(Topic ID: 152861)

Pay with your phone? Is this a common thing yet?

By scott_freeman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smokedog
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0049_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png
    GGB_(resized).jpg
    12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png
    Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_3.09.52_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_11.30.49_AM_(resized).png
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    ein-to-the-stein_(resized).jpg
    generation-of-idiots-on-cell-phones-1-638_(resized).jpg
    star-trek-uhura_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    PayRange_(resized).png
    635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG
    th_(resized).jpg
    There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Sorry, but you got that one backwards. When the Cash register goes down, Cash is pretty much the only option. You can't use a Smart Phone or Credit card (weather a magnetic strip or chip) if the register isn't working.

Maybe, but since the guy or gal working the register usually can't count change, then we are sometimes in the same boat as those that need their smart phones to run their lives.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

How often does that happen? I'm sure it can occur but I have never personally experienced a register going down and not being able to pay with a credit card so it's either not that common or I just been very lucky.

This past Christmas shopping season was the first time in many years where I did not experience at least one timeout/failed cc transaction. Most years I have a 2-5. The network is running a full capacity and sometimes can't handle every transaction.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe, but since the guy or gal working the register usually can't count change, then we are sometimes in the same boat as those that need their smart phones to run their lives.

So the smart phone is a great multi hundred dollar calculator for the uneducated?

#104 8 years ago

So the smart phone is a great multi hundred dollar calculator for the uneducated?

Hey, those of us who can't count good aren't necessarily uneducated. I always preferred words to numbers. And I can't calculate tips without the calculator.

#105 8 years ago

It sure seems the more of those phones there are, the more stupid people there are.

#106 8 years ago

OK, but how many times have you tried to use cash in a pinball machine on location and the coin slot was jammed or wouldn't accept coins? It's certainly happened to me many more times than I have had a problem using my debit card to make a purchase in a shop. I can't even remember the last time I couldn't use the card but a GOT I tried to play just last week wouldn't take my coins. It would be nice to have the option to use both.

#107 8 years ago

Oh dear lord, o-din. Is your house lit with candles? Ride a horse to work?

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Hey, those of us who can't count good aren't necessarily uneducated. I always preferred words to numbers. And I can't calculate tips without the calculator.

Just get one of these babies:

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh dear lord, o-din. Is your house lit with candles? Ride a horse to work?

I use traditional incandescent bulbs but no candles. I don't like the fumes. And I drive a Toyota. But if it makes you feel better it is a 2001. And I'm hoping it will be my last vehicle ever. Not that I don't like new, but this Tacoma is the best I've owned.

#110 8 years ago

Just get one of these babies:
    th_(resized).jpg

Believe me, young Cornelius had plenty of those.

O-din, why would a 2001 Toyota make me feel anything?

#111 8 years ago

And I've never had a cellphone, a versa-teller card (those people are funny), or one of those idiotic beepers. I've done fine for 50+ years without any of those inconveniences.

When I leave my house all I need is my keys and my wallet. And my sunglasses.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

O-din, why would a 2001 Toyota make me feel anything?

Because it's 15 years old. Listening to you I'd go have to buy a new one with all that other crap they put in cars now.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Because it's 15 years old. Listening to you I'd go have to buy a new one with all that other crap they put in cars now.

You've got me all wrong! Besides I'm only seven years behind you, so it's not like I'm some whippersnapper doing donuts on your lawn.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And I've never had a cellphone, a versa-teller card (those people are funny), or one of those idiotic beepers. I've done fine for 50+ years without any of those inconveniences.

I WISH I could say the same. I had to use a pager at one time (and they do suck), have a cel Phone (LG flip phone) that if I didn't need it because of an elderly parent, I'd ditch, and recently started to use a smart phone at work. Rarely to make a call, but for running corporate apps that don't work!

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Besides I'm only seven years behind you, so it's not like I'm some whippersnapper doing donuts on your lawn.

I stay young by traveling light. Speak softly and carry a fat wallet is my motto.

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I stay young be traveling lightly. Speak softly and carry a fat wallet is my motto.

And if you get mugged, pickpocketed, fleeced, victimized?

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

And if you get mugged, pickpocketed, fleeced, victimized?

I don't plan on it. Hoods respect me because I look like a mean dog. And I forgot to mention the big stick.

#118 8 years ago

That's fair.

#119 8 years ago

Am I missing something? I don't understand why anyone would be against these devices being on pins.

I mean yeah, the stickers on the machines are a bit of an eyesore. But if these became more common, it could just be a sticker on the coinbox.

It's not like the devices are coming in to barricade the coin slots and force you to use them. This isn't just a good thing, but somewhat necessary for the growth of pinball moving forward.

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Am I missing something? I don't understand why anyone would be against these devices being on pins.
    I mean yeah, the stickers on the machines are a bit of an eyesore. But if these became more common, it could just be a sticker on the coinbox.
    It's not like the devices are coming in to barricade the coin slots and force you to use them. This isn't just a good thing, but somewhat necessary for the growth of pinball moving forward.

On one hand, it costs $$$ to implement. On the other, it's another avenue of payment for folks who don't carry change, or folks who don't want to bother to get change (if they carry cash at all).

That said, is there any other mobile payment system available that has been used in coinop, other than payrange?

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

On one hand, it costs $$$ to implement. On the other, it's another avenue of payment for folks who don't carry change, or folks who don't want to bother to get change (if they carry cash at all).
    That said, is there any other mobile payment system available that has been used in coinop, other than payrange?

Yeah I guess I should've clarified, that from the customer standpoint it seems like there's no downside.

And to answer your follow-up, I personally haven't heard of anything other than Payrange.

#122 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

why would a 2001 Toyota make me feel anything?

Toyota - oh what a feeling...

635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG

#123 8 years ago

Its been the single best thing I have done at my location. It's seriously a game changer! The best approach to building your sales on PayRange is to run promotions. This is an average week with PayRange alone. If anyone wants more information, please reach out to me. [email protected]

PayRange_(resized).pngPayRange_(resized).png

#124 8 years ago

The most interesting thing about this conversation to me is: everyone involved is in on the Internet. You may never have a cell phone or a credit card or take anything than cold hard cash, but the Internet... That's okay, that can stay.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

but the Internet... That's okay, that can stay.

As soon as I can post on Pinside in a non internet way, I'll give it a go.

LTG : )

#126 8 years ago

So why is the Internet an acceptable form of technology but cell phones aren't?

#127 8 years ago

if you have kids, parents need cell phones. i stay in contact hourly with my kids and other family members. these days you have to. safety is a must. kids cant get away with as much mischief and emergencies are the number 1 reason to have a cell phone. if your kid breaks down out on the boonies do you want them walking up to a strangers house asking to use a phone or walking forever to get to a public place? texting is the number 1 form of communication these days in addition to messaging online. its a quick easy way to check in or ask a simple question. not everyone can talk on the phone. work, school and everything else gets in the way. every court show on tv uses phones texts, messaging, pix for evidence every episode. get with the times. change is ok.

#128 8 years ago

Love Love Love PayRange!! We put it on every machine at Fargo Pinball and would do it again in a heart beat.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

if you have kids, parents need cell phones. i stay in contact hourly with my kids and other family members. these days you have to. safety is a must. kids cant get away with as much mischief and emergencies are the number 1 reason to have a cell phone. if your kid breaks down out on the boonies do you want them walking up to a strangers house asking to use a phone or walking forever to get to a public place? texting is the number 1 form of communication these days in addition to messaging online. its a quick easy way to check in or ask a simple question. not everyone can talk on the phone. work, school and everything else gets in the way. every court show on tv uses phones texts, messaging, pix for evidence every episode. get with the times. change is ok.

I remember when cell phones didn't even exist...people got by back then, got out of the house, talked to their neighbors, kids had free reign of the neighborhood and didn't come home until dinner time...

But, yes, a cell phone can be a very useful communications tool.

#130 8 years ago

thats because the bar owns the games, no split with an op. plus bar makes money off of drinks, food, etc.
    goes hand in hand.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

All the games at our Denver 1up locations are .50 cents to play. Others surrounding go as high as $1.00 a play.

#131 8 years ago

yeah and i know i would have not got away as much as i did when i was younger if i had a cell phone and my mom could call me and tell me prove where im at, put her on video chat, take pic, etc. People did get by yes, but crime and many other negative things have went down now since phones can instantly take pix, vids, live vids and get bad people in trouble.
    kids cant use excuses now. trust me its better.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I remember when cell phones didn't even exist...people got by back then, got out of the house, talked to their neighbors, kids had free reign of the neighborhood and didn't come home until dinner time...
    But, yes, a cell phone can be a very useful communications tool.

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Embrace the future, don't be afraid of it.

I don't always embrace the future by paying with newfangled technology. But when I do, I use it to play old mechanical arcade machines.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

The most interesting thing about this conversation to me is: everyone involved is in on the Internet. You may never have a cell phone or a credit card or take anything than cold hard cash, but the Internet... That's okay, that can stay.

It stays at home and it stays at work. That's where I leave it. Just like the phone.

#134 8 years ago

If this was implemented at some of the locations in the Cincinnati area it would for sure increase play. I would use it too. Hate carrying around change or a wallet full of cash.

That being said, I and jealous of the people that don't need to be connected all the time. If I were to get rid of my cell phone I would no longer have a job, and my wife would probably leave me. Haha.

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Cash is king !!

Until you need to rent a car, book a hotel room or buy a plane ticket.

#136 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

buy a plane ticket.

Go to the airport and buy one. That is how I did it.

LTG : )

#137 8 years ago

Yeah, not really seeing why this is a bad thing. It's not replacing coins, it's adding another way to pay besides coins.

Just a bunch of grumpy old men who like to complain.

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It stays at home and it stays at work. That's where I leave it. Just like the phone.

What is "it"? The Internet?

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Until you need to rent a car, book a hotel room or buy a plane ticket.

Not really, I've done all those things and more with just cash....You'd be amazed.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, not really seeing why this is a bad thing. It's not replacing coins, it's adding another way to pay besides coins.
    Just a bunch of grumpy old men who like to complain.

I'm not saying its a bad thing really...its just not for me. I get the whole more options for paying thing, which should bring in more revenue for the operator and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd just rather put my coins in the game and I like being simple. Yes I have the internet though and the only reason I bought a computer back in 1997 was to find more pinball stuff...now I use it for other things as well but I don't need it in my back pocket 24/7.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

What is "it"? The Internet?

My computer.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#143 8 years ago

if you're interneting on one of those candy colored iMacs? Much respect indeed.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I always referred to them as boat anchors since they had the handle on them.

#145 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Dial up's getting too slow, I may have to upgrade.

#146 8 years ago

from 2400 baud to 56k???!? Your flesh will ripple from all that speed!

(I put together my 3rd grade newsletter on a Mac. Apple will always have a place in my heart)

#147 8 years ago

*Following

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not really, I've done all those things and more with just cash....You'd be amazed.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

It's true, you can get by with cash, but it is becoming more inconvenient to do so. This past weekend I saw someone turned away at a hotel front desk because they didn't have a credit card to put on file for damages, even though the room was *fully paid*. The only workaround available was to go to a Walmart down the street to load a prepaid card with cash and come back. Like it or not we have little choice but to pay an extra 3% tax to our banking overlords.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Like it or not we have little choice but to pay an extra 3% tax to our banking overlords.

Your bank charges you a fee to use a card? That sucks.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Its been the single best thing I have done at my location. It's seriously a game changer! The best approach to building your sales on PayRange is to run promotions. This is an average week with PayRange alone. If anyone wants more information, please reach out to me. [email protected]

PayRange_(resized).png

that the breast graph I have ever seen and so Keira Knightley.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-with-your-phone-is-this-a-common-thing-yet/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.