(Topic ID: 152861)

Pay with your phone? Is this a common thing yet?

By scott_freeman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by smokedog
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0049_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Shot_2016-03-01_at_11.06.30_AM_(resized).png
    GGB_(resized).jpg
    12792325_1118657211504472_6614262049131700262_o_(resized).png
    Tollway-Huntely-one-half-mile_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_3.09.52_PM_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-27_at_11.30.49_AM_(resized).png
    download_(1)_(resized).jpg
    ein-to-the-stein_(resized).jpg
    generation-of-idiots-on-cell-phones-1-638_(resized).jpg
    star-trek-uhura_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    PayRange_(resized).png
    635799342865224790-isil_(resized).JPG
    th_(resized).jpg
    There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 8 years ago

Technology is once again making the complicated tasks in our lives much easier.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh no, the poor plight of the operator now?

Without the op, there'd be no location pins.

LTG : )™

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'm fine with quarters, always has been that way and the way it should stay.

I'm fine with quarters too.

When a customer needs change, it gives me a chance to interact with them. See how they are. What is new with them. Let them know to inform me if they have problems with any game.

One of the reasons I got rid of the change machine 25 years ago. I was losing the interaction with my customers, the people I care about.

LTG : )

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

One of the reasons I got rid of the change machine 25 years ago. I was losing the interaction with my customers, the people I care about.

I'm guessing you won't be putting in one of these phone acceptors any time soon.

#55 8 years ago

Hmm doesn't anyone use their phone to CALL anyone anymore???

faz

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing you won't be putting in one of these phone acceptors any time soon.

You guessed right !

#57 8 years ago

I'm starting to think that the pinball hobby is comprised of dudes who can't handle things changing, and dudes that are just complete a-holes.

#58 8 years ago

Cornelius has spoken.

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Cornelious has spoken.

images_(resized).jpg

Merely an observation. Does it offend you, yeah?

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Merely an observation. Does it offend you, yeah?

Not at all! Anytime somebody thinks a more complicated system makes things easier I get a good chuckle.

#61 8 years ago

I'm not entirely sure how allowing your prospective audience more options is "more complicated", but then again, I'm not afraid of change. Or, for that matter, paying without change.

#62 8 years ago

I like it. Nothing's worse than those card readers like at D&B where a game is 175 points and you got to remember you paid $26.50 for 1400 points to figure out the price. Or was it $14 for 2650 points? I think there was a niner in there somewhere. Then you stand there like a damned fool trying to remember, and it's louder than all hell and wtf was in that drink and 3rd grade arithmetic is so tricksy

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm not entirely sure how allowing your prospective audience more options is "more complicated"

Like I said, I see it everytime I go shopping now. Instead of reaching into a pocket and pulling out money, which has been a tried and true method thruout the ages, people are fumbling with cards and mobile devices that just hold up the show for everybody else. It has become one big joke!

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Like I said, I see it everytime I go shopping now. Instead of reaching into a pocket and pulling out money, which has been a tried and true method thruout the ages, people are fumbling with cards and mobile devices that just hold up the show for everybody else. It has become one big joke!

I see little old ladies holding up express lines everywhere I go because they insist on paying exact change, in pennies. Embrace the future, don't be afraid of it.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Embrace the future, don't be afraid of it.

I'm not afraid of anything. But I pay with cash and wish those with their new methods would figure out how to do it without making a spectacle when the do. "Oh let me try this card then"... fools....

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not afraid of anything. But I pay with cash and wish those with their new methods would figure out how to do it without making a spectacle when the do. "Oh let me try this card then"... fools....

In all honesty, I've never, ever seen the scenario you're describing. Are you referring to people trying to use a card without enough funds? Cause that's a different story altogether.

I mean, it's not like I'm going to convince you of anything. I'm not part of the Pinside Boys Club.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, I am always amazed when pinheads with games in their own home are reluctant to pay $1 per play on location. I will happily pay $1 per play for clean and good playing games. That is way less thanthey cost me as a kid (inflation adjusted) and back then I did not have hardly any funds.

I'm always amazed at the pinheads who don't have smart phones.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

You know i spend all my funny money on pins

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

In all honesty, I've never, ever seen the scenario you're describing.

I see it every day. Some pay cash, others don't know how much money they have available.

#70 8 years ago

I guess if you live in a ghetto area like central Orange County, I can see why you may be a little uncomfortable carrying cash around.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess if you live in a ghetto area like central Orange county, I can see why you may be a little uncomfortable carrying cash around.

Well we can't all be from Malibu

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess if you live in a ghetto area like central Orange county, I can see why you may be a little uncomfortable carrying cash around.

You have GOT to be shitting me!

Besides, I moved here from San Diego to help take care of a loved one with ALS. Sometimes one needs to make sacrifices to help others.

Richard.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from setzkor:

I can see the convenience factor... But I still break out the quarters when I go to Sun Ray even if it's now more expensive. I don't need my credit card and now payrange tracking every bar I go into.
    Nothing says privacy like cash. Tinfoil hat firmly in place ....

Lets hope cash still stays around for a long time!! Once that is gone, total control by the good ol government. I no like....

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well we can't all be from Malibu

I see what you did there.

#75 8 years ago

I'm awaiting the Bitcoin Super Value option myself.

#76 8 years ago

I was hoping they'd make it so I could use these.

download_(4)_(resized).jpgdownload_(4)_(resized).jpg

#77 8 years ago

2 credits per quarter, 5 balls per game.

#78 8 years ago

I love cash. I used to have credit and debit cards but got sick of "Try swiping it again", or "It says declined" (even though it was good), or best of all when the credit card machines are down in the whole city (has happened multiple times) and everyone is running around like Town Square Madness mode in TZ, I whip out the good ol' green. Never declined, can always be "read" if the cashier is capable, is always the quickest way to pay and I don't have to sign anything or have my purchases tracked. No one has ever had to stand behind me rolling their eyes as I try to pay for something.

I'm not afraid of the future, I love technology but not with my money. I also don't have to worry about someone stealing my card or phone (or losing it) and them having access to my money.

If this works well for the ops, good for them! But they'll just have to deal with my dirty old cash as well, until it's not accepted anymore I guess.

-Old man rant done!-

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from cornycrunch:

I'm awaiting the Bitcoin Super Value option myself.

I was so amazed when I saw a Bitcoin ATM in Vegas! But the gold dispensing ATM was even cooler.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

I whip out the good ol' green. Never declined

Until the computerized cash register stops working.

#81 8 years ago

Imagine the operator being able to market directly through payrange to its best customers. Things like, get your friends to download the app and get a free game. Stuff like that can flat out increase your profits, and bring more people to the games and more importantly to the bar... its a genius idea, marketing directly to pin players. The 4% take on the dollar has to offset the coin jams, and the down games..

#82 8 years ago

So the real question for those that don't have cash is, where is your money?

images_(resized).jpgimages_(resized).jpg

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZEN:

Imagine the operator being able to market directly through payrange to its best customers.

Me, I'd hate to lose the human interaction with my customers, best or not.

My customers are more to me than just mindless bodies that walk in and play with their phone and then push flipper buttons on a cabinet.
    They get welcomed when they walk in, thanked for their patronage when they leave. And they know who to see if they have a problem or want to visit and find out what is new in pinball.

That's just me though. Maybe I am too old to handle change, or maybe I am an a hole.

Disclaimer : Somethings are more important than profits.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So the real question for those that don't have cash is, where is your money?

images_(resized).jpg

It's in my bank account. Let me guess, banks are the devils tool too? Number of the beast?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

My customers are more to me than just mindless bodies that walk in and play with their phone and then push flipper buttons on a cabinet.
    They get welcomed when they walk in, thanked for their patronage when they leave. And they know who to see if they have a problem or want to visit and find out what is new in pinball.
    That's just me though. Maybe I am too old to handle change, or maybe I am an a hole.

Sigh. For all of the ish people talk around here, there are quite a few of you with really thin skins.

Do you REALLY think the point I was trying to make was "get your pins outfitted with this phone app so you don't have to talk to the creatins that walk in!!1"?

More options = more options. More options =/= more ways to not have to talk to people.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

It's in my bank account. Let me guess, banks are the devils tool too? Number of the beast?

If you think that's a safe place. But if you are going to buy a pinball machine, it might be a good idea to stop by there and pick up some CASH.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Anyone else seeing "Pay with your phone" pinball machines in your area?
    Here is a picture of two machines at "Bent Brew Stillery" , Roseville, MN
    "Pay Range" is the app.

Hey Scott, RePlay did a story a few months ago about Pelicanos setup at Sun Ray Lanes using PayRange. I have thought about using it since reading the article, but i have 50+ vending/amusement machines at the location where i'd be interested in trying it out and would need $3k to equip all of my machines with their hardware.

I also already have two change machines and a ATM in there so that has me reluctant to purchase, but i still might try it with a few of my popular machines to see if it helps. I'm game for anything that will help with earnings these days and my spot is mostly college kids carrying plastic so i could see it helping with some vending and arcade machines.

Let me know if you want me to send you the RePlay issue it's a four page write-up and Tony shares some of PayRanges benefits so far. I thought it was an interesting article.

20160222_190810_(resized).jpg20160222_190810_(resized).jpg

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you think that's a safe place. But if you are going to buy a pinball machine, it might be a good idea to stop by there and pick up some CASH.

Good to know! It's a shame the guy I bought my Monte Carlo from insisted on a Cashiers Check.

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I see little old ladies holding up express lines everywhere I go because they insist on paying exact change, in pennies.

"Goobidy gooby goop. That's the way it was and we LIKED IT!"

ThatsTheWayItWasAndWeLikedIt!_(resized).jpegThatsTheWayItWasAndWeLikedIt!_(resized).jpeg

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

"Goobidy gooby goop. That's the way it was and we LIKED IT!"

ThatsTheWayItWasAndWeLikedIt!_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#91 8 years ago

I've got it on games in two locations. I was expecting a bit quicker adoption, but it's slowly ramping up. PayRange was 30% of the coin drop in my location that doesn't have a change machine.

I can see individual transactions over time, but I don't know who is using the app. But when it's 20 games in a row of TAF, I can make a pretty good guess. I think it's much more widely used by heavy regulars, but that's just anecdotal because I've never seen someone I don't know by name using it at either location. Also anecdotally, I've had at least two people tell me that they only stopped by that night because of PayRange...as they had no cash on them at the time. It does seem easier for people to play "just one more game" while using the app, vs having to convert cash to quarters.

Android users have been complaining that it takes too long to connect, but I've been told an update is on the way.

The device is bluetooth, and doesn't receive any payment info from the customers...just "pulse coin switch x times". It's around $50 if you have a bill acceptor, and if not, it's more like $70. To order direct from them, I think you need to get 12+ devices...otherwise there is a re-seller I believe?

It's definitely fun to look online and see if your machines are getting played, but you only know if people are using the app. I would love to see some more advanced metrics, or for example, a notification when suddenly one of my devices hasn't been used in a week (I unplugged it from the service outlet during a collection). Users have been surprised that I have no way of reaching them directly due to their use of the app.

I haven't experimented with any discounts or rewards yet. I will definitely do that eventually. Hoping there is a good way to work out something like: "play all day for $20", though I haven't tried yet. For me to have that ability without the app would mean being down there all day with the games on free play, standing at the door like a bouncer and not letting people in the room without the cover charge.

It's very difficult to say how much revenue has gone up since I started using PayRange. The coin drop wasn't a consistent enough line beforehand. But even the coin drop only goes up 5%, it would still be worth it in the long term. Since it still feels like I'm in the adoption stage (there are some regulars who are just now coming around after 2 months) - but once new users start to level off, I think that will be a good excuse to test out some rewards/specials.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from roc-noc:

What's a smart phone? You mean they make phones that mount on your kitchen wall that have push buttons instead of a rotary dial? My how the world changes so fast these days........
    I've been without a "smart phone", Paypal, and a credit card all these years and I'm not about to start using any of them now. Cash is king !!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Cash is king !!

Yep.

Top-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums_(resized).jpgTop-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums_(resized).jpg

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You are missing my point. You would have more customers walk through the door to interact with.. your best customers are already coming in, imagine if you bring in foot traffic of an additional 20 new people who can now interact commercially with somthing comfortable to THEM. It seems pretty powerful to me.

This has the potential to open up our hobby to many additional players. The operator can then market to them, a monthly coupon on their phone, "come on in and play a game on me" bring a freind... I dunno, sounds like potential to include more people, and pinball machines make more money with more people..

I have been in your shop three times Lloyd, and I love the interaction and the discussions we have had... I too wouldnt want to lose that....

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep.

Top-Ten-Johnny-Cash-Albums_(resized).jpg

A lot of us miss JC.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Until the computerized cash register stops working.

Sorry, but you got that one backwards. When the Cash register goes down, Cash is pretty much the only option. You can't use a Smart Phone or Credit card (weather a magnetic strip or chip) if the register isn't working.

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Welcome to the human race.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Sorry, but you got that one backwards. When the Cash register goes down, Cash is pretty much the only option. You can't use a Smart Phone or Credit card (weather a magnetic strip or chip) if the register isn't working.

How often does that happen? I'm sure it can occur but I have never personally experienced a register going down and not being able to pay with a credit card so it's either not that common or I just been very lucky.

#99 8 years ago

Does anyone here remember (between 10-15 years ago)when the EDS clearinghouse for interbank cash withdrawls was closed for five days due to a snow storm that caused a partial roof collapse?

No ATM withdrawals unless you were using your own banks' ATM. Cash was certainly king during that time.

A fine mess for US travelers overseas. Having an American Express card was very handy at the time as AMEX allowed cash withdrawals against the card and did not enforce a tie-in to a bank account.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

How often does that happen? I'm sure it can occur but I have personally never experienced a register going down and not being able to pay with a credit card so it's either not that common or I just been very lucky.

A lot more than you think (and I work on Point of Sales equipment). And it's not so much luck, but you might have made a purchase with a credit card at a certain Point of Sale terminal, and five minutes later, The card reader or something else goes down and a dozen or so people who came up after you can't use a card. If they're lucky there's more than one register where they're at and someone else can do a transaction (IF there's someone to ring you up that is). But there are vendors and locations that only have one terminal or cashier available at times, and when the hardware is down, cash is the only option.

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-with-your-phone-is-this-a-common-thing-yet/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.