Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by lazyfatdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm just starting the process I've finding my first pin. The stars have finally aligned around budget, space and wife's approval, so I'm sorting through all the various options and trying to figure out what exactly I want, where to get it, etc.

I wanted to run something by you guys just to make sure I'm not crazy:

I stopped by a local game room store to get a sense of inventory and prices, figuring that buying local would be easiest. They had a new MET pro (they are not a Stern dealer) and were asking approximately $7500. Pro, not premium or LE. After I noted that was about $2000 more than MSRP, he explained that the markup is because they will set it up, warranty it for 30 days, and then service it for as long as I own it. The service isn't free, but he's claiming that in the area (Charlotte) it is really difficult to find someone who will service your machine, so having them available to make house calls is really valuable.

This may make sense to some purchasers, but I don't see the value. Am I seriously underestimating the complexity and cost of maintaining a newer machine? To give you a sense of my skill set, I'm not a mechanical genius, but I've built plenty of gaming PCs and have rebuilt automotive and motorcycle engines.

#2 5 years ago

That's ridiculous. If it included lifetime support and maintenance, MAYBE, but you're paying $2k for "honor" of paying them more to come fix it? No thanks. You'll be able to find local folks that can help you out, and the forums are also invaluable. I came in with the same level of experience nearly 2 years ago, and a couple of months ago I rebuilt the flippers for my T2, so... It's hard, but it's not that hard.

#3 5 years ago

I can see an additional option for the support but built into the price? Nope. Look elsewhere.

#4 5 years ago

I'm an idiot and I did just fine with my first machine, that guy is shady as hell!

Look for a nice HUO pro for around $4500-$5000 depending on color DMD and condition. The bonus is it will have any issues that pop up with a New In Box corrected (wonky switches etc...).

#5 5 years ago

You shouldn’t need any support if you have any amount of mechanical or electrical aptitude. If you run into s problem, post here and you’ll get the help you need.
    Of course the answer to whether or not you’ll be able to do it on your own depends on the issue. But the vast majority of issues are extremely basic.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from lazyfatdog:

To give you a sense of my skill set, I'm not a mechanical genius, but I've built plenty of gaming PCs and have rebuilt automotive and motorcycle engines.

In my eyes you ARE a mechanical genius. But either way, I’m not sure I’d pay $200 to get the services they’re selling, much less $2000. As said before, that’s ridiculous and quite frankly taking advantage of people who don’t know better.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from lazyfatdog:

Am I seriously underestimating the complexity and cost of maintaining a newer machine?

Nope. They're just over-charging.

Where are you located? You could check with some of the pinball distributors near you to see if they still have MET's in stock. If not, you could always go with a HUO game from a private seller.

#8 5 years ago

I might expect some tweaking and adjusting on a brand new game, but as for actual repairs? In a home setting? Probably years down the road, even rebuilding the flippers.

Go elsewhere.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going elsewhere, as I think the store catered more to impulse buyers. The IJ4 for $7500 was another turn off.

For years my dream was to own TAF, as I spent hours and hours playing that pin in college, but some of the newer (or new) Stern pins and Chicago Gaming remakes are looking really interesting.

#10 5 years ago

Don’t let that guy scam you, buy from a reputable distributor like @doughslingers. He’s based in VA but goes to NC a lot. I think Buddy just sold a nib Metallica for around $5k. Plenty of good help in the Carolina pinball and arcade Facebook group too

#11 5 years ago

This guy is a total douche bag.....run for the hills....its a $5000 game...

#12 5 years ago

Run don't walk. Something tells me he's in Rock Hill?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Run don't walk. Something tells me he's in Rock Hill?

Inside 485, but not far from Rock Hill.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pay-a-premium-for-support?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.