and the operator is paying $0.50 in fees (after split) for the increase in revenue -- I'd happily pay $0.50 in fees for a $50 increase in revenue. There's also no activation fee for payrange, and free shipping on the units.
    Games still take coins & bills. A bill acceptor is ~$100 - If you'd put a bill acceptor on a game, why wouldn't you put a PR unit on a game at $69? If your game has a bill acceptor, the payrange unit installs in minutes (literally, 4 minutes or less!) with no cutting, drilling, or soldering. No running network cables or fussing with a location changing the wifi password monthly.
    You can adjust the # of pulses per swipe, $ amount, pulse length, and pulse spacing. They've also recently added multi-tiered pricing for the $0.75, 3/$2 situation (requires the latest version of the app to see the choices). Their android app is continually improving, with a new version every 10-14 days. They're receptive to feedback from players and operators.
    To further adoption of PR by players, I'm using Tony's pricing structure of $1 cash or $0.89 PR. The 3/$2 bonus works out to be $1.78PR (I kept the bonus after talking with players). I've also enabled the rewards program on any game that's $0.75+. Creating coupon codes as prizes for league/tournament is a nice touch that costs the operator minimal machine wear & tear. In addition, I created a $0.25 off your first 4 games of pinball discount that's active without a coupon. Bartender/fellow player mentions that to the customer, customer becomes hooked.
    Feedback from players is wonderful/positive. Also, now when the change machine runs out of quarters, the games can still make money. One player commented that he's now aware of how much his pinball habit costs, in addition to spending more because he doesn't see the quarters going in the machine.
    It's not for every location, and not for every player. I wouldn't go payrange only either, since some users don't have smartphones or a credit card.
    Another note -- While the app defaults to a $10 choice when you go to load funds, you can select $5 (or a higher amount - One of my customers has her reload amount at $100 to not have to bother with it as much). The $5 minimum helps offset the per-transaction fee on their end from the card processing house for the $5 wallet reload fee.
    Payment to the operator is made by direct-deposit into a bank account once a week (Mondays, or Tuesday if Monday was a holiday), complete with emailed statement and analytics. Average spend per user, # of unique users this week/all time, lifetime average per device, etc. You can also see how many unique users you had on a particular machine. You can't, however, track specific users.
    Also -- I'm not a pinside regular, so if there are specific questions, PM me to bring me back to this thread. Hopefully some of this info helps.

Thanks for your detailed post. This was just what I was thinking, tangible evidence that your revenues were up.

#216 8 years ago

I installed PayRange on 30+ machines at Main Street Amusements back in November. Most of the discussion on Pinside seems to be centered around PayRange as an alternative payment method, but for me the ability to easily run promotions is just as important. We ran a promotion on out 4th anniversary where every game in the place was 25¢. We had a great response. It took me about ten minutes on the computer to set up the promotion. There's no way I would have done this if it meant going around to each machine and manually changing the pricing. We've also run occasional half price specials which have been well received. It's an easy way to reward your regulars.
    We have had some problems. As someone posted earlier sometimes it takes a while for the app to locate a particular game. Part of that has to do with the number of games here. It also seems to be more of an issue with some Android devices and not so much with Apple.
    I've been pretty happy with the results so far, and PayRange is making improvements to the app regularly. The latest version has a drop down menu to support multiple play pricing, so now one swipe can add four credits - definitely easier than dropping twelve tokens in.
    PayRange accounts for about 15% of my business. The majority of our regulars use it, but very few of our casual walk-in players do. That's the beauty of having it as an ADDITIONAL payment method. We're not forcing anyone to use it, but it's there as an option. The casual player who just randomly walks in off the street to play a few games is not going to want to have to download an app to be able to play, but the repeat customers will, particularly if you give them an incentive to do so.

12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png

#217 8 years ago

How "confusing" can you make the pricing? I was thinking Dave & Busters method of the customer not knowing what they were paying is a good model. Especially when you try to push past $1 for a game.

Is there a way on Payrange for customers to buy "credit" and then charge "credits" for games? Or is it always locked to a dollar value?

Ie:

$5 buys 12 credits
    $10 buys 26 credits
    $20 buys 57 credits
    $50 buys 160 credits * Best Value*

and then games are priced at:

1 Play = 4.5 credits

Another game is 2.4 credits

a brand new game is 6.3 credits.

Just something convoluted and no one can figure it out. Because it is amazing at D&B that most games are priced well over $1 and no one notices or can figure it out.

#218 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

-Mark

That used to be a free exit (you just paid a main line toll) But lot's of toll roads are moving to ETC only. The NEW EOE will be that way.

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

(As a side note, the Golden Gate Bridge recently went cashless as well.)

Well I went over it about June 20th, 2014 and had already went cashless. Got my "love letter" when I got back home.... ten days later

GGB_(resized).jpgGGB_(resized).jpg

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

That used to be a free exit (you just paid a main line toll) But lot's of toll roads are moving to ETC only. The NEW EOE will be that way.

I always loved saying "The neatest thing about the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway is that is doesn't go to Elgin and it doesn't go to O'Hare. Soon I'll only be able to say it doesn't go to Elgin....

#221 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I always loved saying "The neatest thing about the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway is that is doesn't go to Elgin and it doesn't go to O'Hare. Soon I'll only be able to say it doesn't go to Elgin....

well if they do a full hanover park bypass it will all most to go elgin.

Best to move that talk over to

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8551.0

#222 8 years ago

what do you set the pulse on and pulse off values at for a stern ? im also having trouble giving too many credits.
    using the defaults as shipped, its giving 3 credits for 50 cents, instead of only 1 credit. its doing this on all the sterns.
    i actually want it at 75 cents for 1 credit.
    so on the device, what exact settings per game should be set? also, games already have dbv. do i need change anything in the machine menu as far as pulses for dbv? just curious why its giving too many credits.

#223 8 years ago

also, how to set , for example. pay for 5 games get the next one free?

#224 8 years ago

what do you set the pulse on and pulse off values at for a stern ? im also having trouble giving too many credits.
    using the defaults as shipped, its giving 3 credits for 50 cents, instead of only 1 credit. its doing this on all the sterns.
    so on the device, what exact settings per game should be set? also, games already have dbv. do i need change anything in the machine menu as far as pulses for dbv? just curious why its giving too many credits.

Have it on the bill line? seems like the game is seeing 3 plays for $2

#225 8 years ago

I agree with Joe on this one - it's pulsing 2 times. Because it's hooked up to the DBV it's counting it as $2. What you'll need to do is change the settings for the DBV (via switch on the side) and game software to so that it's four pulses per dollar instead of the default 1 pulse. Then your $.50 on PayRange would be accurate.

#226 8 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

I agree with Joe on this one - it's pulsing 2 times. Because it's hooked up to the DBV it's counting it as $2. What you'll need to do is change the settings for the DBV (via switch on the side) and game software to so that it's four pulses per dollar instead of the default 1 pulse. Then your $.50 on PayRange would be accurate.

This is correct. If hooked up to a DBV, it's counting each pulse for a dollar.

If you're hooked directly into the coin switch, each pulse is 25 cents, so set your pulses accordingly.

Haven't done "5th game free" type promotions yet, but I believe that would be what PayRange calls a "reward".

#227 8 years ago

If you're using a bill acceptor AND your game is set to $1/game, then connect the payrange device using the 9 pin connector to the bill acceptor line. If your game is set to anything less than $1/game, splice it into the coin switch wires (left coin or right coin).

Example: [alternate settings in brackets] (explanation in parenthesis)
    Price Per Credit: 1.00 [1.00] (This is the amount that is deducted from the payrange user's account per swipe)
    Cash Value Per Pulse: 1.00 [0.25] (This is the value that the machine thinks each switch closure is - Bill input or coin switch)
    Pulses per credit: 1 [4]
    Pulse On: 100ms (This is how long the PR unit holds the coin switch on, in milliseconds. For EM machines, increase to 250)
    Pulse Off: 100ms [400ms] (This is how long the PR unit waits between switch closures. If hooked up to coin switch instead of bill input, I recommend 400ms - My Creature needed this, so now I just set them all at 400 if there are multiple pulses on a coin switch)

Some WPC games don't change the value of the bill input even if you change the coin door type in game adjustments, so I've started going straight to the coin switch input on it. There's an extra connector on the coin door interface board for a second coin door that you can connect the payrange wires to for left coin and sw ground, if you're worried about splicing into the game wiring.

So for a "I'm tired of fussing with it and just want it to work on 50c a game" settings, hook it up to the coin switch (NOT the bill input) and use these settings (It will now interface as quarters): (The attached picture is of a game that's hooked up to the coin switch and is straight $0.50/game, with the 5/$2 bonus being on the machine side)
    Price per credit $0.50
    Cash Value per pulse $0.25
    Pulses per credit: 2
    Pulse on: 100ms
    Pulse off: 400ms
    For $0.75, increase price per credit to $0.75 and pulses per credit to 2.

The "enable rewards" checkbox enables the "buy 7, get one free" rewards program, where the user has to buy 7 games on the same machine within 60 days of the first purchase, and they get a free one on ANY of the machines tied to your account.

Let me know if you still have issues/questions and I'll try to help further.

Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png

#228 8 years ago

Just re-read this & realized you're going for $0.75. Because the bill input on stern pins is set for 1 pulse = $1.00 of credit, the easiest way is to hook it up to the coin switch. There's a way to do it where you set custom pricing and change the bill acceptor dip switch, but there are a lot of variables and things that can go wrong when you do that. Also, if you update the game code on your game or the batteries die, you have to remember that you've used a non-standard set of coinage settings on the game. Going to the coin switch avoids all of this for non-$1 games.

Blue & Yellow wires spliced into the coin switch wires. 9 pin connectors not connected to game.
    Price per credit $0.75
    Cash Value per pulse $0.25
    Pulses per credit: 3
    Pulse on: 100ms
    Pulse off: 400ms
    The machine will see each pulse as a quarter, and will give 3 of them per swipe, charging the customer $0.75, and putting a slight pause between each coin pulse.

#229 8 years ago

if stern, when connecting payrange device to dbv harness, is 1 pulse from dbv hookup,
    cant you just configure like this if .75 per credit?

price per credit: .75
    cash value per pulse .75
    pulse per credit 1
    \
    or would give the machine 1 1/3 credit?

#230 8 years ago

if stern, when connecting payrange device to dbv harness, is 1 pulse from dbv hookup,
    cash value per pulse .75
    pulse per credit 1
    \

cash value per pulse .75
    pulse per credit 1
    \

The machine will give 1 1/3 credits for 1 pulse on the DBV line - Same as a dollar bill.

The machine knows 2 types of inputs - DBV (at $1.00 per closure) and Coin (at $0.25 per closure).
    If you're connected to the DBV input, the machine thinks that it's getting a dollar of credit for the 1 pulse. This is great if you're charging $1/game. Not very useful if you're charging more or less than $1.00/game.

If you're connected to the coin switch input, the machine thinks that it's getting $0.25 of credit per pulse, so you need to set payrange to send 3 pulses. When sending multiple pulses, it's a good idea to space them apart. 100ms pulse on, 400ms pulse off is pretty safe - I have yet to find a machine that doesn't like this setting. 400ms between pulses is still faster than most people can get a machine to accept multiple coins.

#232 8 years ago

cash value per pulse .75
    pulse per credit 1
    \

I got tripped up by this in the beginning. "Cash value per pulse" doesn't do anything if you're hooking into a pinball machine. All pulses are 25 cents, as far as I can tell (and a DBV will send multiple 25 cent pulses to achieve the right amount).

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

What's a smart phone? You mean they make phones that mount on your kitchen wall that have push buttons instead of a rotary dial? My how the world changes so fast these days........
    I've been without a "smart phone", Paypal, and a credit card all these years and I'm not about to start using any of them now. Cash is king !!
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

+1

#234 8 years ago

Ain't paying for anything w/a damn phone. Technology for lazy asses..............

#235 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

Ain't paying for anything w/a damn phone. Technology for lazy asses..............

Luddite!

#237 8 years ago

For those in Canada, trying to operate early Bally electronic pins. You can install $1 Canada Happ mechs, just remove the triangle plastic held by a screw at the opening. Change out the quarter steel entry, with a SBA one. Guys want to operate on loonies, so $1 = 2 credits/plays.

IMG_0049_(resized).JPGIMG_0049_(resized).JPG

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Not available in Canuckistan.

It is. I emailed them a while back. Supports Canadian currency.

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It is. I emailed them a while back. Supports Canadian currency.

Nice! They should update their website. Hmmm, this may change some of my evil plans ...

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-with-your-phone-is-this-a-common-thing-yet/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.